PDA

View Full Version : Error before startup

Skivvaxlare
12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Every time I click the "play" button from my steam library, it tries to give me a CD key, then after about one second it gives me a "Failed to contact key server" error. Anybody know how to fix this? It started up fine without showing the message at all the first time, or even attempting to give me a key, but once I closed it and tried to start it again it just completely stopped working.

*EDIT* I just tried to open it and it launched without a problem, though it didn't try to give me a key. I suspect the problem will be back though, I'll test it again in a few hours to see if it still works.

Tarmgar
12-14-2011, 08:02 PM
It is now happening to me out of no where also. Just minutes ago. Same problems.

splooge245
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Every time I click the "play" button from my steam library, it tries to give me a CD key, then after about one second it gives me a "Failed to contact key server" error. Anybody know how to fix this? It started up fine without showing the message at all the first time, or even attempting to give me a key, but once I closed it and tried to start it again it just completely stopped working.

I see you have this problem too..Good to see that im not the only one getting this annoying error.

Cormierre
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
The last trace of this issue that I could find
took place back in 2010 when Risen went on sale
and people purchased it in such high volume, that
the key server couldn't keep up with the demand,
and it produced the error due to not having any
more serial keys to issue.

The solution this time will probably be to keep attention
to the subject on the forum, within the user guidelines of course,
and wait for an official response or answer on the issue.

So, let's just wait in civility and patience.
I'm sure angry posters will arrive soon; do not follow suit!
---

EDIT:
Apparently people had this issue with Borderlands too.

splooge245
12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
"Apparently people had this issue with Borderlands too."

Interesting.

Novalith
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
So in an attempt to fix the problem with the keys not being issued, they have now made it impossible to play the game. I'd be mad but I am not paying for this game. At this rate I won't be either.

EDIT: I fixed it, went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\apb reloaded (win7 64bit) and ran apb.exe. Just search for the file if you have issues finding it. I also had steam running but in offline mode when I did it. Don't know if that matters.

arroya
12-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I tried the steps listed above about starting from apb.exe. It does start the game up but when I try to login it says my client is outdated however I was just playing about 3 hours ago and it was fine I just didn't have the view cd key option which I have now but cannot log into or even start the game from steam

arroya
12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Sn# I am also getting the failed to contact key server which ive never gotten before with any game I also verified the cache it says 19 files failed and wil be reacquaired does this mean I need to reboot steam

arroya
12-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I tried the steps listed above about starting from apb.exe. It does start the game up but when I try to login it says my client is outdated however I was just playing about 3 hours ago and it was fine I just didn't have the view cd key option which I have now but cannot log into or even start the game from steam I managed to validate all files however it still will not start and i am still getting the failed to contact key server message.

SirFahrenheit
12-14-2011, 10:51 PM
So in an attempt to fix the problem with the keys not being issued, they have now made it impossible to play the game. I'd be mad but I am not paying for this game. At this rate I won't be either.

EDIT: I fixed it, went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\apb reloaded (win7 64bit) and ran apb.exe. Just search for the file if you have issues finding it. I also had steam running but in offline mode when I did it. Don't know if that matters.

This did it for me cept I used APBLAUNCHER.

Thanks

Cormierre
12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
If you're still having issues getting the game to run, don't bother.
It's probably just unseen forces trying to stop you from wasting time.
It's one of those games that makes you tilt your head back and think--
"What on Earth were they thinking?"

bakageta
12-14-2011, 11:48 PM

They did say they ran out of the 300k keys they had, and Steam disabled the CD Key to prevent errors. Since disabling the key made no one able to reclaim the key they already had, it's been re-enabled, and new users should be able to get their key as soon as more get added to the key server.

splooge245
12-15-2011, 05:33 AM
I think steam had fixed it by now, Just tried to launch it and it got the normal screen "Launching APB:Reloaded.."