PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Steam Feature Update

wcoastsands
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi, everyone!

As you may have noticed, Fractal: Make Blooms Not War does not yet have support for Steam features such as achievements and leaderboards. We are planning an update that will have these features integrated. Until then, I'd like to open this thread to suggestions.

Tell us what you'd like to see in a feature update. What sort of unique achievements or leaderboard stats do you think might be interesting and fun to see in Fractal? Everything from overall polish to feature changes and additions are open for discussion here. We'd like to hear what you have to say. Time permitting, we hope to add a few of your suggestions to the update.

If you find anything you suspect may be a bug, head over to the Fractal: Pest Control (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278590) thread and tell us what you found.

Thanks in advance,

Cipher Prime Team

Naturalist
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I would love to see leader boards with myself and friends on steam. I plan on purchasing this game to give as gifts to give to friends for some friendly competition. It would be awesome if we could see our high scores. As for achievements maybe something for tracking "largest chain reaction" or "largest single bloom" give you something to keep striving for.

wcoastsands
12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
I would love to see leader boards with myself and friends on steam... As for achievements maybe something for tracking "largest chain reaction" or "largest single bloom" give you something to keep striving for.

Great suggestions! That's exactly what we're looking for. Thanks, Naturalist! :D

B.C
12-09-2011, 11:01 PM
At first...thanks god STEAM SUPPORT activated my forums account

And...thanks "wcoastsands" reply on STEAM GROUPS

ok...i have some suggest to this game

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CatLeader/screenshot/596956238325231733?tab=public

this is my Fractal Screenshot....as you can see

Language is"Traditional Chinese"

i found bug here....if you playing Arcade or other mode

you press ESC key or Click on top of screen "PAUSE" button

is no way "RESUME"game .....no RESUME button here:confused:

this game not any "IN-GAME" option?

i hope can add this

and can choose language....

about mouse icon...

maybe can made something special like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B_zXX5_xrc

---------------------------------------------------------------

that is my issue and some suggest

by the way...this game still is my favorite:)

hope this game will keeping good

wcoastsands
12-11-2011, 06:55 AM
press ESC key or Click on top of screen "PAUSE" button... is no way "RESUME" game .....no RESUME button here

Sure enough, looks like the "Resume" button is missing when the system language is set to Chinese, for both traditional and simplified. All other languages look okay. Great find! Thanks for posting!

Also, great idea about having a Language Select option in an Options menu. Thanks for suggesting it! We'll see what we can do about adding a custom mouse cursor, too :)

Eus777
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Is there any way to change the language settings?... I just prefer my games in english.

wcoastsands
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Is there any way to change the language settings?... I just prefer my games in english.

The only way to do it for now is to set the Display Language (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Change-the-display-language) for Windows to English. You'll find the Display Language option in Regional and Language Settings in the Windows Control Panel.

jim_der_behr
12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
After playing the game so far, like to offer some few suggestions.
I like the simple lay out and menu design but would like more information. I think would help new players to know what exactly is going on. Like what each power up exactly does. how certain combo is achieve. I know there is tips on each map that shows, but sometimes kind of miss it, just tedious to go back to each map to find out those tips.

Menu Options
- ESC Button to Pause/Menu Screen // just kind of bugs me that esc doesn't go to menu screen
- Option to use arrow keys would be nice too during menu screen.
- Restart Option - Currently doesn't seem to have a restart option in the Campaign mode. // I see it in the Puzzle mode though
- No option menu in-game, would like to see options to change resolution size, and audio volume in-game.
- Confirmation to leave current game instead of instant quit to main menu. So its not so easy to accidently leave current progress if menu screen is brought up.

Scoreboard
- Stats // having information of certain stats would be nice to see. The more the better. Like highest combo made, which type of combo made the most, etc.
- Better Leaderboard // campaign map score should be filter by level, because as it seems right now the scoreboard is for all levels. And online leaderboard if possible.
- Should use sub tabs in scoreboard section for different section, instead of trying to scroll down the whole thing.

wcoastsands
12-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Great suggestions, jim_der_behr! Definitely look at integrating some of these features. Thanks for the great feedback :D

Stexred
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
yeah lots of achievements :)

jim_der_behr
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Would like to add one more suggestion. as I just completed the campaign mode, was hoping to have a survival mode stage, as all the arcade mode are time base, would just be nice to have one just base on push(turn) amounts.

Seems there is some achievements in game already, as you get like two playing the first campaign stage, but after playing through the whole campaign, didn't really see any other one. Also a bug I found if playing the first stage again, you get the same achievement pop up again.

wcoastsands
12-23-2011, 09:24 AM
First off, thanks for the feedback! Every bit helps and is much appreciated :)

Was hoping to have a survival mode stage, as all the arcade mode are time base, would just be nice to have one just base on push(turn) amounts.

Not a bad idea. Honestly though, I don't see any additional game modes being added in post release. At least not in the foreseeable future. Currently we're looking at Steam feature integration, bug fixes, and refining some of the UI elements.

Seems there is some achievements in game already, as you get like two playing the first campaign stage, but after playing through the whole campaign, didn't really see any other one.

Hmmm... The word "achievment" in those pop-up messages seems to be a little missleading. That first level in campaign is intended to be a tutorial; the pop-ups, motivational guides. Which is why each time you go through it you get the same pop-ups. There will most likely be a Steam achievement for that first bloom. But as it is, the idea of that sort of achievment wasn't meant to be conveyed in the message. Sorry about the confusion.

pochuto
12-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Random boards.

Board editor.

Import and export user created boards.

FeralTyphMega
12-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Also, add cloud saving for this game. When you add achievements, cloud saving should be done at the same time if not sooner.

Mikerrrrr
01-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Steam Leaderboards (myself, friends, and overall), Cloud Support, and I guess Achievements are really the only suggestions that I have.

Are there any updates on when this update will be available?

Mobyduck
01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
The only way to do it for now is to set the Display Language (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Change-the-display-language) for Windows to English. You'll find the Display Language option in Regional and Language Settings in the Windows Control Panel.

Any chance to quickly add an option to change that? Half of my game is in european portuguese (I am from Brazil, so it is very odd for me) and half is in english.

Ria Hawk
01-06-2012, 05:26 AM
I've only got a couple of suggestions for achievements.

Maybe one (or a set) for finishing a board with a certain number of pushes left/beating a puzzle within a certain number of moves.
Finishing a multicolor board with only one color.
Finishing a board in exactly the number of pushes allotted.
Finishing a board with exactly the score needed to pass.
Making a double/triple/etc bloom. (Yeah, it's a gimmie, but so?)
If you want a fail!chieve, losing a board with no blooms.
Beating a certain score in the arcade modes.
Making X number of blooms, where X is some impressive/ridiculous number.
Trigger X number of powerups.
Win a board with a powerup.

Edit: Oh, and the requisite achievements for reaching level 10/20/30.

wcoastsands
01-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Are there any updates on when this update will be available?

We have three waves of updates planned: the first being for bug fixes, the second for an options menu and general in-game elements, and the third for Steam feature integration. There may be some overlap between these as fixes and features are made available.

We don't have an ETA yet on the Steam integration update. There are a number of issues we're still working out. We'll keep you posted, though. And thanks for the suggestions! I'm especially eager to see Cloud Support integrated :)

Any chance to quickly add an option to change [languages]?

We're aiming to have a language option available in the next update. Expect to see it in another week or two.

a couple of suggestions for achievements

Thanks for the great suggestions!

NalgasDLemur
01-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Would like to add one more suggestion. as I just completed the campaign mode, was hoping to have a survival mode stage, as all the arcade mode are time base, would just be nice to have one just base on push(turn) amounts.

I would like to see something like that too, or at least a difficulty setting for arcade mode, because while I'm doing pretty well in the campaign and puzzles, I'm finding the arcade mode borderline impossible to keep up with on any of the three maps. I think I made it to the third level on the smallest one once, and I had to resort to clicking randomly as fast as I could to do that. Actually trying to be smart about it like I do in the other modes just results in me losing before I can tell what's going on.

Speaking of things that happen too quickly, I also can't read the text that pops up that tells me all the scoring bonuses I got, because it disappears in at most a second, including the time it takes to fade. Makes it a bit hard to read two full lines of text to tell what the heck just happened in that giant explosion.

Otherwise, aside from the lack of tutorial (I figured it out pretty quickly, but it would be nice to give people some idea what their goal is) I've been having a good time with it so far. Now all I need is a standalone version of Auditorium so I can finally get around to finishing that after however many years it's been, because I remember it being great, but I hate anything browser-based and have a bad habit of forgetting about games that I can't add to my list in Steam. Heh.

Polantaris
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
There's one major suggestion I can think of for this game that would be great:

Have an Arcade Customization mode. For example, be able to set: The number of colors on the board, the number of push colors, possibly the size of the board (Maybe from some presets), and any other settings that change throughout the game, so that players can enjoy whatever type of mode they want to play in.

I like the game overall, but sometimes I want to just play a basic 1 color mode, with no time restrictions or anything, and able to go on until I get bored/fill up the board and that's not possible. Also, maybe people would want to play more than two colors on an Arcade mode, but that's not possible either. A custom mode where the player can set up whatever they want to play would be great.

Arhey
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Could love to see savegames in the cloud. Is in my opinion most important feature for indie games.

For leader boards, maybe something like most levels without reset/restart.
Also ability to compare with your friends and maybe get notification if your score got beaten by one of your friends.

In this case it could be cool to have own profile just like in audiosurf. (achievements you earned and how many times you earned them, your high scores etc.)
Example @ Audiosurf (http://www.abload.de/img/littleexample8fqo9.jpg)

Deathmonkey
01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Colorblind mode!

I have come to the conclusion that I will never complete campaign mode because of the color choices for level 29.

wcoastsands
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
For those less than satisfied with the in-game tutorial, check out the Official Game Guide now available at CipherPrime.com (http://www.cipherprime.com/games/fractal/guide/).

@Deathmonkey: Sorry about the non-colorblind-friendly palette. Others have reported similar issues. Will have to look into what we can do about it. Thanks for the heads up!

@Arhey: Looking forward to having cloud saving myself. Also like the idea of having individual profiles as well. Thanks for the feedback!

@Polantaris: Custom game mode is a nice idea. Thanks for the input.

@NalgasDLemur: I'm in the same boat, and can appreciate your perspective. On a good day I usually don't make it past level 4 on Speed mode. On the other hand, I've seen others play Confidence mode and make it look like a cake walk. Each of the game modes in Fractal cater more or less to different types of gamers. As it stands, the difficulty of Arcade mode provides a certain satisfaction to bullet-hell enthusiasts. Frustrates the hell out of me, though. Then again, I remember playing an earlier version of the same mode for more than an hour without failing; surpassed level 100 with more than a million points and was bored to tears. Still, I think you're right about there being an issue with difficulty. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh, and about Auditorium, keep you're eyes pealed. We've been busy here at Cipher Prime.

NalgasDLemur
01-21-2012, 07:46 AM
@NalgasDLemur: I'm in the same boat, and can appreciate your perspective. On a good day I usually don't make it past level 4 on Speed mode. On the other hand, I've seen others play Confidence mode and make it look like a cake walk. Each of the game modes in Fractal cater more or less to different types of gamers. As it stands, the difficulty of Arcade mode provides a certain satisfaction to bullet-hell enthusiasts. Frustrates the hell out of me, though. Then again, I remember playing an earlier version of the same mode for more than an hour without failing; surpassed level 100 with more than a million points and was bored to tears. Still, I think you're right about there being an issue with difficulty. Thanks for the feedback.

It's funny that you mention "bullet-hell enthusiasts". It probably doesn't help that I haven't played the game a ton yet, and so I can't intuitively pick out the best moves without searching for them, but I find it harder than something like Jamestown, which is a little odd considering that I'm generally better with puzzles than twitchy things.

If I had to guess, I would say that the problem is that it drops you in at such a high difficulty level immediately, rather than scaling up to that point gradually. It'd be like if Tetris started at level 9, except the basic concept of Tetris is much easier to grasp, so in practice it feels more like starting your first game of Tetris by playing The Grand Master in insta-drop mode. Heh.

It might make it a bit more accessible to a larger number of people to have it start at a more forgiving difficulty level and then scale up to the current point it's at, but also either let people choose the level they start at or have the difficulty they choose set their starting level, the way many other puzzle games do it. That way new players can learn to play arcade mode without having to start over every 90 seconds, and people who've already played so much that they see blooms in their sleep don't have to suffer through the easy levels if they don't want to.

wcoastsands
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that the problem is that it drops you in at such a high difficulty level immediately, rather than scaling up to that point gradually...

It might make it a bit more accessible to a larger number of people to have it start at a more forgiving difficulty level and then scale up to the current point it's at, but also either let people choose the level they start at or have the difficulty they choose set their starting level, the way many other puzzle games do it. That way new players can learn to play arcade mode without having to start over every 90 seconds, and people who've already played so much that they see blooms in their sleep don't have to suffer through the easy levels if they don't want to.

I think your analysis is right on. We're going to have to steer Arcade mode in that direction. Good points. Thanks :)

Outception
01-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I think your analysis is right on. We're going to have to steer Arcade mode in that direction. Good points. Thanks :)

However you implement this, I'd like to ask that you don't give an advantage to the person who starts at the easy level over the person who starts at the hard level. Personally, I like Arcade's difficulty right where it is, and I think that you'd be better off implementing a sort of Practice mode with no timer instead of trying to balance the game with different level entry points.

What I really don't want to see happen is the person who starts at level 1 gets to level 10 with a full clock and thousands of points, while the person who starts at level 10 is saddled with 15 seconds and 0 points. That's why I think you should stay away from having different entry points to the same difficulty curve.

Sorry if this sounded redundant or hard to understand.
TL; DR: Instead of trying to re-balance Arcade mode in a newbie-and-pro-friendly way, add a Practice mode with no timer.

(On second thought, an added benefit to such a mode would be that it'd also be a nice place to put the player-customizable mode somebody was talking about a couple posts back. You wouldn't NEED to have an infinite timer, either-the option could just default to it.)

Outception
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Also, just to give you a little feedback on how people are doing on Arcade mode's current difficulty, my highest levels are 20 Speed-11 Agility (I could probably get higher here if I played it again, only did it a few times)-13 Confidence. I only like Confidence now.

mxtomek
02-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Achievements and leaderboards will satisfy Me. I not playing this great game, because waiting for those things :)

Ran_TH
02-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Soo it's almost March, yet no signs of update. Any news?
I wonder if you guys made an overhaul to the MusicBox Engine as I suggested :)

wcoastsands
02-28-2012, 09:43 AM
@Ran-TH: Thanks for checking in. Sorry about the delay. We made a number of improvements and bug fixes for the re-release of Fractal on the iPad two weeks ago. We just haven't had the chance to prep and push the update onto Steam yet. It'll be a priority once the dust settles a bit.

Today is actually a big day for us. Our music particle puzzler Auditorium is finally making its way onto Steam later today. This will be the first time it's available as a stand-alone application. Today is also Day 1 of the Auditorium 2: Duet Kickstarter (http://www.cipherprime.com/kickstarter/). Check it out and let us know what you think.

Will keep you posted on the Fractal update.

Ran_TH
02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
@Ran-TH: Thanks for checking in. Sorry about the delay. We made a number of improvements and bug fixes for the re-release of Fractal on the iPad two weeks ago. We just haven't had the chance to prep and push the update onto Steam yet. It'll be a priority once the dust settles a bit.

Today is actually a big day for us. Our music particle puzzler Auditorium is finally making its way onto Steam later today. This will be the first time it's available as a stand-alone application. Today is also Day 1 of the Auditorium 2: Duet Kickstarter (http://www.cipherprime.com/kickstarter/). Check it out and let us know what you think.

Will keep you posted on the Fractal update.

Auditorium coming to PC? Now that's cool! Instant-buy! :D
Sure it is worth the wait ;)

wcoastsands
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Yep! Actually, it's available in the Steam Store now!

Stexred
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
put in some achievements and ill buy it :)

Zlackey
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
What I would really like to see is some kind of free mode similar to arcade but without a timer. Customizable in some way too would be really great. Arcade mode is just not long enough and I don't always feel like rushing all my moves so I can keep going. Just a relaxing free mode would be perfect. :)

zzoot
08-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Any update on this update? I still don't see leaderboards or cloud support. Is this being actively worked on? Otherwise, it's a very neat game. Thanks!

wcoastsands
08-13-2012, 07:25 AM
It's been on a back burner. Still no ETA on when the update will arrive. Some of what needs to happen was figured out when setting up Achievements and Cloud support for Splice, but it needs to be revisited. We're gearing up for Auditorium 2: Duet now. May have an opportunity tackle this with Steam integration for Duet.