PDA

View Full Version : Found a trojan

Shufeng
12-09-2011, 04:21 AM
My online armor just poped up telling me there is a trojan in Genforge5.exe... sadly i cant find its name now... but it was long and had a couple of 32 in it, so it looked like a legit trojan...

so now my online armor wont let me play that game.... well ill try to delete it and reinstall.. if its there again ill add another post here.

Shufeng
12-09-2011, 05:23 AM
and its name is Trojan.Win32.FakeAV!E2 ... my online armor detected it right atfer succesfull download.

Jonuts
12-15-2011, 03:56 AM
You know, that really is a valid concern when a video game installer gets flagged as a trojan. My AV flagged it as Trojan.gen.2, meaning it looks like a Trojan. Anyone got solid answers as to *WHY* it looks like trojan, and whether or not it's safe?

ben583
12-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Well, everything coming through Steam is always safe.
It's just a false positive, other games have been through the same thing.

FearItSelf23
12-16-2011, 06:26 AM
You know, that really is a valid concern when a video game installer gets flagged as a trojan. My AV flagged it as Trojan.gen.2, meaning it looks like a Trojan. Anyone got solid answers as to *WHY* it looks like trojan, and whether or not it's safe?

Because it operates in a way Trojans operate or the method used to pack it into the .exe is a known method on packaging Trojans. If you buy your games from trusted stores like Steam you have nothing to worry about.

overread
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Generally examples like this are a false positive - whereby legitimate software appears, to the virus scanner/protection software to be illegitimate. I get the same thing with AVG flagging Original War from GoG.

Generally when you get these the best thing you can do is:
1) Add the file to your scanners ignore list, normally when they flag a warning this is an option or you have to add it manually. This allows you to use the software whilst the scanner ignores it.

2) Report the false positive to the game developers - this helps inform them and, one hopes, in turn have them inform the scanner company

3) Report the false positive to the scanner company - again doing this yourself helps to inform them of the situation - with the hope that they will add the software to a generalist list of ignored exceptions in their future releases.

jeffreydean1
12-25-2011, 08:52 PM
My online armor just poped up telling me there is a trojan in Genforge5.exe... sadly i cant find its name now... but it was long and had a couple of 32 in it, so it looked like a legit trojan...

so now my online armor wont let me play that game.... well ill try to delete it and reinstall.. if its there again ill add another post here.

And this, boys and girls, is why antivirus programs are useless.

If you don't surf the web like a complete tard, you don't need to worry. If you really think a game downloaded on Steam has a trojan, I really don't know what to tell you.