PDA

View Full Version : Stutter problem with Battlefield 3! please help!

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Alright so i've got this really strange choppy/stuttery problem with BF3.

My game runs for the most part very smoothly, as in, my character manuevering through the world and what not, but all the other players and vehicles display this jerkiness/stutteriness/unsmoothness about them.

I am unsure if this is microstuttering, but I think that would be unlikely because I am only running a single card (MSI 580 Ligthning 1.5gb).

I have disabled Hyperthreading, something thought to have brought about a fix to stutter related problems, but it has not aided me.

I have enabled Vsync, but that has also not aided me.

I have tried a couple different drivers, some official and some beta, and neither have gotten rid of the stuttering

Another thing to note, when interacting with other players via Melee animation, the stuttering is at its greatest where i'm literally watching a slide show of my guy stabbing the guy. The framerate, however, does NOT drop during these animations, in fact, it stays 60+ during these animations, but it is still choppy as all hell.

BTW the single player runs with ZERO stutter. This is purely multiplayer stutter/jerkiness that I am experiencing. Does this have something to do with my latency/connection?

All I can say is that my game is not smooth, despite the fact that the framerate is very much in the 60+ fps range.

does this have anything to do with "network interpolation setting" which I have seen being mentioned in the DEC 6 patch?

btw, my internet connection is blisteringly fast, I am on the college network

Thanks.

Section_25
12-04-2011, 05:33 AM
It sounds like what you are experiencing is server lag. Try to choose a server with the lowest ping for your location and see if it helps.

G_Sup
12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Try reading this: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1323124

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 09:22 AM
It sounds like what you are experiencing is server lag. Try to choose a server with the lowest ping for your location and see if it helps.

thats what I have been doing--ive been joining 6-15 ping servers consistently, and from the big ones to the smaller ones I have still been experiencing this issue

G_Sup
12-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Download MSI Afterburner and tell me what your MAX VRAM usage is ingame.

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Download MSI Afterburner and tell me what your MAX VRAM usage is ingame.

it is averaging about 1220 mb (or whatever measurement it is) after a 10 minute match

fortunehunters
12-04-2011, 03:16 PM
it is averaging about 1220 mb (or whatever measurement it is) after a 10 minute match

Then you should consider lowering detail settings or resolution if you are on a 1gig card. I was having shutter issue before. Then found out that my 1gig 6870 can't take all the high res textures/models...

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Then you should consider lowering detail settings or resolution if you are on a 1gig card. I was having shutter issue before. Then found out that my 1gig 6870 can't take all the high res textures/models...

im on a 1.5gb card...and how can this be? GTX 580 should be able to max this game on ultra no problem, without stuttering, altough at a framerate of 40-50

also, I tested the game at lowest settings available and things STILL stutter

FF4567
12-04-2011, 04:03 PM
im on a 1.5gb card...and how can this be? GTX 580 should be able to max this game on ultra no problem, without stuttering, altough at a framerate of 40-50

also, I tested the game at lowest settings available and things STILL stutter

BF3 was designed to put high end Graphics cards to shame, it's just how 'tis.

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
BF3 was designed to put high end Graphics cards to shame, it's just how 'tis.

yea but I see other folks with the same card and they are running it just fine on ultra

plychucky
12-04-2011, 04:38 PM
i have a 6870 and can max it out with 50-70 fps...you should be able to max it with that card...what do you have for a processor?

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 04:56 PM
i have a 6870 and can max it out with 50-70 fps...you should be able to max it with that card...what do you have for a processor?

i7 920 at stock 2.66

-B.A.Frayd-
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Sounds like network lag to me. What kind of ISP connection are you using?

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Sounds like network lag to me. What kind of ISP connection are you using?

well, I'm connected via ethernet to a college network, not really sure what ISP I am using though

I just tested speed at speedtest.net and I've got 4 ping, 15.49mb/s download rate, 58.51 mb/s upload rate

Could my problem be potentially fixed with the dec. 6 patch addition of "network interpolation setting" slider bars in the options menu?

G_Sup
12-04-2011, 09:49 PM
What are your temps with that card. VRAM isn't your prob. What res are you playing at on your monitor? Make sure you do a clean install of your Nvidia drivers and that you are using the 285.79 beta's.

Clean install: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372

Singing_gardner
12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
What are your temps with that card. VRAM isn't your prob. What res are you playing at on your monitor? Make sure you do a clean install of your Nvidia drivers and that you are using the 285.79 beta's.

Clean install: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372

Temps are not at the point of overheating--about 70c on load, and its because my case has crap for airflow. I have actually already done a clean install twice, and am playing at 1920x1080

H E X E N
12-05-2011, 12:09 AM
You first want to pin the problem down to your machine or the connection you have. It sounds like a connection issue to me. I know that has already been mentioned but I just don't see it being a problem with your hardware.

FYI - Most college campuses have blazing fast speeds, but have a set limit of bandwidth they can allocate to their students and dorms. Even if it's insanely fast, the more people on, the less speed you're personally going to see.

Find some others that play BF3 on your campus to see if they have issues. You want to cross off as many possibilities as you can.

Also, try turning "Raw Input" for your mouse on and off. It's unlikely the culprit but couldn't hurt to check. I'd also try running everything on medium settings to see if your performance improves. If it doesn't, you definitely know it's a connection problem.

Be sure to check your wires and connection too. Check your cat 5 cable for cuts if you're still using a hardline. Try different ports on your router if you have one. If you use wireless, try a hard line.

I'm not saying any of these recommendations will work, but it's worth a shot if you haven't tried them yet. Best of luck.

rabaldeagle
12-05-2011, 02:38 AM
It doesn't sound gpu related given that you can run SP problem free. Looks like your bandwidth is fine but how about jitter and packet loss? Try pinging a server with something like ping plotter to ensure your link is consistent.

squall0833
12-05-2011, 07:47 AM
what kind of stuttering?

micro suttering? or massive random freezing in game?

check ur windows Sound settings , change it to 24bit 96000Hz or lower than that, see if it helps

G_Sup
12-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Temps are not at the point of overheating--about 70c on load, and its because my case has crap for airflow. I have actually already done a clean install twice, and am playing at 1920x1080

Temps are fine, VRAM is fine and since it is happening with settings at medium as well, it appears to be something else. What are your system specs? Possibly CPU related?

Singing_gardner
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
what kind of stuttering?

micro suttering? or massive random freezing in game?

check ur windows Sound settings , change it to 24bit 96000Hz or lower than that, see if it helps

It isn't microstuttering, or at least I don't believe it matches the description of it.

My screen in motion is perfectly fluid, sprinting across the battlefield and what not, the screen is not stuttery, which is the main thing with microstuttering

However, the way that other players move around, especially in kill cam, is very glitchery/jittery, like they are lagging a bit. Imagine a perfectly fluid 60fps game and you run up and knife a guy and everything around you is still running perfectly fluid in 60fps but the knife animation between you and the enemy is choppy, almost like watching a slide show.

Tank turrets do not pivot smoothly, they glitch from one spot to the other, and parts of the tank are also glitchy/jittery.

Enemy ragdolls often fall in a slide show like fashion; their bodies either fall to the ground very choppishly or fly in the air choppishly, almost like its lagging.

I will try altering sound tho

Singing_gardner
12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Temps are fine, VRAM is fine and since it is happening with settings at medium as well, it appears to be something else. What are your system specs? Possibly CPU related?

I don't believe it is CPU related in the sense that the CPU is bottlenecking the card; it is a i7 920 @ 2.66.

I tried overclocking to 3.4 and achieved a stable clock but the problem persisted, with minimal framerate gain, further confirming the fact that BF3 is mainly a GPU dependent game and CPU clock doesn't necessarily take that big of a role as long as its a quad core, which mine is.

I have 9 GB DDR3 Ram so that shouldn't be a proble,

I am using an adequate power supply, the OCZ Series 750w, which should more than power my rig

My motherboard is the Rampage II Gene. Don't know much else beyond that.

I am for the msot part running all components of my PC at stock clocks. NOthing is being overclocked.

Running 1 1920x1080 display.

Running 1 single MSI gtx 580 Lightning

Singing_gardner
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Just played a 12 player game on a small map with LOW ping 10 to see what would happen

problem persisted

G_Sup
12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Hmmmm, it would be interesting if you could take your box off campus and test it on another ISP. Your puter sounds adequate, but since it's only in MP and it's only the other character's animations it seems apparent that it's something to do with the network.

Singing_gardner
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Dear lord the new patch increased my problem 10 fold, the lagginess of every game I enter is ourageous, no matter how low the ping

MrBernz
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
probably not the fix your looking for but worth a shot.

-did you uncheck enable origin overlay during gaming? under the settings for origin

or this?

- press ctrl+alt+delete>taskmanager and then process and set bf3.exe on high priority.

-try taking your pc to a house w/ internet instead of the schools. maybe somekind of filtering. (wild guess but remembered hearing some people playing from universities having issues w/ online gaming)

Singing_gardner
12-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I will have to wait until christmas to try my PC at a different house

schulznfels
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
My system specs are a lot lower (new old quad core 775, 790i ultra sil, 8 gb ddr3, 560ti, 650 psu, sata 2..), but I have experienced a plethora of issues since the first patch and not so much with the recent one.
I have done my homework and have done a lot of trial and error experience with regards to memory (quantity and overclocking), a few reg settings, and overclocking (memory, fsb, and graphics card). The only thing that has minimized my crashing to an initial crash or two is reducing my overclocking. I have had my system OC'd for quite sometime and stable.
BF3 is a stress test in the nth degree. BF3 is hungry. Overclocking just amplifies any instability your components may have have. I suppose it is like always having spectrum spread set to enable when your rig is overclocked.
I can only assume that the stress that BF3 places on pc components(down to the com port that is disabled in your bios :?). When you compile this with with potential bottlenecking and/or network lag, as recently touched upon by MrBernz, you potential get a smoker trying to jog a marathon.

When BF3 stutters for me, my temps are very reasonable, along with memory and cpu usage. My ping is usually in the 20-40 range.

Lastly, I even got my pc a prosta-bot the other night since i wanted to make sure it would not be under abnormal 'load.'

Cheers -273C

Singing_gardner
12-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Perhaps I ought to make a vidya displaying precisely what I mean by stuttering in my specific case, because as far as I know its atypical

TNForty
12-07-2011, 12:55 AM
I have the same issue game plays smooth but animations are jerky, broken etc.

Singing_gardner
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I have the same issue game plays smooth but animations are jerky, broken etc.

woohoo!

someone else has my problem

Anyhow, I'm going to try and disable firewall and see if that impacts anything

wait a sec, so what you're saying is your screen isn't stuttering but anything involving other players is stuttering?

Singing_gardner
12-07-2011, 03:09 PM
here I made some videos

Multiplayer demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAC4DJH290M

Single player demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9hRDc_Mms

Singing_gardner
12-08-2011, 08:59 AM
bumpn

G_Sup
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Gardner. It has to be some kind of network issue. Wait til christmas when you can bring your box elsewhere for testing.

Singing_gardner
12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Gardner. It has to be some kind of network issue. Wait til christmas when you can bring your box elsewhere for testing.

sorry its just frustrating that I gotta deal with this I mean idk if it could be the card because I just purchased it or whats going on

G_Sup
12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Maybe give this a go? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279890

Singing_gardner
12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe give this a go? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279890

interesting-until now I haven't thought about adjusting the slider in increments, only in all the way up or all the way down

Is he suggesting that even if I have the slider all the way to the right, which would mean the lowest amount of stuttering in a trade for poor hit reg, that that may not guarantee the least amoutn of stuttering, and that in fact there is an intermediate position at which I ought to have the slider at and at that position neither all the way to the left or all the way to the right I will find the "sweet spot"?

I am at lecture right now as I type this comment but as soon as I return to the dorm I'll give this fix a shot

Coquito
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
here I made some videos

Multiplayer demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAC4DJH290M

Single player demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9hRDc_Mms

My case is worse. I would run and turn a corner to avoid being killed only to find myself back where I was a few seconds ago right in front of an enemy. As if I teleported back. :confused:
Is there a name for that?
This just started happening today and I play on servers with pings below 100 or lower.

Coquito
12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279890

CCCowboy
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
interesting-until now I haven't thought about adjusting the slider in increments, only in all the way up or all the way down

Is he suggesting that even if I have the slider all the way to the right, which would mean the lowest amount of stuttering in a trade for poor hit reg, that that may not guarantee the least amoutn of stuttering, and that in fact there is an intermediate position at which I ought to have the slider at and at that position neither all the way to the left or all the way to the right I will find the "sweet spot"?

I am at lecture right now as I type this comment but as soon as I return to the dorm I'll give this fix a shot

It's different for everyone...'extreme left' or 'extreme right' made the game play worse for most people, but not all - you have to find your own 'sweet spot' because everybody has there own unique computer, internet ping, different latency, etc.

I myself haven't touched the slider because the game works great as is, but lots of people are saying this slider is making an awesome difference for them.

:)

Singing_gardner
12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
My case is worse. I would run and turn a corner to avoid being killed only to find myself back where I was a few seconds ago right in front of an enemy. As if I teleported back. :confused:
Is there a name for that?
This just started happening today and I play on servers with pings below 100 or lower.

your case sounds like some bad lag if you are teleporting places, but it may be related to what me and others are experiencing as well

Singing_gardner
12-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Um was there a patch recently?

and if so did anyone elses problem that is similar to me get their problem fixed, because mine most certainly isn't fixed yet

forumuser622
12-13-2011, 05:50 PM
The latest nvidia beta driver was supposed to stop stuttering for some older cards. I myself had ran battlefield3 on GTX580 and only got very minor stuttering during killcam. I now run GTX580 SLI and is about the same. There is basically no stuttering, except during some killcam replays. But it is so minor, it's barely noticiable. You really should see if this is a network issue. Every graphical problem I had before in MP also occurred in single player and coop. Graphic card issues are consistent across the game usually.

Singing_gardner
12-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow just got home to try the game out on my home network as oppose to college network

nobody was on in the house except me

Joined a very low ping server (10)

it is a very fast service (roadrunner)

but it STILL ♥♥♥♥ING STUTTERS

i honestly feel like I should get a refund for this ♥♥♥♥, why is the game so broken for me? Seriously why

laazrockit
12-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Based on your video it looks like network lag, your fps isn't really dropping. Either that or its some sort of glitchiness with the nvidia drivers. I don't have any issues like that on my 6850.

forumuser622
12-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Have you tried the latest nvidia driver which just came out a day or two ago? BTW microstuttering are usually for people who use SLI/reversed their SLI bridges or didn't seat the cards in right.

Barker
02-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Sorry for necro'ing this, but I seem to have the same problem (maybe even more severe) and there's a solution that helped me a bit with stuttering.

First, you might want to enter those commands into the console (or make a 'user.cfg' file in the main game directory):

RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1 (or 0)

This made stuttering a little less annoying, but still didn't eliminate it at all. What really helped was putting a framerate cap with this command:

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 30 (30 worked for me, but you might set it higher depending on your rig). While this command eliminated stuttering completely, now I'm getting low fps on some parts of the maps (23-29) even on medium settings (the game reccomends high for me). And knife takedown animations are still choppy unfortunately. Hope it helps.

Still, I'd rather have this issue adressed correctly in the next patch.