PDA

View Full Version : So is Gauntlet the "real" way to play?

kalirion
12-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Non-gauntlet mode seems to be like an arcade game with unlimited coins. I can see using it to unlock stuff, or to practice, but who can actually get any sense of accomplishment from beating the game this way?

Giest118
12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
There's players who actually feel really accomplished just to be able to beat some of the stages standalone even with the two free continues the game gives you.

The main game is there to introduce those who are unfamiliar with the genre; the gauntlet is there for more seasoned players who are used to the arcade experience.

Adamar
12-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Divine difficulty and above has a decent sense of accomplishment for single stage clears. Particularly stage 2, the Lady of the Lake just gets ridiculous on those difficulties. It's a nice concession that actually allows the inexperienced shooter player (such as myself) to see the whole game and get to know individual stages. I don't know if I would have persevered if gauntlet style was the only way everything was presented.

However- it doesn't really compare to a full game gauntlet clear. It took me hours and hours to get legendary gauntlet down. When I finally got it, the feeling was pretty amazing.

So, yes?

kalirion
12-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Oh, so in non-Gauntlet Story Mode there is a limit of 2 continues per stage (as opposed to total)? I guess I assumed that it was unlimited since I didn't notice any numbers counting down....

Sverd
12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
In fact, for each level you start with 3 lives and have 2 continues which also give you 3 lives each, meaning you have 9 lives in total. That's a lot but it goes down pretty fast on harder difficulty. You also have the same number of lives on gauntlet mode, 9 in total.

"Casual" gamers will love it because it is forgiving.
"Hardcore" gamers won't mind because they should care about scoring, and dying will make you lose your vaulting combo + there's a point bonus for completing a stage or the gauntlet without using continues.

Normal = Very Easy
Difficult = Easy
Legendary = Normal
Divine = Hard
Judgement = Extreme

Adamar
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Extra 'moons' give you extra lives in gauntlet. Second one is when you hit 3 million points. So, 11 total.

kalirion
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Divine difficulty and above has a decent sense of accomplishment for single stage clears. Particularly stage 2, the Lady of the Lake just gets ridiculous on those difficulties.

Heh, yeah, just figured that out. Couldn't even make to the Lady herself on Divine...

flashn00b
12-15-2011, 03:48 AM
To be honest, I had less troubles with the final boss on Legendary than i did with any Touhou stage 4 boss on Normal.

But yeah, Jamestown seems to be more of a game that introduces players to the bullet hell genre.

Kanonno
12-15-2011, 04:08 AM
still I dont think jamestown is a bad game, sure touhou is harder or don don pachi is harder; w/e jamestown is its own game and its still really good

kalirion
12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Never really played bullet hell games before, but I heard the major ones all rely on memorization of the exact safe places to hide from bullets at any given moment. That's something that would really turn me off, and I'm glad that so far Jamestown does not seem to require that...

Narroo
12-15-2011, 08:17 AM
As someone who has played a lot of Touhou, Touhou does not usually require memorization. It can be played off the cuff quite well; that's my preferred style of play, at least.

Cave games on the other hand, yes, usually. As for other companies' games, I'm not sure.

Though, go give Project Touhou a try! ZUN, the guy who makes them, does mind non-Japanese people pirating them, since they can't really get them otherwise. (He's an indie guy that sells CD-ROMs at a convention in Japan- no downloads)(It's also made it more popular among English Speakers, so piracy to the rescue?) I'd suggest Imperishable Night to be played first, by far. Google "touhou ace" and take the first link to find an info page and downloads.

Jeffrey0
12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Never really played bullet hell games before, but I heard the major ones all rely on memorization of the exact safe places to hide from bullets at any given moment. That's something that would really turn me off, and I'm glad that so far Jamestown does not seem to require that...
They don't, really. Some do require a level of memorization, but it's usually memorizing what not to do rather than memorizing what to do. Generally speaking, the further you look back in shmup history, the more memorization you'll find with recent games moving towards a mixed twitch/pattern reading model instead.

Scoring does require memorization, but the same thing's more or less true for Jamestown.

xdevnullx
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
So is Gauntlet the "real" way to play?

Absolutely. 'Legendary' or higher, obviously.

kalirion
03-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Absolutely. 'Legendary' or higher, obviously.

Well, I managed to beat the game finally without gauntlet. But the gauntlet itself I can only achieve on the lowest two difficulties...