PDA

View Full Version : RTW - 'failed to find Steam' ?

CtrlAltD1337
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Has anyone dealt with this before? When I try to launch Rome it just comes up with a message box saying "failed to find Steam." Google searched it, but all that came up were people getting a solution for different mods, which are of no good when I've got vanilla, and a forum search didn't bring anything up either.

What makes this happen and how can I just get it to play? Thanks

Satoru
12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Have you tried verifying the game cache?

CtrlAltD1337
12-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Have you tried verifying the game cache?

EDIT: I looked it up and did it - no difference, unfortunately. Any other ideas?

bakedpandabear
12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm having this exact same problem =/... I have no idea what to do

blanchflower
12-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I am also having the same problem recently. The solution to this is to delete the clientRegistryblob.

Once deleted the problem disappeared but when I play another Steam game and return to this game, the problem resurfaced. Thus I have to delete the clientRegistryblob again and it worked.

But deleting this file time and time again is tedious!

blanchflower
12-07-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm having this exact same problem =/... I have no idea what to do

Try running Steam as an admin. Close Steam completely and then right click on Steam choose run as admin. See if this works.

It worked for me. This is much better than manually always deleting the blob file.

:)

bakedpandabear
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks blanchflower =]! I'll try the administrator thing now! Just in case it doesn't work though.... where do i find the clientregistryblob?

EDIT: Running as administrator fixed my problem! Thank you =]

blanchflower
12-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Or if you don't want to run as an administrator, you can do the following. I asked customer support for the solution of this and this is what they replied me:

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Additionally, please complete this process for your installed game(s):

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=7750-TSHN-2510

Hope this helps!

Shawnicus
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I have mods and none of these steps have worked

bobsbarricades
12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Or if you don't want to run as an administrator, you can do the following. I asked customer support for the solution of this and this is what they replied me:

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Additionally, please complete this process for your installed game(s):

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=7750-TSHN-2510

Hope this helps!

after freaking me out and making me think I might've lost 100 hours of SKyrim save, I can say that this method did not help me - vanilla win 7 64 bit

as I deleted clientRegistry.blob in doing that I don't know if it will work either.

Khazadom
12-29-2011, 09:55 PM
I get this error occasionally aswell - restarting Steam (or if it won't restart -since it thinks RTW is open- shutting it down forcibly from task manager manually and then restarting) does the trick for me. I wonder what is causing this problem.

bobsbarricades
12-30-2011, 01:22 PM
strange, I booted up this morning and it worked! hope it keeps workin ^o^

Bahadır Özen
12-30-2011, 02:58 PM
What is this i give money and i buy RTW Alexander but Steam dont give me the CD Key this is crime and robbery.

einmalposter
12-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Had this issue after downloading it. Restarted Steam (still as a non-admin user) and it just worked.