PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen at Menu

tkidder2
12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I have had a serious amount of problems playing this game. It started well, when I first DL'ed it worked fine, played the first story game, but then I edited the video settings just to see what I could get out of them. Well ever since then anytime I started the game the opening cinematic was black and the in game menu screen is just black (with audio).

If I disable desktop composition I can get the cinematic back, but not the in game menu (which means I can't actually play!). I tried deleting the local files then re-downloading. Didn't work (twice). I tried deleting the config.xml and options.xml documents then verifying cache integrity to get them back. It seems every time I get rid of a file then get it back from steam it comes back as it was AFTER it was edited (IE disabling desktop composition was still selected on the freshly downloaded .exe file, and I believe the settings in the options and config files (which could well be the problem) remain the same ie resolution, enabling of cinematics etc).

I've tried changing the resolution several times, and disabling cinematics and that sort of thing but I've spent hours and I'm out of ideas, and the cyanide forums aren't helping much.

Is there anyway to get a "clean" (ie as first downloaded) version of the game, since that worked? Or even just some of the files? I swear my freshly downloaded ones are exactly like the edited and deleted ones. Alternatively can anyone provide me with the DEFAULT code in the options and config file that pertain to video settings so I can try to get it back to its original state?

I'd obviously love to play this game but I'm just about at the end of my rope here. Thanks for any help.

tkidder2
12-13-2011, 06:01 PM
No one has any thoughts on this odd one? Steam didn't give me much when I went through their support.

tkidder2
12-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Anyhow I got it to work...by running in windows 95 compatability of all things. Hadn't tried that since it was never supposed to be for any windows except XP and Vista/7. Oh well, not sure what in the heck that means but it works I guess.