PDA

View Full Version : 50 perks - the limit?

DonHeller
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Is that the case? I get mixed info on the net, and don't feel like messing with console.
So far, I've designed my character as if I only have 50 points to work with, but some leeway wouldn't hurt.

OurSacrifice
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
lol

People act like this is a MMO and that you have to absolutely have the best possible build to survive.

_Depression
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
lol

People act like this is a MMO and that you have to absolutely have the best possible build to survive.

Which effects what exactly? I'm building around the concept of 50 perks as well, because there are certain perks I want (like the +100 carrying capacity perk, decapitation for both 1h and 2h (full 2h otherwise), full heavy armor smithing and full lockpicking except for wax key) and don't want to get locked out of them. So far I've spent 36 perks and I'm pretty much assured to get all the perks I definitely want, so knowing how many perks I'd have left will tell me what other perk(s) I can aim for.

superboyofmeat
12-06-2011, 09:23 AM
You can have 80 perks, since the hard level cap is 81.

DonHeller
12-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm not a 'powergamer', far from it. I just want to know whether I'll have enough perks to get things which fit my class (pure mage) or not. There are perks I kinda want, but would rather forego if there's a 50 perk limit.

Alavard
12-06-2011, 09:25 AM
You can have 80 perks, since the hard level cap is 81.

Anyone gone over level 50 personally that can confirm? googling the subject produces a wide range of answers.

toquio3
12-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Anyone gone over level 50 personally that can confirm? googling the subject produces a wide range of answers.

Im lvl 53 and Im still getting perks when I level.

deadlybydesign
12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Cut the guy some slack. While I'm not a fan of a min/max powergaming or MMOs, I was also curious.

superboyofmeat
12-06-2011, 09:37 AM

I have a level 76 character using a glitch (for videos n stuff). He has over 50 perks.

Tellic
12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Yup,

I'm lvl 76, and have had 75 perks awarded. Spent 71 with 4 spare atm while I ponder ;)

_Depression
12-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Great! I'm glad there are 80 perks I can get, I've been holding out on working up my Conjuration because of that.

DonHeller
12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Sweet, thanks. Guess I can afford to pick some misc perks and still get all my mage skills.

_Depression
12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Sweet, thanks. Guess I can afford to pick some misc perks and still get all my mage skills.

Actually, there are a total of 77 mage perks, so unless you're cutting out entire schools you'll be hard-pressed to fill them.

aaroc200
12-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I just wish there was a way, other than cheating, to drop a few perks that were somewhat useful when I picked them up, but are now completely useless and I would rather have placed them elsewhere.

Jano Ris
12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
this mod lets you change how many perks you get per level...it even has the option that you get bonus perk points every view levels....you are in complete control when you get how much perk points
Enhanced Perk Points by xenofixus (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1969)

So if you dont want to get 2 perks per level for example, but you feel like 1 perk per level is not enough, you can set it so that you get 2 perk points every 5 levels for example. So if you reach level 50 you will have 10 more perk points for example

Edit: Also I believe it has the option to reset your perks

DonHeller
12-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Actually, there are a total of 77 mage perks, so unless you're cutting out entire schools you'll be hard-pressed to fill them.

Oh yeah, not going to do Illusion. Just seems weaksauce now that paralyze was moved to alteration.

_Depression
12-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah, not going to do Illusion. Just seems weaksauce now that paralyze was moved to alteration.

I believe that gives you an extra 13 perks then. =)

DarkJeff
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Note that it gets harder to level the higher level you go.
"Character XP gained = Skill level acquired
Example: Training alchemy from 20 to 21 gives 21 Character XP points
XP required to level up your character = Current level * 25 + 75 "

"The skill XP needed for the next skill level grows near-quadratically"
So it will really slow down, since it takes more Char XP to increase in levels, and it takes more Skill XP to increase Skill Level and thus to get Char XP.

UESP (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling)

_Depression
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM

So it will really slow down, since it takes more Char XP to increase in levels, and it takes more Skill XP to increase Skill Level and thus to get Char XP.

Money training negates that a bit lol

DarkJeff
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Illusion is great. Frenzy is hilarious when you start a brawl between necromancers and their own Draugr Deathlords. Invisibility is just plain awesome. You can't cast it while you have another spell charged in the other hand, but you can charge it up first, before casting something else.

So I charge Invisibility in my left hand, then cast a Summons or Frenzy with my right, firing Invisibility immediately after. (Obviously you need to be in Sneak mode, and have Quiet Casting for this.)

I once killed an entire room full of high level Draugr by constantly casting Summon Flame Atronach, and since there's only a split second where Invisibility hasn't been cast yet, they can't find me. The Atronachs don't last long against Deathlords, but they're weak to fire and Flame Atronachs explode after they're killed.

That's right, I invisibly sent an endless wave of suicide bombers into a room of Draugr. It was awesome!

jpnole
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
this mod lets you change how many perks you get per level...it even has the option that you get bonus perk points every view levels....you are in complete control when you get how much perk points
Enhanced Perk Points by xenofixus (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1969)

So if you dont want to get 2 perks per level for example, but you feel like 1 perk per level is not enough, you can set it so that you get 2 perk points every 5 levels for example. So if you reach level 50 you will have 10 more perk points for example

Edit: Also I believe it has the option to reset your perks

So basically it's a mod that allows you to cheat by receiving more perks per level (or given range of levels) than the game was designed to give you.

Jano Ris
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
So basically it's a mod that allows you to cheat by receiving more perks per level (or given range of levels) than the game was designed to give you.

how you use it is your choice...you can also change it so that you get perk points only every 2 levels, like it was in fallout 3 i believe...like I said before...you have full control, how many and when you get perk points.

BadBeat
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM

It's what mods are for, to change the base gameplay experience to one you would enjoy more. I'll agree that you want your first playthrough to be with as few mods as possible, not just so you can get a sense of the game that was made by Bethesda, but so you know what you want to mod later on.

sloop1138
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM

I was just thinking about this a couple hours ago and was going to look it up when I got home to see how the levels were calculated. Now I don't need too, thanks!

Joeblowshmoe
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
His question is valid. unless you like button mashing and playing eeny meenee minie moe with perks, you should be choosing a " archetype", or "build" goal.

And there are perks higher in priority early on, seeing how it gets slower and slower to get perks, the higher the level you are.