PDA

View Full Version : Computer shutting off randomly when playing games.

Hivomnomnom
12-15-2011, 06:58 AM
I got Skyrim not too long ago, and my computer shut off often when playing it. I put a fan next to my computer. This resolved all issues.

Yesterday, these issues came back. I shrugged it off as a Skyrim thing and my cousin bought me Dead Island as an early Christmas gift. Then Dead Island failed to run for more than 30 minutes. It might have been less, that's what Steam says.

I haven't tried any other games, however I'm particularly obsessed with Skyrim and Dead Island seems interesting. But what can I do?

zezzex
12-15-2011, 07:01 AM
system specs?

what gpu do you have?

have you checked the temps of your cpu and gpu? It could be a over heating problem.

Also, have you cleaned the dust out of your system, I have a feeling it's full of dust. This hurts airflow, and could be causing your problems.

Hivomnomnom
12-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Ah, I always forget to type up the specs.
AMD 8400 Triple Core 2.1 ghz
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT220 1GB DDR3 VRAM
3GB RAM(Unknown voltage)

Fairly weak, but it can run Skyrim at high(only 1024x768 though) fairly fluently.

How would I go about cleaning out my computer? Also, GPU is idle at 40 degrees, when playing games it goes up to about 60 at worst.

zezzex
12-15-2011, 07:09 AM
To clean out your computer, just go to best buy or walmart and get some canned air. But your gpu temps are very good. how about your cpu temps?

Hivomnomnom
12-15-2011, 07:23 AM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/okd5lk.jpg

Europhoria
12-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Use the charts to see what your temps peak at.

le2key
12-15-2011, 08:23 AM
if it's not a heat issue then your power supply might be buckling.

CenturyChild
12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
if it's not a heat issue then your power supply might be buckling.

My thoughts exactly.

But, running down to Wallyworld and picking up a can of air is a very good idea, and will not be a waste. You really should clean it out like this every 2-3months anyway.

Make sure to blow out the CPU heatsink really good.

I think the last one I got was something like $4, so its not very expensive either.

geekofalltrades
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I prefer a bellow myself. :D Reusability, you see. But anyway, my first guess would be overheating; I have a laptop that winks off like this whenever it gets too hot. After five years of ownership, I finally got around to dismantling it and cleaning it out. I removed a wad of dust the size and shape of Donald Trump's hair from the CPU heatsink, an suddenly all was well again.

YahooElite
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Those specs are a bit low for games like those imo..

But as said, if its not a heat issue it would be a Powersupply problem, perhaps even a problem with your Hard Drive.

But being as i had the same problem and getting a new Powersupply fixed it a few months ago, id say powersupply.

alexUW
12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Whats your wattage on your power supply?

seseorang
12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
The picture shows the PSU is not providing enough power for 12v 11.8 and 10.9v, or 3.3v - but 1.79v

Usually this would result in a crash. A shutdown or power off is usually related to overheating and is the failsafe