PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge 2

neural_jam
12-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's back on but...

"...we know what strengths we had, and what weaknesses we had in that game. If we were to release a new game, we’d know what to improve and how to reach a broader audience. So I definitely think there’s a market there."

http://spong.com/article/25519/DICE-Gamers-Are-Ready-For-Mirrors-Edge-2

They're going to ruin it, aren't they? o_o

mopey236
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't think so. What made Mirrors Edge so special to me was the setting and atmosphere and I don't think they will change those. The controls and some gameplay elements can be changed and I will not really care.

ThyArtIsMurder
12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
I doubt they will ruin it. They will probably keep it as a similar style and if they do time trials, they will probably make a few maps similar to the pure time trial DLC. I'd also assume there would be either the same amount or less of gunplay in the sequel. I'm desperately hoping they include a multiplayer race mode, and maybe even capture the flag.

StitchMySmile
01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
To me the feel of the city, and the story is what made the game so great. I agree with the previous posts, They won't ruin what makes this game special. I can't wait to see what improvments they make.

Maxi
01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
An open world would be the only thing I would change

DPW
01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
I just hope "broader audience" doesn't mean "more FPS stuff". Frankly, I always thought the combat was the weakest part of ME-- and frankly out of character for Faith, who is a runner, not a fighter.

My biggest gripes with ME were the occasionally fiddly controls. I hesitate to say "make it easier to do moves", but truthfully, it was pretty frustrating at first. A difficulty slider that increased the target box for pulling off (for example) a wall jump might go a long way to increasing market appeal.

Bagel CB
02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
So what's going on with this game? Still in development?

Roy_Burns
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Noone really knows, look this site for some recent tweets of a DICe-employee: http://on-mirrors-edge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5230

Max Conrad
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I bet it's going to be Origin only -_-

Kendo
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
DICE is awesome though :D

zombieh
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
if it is origin only i'm gonna be pissed. ofcourse there will be console versions as well though.

PsYcHo126
02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm afraid they turn it into an action shooter and there is only like 10% parcour :( That would suck. I mean, in Mirrors Edge you didn't need the weapons. You could use them, but you didn't had to.

I hope it stays like this with ME2.

@zombieh: It's 100% origin only. It's an EA game from a developer that is owned by EA (DICE). 100% origin only ;) I can live with it though.

banzaigtv
02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I recently heard that ME2 is going to use the same Frostbite 2 graphics engine as with Battlefield 3 and DirectX 11 with very high system requirements. Looks like some of us will need to upgrade our graphics cards for this one.

MADDOGGE
02-23-2012, 06:48 PM
If it doesn't stick to the same graphics style, parkor and no need to kill/use weapons, it will be a waste to me. I love ME for the adrenaline rush of non stop parkor. I don't need to see another game I like re-imagined in a sequel. If they are going to causalize the game to bring it to a larger market then forget it. The only thing I thought strange were the "Esurance" style cartoon cutsences.

NY_Knux
02-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I thought the cutscenes were a shame. I'm all for nice artstyles, but ME was a BEAUTIFUL game, that alone could have had nice cutscenes. infamous did the same thing, and it was actually really hard to tell what was going on.

halororor
02-24-2012, 05:13 AM
They can (and should, for fear of ruining it) keep the gameplay exactly like it is and just gives us a new world to explore, and I'd buy it.

Stryk
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
I just hope "broader audience" doesn't mean "more FPS stuff". Frankly, I always thought the combat was the weakest part of ME-- and frankly out of character for Faith, who is a runner, not a fighter.

This is exactly what they mean. Leverage the fanbase for free advertising while serving up run-of-the-mill fps game.

rmartinezdl
02-24-2012, 08:32 AM
I bet it's going to be Origin only -_-

Yep, you bet it.

halororor
02-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Broader audience basically means an FPS with limited freerunning sections.

Nilpferdkoenig
02-25-2012, 07:41 AM
If they do make a second part, they should seriously rework or remove the combat, add good animations (this is a game that is entirely built around awesome physical abilities, why does everybody move like a wind up action figure?) and learn how to set a checkpoint. I'm sick of redoing the same three minutes of jumps over and over again for the one hard part.

Otherwise, sure.

SeanConnery
02-25-2012, 08:07 AM
An open world would be the only thing I would change

this....

SirDrexl
03-21-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't think it should be open world. It's not GTA. Mirror's Edge is about always moving forward, getting through a course as quickly as you can. It's like a racing game with rhythm elements. Making it open world would encourage you to slow down and explore. You would lose the sense of urgency.

Plus, the game relies on scripted elements, like when you jump on the helicopter and it carries you over to the next part of the course. In an open world game, you expect to go anywhere, so how do you get back on top of the building? Does the helicopter follow you around?

So since it's not a shooter, you're not driving any vehicles, and you're not destroying stuff like in Just Cause, what would an open world have to offer? More collectibles. Do you really want to be hunting around for stuff, instead of running? I don't, not in this game. Just IMHO.

Vorlath
04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I agree it shouldn't be an open world, but I wouldn't mind a few levels where you're SHOWN a few destinations with a wide open area with several possible paths (not just more experienced paths) and you have to get there. They also give you a map of the area. If it's on rooftops, that's not so difficult. Inside, it'd be tougher, but even some simple views of the rooms, maybe security camera feeds, would be nice. Then you're not going in blind.

That's the only part of the game I disliked. I had to fail before I succeeded. But I absolutely loved the entire game, especially the running on walls and then being able to leap forward or turn around and push off. In fact, I think this is probably one of my favourite games ever. The graphics just look so nice. I'd buy a sequel right away.

SinisterGimp
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
...In fact, I think this is probably one of my favourite games ever. The graphics just look so nice. I'd buy a sequel right away.
Agreed.
Mirror's Edge will always remain in my top 5.

I enjoyed and still enjoy every single play through. I can't fault any aspect of it apart from the length [obviously] as it was incredibly short and the cartoon cutscenes.

I didn't think things like the combat, for example, was too overbearing or detracted anything from the whole free running experience in any way.
Not in my eyes anyway. If anything, it gave it that something extra.

I would quite happily pre-order way in advance a sequel knowing they had changed nothing, save for the two aforementioned things.

But each to their own I guess.

Dave3d
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I hope they dont do a Batman on ME 2.
Loved the first Batman, cant stand the second one.
Loved the first ME...

twitchedawake
04-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't think it should be open world. It's not GTA. Mirror's Edge is about always moving forward, getting through a course as quickly as you can. It's like a racing game with rhythm elements. Making it open world would encourage you to slow down and explore. You would lose the sense of urgency.

Plus, the game relies on scripted elements, like when you jump on the helicopter and it carries you over to the next part of the course. In an open world game, you expect to go anywhere, so how do you get back on top of the building? Does the helicopter follow you around?

So since it's not a shooter, you're not driving any vehicles, and you're not destroying stuff like in Just Cause, what would an open world have to offer? More collectibles. Do you really want to be hunting around for stuff, instead of running? I don't, not in this game. Just IMHO.

An open world would provide more options on paths to take, like they implied when the game was first coming out. Hold down the key to face the general direction you are meant to go, and find the fastest route to your destination, rather than following the few predetermined paths in the games. Imagine how much more fun time trials would be when you can find entirely different and faster paths in an open world.

In addition to the Capture The Flag multiplayer game mentioned before, add Tag and maybe a game of Keep Away.

The main thing I really want to see in the sequel? Being able to hit a friggin' blue and not lock onto him. Do you know how awesome it would be to simply be able to slide kick a cop in the gut, or sock him in the face and just keep running?

OptimusHun
04-26-2012, 06:00 AM
I just check the forum for the PhysX trick and I saw the thread title.
I hoped some positive info about the sequel. For me I don't care about Origin or some tweak in the gameplay. But please not downgrade the game. The first one is too easy on Hard withput runner vision. I also don't want to make it some generic/mainstream shooter. And I like if they keep the beautiful Unreal3 engine with the same art design. My PC can handle Frostbite2. :(