PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Language?

bld0112
12-15-2011, 02:48 AM
This is the 4th installment of Earth Defence Force originally from Japan.
Why then can't we play in Japanese as well?

MrUnderstanding
12-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Probably because it's made by an America developer now. :p

bld0112
12-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Oh wait, this is not Earth Defence Force series? This is a rip off of it?
hmmm, it did look that the design is indeed different from Japanese ones.

Lurpsukka
12-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Are you native Japanese speaker? Why the hell would you want Japanese language in a game like this?

/covers from flames

MrUnderstanding
12-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Haha, that was brave Lurp. You'll be missed.

It's still EDF, but I know some fans don't like it as much. Might want to watch some videos on YouTube to see if you notice anything you hate.

bld0112
12-15-2011, 03:18 AM
I just thought "OMG, Earth Defence Force on steam!"...

Koroshiya
12-15-2011, 04:47 AM
They most likely didn't include Japanese due to the lack of PC gamers in Japan.

It's the same franchise as the other EDF games, but D3 contracted it out to a Western developer for this iteration. Sandlot (the Japanese developer of the past games) is developing the next EDF game.

I personally prefer Sandlot as a developer, so I really hope they bring the next game to PC again.

MrUnderstanding
12-15-2011, 06:33 AM
I personally prefer Sandlot as a developer, so I really hope they bring the next game to PC again.

Same, I certainly never expected this one to come out on PC. Hopefully it'll sell enough that they keep bringing them our way.

KDR_11k
12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
It's definitely a very different game and neither a clear improvement nor a clear step back. Mechanics such as the better homing weapons are huge improvements (they actually lock onto what you're pointing at instead of always picking the closest enemy regardless of what you want to shoot) and the armor variety is very good too but on the other hand the difficulty balance is all kinds of screwed up because you get two bot allies who revive you constantly and the missions are balanced around that with their length (in previous EDF games you'd go against a huge threat for a few minutes but if you succeed it's over pretty quickly and you get to count your rewards, here they go for 15+ minutes).

Also the weapons are much more samey than in previous games with most being just "like last tier's weapon but better all around" instead of getting progressively crazier like that assault rifle with a Z accuracy rating in previous games. Oh and enemies are massive bullet sponges. Small hectors have over 10000 HP on normal difficulty.

KDR_11k
12-15-2011, 10:36 AM
If I could change the game the changelog would read roughly like this:
- Introduce Harder and Hardest difficulties, Harder is the old Hard and the new Hard and Hardest difficulties are in between the old difficulties to provide a smoother difficulty curve.
- Decrease enemy HP across the board while increasing their damage.
- Shorten the time enemies need to perform a melee attack, a player should not be able to roll through a group of ants without taking hits.
- Make found weapons usable regardless of the player's tier, only locking purchaseable weapons away. Players can compensate for the increased firepower by playing on harder difficulties.
- Make the evasion maneuver on the jetpack trooper require a bit of jetpack energy.
- Increase the simultaneous spawn limit for enemies so the enemy force is larger and there are fewer respawns.
- Increase enemy movement speed on higher difficulties.
- Make UFOs that die to their kamikaze attack give points to the player that triggered the kamikaze mode.
- Add some more steps to the Tactical's turret upgrades to make them more useful during the later normal difficulty tiers.
- Remove the need to hit weak points on the large hector and remove the weakpoint on the small hector. Large hectors would need an HP increase while small ones would need a decrease. Precision shooting is NOT what EDF is about, I wasn't even a fan of the shoot-the-hatch carriers in EDF2017.
- Make reviving a player restore them to 30% health instead of full.

Bigger changes that would probably go beyond the scope of a single patch:
- Break up longer missions into multiple shorter ones to reduce the frustration of dying late in a long mission.
- Add drawbacks to higher weapon tiers like increased reload times, smaller clips, decreased accuracy, ...
- Reduce the player damage/enemy HP growth between weapon tiers (to maybe +20% instead of +100%) and difficulties (to +100% instead of +1000%).