PDA

View Full Version : Pest Control

wcoastsands
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi, folks!

Find any bugs in Fractal: Make Blooms Not War, or what you suspect may be a bug? Here's the place to post it. Let us know if you find anything suspicious, and we'll see what we can do to rectify the issue. Thanks in advance!

Cipher Prime Team

Erl00
12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi there,

So far, I cannot launch the game, so I'm not sure it qualifies for a "bug" or something else.

I have asked the Steam support and they have suggested me to install / upgrade a number of Windows Programs (directx, .Net, etc.) but nothing proved efficient.

What happens is that when I want to play the game, a small windows prompts asking me to select resolution and graphics quality. Whatever my choices, when I click on "Play!", my screen blinks (gets black then returns to normal) and .. that's all what happens.

Any piece of advice is welcome. If you need info on my computer configuration, please let me know what you need.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Erl00.

wcoastsands
12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
cannot launch the game... when I want to play the game, a small windows prompts asking me to select resolution and graphics quality. Whatever my choices, when I click on "Play!", my screen blinks (gets black then returns to normal) and .. that's all what happens.

Sounds like the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package either isn't installed, or isn't being installed properly. First, try uninstalling the Steam version of Fractal and then Reinstalling.

To do so, right-click on Fractal in your Library and select "Delete Local Content..." from the drop down menu. After the process completes, select the "Install" button -- formerly the "Play" button -- to reinstall Fractal.

If this doesn't fix the issue, make note of any Microsoft .NET or Visual C++ Redistributable packages you have installed and list them here. You can find a list of packages currently installed on your system in "Add and Remove Programs" in the Windows Control Panel.

Sorry about the trouble. Let me know how it turns out.

EDIT: After reviewing, the best solution for this issue may be to download and install the Microsoft Visuall C++ 2010 Redistributable package (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328).

SuperJ9587
12-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I am having the same trouble as ERl00. I get the config window, and then when I press play I can see the border of the window is rendered, then it just closes with no error or message. The computer I'm on I haven't used in awhile, so I can check the C++ packages. Hopefully that's all it is, this looks like a great game!

EDIT: Letting you guys know, the game makes no attempt to install C++ 2010, the version you guys are using. I'm installing it from the Steam folder right now to see if it solves my problem. That's probably what it is, your installer isn't installing the VCredist2010.exe.

EDIT2: Works perfectly after installing the vcredist_x86 in the vcredist folder. All you guys have to do is update your installer to include that operation when installing.

Thanks!

wcoastsands
12-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Works perfectly after installing the vcredist_x86 in the vcredist folder. All you guys have to do is update your installer to include that operation when installing.

Thanks for the feedback, SuperJ9587! I'm glad that solution worked for you.

The installer is currently configured to run passively, so that no user input is required. My guess is an error may be occurring during the installation process in some cases. It may not be displaying error messages or prompting for input because of the passive mode. Since the installer is also configured to only run once, it doesn't make a second attempt even after selecting "Delete Local Content..." and choosing to reinstall.

For now, the best solution for anyone experiencing this issue is to download and install the Microsoft Visuall C++ 2010 Redistributable package (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328). We'll get an update pushed as soon as possible to fix this. Thanks again for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Erl00
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
That works!!

Thanks a lot SuperJ9587 and wcoastsands!

Now ... onto discovering the game ;)

Outception
12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Whenever I get a Pushback, some parts of the the game doesn't realize it until my next turn.

For example, I can have 2 pushes left and get six Pushbacks with it so I have 6 pushes left. The game will still give me a CRITICAL: LAST PUSH warning and not speed up the music until my next turn.

I find it a little jarring in your otherwise impressively fluid game. I'm really sad to see the lack of forum activity here, hope it ends up selling well.

wcoastsands
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Whenever I get a Pushback, some parts of the the game doesn't realize it until my next turn.

Good find! We've noticed the same thing. Already added to the fix list. Thanks for posting, though. Let us know if you find anything else!

pochuto
12-29-2011, 07:25 PM
The hot area for the pause button is much larger than the pause button image.

13xforever
01-06-2012, 01:01 AM
My Display Language is set to English for my user account in Windows and the game is still being localized.

The localization itself is very poor. Have you used automatic translation? Because many standard things (like Hi Scores/Leaderborad) were being translated literally which is weird to say the least.

So far, I've decided to not play the game until the language controls will be patched in or the translation will be thoroughly re-done. It's a good thing it was part of the bundle and I have other games to play in the meantime.

wcoastsands
01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
So far, I've decided to not play the game until the language controls will be patched in or the translation will be thoroughly re-done.

Sorry about that. We'll have an option for language selection in there soon. Expect to see it in about a week or two. Thanks for the detailed report.

lateralus360
01-07-2012, 03:36 AM
I haver tried reinstalling both the game and visual basic, yet I still cant get the game to load. :mad:

wcoastsands
01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I haver tried reinstalling both the game and visual basic, yet I still cant get the game to load. :mad:

First, my apologies for the frustration this issue has caused you. To avoid any confusion, the MS Visual C++ 2010 (x86) libraries are needed to run Fractal; not Visual Basic. I suspect the cause of this issue is still library related. Without proper functioning of this library, Steam is unable to interface with Fractal and the application closes out.

Try uninstalling the package from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Then reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328) from a fresh download, in case the previous installer was corrupted in some way. Let me know how it goes. Thanks :)

lateralus360
01-08-2012, 08:14 AM
First, my apologies for the frustration this issue has caused you. To avoid any confusion, the MS Visual C++ 2010 (x86) libraries are needed to run Fractal; not Visual Basic. I suspect the cause of this issue is still library related. Without proper functioning of this library, Steam is unable to interface with Fractal and the application closes out.

Try uninstalling the package from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Then reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328) from a fresh download, in case the previous installer was corrupted in some way. Let me know how it goes. Thanks :)

ah that worked, thanks for the help. The game is fantastic by the way, worth the fiddling to get it working. :cool:

SuspiciousSteve
01-08-2012, 11:09 AM
A couple of things I've come across:
1) It's possible to escape the level perimeter. [pic (http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7346/escapee.jpg)]
Not sure how long that Fractal had been there, I didn't try to interact with it.

2) It's possible to unlock a new set of Puzzles, but have them un-selectable. Steps I took:
a) Complete enough Puzzle levels in Set 2, to unlock Set 3.
b) Complete level 20 (I'd completed all of Set 2 at this point), and use the green arrow button to immediately go to level 21.
c) Fail to complete level 21/quit to Puzzle Select menu.
d) If Set 3 is being shown, select another Set.
e) At this point, I was unable to select Set 3, although it was 'lit' as if I could.
Workaround:
Complete level 20 again, and go straight to level 21.
Once I'd completed level 21, Set 3 remained selectable.

So far though, thoroughly enjoying the game! :)

wcoastsands
01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
@lateralus360: Glad that worked out for you! Thanks for the update.

@SuspiciousSteve: Thanks for pointing out those two issues. And thanks for the screenshot! We've noticed the same issues here.

The first issue has something to do with how Fractal handles refreshing the game state, but we've had difficulty nailing it down. Tends to show up when going from menu to menu, in and out of game, and both of these in combination with the reset button. Doesn't always happen, though.

Thought we fixed the second issue. Must have slipped through some how. The game is allowing you to progress to the next set after completing the last puzzle in the previous set. It shouldn't be doing this. It doesn't actually unlock that set unless the predefined number of puzzles have been completed to unlock it. You can find this tally on the puzzle select menu under the list of puzzles. The workaround you mentioned is interesting though. Going to check it out.

Thanks!

Edit: Double checked that second issue. Good find! Definitely different from what i described above. Looks like one we missed. Thanks for the writeup on it!

KoreanRedDragon
01-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Other than the tiny dark smudge in the background of the main menu (below the right edge of the Fractal text on 1280800), I think everything I've noticed has been pointed out by others on this forum already.

The game is very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the planned updates. It's nice to see a Steam-published developer pay a lot of attention to detail for a change!

wcoastsands
01-14-2012, 08:28 AM
@KoreanRedDragon: Would you mind posting a screenshot? I'm not sure I'm seeing what you're describing. Thanks for posting! Glad the support is appreciated :)

SuspiciousSteve
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Edit: Double checked that second issue. Good find! Definitely different from what i described above. Looks like one we missed. Thanks for the writeup on it!No problem at all. Always good to see a developer take an active role post-release.

Here's another one for you:
Bug: The zoom level on Level 24 of the Campaign is incorrect when playing at 1280x1024 (and similar aspect ratios) [pic (http://i.imgur.com/TGvMR.jpg)].
Workaround: Play at a widescreen resolution of 1280x720. The further you head toward widescreen, the less pronounced the problem is, until eventually you have access to the entire perimeter.

KoreanRedDragon
01-15-2012, 08:19 AM
@KoreanRedDragon: Would you mind posting a screenshot? I'm not sure I'm seeing what you're describing. Thanks for posting! Glad the support is appreciated :)

Sure, here you are: Screenshot (http://shrani.si/f/1z/Rt/2waawXhB/smudge.png) & my settings (http://shrani.si/f/T/qd/ZvQWlhf/my-settings.png).

Now that I've looked closely, it's really more a dark line than a smudge; in any case, extremely minor. Also, while I'm pasting a screenshot of the configuration launcher, I have to point out that unless I'm missing something major about Fractal, the key configuration in the Input tab sure feels completely unrelated to the actual game. :p

Here's another one for you:
Bug: The zoom level on Level 24 of the Campaign is incorrect when playing at 1280x1024 (and similar aspect ratios) [pic (http://i.imgur.com/TGvMR.jpg)].
Workaround: Play at a widescreen resolution of 1280x720. The further you head toward widescreen, the less pronounced the problem is, until eventually you have access to the entire perimeter.

Oh, that reminds me of a similar but probably unrelated issue that I encountered yesterday. While playing one of the arcade modes (pretty sure it was the speed one) the dramatic zoom focusing on an explosion got a bit stuck and so I had to play without being able to see very much for a while. It got unstuck next time the dramatic zoom kicked in which allowed me to simply play on. Haven't been able to reproduce it since, but will keep an eye out.

wcoastsands
01-16-2012, 07:49 AM
@SuspiciousSteve: Thanks for posting the Level 24 issue! And thanks for the screenshot!

@KoreanRedDragon: Ah... I think I know what that "smudge" might be. It may be an artifact we've noticed showing up randomly throughout the game, but aren't sure exactly what the cause is. Thanks for the screenshot!

The dramatic zoom focus issue you mention is an on-going issue. Used to occur with much more frequency. We've managed to minimize the frequency but haven't managed to get rid of it all together. We'll see what we can do, though. Thanks!