PDA

View Full Version : Discounts for game owners

kamkam01
12-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Okay, so my idea is pretty simple- what if those who owned games could get a discount on one or two of the same game. I love gaming with my friends, but they're almost always on a budget (as am I). Even a 10% discount for just the first three games or so would be great, and mean that I could go into a co-op match with my friends without spending the price of a blockbuster fps and an indie game to do so. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Technogeek1994
12-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Steam could potentially do this, but in order for them to do so with all the games on Steam, they would need permission from every single publisher with a game on Steam, which isn't very likely.

kamkam01
12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Hmm but why not start with just their games (i.e. Left 4 Dead) and see what happens? Valve is one for experimentation, and if it's a success I'm sure some other publishers might opt in.

real4xor
12-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Well, at least it`s a good incentive for gifting.

Come to think of it, it might fit the season. :/ not sure if they should do it permanently tho... there`s enough events going on.

god_man95
12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Good idea but is not too simple.

DarkVenom
12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
interesting idea but like Technogeek1994 said need permission first

bewilderedronin
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Not a bad idea. Steam already recognizes if you own a game and want to buy it as a gift. As others said, Steam couldn't just go ahead and do it with other games, but they could certainly do it with Valve's titles.

Be prepared for the "you can already buy a 4-pack" argument, but I like the idea that you could still get a 10% discount or whatever for buying just one extra copy for a friend instead of a whole 4-pack bundle.

scotland372
12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Steam could potentially do this, but in order for them to do so with all the games on Steam, they would need permission from every single publisher with a game on Steam, which isn't very likely.

They could always sacrifice some of their own cut, but I doubt it.

GusTheCrocodile
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Everyone's on a budget. Therefore, why not give discounts to everyone all the time? I propose just making everything 15% cheaper. That way we could all play games without spending the price of a game. That seems fair.

Seriously though. It's not a bad idea for a sale "mechanic", but let the market sort out whether individual companies want to use it or not.

kamkam01
12-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Everyone's on a budget. Therefore, why not give discounts to everyone all the time? I propose just making everything 15% cheaper. That way we could all play games without spending the price of a game. That seems fair.
Well, if they reduced prices for owners, I would think that it would encourage more purchases than a cheaper overall price, as well as getting people who might not normally be interested in a game's friends to buy them a copy. Considering that it also makes the consumer happy, why not?

And, as for the inevitable 4 pack argument- if you buy a 4 pack, you have just set $150 (for new releases) into this game- what if you don't like it? This would be a great way to test a game fully (outside the demo) before you put hundreds of dollars into it. However, the devs would have to limit it to 3-4 discounts per person to ensure that there aren't people who aren't buying dozens of copies and selling them for cheap, or they could limit the discount to just immediate gifts (where you gift it to a friend's username).

Infusions
12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Whats to stop people from using this method as a way of getting cheaper games and then paying back their friends via paypal?

Like if I wanted Portal 2 and it was $30, if my friend already owned it, it would be smarter on my end for him to buy it for me as a gift, then I would just pay him back through paypal, essentially buying it myself but with a discount.

chibi_charon
12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
I'd like a crap game amnesty.
Trade in all the titles you bought that don't work that you weren't allowed a refund for at the time, for a discount on your next purchase. Such as, I dunno, 1 unit per game (Where 1 unit is the universal steam currency of 1 dollar, 1 euro or 1 pound sterling). I can think of a good ten titles I'd trade in instantly.

Kalabalana
12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Having special offers for franchise/publisher customers is a good idea if done right.

Generally you don't want to give discounts to the people who buy all your games, since, they are buying all your games. But an idea along the lines of discounting a second game in a series for a user who bought only the first, and the third has just been released, might be a start in the right direction, or perhaps guaranteeing your best customers with DLC or something similar. A bunch of special scenarios like this could be thought out and applied in numerous ways which ideally increase revenue for game developers. Unfortunately, most people cannot think in this manner as it's beyond them. Life.

kamkam01
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Whats to stop people from using this method as a way of getting cheaper games and then paying back their friends via paypal?

Like if I wanted Portal 2 and it was $30, if my friend already owned it, it would be smarter on my end for him to buy it for me as a gift, then I would just pay him back through paypal, essentially buying it myself but with a discount.
Yes, that's the purpose of the idea- when you buy a game, you get 3-4 discounts for the same game at around 10% off so you can play with your friends.

Perfectionist
12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
What i would like to see is a 3 month protection plan, this would be proper customer satisfaction guaranteed. So say you brought CS:S for a tenner and then it dropped the day after, you dont have that gutting feeling like you should wait until it hits deals only.

Would be nice to suddenly see the difference in my wallet.

kamkam01
12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
That might be a good idea, but most people seldom play a game past one month, let alone 3. Could work for 24 hours, or maybe just an unlimited 30 minute play (a la onlive) to try it out. The players would love it, but the devs would never sell a copy that they wouldn't refund.