PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to retieve in-game Steam chat-logs?

tibetanpunk
12-07-2011, 12:22 PM
My girlfriend's 10 year little brother is autistic and he loves playing TF2, but he reacts very badly when people swear at him or act aggressively towards him...

Because of this, he creates his own servers and only plays with bots.

Earlier today, his mum walked in on him and he was receiving all sorts of abuse from people he didn't know.
When she walked in, he turned the screen off, but then told her what happened...

He absolutely loves TF2 and I think he is scared that his mum and sister will take the game away from him, so he hid that he was receiving abuse.
He's a lovely kid, always polite and friendly, and I would hate to see his 'favourite toy' get taken away from him.

His mum and sister want to know what happened, and I said I would check to see if there was a way to retrieve the chat-logs from the server and find out what was said to him...

Is there a way to retrieve it using the console commands or something?

Bloody TF2 players thinking it is cool to pick on an autistic 10 year old that just wants to have fun playing around with some bots. :mad:

spartan0078
12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
You might get better luck posting in the TF2 section as the people who run servers might noticed you question and respond faster.

It's generally a decent community from what I've gathered. But I also play on my groups My little pony servers(go ahead and flame me), and were all about friendship and love so there is generally no flaming going on, sorry to hear he ran into ignorant trolls though.

JayceM
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Not that I know of, unless the Valve guys can do it.

Thing I'm confused about though is that if you play with bots, no one else can access your game.....unless he's setting it up wrong, since it's usually offline practice with bots.

Or he's searching for servers that replace empty player slots with bots. Tell him to use the offline practice mode on the menu.

TheRevanchist
12-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah something must not be right. There shouldn't be other people if he's playing offline with bots. Maybe he joined a real server?

Other than that try support. I mean if they have logs on trades, I'm sure they keep chat logs somewhere too. Or if he did join a real server, try asking the owner or mod of that server.

tibetanpunk
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah something must not be right. There shouldn't be other people if he's playing offline with bots. Maybe he joined a real server?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, that he joined a server to try it out and the poor kid got bombarded with abuse.

I asked him about it on Steam chat a little while ago and he didn't seem to want to talk about it.

I think maybe he just wanted to play the game with other people and encountered the unfortunately all too typical ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s that play videogames online.

JayceM
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
In the nicest way possible, if he's not mentally mature enough yet (because 10 is quite a young age mentally regardless if you've got autism or not), it might be best if his Mum just tries to force him into offline mode, rather than block the game itself.

The unfortunate side effect of online gaming is that there are people out there who get a kick out of insulting people. As you get older, you learn how to ignore/deal with it and generally the insults roll off you.

I'm not gonna preach that it's M-rated and he shouldn't be playing, 'cause that'd make me hypocritical, but it may be best if his Mum just tells him to play offline until she feels he's ready to go online and face idiots.

If you ask around the TF2 forums and state where he lives, you may get a nice server suggestions.

tibetanpunk
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
He has been playing in offline mode up until now. He was asking me if I would be playing TF2 the other day (I don't even have it installed any more and gave him all my items), so I think he just wanted to play the game with other people and got burned...

Talking to him online you wouldn't know that he was autistic at all. I think they were just giving him abuse because he was so young...I dunno, I guess that's why they want to check out the chat-logs, to see how it actually transpired.

Muraz
12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I remember being 12 and crying because I got PK'd in Ultima Online and had my rune-bag stolen.

Moral: Kids aren't mature enough to play online games.

Arctic Ice
12-07-2011, 02:32 PM
The server owners should have a copy of the chat, but not voices, if they log the console. I'm not sure how compliant they would be with the request though... Otherwise I don't think you can investigate past events.

For the future (and client-side):

Adding '-condebug' (no quotes) to TF2's launch options will log all console activity which includes a copy of the written chat. The dump file is called 'console.log' and is located in the 'tf' folder.

He can also just disable all mics entirely by entering 'voice_enable 0' either in the launch options or directly in the console in-game. He will have to change server or restart the game if he deletes it or changes it to 1.
Another way: In the game options, in the Voice tab, you can put the "Voice receive" slider to zero, that could do the trick.

jenovaweapon
12-07-2011, 02:33 PM
I remember being 12 and crying because I got PK'd in Ultima Online and had my rune-bag stolen.

Moral: Kids aren't mature enough to play online games.

He has special needs, if you read that part. Maybe it's one of his special interests? He has the right to play the game as well as anyone else.

Muraz
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
He has special needs, if you read that part. Maybe it's one of his special interests? He has the right to play the game as well as anyone else.
I did read it; he has autism. Surely that means he's even more at risk from the effects of playing online games when he's not mature enough.

10-year-olds don't have the "right" to play the game. Their parents have the right to let them play the game.

0'M4ll3y
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Well, in Australia at least the game is MA15+ which means it's restricted to people over the age of fifteen. If you're under your breaking the law (I think).

I don't really care how old someone is, but in the "Things that annoy you" sort of threads in the TF2 subforum young kids get a lot of flak. Young kids who use mics do get taunted/abused a fair bit online. If he doesn't use his mic, and steers clear of revealing his age in chat he should be perfectly fine (I would hope)