PDA

View Full Version : Savegames deleted after restart

Shift0
12-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi!

I uninstalled Skyrim by deleting it via Steam. Additionally I manually deleted the folder C:\User\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

Then I reinstalled it. I can save the game and load it as long as I don't turn of my computer, but as soon as i restart, I can't load my savegames (the only available option in the main menu is Start New Game). The game also detects the optimal graphic settings again after every restart. The folder C:\User\Documents\My Games\Skyrim (where the savegames would go usually) does not exist and I can't create it.

Can anyone help me? Is there an alternative place where the savegames are put to (because they seem to be saved somewhere as long as I don't reboot).

Thank you in advance :)

666Boothy
12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Are you sure you got the path right? As I wouldn't expect to see a 'C:\User\' path in Windows.

What OS are you on? If Win 7 or Vista, then the paths don't look right.

Default save game location for Skyrim is here:

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves

Shift0
12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I got Windows 7. You're right about the folder path, but in C:\Users\<YourUserName>\ there is no Documents folder. But there is a documents folder in C:\Users\Public\ (I don't know that's the right name since I only got the german version of Windows).

DarkJeff
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I uninstalled Skyrim by deleting it via Steam.

Note that if you put in mods, those may not have been removed. Dunno if that's relevant here though.

Shift0
12-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I had a few mods installed, so thank you for that information.

It seems like the problem is not Skyrim specific because my GTA IV save files are missing, too. Probably I screwed up when I deleted the Documents folder. :/

But I'm still wondering where Skyrim puts the save files that I can load as long as I don't restart.

Auropen
12-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Probably I screwed up when I deleted the Documents folder. :/

But why?? the Documents folder often keeps saven files and configurations and so on, from games ^^ Deleting it, is not a good idea :)

You should probably just stick with deleting the two Ini files in the Skyrim folder, to reset your game - and delete the rest of the skyrim folder in steam manually :)

GangusKahn
12-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Have you tried your Recycle Bin?