PDA

View Full Version : Wheatley's handles disappear? (spoilers)

srs_bsnss
12-15-2011, 01:07 AM
This might be old, but when Wheatley has taken over and is in GLaDOS' body, he has no handles on his shell.

Proof:
Handles ->Wheatley at the start (http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/80533/1765523-wheatley.jpg)
No Handles ->Wheatley when he's in GLaDOS' body (http://www.cheatmasters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Portal-2-Smash-TV-00.jpg)
Handles ->Wheatley in space at the end (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zJxEP97HvDo/TbNvhBgjg_I/AAAAAAAAAj4/CkdNP64D-Zo/s1600/Wheatley+Portal+Wallpaper.jpg)

You also grab onto his handles when you fly into space, but he has no handles in the boss fight.

Lady_Scribe
12-15-2011, 02:46 AM
I think when he gets connected to something, the handles whizz to the back of his shell. I think, anyway :p

EDIT: I also see the Space core! SPPPAAAACCCCEE!

saintkitten
12-15-2011, 02:49 AM
I think when he gets connected to something, the handles whizz to the back of his shell. I think, anyway :p

Well, it's the only explanation. I hiiighly doubt Valve missed out something like this.

Ganjatobi
12-15-2011, 03:18 AM

EDIT: I also see the Space core! SPPPAAAACCCCEE!

Thats exactly what happens...you see it ingame sometimes to...forget what spots.

darthmertz
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
The handle bars disappear during the core transfer. They reappear while you're sliding toward the moon portal, during a moment when your view gets shifted slightly away from Wheatley.

I made a post about this a couple months ago, by the way. I found it funny that so many people had not realized the whole handle bar thing!

chaoticpix93
12-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Actually if you watch it closely enough, the handles are actually what's holding him in place. I should get a screenshot for y'all. LOL It's the same for the (I guess) core detection machine.

As you noticed, his core model's able to do more facial changing than they're used to.

Also, if GLaDOS was in the potato, how'd she get her main data back into her normal 'head'?

I'm still facinated that GLaDOS is essentially the same as a core. To this day.

pennykettle
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Also, if GLaDOS was in the potato, how'd she get her main data back into her normal 'head'?

I have always wondered this. GLaDOS's core just sorta appears while your in space. And also, how was PotaDOS in control to pull cores to the final battle?

TheDude7053
12-15-2011, 02:12 PM
As far as I know the handles swing back and act as a mounting point to all the stuff Wheatley attaches to.

Qrome
12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I have always wondered this. GLaDOS's core just sorta appears while your in space. And also, how was PotaDOS in control to pull cores to the final battle?

PotaDOS was a core as well (you may recall the moment you plug her into the lift to enter Wheatley's chamber), so she was able to connect herself to different areas and take control of parts of the facility.

As for an explanation why the handles aren't seen, I believe it was because they weren't necessary to show expression once Wheatley takes control of the facility. You'll notice Wheatley uses his handles quite often while you carry him around to express himself and to seem more lifelike. But once he gains contol of the facility, he is capable of a lot more in terms of showing emotion. The handles would have been very distracting and relatively bulky as well.

untalented893
12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
I believe that the handles are part of what gets mounted to whatever he's plugged into. I think his "eye" just rotates to the side without the handles so that he can still see...I'm pretty sure I've seen them plugged in this way at one point, I could be wrong though.

Condor_96
12-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Also, given that you can clearly see (on the TV screens) Wheatley on a poorly-animated body, that randomly ends somewhere behind him, how does the assumption that they're perfectly accurate hold?

chaoticpix93
12-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Also, given that you can clearly see (on the TV screens) Wheatley on a poorly-animated body, that randomly ends somewhere behind him, how does the assumption that they're perfectly accurate hold?

It's absolutely bizarre. In Hammer, if you decompile a map (And I'm assuming noclip would do it too.) with one of those monitors in it, they have a separate model 'room'. That's weird. LOL So the model's uploaded in every new map. If someone really cared to they could find out.

I really don't have the time, I should be going to bed, I got things to do tomorrow, but I'm up and posting on SPUF instead... >.> >.< <.<

PluMGMK
12-17-2011, 06:16 AM
It's absolutely bizarre. In Hammer, if you decompile a map (And I'm assuming noclip would do it too.) with one of those monitors in it, they have a separate model 'room'. That's weird. LOL So the model's uploaded in every new map. If someone really cared to they could find out.

What's weird about that?

srs_bsnss
12-23-2011, 01:33 AM
When wheaters is plugged into a receptacle his handles get attched to it and clip awkwardly through the bottom panel (http://steamcommunity.com/id/gentlemanne/screenshot/612720018424740929) but they don't disappear