PDA

View Full Version : Paarthurnax; your decision? (spoilers)

Emox
12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
What choice did you make? i am not sure what to do. The old dragon does not seem to be a threat nor want to be my enemy. I like him however if his past is true...

Why is my place to judge him and pass judgement?

squall_leonhart
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
i don't see him eating children, so let him be i reckon.

OldRodKS
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I killed him with my warrior character, but I'm not sure why... if you don't kill him, then the Blades won't talk to you any more, but it's not like they are talking to me that much now after I've killed him.

I will probably take the other route with my mage and see what that does for me.

shadenox
12-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I let him live. The Greybeards word of power location abilities are better then the Blade hunting down dragons.

On the rp side of things, it is thanks to him they were able to overthrow Alduin, whatever his crimes before, it'd be wrong to kill him now, specially after he's willing to fight Alduin again.

_Depression
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I let him live, because I wanted to still be able to do the word of power quests, and also because I hated Esbern

Dreadthorn
12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
just do it both ways.learn all the word locations from the grey beards.They seam to tell you all but 4.Once he has out lived his usefullness, kill the dragon and do the blades thing.

It's a game .Keep that in mind when making "morel choices" or you will miss most of the game.

shadenox
12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
just do it both ways.learn all the word locations from the grey beards.They seam to tell you all but 4.Once he has out lived his usefullness, kill the dragon and do the blades thing.

It's a game .Keep that in mind when making "morel choices" or you will miss most of the game.

Some of us enjoy making these kind of decisions.

SlipknotShadow
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
man he is so cool and full of wisdom, doesnt look like he will harm anyone else
once i killed him just to see what would happen, but it wasn't worth it, it felt like killing a grandpa full of knowledge to share :(

_Depression
12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Some of us enjoy making these kind of decisions.

Being a backstabber/double-crosser/false ally is also a perfectly valid description. If you truly want to be part of the Blades but still want the Greybeards' support, any evil character with enough guile could simply play along with the old fools until they're no longer useful to you.

Then you kill Paarthurnax, as you had planned all along.

shadenox
12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Being a backstabber/double-crosser/false ally is also a perfectly valid description. If you truly want to be part of the Blades but still want the Greybeards' support, any evil character with enough guile could simply play along with the old fools until they're no longer useful to you.

Then you kill Paarthurnax, as you had planned all along.

Yup, that is a valid character too.

But the post seemed to be less about the character and more about it being a game. So I was simply explaining that making these decisions can be fun too.

Suspicious
12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Spare. *shrug* It's far easier to kill him later if you find out that he betrayed you, rather than resurrect him in mirror image.

Beast357
12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
His little bonus abilities when you meditate on a word of power with him are neat. Not game breaking but useful. Whether he lives is totally an rp decision. My 'Skyrim is for the Nords' character killed him. Skyrim is for the Nords...that means no dragons.

KuranesDreamer
12-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Just because they are dragons, doesn't mean they are evil.

I mean, humans kill and eat rabbits, deer, bears, etc. THEY aren't evil. So why is a dragon considered evil just because it's primary source of protein comes from human? :p

SiMoNiZoR
12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Obvious spoilers

Paarthurnax himself said that most of the dragons did the things that they did because of Alduin. Paarthurnax was the one who went to Akatosh to find a way to defeat Alduin, giving men the power of the voice. After the Dragon War, Paarthurnax began meditating to control his instincts. Now that Alduin is defeated, there's no one making the dragons do anything. They're free to do what they want, and I think that Paarthurnax will continue to meditate and help humans until he's gone. The Blades are extremely shallow if they think that no creature is capable of change. Paarthurnax has more than proven himself as loyal to humans, so killing him would be extremely counter-intuitive.

When Delphine told me that they wanted me to kill Paarthurnax, I tried to kill Delphine on the spot. Luckily for her, quest giving NPCs can't die in Skyrim, otherwise she'd be traveling around as my dead thrall.

OP, if you can still, you should add a spoiler tag to your thread title because pretty much everything that's going to be posted in this thread is going to be a spoiler.

Bagbobilbins
12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I would rather kill the Blades. Their a bunch of punks

TheSagetEffect
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
My first decision was, despite my characters ruthless vindictive personality, that after Alduin was defeated enough battle had been done, and Paarthurnax was powerless anyways.

On my second character I killed him because I like killing things with fire.

SiMoNiZoR
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
My first decision was, despite my characters ruthless vindictive personality, that after Alduin was defeated enough battle had been done, and Paarthurnax was powerless anyways.

On my second character I killed him because I like killing things with fire.

I don't think Paarthurnax is powerless without Alduin. After you defeat Alduin, Paarthurnax flies off saying that he feels younger than ever and he's going to go see who he can get to bend to the power of his Thu'um meaning that he's going to try to control other dragons. I view this as a good thing because Paarthurnax has proven that he's on our side and perhaps he'll bring other dragons to our side.

KuranesDreamer
12-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Obvious spoilers

Paarthurnax himself said that most of the dragons did the things that they did because of Alduin. Paarthurnax was the one who went to Akatosh to find a way to defeat Alduin, giving men the power of the voice. After the Dragon War, Paarthurnax began meditating to control his instincts. Now that Alduin is defeated, there's no one making the dragons do anything. They're free to do what they want, and I think that Paarthurnax will continue to meditate and help humans until he's gone. The Blades are extremely shallow if they think that no creature is capable of change. Paarthurnax has more than proven himself as loyal to humans, so killing him would be extremely counter-intuitive.

When Delphine told me that they wanted me to kill Paarthurnax, I tried to kill Delphine on the spot. Luckily for her, quest giving NPCs can't die in Skyrim, otherwise she'd be traveling around as my dead thrall.

OP, if you can still, you should add a spoiler tag to your thread title because pretty much everything that's going to be posted in this thread is going to be a spoiler.

It should also be noted that Delphine's main motivation for wanting him dead, besides being a dragon, was that he betrayed Alduin; he possibly could betray you, as well.

SiMoNiZoR
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
It should also be noted that Delphine's main motivation for wanting him dead, besides being a dragon, was that he betrayed Alduin; he possibly could betray you, as well.

That's not a very good reason, though. He betrayed Alduin because he saw him as a tyrant. That's like saying we should have killed all of the ♥♥♥♥♥ because they did terrible things under Hitler. It's the same situation. Just like many of the dragons in the dragon war being lead by Alduin, many of the ♥♥♥♥♥ being lead by Hitler had no choice whether or not they wanted to fight. It was either fight or die, which was also the case in the Dragon War. Either fight with Alduin, or die.

shadenox
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM

See that's kind of a twisted logic. He turned on Alduin at the height of Alduin's power, because he didn't agree with what he was doing to the mortal races. One who switches sides so flippantly goes from the weakest to the strongest. Not the reverse.

Not to mention if he had truly intended to switch sides again, he would not have helped you obtain such a powerful weapon to use against him too.

JustAnotherFan
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I let him live because he's one of the more interesting characters in the game. But, for S&G, I made a separate save and killed him just to see the responses. The blades thank you for it, but the Greybeards turn their backs on you, and vice/versa.

rabbitalope
12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
<In character>...I killed him because he was no longer useful for me after I learned shouts from him and the greybeards. Besides, having him alive means he might teach someone else shouts and they may potentially challenge me. As for those greybeards, I will let them live a bit longer. In the meantime, I will spread lies about them (Greybeards brought back the dragons) across skyrim until the populace is turned against them. Then I will wipe them off the face of Tamerial once and for all...I will construct the blades to become my personal army (poison Delphine and the old dude) and take over the world...</character>

Jengo
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I let him live because I can't stand Delphine. Esbern seemed okay, but Delphine just came across as a royal pain in the ♥♥♥.

I wish there was a Dark Brotherhood contract for her and a few of the other annoying main quest npcs after the main quest was finished but oh well...

banished_one
12-12-2011, 10:08 PM

Lol, lies. What exactly do you miss by not killing the dragon ?

z0diakwarrior
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM

I endorse this as well.

Z

real4xor
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, considering the blades were almost wiped out by the thalmor... :/ wouldn`t the dragons be a better ally?

anthonydraco
12-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Let him live. Dephine causes mess more than she's worth. Remember the time when you went for the Horn of Jurgen the Windcaller? What right did she have to just snatch it out of your reach? Besides, if they serve you, they serve you, not ask you to do something before they serve you. That's a business deal. And even a crime has its own legal expiration date. (I dunno the word in English, sorry.) Don't you think 4,000 years is long enough?

Iron-Mike
12-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Let him live. Dephine causes mess more than she's worth. Remember the time when you went for the Horn of Jurgen the Windcaller? What right did she have to just snatch it out of your reach? Besides, if they serve you, they serve you, not ask you to do something before they serve you. That's a business deal. And even a crime has its own legal expiration date. (I dunno the word in English, sorry.) Don't you think 4,000 years is long enough?

Yea...you would think so. Bethesda really messed up with fitting the blades in with the main quest line. They started out fine in Skyrim. Then turned out to have a hatred toward all dragons (good or bad). Let's hope they fix it in a future dlc or expansion, by adding a new quest line to have the blades come back to your side somehow. Otherwise, I think they have thrown the blades in the trash.:(

Xinra
12-13-2011, 03:34 AM
I agree. I wish there was an option to destroy The Blades, Delphine and Esbern are too bitter.

Shiny-Crowbar
12-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Blades, sigh bunch of failures. First the escape tunnels mishap in Oblivion now they can't even defend themselves against Thalmor. I'd rather have a dragon fighting for me than 10 Blades.(Do Blades even have 10 members?) Also empire could benefit from dragons greatly given if they are willing to fight against Thalmor.

Andarvi
12-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Let me put it this way.

My nord warrior went to get the horn to Riverwood and meet this imperial woman who stole it just so she forced him to come to her..

Already short on patience he took the horn and told her to be quick with her explanation. Instead of just telling her story, she started running her mouth about how she'll take all the time she wants and how about I would be already dead if she wanted it..

At that time I hit 'TAB' and walked away. What I really wanted to do is knock her ♥♥♥ to the ground, Deus Ex style.. but unfortunately the engine doesn't allow for that.

The Blades (the whole two of them remaining) are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.. the organisation might have been great once but now.. the Thalmor have the right idea.

Legacy-ZA
12-13-2011, 04:16 AM
I let him live, Paarthurnax said that he would try and teach his Thu'um, The Way of the Voice, to other Dragons that are willing to listen and learn from him. Also, I like him. :)

fabiostahl
12-13-2011, 04:44 AM
I had created a topic about the Blades, discussing about Paarthu. It's not worth killing him. The Blades won't be of any use later.

anthonydraco
12-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Indeed they don't. You can always solo a dragon, but you'll have a hard time finding all Words of Pawar on your own.

Leif_Reiker
12-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Dragons are useful for evolution... the two leftover blades have failed the Darwinian test. Besides, those dragons breed pretty quick in the wild, so there's plenty of fight left in the game.

Besides - I haven't told the blades about not killing Paarthunax yet, so I still get some "comforts" when I visit...

Smac1018
12-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Like Tiber Septim before us who was also Dragonborn and had a natural talent for The Voice, I'm hoping lore wise? We rise up to power. Whether we side with the Empire and strike back against the Thalmor as one? Or as Nords united crush the elves making them a minority, there is likely to be a war. The Blades seem next to useless now that Alduin is gone.

Plus Dragons are honorable creatures. You have killed their leader. You have proven your strength. Like any other creature they'll continue to roam, breed, and feed. You don't see cows joining together to form an army against us simply because we use them for fur, food and milk.

As in the ending when you're atop the mountain and all the dragons are perched around you. They respect you now. They know you can kill them if they choose to defy.

What I'm hoping for is by the next game (that'll take place years later most likely,)the Dragonborn essentially recruited/asked for assistance from the Dragons in taking back Tamriel. It'll have been the war to top all wars. And once Tamriel is united once more, the Dragons can amass and storm the lands of Akavir. Maybe even work the Nerevarine in there somehow.

Siding with the Blades would undoubtedly yield a much more plain method of taking back the empire with just you building an army and storming the lands. Plus, in siding with Paarthurnax and hopefully getting the Dragons assistance just think. Riding the biggest dragon you can find into the Imperial City. Perching atop the White-Gold Tower, both Dragonborn and your Dragon let out a earth shaking shout. Next thing the sky is filled with Dragons. Armies rush in and the Thalmor panic.

Empire could get a new insignia too. Same thing sort of but with the dragon wings stretched out.

Th3_KoolAid_Man
12-13-2011, 06:46 AM
I couldn't come to terms to kill the Yoda of the dragons. He was too cool!

Alavard
12-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Dragons are useful for evolution... the two leftover blades have failed the Darwinian test. Besides, those dragons breed pretty quick in the wild, so there's plenty of fight left in the game.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Planeforger
12-13-2011, 08:10 AM
I didn't really care about either side, so I let them sort it out between themselves (well, presumably - I never talked to either of them after finishing the main quest).

Having said that...the Blades really don't seem to have anything going for them at the moment (there are only a handful of them left, and they won't last long against the Thalmor - especially given how easy it was to find Alduin's Wall), and they seem to misunderstand P's affiliations with Alduin, so it seems like an easy choice to side with the dragon.

valacan
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
The blades are just dragon racists.

noodlesoup
12-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Roman colussieum in here.

LIVE. LIVE. LIVE.

bomblechop
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
i don't see him eating children, so let him be i reckon.

If he was eating children then I would be quite happy with him actually. It would save me having to mod my game to get rid of them myself.

FrostyTheUnbald
12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
If you don't kill Paarthurnax you can alternate between the Greybeards to get the locations of new shouts and some wandering or questing. If you do kill Paarthurnax then you may never find them all. Killing Paarthurnax seems to me to cripple the game a bit.

ETSubmariner
12-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I just received Delphine's ultimatum.

I wanted to Shout, "Dukaan! Dishonor! Shame!" I wanted to call down the Storm to return Sky Haven to the ruin from which I found it, a cataclysm that would cause even the Greybeards to quake in their high Hold.

Delphine spoke of Paarthurnax's beginnings and the forsake of his Oath to Alduin; she said that made him worse than the Dragon he had become, and must now be destroyed. She demanded I kill him or she would no longer serve me. Hypocrisy! The dishonor is hers by forsaking her own Oath to protect and to serve the Dragonborn. My own counsel I will keep on the life or death of Paarthurnax. My Blades will take my Word outward, not to direct me in mine.

Dukaan!

Ayamepanda
12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
What choice did you make? i am not sure what to do. The old dragon does not seem to be a threat nor want to be my enemy. I like him however if his past is true...

Why is my place to judge him and pass judgement?

If you mean the kill quest i did a cute face and told my bf not to kill him because i liked him lol ^^

You can meditate with him with words and stuff if you keep him alive even though i do not know if it truly strengthens the words at all...

If you want an extra soul though do what you will, but it'll be a very sad day for such a wise old dragon to die in skyrim....

Ayamepanda
12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Like Tiber Septim before us who was also Dragonborn and had a natural talent for The Voice, I'm hoping lore wise? We rise up to power. Whether we side with the Empire and strike back against the Thalmor as one? Or as Nords united crush the elves making them a minority, there is likely to be a war. The Blades seem next to useless now that Alduin is gone.

Plus Dragons are honorable creatures. You have killed their leader. You have proven your strength. Like any other creature they'll continue to roam, breed, and feed. You don't see cows joining together to form an army against us simply because we use them for fur, food and milk.

As in the ending when you're atop the mountain and all the dragons are perched around you. They respect you now. They know you can kill them if they choose to defy.

What I'm hoping for is by the next game (that'll take place years later most likely,)the Dragonborn essentially recruited/asked for assistance from the Dragons in taking back Tamriel. It'll have been the war to top all wars. And once Tamriel is united once more, the Dragons can amass and storm the lands of Akavir. Maybe even work the Nerevarine in there somehow.

Siding with the Blades would undoubtedly yield a much more plain method of taking back the empire with just you building an army and storming the lands. Plus, in siding with Paarthurnax and hopefully getting the Dragons assistance just think. Riding the biggest dragon you can find into the Imperial City. Perching atop the White-Gold Tower, both Dragonborn and your Dragon let out a earth shaking shout. Next thing the sky is filled with Dragons. Armies rush in and the Thalmor panic.

Empire could get a new insignia too. Same thing sort of but with the dragon wings stretched out.
i love your idea :D

Lord Charidarn
12-15-2011, 07:10 PM
What has Paarthurnax done for the Dovakiin?:

His followers teach you the basics of the Thu'um.
He saved your entire race from enslavement.
His followers taught Uriel Septim I the Thu'um, allowing him to harness his powers as the Dragonborn, found the Empire, and create the Blades to defend it.
He teaches you Shouts and helps you meditate on their powers.
He FIGHTS Alduin with you.

What do the Blades do for you?:
The steal the Horn you need to defeat Alduin.
They lost their covert war with the Elves, leaving only a few scattered remains. Doesn't speak highly for their skills.
Their whole order is dedicated to serving Dragonborn, yet they refuse to help you unless you do their dirty work.
Where were they when you were fighting Alduin?

Honestly, the moment I heard that the Blades wanted to Kill Paarthurnax, all this ran through my head and I never when to speak to the Blades again. Though I do wonder if the whole 'finding recruits/rebuilding the Blades' works like the Knights DLC for Oblivion or rebuilding the Assassins' Order in Assassins Creed Brotherhood. If so, might be worth it.

noodle96
12-15-2011, 07:38 PM
i left him be. then i got a glitched word wall from the greybeards. so i thought maybe the blades questline would be something with some kind of plot. but its just killing dragonss. bit disapointed but ohwell