PDA

View Full Version : Catch a Cold - Toki Tori Christmas Achievement

Pages : [1] 2

ASecondOpinion
12-16-2011, 06:55 PM
You asked and TwoTribes have listened. The achievement now grants a little more time. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27263463#post27263463

The Forest Falls levels have been made all snowy! 10 of these snowy levels are part of the achievement.

It's a speedrun, in a sense. There are "Big" snowflakes across ten of the Forest Falls levels and you have to guide Toki Tori to these snowflakes before they disappear.

DO REMEMBER: The idea is to get to the snowflakes are quickly as possible. You do NOT need to complete the level. Find the fastest route to the snowflake as you can. And Telewarps are your friend!

The ten levels the achievement concerns are:

Normal Level 1
Normal Level 6
Normal Level 11 VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a3KGKI7_Y), Thanks to Gruber.
Normal Level 12

Hard Level 1
Hard Level 2
Hard Level 3 VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PmIjvB5254), Thanks to Gruber.
Hard Level 5 VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0iFirCByNM), Thanks to Madmarten.

Bonus Level 2 VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb9CfkrvKTg), Thanks to Madmarten.
Bonus Level 3 VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeF6H-7AKEU), Thanks to Alex Vladkov.

DSHNX has put up a VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51ZG-WKkso) for all levels.

avidwriter
12-16-2011, 07:03 PM
The Forest Falls levels have been made all snowy! 10 of these snowy levels are part of the achievement.

It's a speedrun, in a sense. There are "Big" snowflakes across ten of the Forest Falls levels and you have to guide Toki Tori to these snowflakes before they disappear.

As I learn all of the locations, I will list the levels:

Normal Level 1
Normal Level 6
Normal Level 11
Normal Level 12

I just got the one in level 1. I could not be more upset. This is stupidly hard. You literally have like 30 seconds or less to get it. What the hell are they thinking? The next one on level 2 I get half way and it's gone... W T F. Screw them.

ASecondOpinion
12-16-2011, 07:09 PM
There's isn't one on Level 2.

Besides, it's a puzzle game, Avid. It's also an ACHIEVEMENT.
Something you should ACHIEVE, not get on your first attempt.

It's not hard, just takes more than 15 seconds.

I don't understand why people are expecting these Christmas achievements to be a 5 seconds job and done..?
I really like this one, as I do Super Meat Boys... Because they require effort on the player's part.

quietisgood
12-16-2011, 07:27 PM

I don't understand why people are expecting these Christmas achievements to be a 5 seconds job and done..?
I really like this one, as I do Super Meat Boys... Because they require effort on the player's part.

I agree, it's fun to actually spend more than 5 seconds to get a games achivement.

madmarten
12-16-2011, 07:49 PM
The two bonus levels seem ridiculously hard. Any advice?

edit: Okay I got Bonus 3. Just use planks to fill the final gap.

school5834
12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Bonus2 time too short

need increase 5~8sec

I can got there , but time's up :(

Is it glitch ?

anyone got it ?

avidwriter
12-16-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm not complaining I can't do it in 5 seconds. I never once complained about the summer achievements. I'm complaining that I'm being forced to rush. This game was never about speed.

nobiology
12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm on normal 11. Right now I've been trying to go up, then right, dropping twice till I'm directly above the snowflake. I teleport down just as it disappears. I'm not sure if I'm just too slow in clicking or if I'm missing a teleport somewhere to speed myself up. I've tried alternate routes or added teleports but always just barely miss it. Any suggestions?

school5834
12-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I got it Bonus2

you need freeze the first one

they are run faster

madmarten
12-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I got it Bonus2

you need freeze the first one

they are run faster
Yes. Wait before you go up the first ladder, freeze the first one so that there is one tile gap between the ladder and the frozen enemy. Then quickly climb the ladder and drop down. You just land just in front of the first enemy. Then just run down and turn enemies into ice cubes, leaving a small gap between some of them.

freibooter
12-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm stumped Bonus 2, got all the others with relative ease.

I understand that the time has to be short enough to exclude alternative solutions, but, boy ... Toki Tori's controls are NOT made for this much action. Each time should be short enough to exclude alternative solution, but not long enough to curse Toki Toris controls.

Gruber
12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm stumped on Hard 3 and Bonus 2, got all the others with relative ease.

I understand that the time has to be short enough to exclude alternative solutions, but, boy ... Toki Tori's controls are NOT made for this much action. Each time should be short enough to exclude alternative solution, but not long enough to curse Toki Toris controls.

You did the Hard 5? I can't do it.

But I did the 3, I can give you some tips.

Edit: I will record a video for ya.

madmarten
12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm on normal 11. Right now I've been trying to go up, then right, dropping twice till I'm directly above the snowflake. I teleport down just as it disappears. I'm not sure if I'm just too slow in clicking or if I'm missing a teleport somewhere to speed myself up. I've tried alternate routes or added teleports but always just barely miss it. Any suggestions?
Go down the ladder and freeze the enemy so that it drops down the hole. Then teleport yourself down, go down the ladder and run.

freibooter
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I just managed to do Hard 3 as well ... darn easy, actually, no need for a video.

But Bonus 2 is terrible. I believe I even know how to do it, but to actually pull it off requires Super Meat Boy like timing. That's the one I would like to see in a video.

Gruber
12-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I just managed to do Hard 3 as well ... darn easy, actually, no need for a video.

But Bonus 2 is terrible. I believe I even know how to do it, but to actually pull it off requires Super Meat Boy like timing. That's the one I would like to see in a video.

Video of Hard 3 is UP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PmIjvB5254

But, can you help me in Hard 5?

madmarten
12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
It's not a good video, but here's the idea on how to do bonus 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb9CfkrvKTg

Gruber
12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
It's not a good video, but here's the idea on how to do bonus 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb9CfkrvKTg

Just got bonus 2! Thanks kind sir +REP

But I still need a hard 5 video :/

madmarten
12-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Hard 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0iFirCByNM

Gruber
12-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Hard 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0iFirCByNM

Thanks again! I got what I was doing wrong. :p

ASecondOpinion
12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Just pointing out now that they are all possible - in case any of you still have doubts - as I worked my way through the snowflakes as I updated the list of levels.

Suppose I should also say that I've added the three videos posted here to the OP. I'll add any more should they be posted and I notice. :)

nobiology
12-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Go down the ladder and freeze the enemy so that it drops down the hole. Then teleport yourself down, go down the ladder and run.

Thanks a lot, had a feeling I was going at it completely wrong, and thanks to everyone else (especially for the video of Bonus 2).

vango
12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I cant figure normal 11 out,got everything else ez,but this 1 always disappears the very last moment as im porting to it x(

EDIT: NVM got it on the milionth attempt doing the same thing,apperantly i was 10th of the sec 2 slow issuing my commands xD

Corgyll
12-17-2011, 12:18 AM
I cant figure normal 11 out,got everything else ez,but this 1 always disappears the very last moment as im porting to it x(

EDIT: NVM got it on the milionth attempt doing the same thing,apperantly i was 10th of the sec 2 slow issuing my commands xD

Please do tell what that "same thing" were, I'm stumped.
Do I go above, below?

Edit: reread the thread and found this, I blame my lack of coffee this morning.
Speedruns in this game with these controls are soulchrushing.

Gruber
12-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Please do tell what that "same thing" were, I'm stumped.
Do I go above, below?

Edit: reread the thread and found this, I blame my lack of coffee this morning.
Speedruns in this game with these controls are soulchrushing.

Better than reading, is watching!

Normal 11 - Snowflake edition video is UP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a3KGKI7_Y

gazonokosil
12-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Hard Level 2 is too hard for me...

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 04:13 AM
many time lost on Normal 11. Now cant collect in hard 2.

DSHNX
12-17-2011, 04:25 AM
This achievement is really challenging.

wRAR
12-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Hard 3 video shows the path but doesn't show how to do that in time. If I don't pause anywhere, I get eaten by the porcupine and a moment later the snowflake disappears so I can't wait.
By the way, it's even less real to do this with the gamepad as you spend more time walking in the precisely correct way (clicking does that for you) and more presses to teleport.

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 04:49 AM
i do something wrong here(Hard 2):
http://youtu.be/MJAFzxE-ku4
?

DSHNX
12-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Don't build the first bridges up there, just teleport to the left, then 2 bridges and teleport again.

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 04:57 AM
Don't build the first bridges up there, just teleport to the left, then 2 bridges and teleport again.
Thanks)

Toki Tori - Bonus Level 3 (Wintersale)
http://youtu.be/NeF6H-7AKEU

Removed link to save file that removed the fun of getting the achievement

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Giving out a save file for the achievement? Really?

This is why we can't have nice things :/

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Giving out a save file for the achievement? Really?

This is why we can't have nice things :/
Which nice things you want? Save better than hack.

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Which nice things you want? Save better than hack.

People to actually play the game? The player to legitly earn the achievement?

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 06:15 AM
People to actually play the game? The player to legitly earn the achievement?
For this need do regular updates, not updates with profit=tickets.
Who want - he was play, who not want - he just hack achievement or was use save. And i think save better than hack.

DSHNX
12-17-2011, 06:19 AM
I made a video of my run collecting all ten snowflakes. The achievement is really tough but it was also a lot of fun, thanks Two Tribes :)

http://youtu.be/n51ZG-WKkso

My key to success was to combine keyboard and mouse controls. You're a lot quicker when using the keyboard shortcuts (1,2,3 etc.) for teleporting and building planks.

nibblemonkey
12-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Just got the achievement, thanks for putting up this guide

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 06:24 AM
And i think save better than hack.

They are both just as bad as each other.

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 06:41 AM
They are both just as bad as each other.
But it is free choice:)

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 07:01 AM
But it is free choice:)

Indeed. Just a shame there are some people who will choose the save game option over playing the game. :(

BlinkyBlink
12-17-2011, 08:48 AM
HaHa catched a cold too :D Wished that all colds where this fun.

This new achievement is a very good way to improve your Ninja skills :)

Thank You Two Tribes !

BTW

For those that have enough of the winter in Forrest Falls. Just change the dates month to someting else other than december.

Also for those Who play Toki Tori After december and are wondering what this is all about change the month to December.

Alex Vladkov
12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Indeed. Just a shame there are some people who will choose the save game option over playing the game. :(
Well. I am have not many games, not playing in free steam games and not use hib. For me yes, was intresting play in TT for this achievement. But some people "steam digital copies collectors"(or how its was right, mean people which have 300-800 games on steam and not playing in them) and have all of this (http://steamtreasurehunt.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Objectives#Objectives) games. They was hunting for tickets and for me better if they was use save than hack and others not legal.
For pleasure dont need do achievements with profit.

wRAR
12-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Just pointing out now that they are all possible - in case any of you still have doubts

How far did you go in Super Meat Boy?

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 10:14 AM
How far did you go in Super Meat Boy?

How'd you mean? I did the 5 levels in one session achievement (The Golden Gift).

Ansive
12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Well, bonus 2 had me stumped.
The others were nice to solve.

wRAR
12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
How'd you mean? I did the 5 levels in one session achievement (The Golden Gift).

I mean, half of snowflakes require VERY precise timing.

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I mean, half of snowflakes require VERY precise timing.

Not really. Just require a few attempts once finding the fastest route :)

wRAR
12-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Not really. Just require a few attempts once finding the fastest route :)

Fastest route doesn't help, even with routes from videos you cannot pause for a split second. Hard 3, Hard 5, Normal 11, Bonus 3 all require walking without pauses and activating tools immediately after reaching the right position, without any pauses or excess actions.

ND_OHNOES
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Good update, always love a challenge. Only got stuck on bonus 2.

At least it was easier than the get a tan achievement and the super meat boy challenges XD.

ASecondOpinion
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Fastest route doesn't help, even with routes from videos you cannot pause for a split second. Hard 3, Hard 5, Normal 11, Bonus 3 all require walking without pauses and activating tools immediately after reaching the right position, without any pauses or excess actions.

Well, I'm just saying I have no issue with the controls here...

Rehtirepo
12-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm puzzled - I don't have any snowy levels. Am I supposed to change the time of my computer to 25th or something?

Steppenw0lf
12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Check if your game is set on Auto Update and Verify your game files to make sure you really have the updated version. Then the Forest Fall levels should have snow in them.

Rehtirepo
12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Did those to no avail. I actually just downloaded and installed the game this morning.

I can see one locked achievement, so IDK what's the issue...

Ansive
12-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Playing on a Mac?

Rehtirepo
12-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Yeah, that's the reason? I can just boot up to Windows if that's it...

Ansive
12-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Just guessing... maybe they forgot to update the mac version.

moldy_tomato
12-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Well, that was not much of a challenge, except for Bonus 2, which was the most fun of them.

xboxer
12-18-2011, 05:11 AM
What the bloody hell was the developer thinking with this one? :mad: :mad:

ASecondOpinion
12-18-2011, 08:46 AM
What the bloody hell was the developer thinking with this one? :mad: :mad:

How'd you mean? Making a good achievement that doesn't take 5 seconds, or because the Mac update failed?

If the former: Don't be pathetic.
If the latter: Everyone makes mistakes.

-- I've tweeted to Two Tribes, Hessel and Collin about the lack of snow on Mac, just so you know.

TGF
12-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Had some trouble on Bonus 2 because I didn't freeze the monster on top before continuing further down. Thanks for the post. :)

DurDen
12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Stuck on the last one, Bonus 3, how are the guys in the videos laying planks so fast...I'm literally standing in the snowflake as it disappears (If I'm lucky enough my clicking and planking didn't ♥♥♥♥ up somehow.)

ASecondOpinion
12-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Stuck on the last one, Bonus 3, how are the guys in the videos laying planks so fast...I'm literally standing in the snowflake as it disappears (If I'm lucky enough my clicking and planking didn't ♥♥♥♥ up somehow.)

Are you using the mouse to lay them?
If so, use the 1 Key instead. :)

DurDen
12-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Are you using the mouse to lay them?
If so, use the 1 Key instead. :)

I'm using the 1 key, yeah, but I can't seem to move Toki along without clicking frantically and him dropping off or stopping etc.

The videos he just goes and they slap those planks down, I'm not even seeing their cursor direct him to the flake as he moves.

moldy_tomato
12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm using the 1 key, yeah, but I can't seem to move Toki along without clicking frantically and him dropping off or stopping etc.

The videos he just goes and they slap those planks down, I'm not even seeing their cursor direct him to the flake as he moves.

Don't click.
Use the keyboard instead.
Just hold left or right and press 1 whenever you are near the edge.

DSHNX
12-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Right after the beginning already position your cursor right of the ladder.
Then no more mouse controls, just wait for him to arrive on the ladder facing the snowflake and then press the right key and start smashing the 1 key.

Limonov
12-19-2011, 04:57 AM
finished them all.
and would like to note to devs that this is a puzzle game not perfect timming BS.

Fred DM
12-19-2011, 05:01 AM
thanks for the helpful videos. :) though the difficulty lies not in figuring out the approach but in the timing...

DSHNX
12-19-2011, 05:07 AM
But you have to figure out how to optimize your run, isn't that puzzling too? I liked that different approach.

And it was not too difficult and frustrating like the Super Meat Boy achievements, but though difficult enough to get this "I made it" feeling.

DurDen
12-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Don't click.
Use the keyboard instead.
Just hold left or right and press 1 whenever you are near the edge.

OH God, I was trying to move using WASD, thank you so much.

ASecondOpinion
12-19-2011, 09:23 AM
But you have to figure out how to optimize your run, isn't that puzzling too? I liked that different approach.

And it was not too difficult and frustrating like the Super Meat Boy achievements, but though difficult enough to get this "I made it" feeling.

*Nods* Completely agreed.
Although, Super Meat Boy's achievement weren't that hard! :D

collin_twotribes
12-19-2011, 09:46 AM
We recommend keyboard controls for the achievement :)

King_Kong
12-20-2011, 02:23 AM
I see no snowflake in hard level 1 :-(

G.Lecter
12-20-2011, 06:42 AM
We recommend keyboard controls for the achievement :)I used mouse controls for all snowflakes without any trouble, except for Bonus 3, which I used a combination of mouse and keyboard! :cool:
Enjoyed the update a lot, a nice different approach to the known puzzles. Bonus 2 was the most challenging, indeed.

ASecondOpinion
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I used mouse controls for all snowflakes without any trouble, except for Bonus 3, which I used a combination of mouse and keyboard! :cool:

So very Pr0! ;)

InczeZee
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I collected all 10 snowflakes, but the achievement not unlocked. What should I do?

NVM. Unlocked when I quit from the game.

Rehtirepo
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I see no snowflake in hard level 1 :-(

Maybe you're playing on Mac as well? We're just fresh out of luck since Mac version is not (will not?) be updated for this :(

ASecondOpinion
12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe you're playing on Mac as well? We're just fresh out of luck since Mac version is not (will not?) be updated for this :(

Might be worth sending an e-mail to Two Tribes?

Thron
12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I loved this achievement. Toki Tori is the best :)

noretus
12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I got the achievement. Thanks, I will never effing ever touch this game or any like it again.

ASecondOpinion
12-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I got the achievement. Thanks, I will never effing ever touch this game or any like it again.

It's a shame you feel that way. Two Tribes's Toki Tori and RUSH are pretty good puzzlers. :(

Tyraa Rane
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Ugh. I like Two Tribes and Toki Tori, but whoever made this with such an unforgiving timer needs a slap upside the head.

Edit: I should add that another annoyance is getting to the snowflake as it's "melting"--the pick-up doesn't register then. If the pick-up window were even 2-3 seconds longer, it would be so much less frustrating.

anelaidlives
12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
It's a shame you feel that way. Two Tribes's Toki Tori and RUSH are pretty good puzzlers. :(

If this is your first introduction to the game, I'd imagine why'd you would never touch it again. I already had the game and I'm not touching it again for awhile because of this.

Bieeanda
12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
There's nothing 'puzzling' about this achievement. It's merely wrestling with the controls while racing against not only the global timer but the timing of moving obstacles as well. That's about as puzzling as Frogger, and a great deal more frustrating.

I'm saying this as someone who has a few Two Tribes games and likes them for what they are presented as, but I don't like this.

danu22
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Normal Level 11 is an absolute JOKE.
The speed you need is insane.

Djinjifila
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Been trying to get that for the last 10 minuts... It's INSANE!

Tyraa Rane
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM

After 20+ tries, I've now gotten normal 11 to the point where I can reach the snowflake just before the "melt" animation runs.

It's still not registering.

I'm not sure what sort of super-human reflexes the folks at Two Tribes have that make them think this is an acceptable time limit, but it's not. :o

Djinjifila
12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
After 20+ tries, I've now gotten normal 11 to the point where I can reach the snowflake just before the "melt" animation runs.

It's still not registering.

I'm not sure what sort of super-human reflexes the folks at Two Tribes have that make them think this is an acceptable time limit, but it's not. :o

Same... It's just INSANE.. I can reach it just before it melts....

Djinjifila
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
GOT THE LEVEL 11 ONE... DAMN.. Talk about timing!

derkim
12-22-2011, 11:51 AM
♥♥♥♥ off, this is not fun

Tyraa Rane
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
GOT THE LEVEL 11 ONE... DAMN.. Talk about timing!

I finally managed to get that one, too. Now I'm stuck on Hard 5. There, you've got the unholy combination of rushed timing + having to rely on a (slow moving) enemy as part of the solution to getting the snowflake.

It's awful. Again, I like Toki Tori, but I don't see myself playing the game for a while after this. This has totally turned me off the game.

Lamb3rt
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Removed link to save file that removed the fun of getting the achievement

I hate you, burn in hell.

Kanden95
12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Does anyone have a video or mutliple videos of ALL levels?

Kidrage
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51ZG-WKkso

That's from the thread here with Holiday achiev tips/info and such.

Kasz216
12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't think i've played such an rage inducing mode in a game ever before.

Every freaking time I place platform three, he freakin spins around and i'm a millisecond to late to collect the stupid snowflake.

I remember the controls in the game being rough... but rough controls + speed challenge with need for perfect timing = rage inducing.

I mean, a half a second more time and it'd be doable.

Bugs Bunny
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Finally finished all of them. I didn't even know how many profanities I knew until I went for this achievement...

melog
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't have a snowflake in Hard 1 either :(

Ricardo_73
12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Done! Thanks guys, I will never achieve this without your help.

Kasz216
12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Finally got it. The games controls are just to unwieldy for this kind of thing though.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM

What because your not allowed to cheat the achievement Two Tribes worked hard on to make it enjoyable?

Hollthulhu
12-22-2011, 12:24 PM
All I can say, is if you got the skill to get this achievement, I hope you get something other than a stupid lump of coal or a coupon. As for me, an avid fan of the game, this is just a bit too stressful.

Bugs Bunny
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
All I can say, is if you got the skill to get this achievement, I hope you get something other than a stupid lump of coal or a coupon.

25% off arkham city :) wasn't it on sale for like 50% yesterday? :o

Hollthulhu
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Finally got it. The games controls are just to unwieldy for this kind of thing though.

I feel the same, I was using a controller then also used the keyboard, and I'm just not able to swap between abilities and move fast enough, perfectly enough, to get every single one of these. Admittedly, I got quite a few of them.. I'm just not going to bother finishing.. it's making me curse and get angry at myself at this point. :( Not good.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
All I can say, is if you got the skill to get this achievement, I hope you get something other than a stupid lump of coal or a coupon. As for me, an avid fan of the game, this is just a bit too stressful.

I did it and got yet another piece of coal, 9th Coal in a row.

Hollthulhu
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
25% off arkham city :) wasn't it on sale for like 50% yesterday? :o

That seriously sucks. It's on sale for some amount I know, but yep. Yesterday it was cheaper. :(

KangasaurusRex
12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Anybody who wants to provide me a save file should add me, KangasaurusRex. I already played HOURS of this game during the Portal ARG. I never liked it either. I'm not one bit excited to do all this.

Ansive
12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I can imagine this achievement being difficult for new players.
I previously played the entire game. This new achievement was a bit hard, but fun.

Just make sure to use the keyboard. (for movement AND items, no clicking or skill swapping needed)

nibblemonkey
Anybody who wants to provide me a save file should add me, KangasaurusRex. I already played HOURS of this game during the Portal ARG. I never liked it either. I'm not one bit excited to do all this.

If your not excited about just don't get it? If people were intended to use save files then the Achievement would unlock as soon as you open the game.

Dippy11
I remember the controls in the game being rough... but rough controls + speed challenge with need for perfect timing = rage inducing.

This is the problem. All this event/achievement does is highlight the ultimate weakness of Toki Tori. The controls. Which isn't so bad when it's a puzzle game, but as a platformer...

I strongly suggest adding an extra second on the snowflakes' duration, especially for Normal 11 and Bonus 3. So as to prevent people from wanting to kill you.

Alex Vladkov
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Toki Tori watches you)

KangasaurusRex
12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
If your not excited about just don't get it? If people were intended to use save files then the Achievement would unlock as soon as you open the game.

Cry some more.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Cry some more.

Why, your the one asking for a save file just to probably end up with a piece of coal?

KangasaurusRex
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Why, your the one asking for a save file just to probably end up with a piece of coal?

Yes, correct. And?

T@F
12-22-2011, 12:39 PM
hmm this is annoying tbh.
I'm using an xbox360 pad and there seems to be a slight delay climbing ladders ect.

Cannot use the mouse with this game only joypad,so atm i'm shouting at the screen. :P
I'm not really but it is annoying,they should have made the winter achievements a lot easer tbh.

it's meant to be fun not frustrating.
This achievement alone is putting me off buying the sec one now.

WhiteCarnation
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Is there a way to zoom the view out? I waste a lot of time panning around.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Yes, correct. And?

So what is the point in getting the achievement from a save file if you can't be bothered to do it yourself?

KangasaurusRex
12-22-2011, 12:46 PM
So what is the point in getting the achievement from a save file if you can't be bothered to do it yourself?

It's important for there to be a point for you, I guess.
Point: I get something for doing nothing.
Point: This pleases me.

Normally, I'm all for difficult achievements. It's what I do. I spend a lot of time gaming and I lend a lot of support to games I like, I'm a decent part of the online communities and generally a good guy.

However, I don't like this game but I still want the steam gift. The best way to get it, for me, would be a save game file. The developer gains nothing by having me play it for another hour and hating every minute of it. I'll do it. That serves less a point than the alternative though.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:46 PM

I don't think there is a way to zoom out, what levels do you find you are wasting time on?

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM
It's important for there to be a point for you, I guess.
Point: I get something for doing nothing.
Point: This pleases me.

Normally, I'm all for difficult achievements. It's what I do. I spend a lot of time gaming and I lend a lot of support to games I like, I'm a decent part of the online communities and generally a good guy.

However, I don't like this game but I still want the steam gift. The best way to get it, for me, would be a save game file. The developer gains nothing by having me play it for another hour and hating every minute of it. I'll do it. That serves less a point than the alternative though.

But the Developer did spend 2-3 days adding in the Achievement and snowifying the levels so by using a save file you are kinda making their effort look wasted, also achievements are supposed to show people what you have achieved in a game so by using a save to unlock the achievement you are saying you can do something that you actually can't.

edilsonj
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM

I want a save file too. It's not fun. :p

I can't spend time trying to do this achievement. If I have more free time, maybe. :(

ASecondOpinion
12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I can't spend time trying to do this achievement.

You better move on to another game, then.
If you don't have time, you don't do it. You don't cheat your way into having it done.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I want a save file too. It's not fun. :p

I can't spend time trying to do this achievement. If I have more free time, maybe. :(

I've played through the first chapter of the game about 4-5 times and played through the game on roughly 4 different platforms and still enjoyed getting the achievement from it.

edilsonj
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
You better move on to another game, then.
If you don't have time, you don't do it. You don't cheat your way into having it done.

I will. But I've to play for 3 steam users (me, son and wife) to take the prizes.

But I can't discard this game. I will look on web to a save to help me. I don't WANT to do this, but unfortunately the circumstances oblige me. Shame on me. :(

Tutan
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
For some reason the levels haven't turned Wintry for me, and no snowflakes seem to be appearing. Dunno why. Using the Mac version. Anyone else experiencing this?

Would be nice for me to be able to work on this achievement.

edilsonj
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
To explain: I do not want the achievement ready to be take, but all stages open. If I still have to go stage by stage, when I will finish?

Ansive
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
The Mac version is not updated YET.

It needs to be approved by steam, it should show up in the following days.

theyarecoming4u
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
This is a game designed for kids... and yet this achievement can only be completed by OCD adults with quick response times. VERY poor choice of achievement.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I agree, it's fun to actually spend more than 5 seconds to get a games achivement.

I agree - but there are more than 2 extremes in the world and once again, Two Tribes have decided to move one of them firmly into "taking the piss" country.

Valve should issue some basic guidelines for this stuff - something like

"don't be miserable bastards" would be a good start

or something like "what we're giving away are mostly worthless vouchers which offer people games for more money after the sale than they are DURING the sale - so make the achievement something which reflects this utter slap-in-the-fact"

and more seriously "the cheevo should be something which a player completely new to the game can do in a relatively short amount of time - no more than an half-an-hour at worst (given that they offer 6 a day and there's a finite amount of time in the world and all that).

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
This is a game designed for kids... and yet this achievement can only be completed by OCD adults with quick response times. VERY poor choice of achievement.

What makes you think this is a game for kids (it's not and anyone with an IQ above their shoe size could see that)

It LOOKS like a game for kids - sure - but life is about realising that things aren't always what they seem...

Tutan
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
The Mac version is not updated YET.

It needs to be approved by steam, it should show up in the following days.

Thanks much for that. I skimmed the topic and saw that was the issue. Long as it gets updated in time for me to get the prize I'm good. :)

...Well maybe my VM can run that F2P game.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I will. But I've to play for 3 steam users (me, son and wife) to take the prizes.

But I can't discard this game. I will look on web to a save to help me. I don't WANT to do this, but unfortunately the circumstances oblige me. Shame on me. :(

What a load of cobblers...

You don't HAVE to do this three times (or even once) and a savegame won't help you because you can't save mid-level in Toki Tori...

PostalDude
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
We recommend keyboard controls for the achievement :)

The interface is way too laggy for keyboard. I was getting super frustrated at this until I remembered my controller was plugged in and I blew through them very fast.

Meallme0
This was an incredibly frustrating achievement to get. Why on earth would you make the achievement a speed run when the game has such clunky controls?

Ryudragon
Not sure if I want to try this seeing all those comments about the achievement. I had a bit of trouble with the controls myself and if it requires a perfect timing, I doubt I'll manage to get them all. :x

NovaStalker
12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?i8kv8r5zu72q6bz

Doesn't work for me but just putting it out there.

cptgone
12-22-2011, 01:16 PM

i gave up, after getting as close as possible without actually succeeding a few times.
no fun.

also, this proves i'm too slow to play Toki Tori. go ahead, laugh at me.

WhiteCarnation
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't think there is a way to zoom out, what levels do you find you are wasting time on?

I'm on Normal 11, I have to pan to the right to get to the snowflake and that 1 second of panning always throws me off.

I know on the iPad version you can zoom in and out, and I see YouTube vids all zoomed out.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Note on Bonus 3 - on the Windows version I'm pretty sure it's impossible using the XBOX controller (as there's a tiny delay in transitioning from the ground to the ladders).

If you use the (frankly jokeworthy in all other cases) keyboard/mouse controls, TT gets to the point you need to lay the bridge a TINY bit quicker - the difference between getting it and not getting it.

Well done there Two Tribes - try testing your game next time eh?

WhiteCarnation
12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Well done there Two Tribes - try testing your game next time eh?

I think they did a good enough job, but obviously seemed to speed run themselves to a point of perfection using mouse/keyboard and cleverly placed the snowflakes. The only problem with this is it doesn't have any window of error.

Just a second or two more on most snowflakes and I'm sure nobody would really be having a problem, while still being challenged to race against the clock and figure out proper paths.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I think they did a good enough job, but obviously seemed to speed run themselves to a point of perfection using mouse/keyboard and cleverly placed the snowflakes. The only problem with this is it doesn't have any window of error.

Just a second or two more on most snowflakes and I'm sure nobody would really be having a problem, while still being challenged to race against the clock and figure out proper paths.

The HUGE issue with TT is that is has a range of control methods and they're all - frankly - a bit ♥♥♥♥.

I'd like to add that I hope the person who decided to make this is split-second pin-perfect speedrun achievement gets absolutely jarate-all for Christmas - in fact I hope their oven breaks so they can't have dinner either - and their power goes off so no telly or internet either

and I hope it snows where they live

indoors... :o

ASecondOpinion
12-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Even without that window of error, it only takes a couple of attempts per level to get it right, even with the so called "clunky controls" I've never, ever had a problem with them...).

Devistater
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, play full screen zooms it out.

Devistater
12-22-2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?i8kv8r5zu72q6bz

Doesn't work for me but just putting it out there.

The files inside are dated 3 days ago, so probably doesn't have achive

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Even without that window of error, it only takes a couple of attempts per level to get it right, even with the so called "clunky controls" I've never, ever had a problem with them...).

The last challenge - Bonus 3 - is genuinely impossible on my PC with my 360 controller.

I can run straight to the ladders - climb them - drop 3 perfect bridges and whilst I appear to hit the snowflake, it's disappearing at that point and doesn't appear to register.

TT wasn't written with speedruns in mind and I strongly suspect that either the control methods and/or system settings will have an affect (even if it's tiny) on actual time/performance and thus difficulty (thus some people will find it easy - others will find it impossible).

This happens with some games - there's a puzzle game called Chains (on Steam) which has a level which is unbeatable on newer PCs (as the timer runs faster than the game) - developers of single-player puzzle games don't bother making sure their controls/timers are perfectly synced.

Ansive
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
You can lay two platforms in the small 2 tile gap (before the ladder) to gain just a little extra time.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
You can lay two platforms in the small 2 tile gap (before the ladder) to gain just a little extra time.

Tried that but same issue - the whole problem lies with the AWFUL controls which offer no real precision (laying platforms halfway up a ladder is lucky at best)

I'm out of here now - it's not worth my time for a worthless voucher which enables me to buy a game for MORE next year than I can now...

Devistater
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm out of here now - it's not worth my time
Or, you can check this thread for a save file:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2321563

Keirnoth
12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
In hindsight, I should've made a copy of my save before I took a shot at these things. Took me a good 20 minutes. As someone pointed out - these achievements only highlighted the WORST part of this game: the crappy controls. If they kept the snowflake from melting (like the sun spot in the summer event - that one was fun) it would've been better and made for some fun puzzles, but developers make bad game design decisions, and I think this was one of them.

I don't know if this will work for you, but here's my save after completing the Winter Achievement. The profile name for my save originally matched my Steamworks name, but I changed it to Winter Achievement.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ff9prwh14op18i5

The save is stored in:
Steam root folder\userdata\(some random set of numbers)\38700\remote\savedata

For most users the Steam root folder will be in C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam for Win64 users

1) Quit out of Toki Tori and download rar
2) Unrar archive to somewhere - the folder unrar'd will be called profile1.
3) Go to Steam root folder\userdata\(some random set of numbers)\38700\remote\savedata
4) Most people saved to profile 1 so there already should be a profile1 folder in there. Rename the profile1 folder that's already in that savedata folder to something like profile1.bak.
5) Take the profile1 that was extracted from the archive and stick it in that savedata folder.
6) Launch Toki Tori.
7) At this point, I'm not sure if you'll get the achievement instantly as I haven't tested this with anyone. If you don't get the achievement, go to Profiles and click on the little pencil icon next to the profile name Winter Achievement.
8) Rename the profile to match your Steamworks display name and hit enter.
9) If the achievement doesn't kick in, restart Toki Tori. If it still doesn't kick in, then I'm sorry, not sure what I can do to help you.

I wish I made a save file with the prerequisite levels unlocked. These were the same levels required for the summer achievement, so that's why I had the levels, but I understand some people don't feel like spending the extra time to get to these levels.

All in all, IMO it's a good game IF you don't try to speedrun it. It's a great puzzler-platformer, but the controls really put me off.

somebody
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Toki Tori is such a ♥♥♥♥ing ♥♥♥♥game. It keeps crashing when I start it up.

Devistater
12-22-2011, 02:03 PM
here's my save after completing the Winter Achievement.
Lol, we both posted a save almost at the same time

ríomhaire
12-22-2011, 02:11 PM
If you use the (frankly jokeworthy in all other cases) keyboard/mouse controls,
I've never found any problem using the arrow keys, though I will agree using the mouse control is pretty damn annoying in many cases.

Edit: Also, in Bonus 3, did you teleport up the the level above or did you go the long way around? Maybe that's why you were short for time.

Meeting_Gman
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Alright, I managed to do it only because of the wonderful video guides people have posted. I'm not going to give anyone flak for using a save file to get the achievement. It felt good to get it, but it was kinda aggravating. I can't handle being timed very well.

I got a lump of coal but it seems I also got Neverwinter Nights 2. It says it's a trade-able gift, but I also purchased the game just 2 hours earlier. Did I get the game because of the achievement from Toki Tori?

edilsonj
12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Really, shame on me! A big shame.

I take the achievement, only spend 10 minutes to it. Thanks for youtube videos. It's easy. :D

Ryudragon
12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Just finished the achievement and it was pretty easy. I think Bonus 2 caused me the most trouble because of the timing, but it was nowhere as hard as people say. Just try a few times and you'll get it. Glad that I didn't listen to them.

Took me no more than 20 minutes overall, but I already had all the levels unlocked.

Ars-Rampancy
12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I just want to say that after coming here for a save game, only to find that someone edited Alex Vladkov's post with one, I won't be buying any more Two Tribes games.

Your achievement isn't fun, which is why I wanted a save for it.

ríomhaire
12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Am I just really good at this game or something? (I doubt it because I'm still stuck on a sewer level)

I had no problem with these and really enjoyed them. The only one that gave me pause was Bonus 2 because I didn't think of doing the thing you have to do at the start. Everything else was pretty easy to figure out and only required a few rewinds to get the timing right.

Are people trying to do this with the mouse controls or something? Use the arrow keys lads.

Djinjifila
12-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Got it... and got 1 COAL... So sick of coal...:X

wonderpookie
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Mother trucker those were annoying! I was getting highly frustrated!!!

+rep to OP and Gruber and Marten whose vids I sneaked a peak at for hard 5 and bonus 2 and 3. TBH THOUGH!!!... I had one of those in the bag myself... I just wasn't quick enough!!! :p... but it was reassuring to see I was doing it right.

Thanks guys! <3

EDIT:- seems I can't rep you just yet Marten - guess I must've rep'ed you recently! SUCH A HELPFUL GUY! xD Thx brother.

Fangride
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM
-kills self-
I finially finished, after wanting to murder things for 15 minutes. I then get a mere coal.

collin_twotribes
12-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I just want to say that after coming here for a save game, only to find that someone edited Alex Vladkov's post with one, I won't be buying any more Two Tribes games.

Your achievement isn't fun, which is why I wanted a save for it.

Sorry you're not liking our little christmas bonus, but getting save-files kind of defeats the purpose of playing games at all. So that's why we removed it.

Anyway, it's a lost cause so there are many places now to get your savefile. Enjoy your gift-pile gift!

Ryudragon
12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
A tip for people trying to get the achievement themselves: Use the teleport at tricky places, it really helps you save time.

ASecondOpinion
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Sorry you're not liking our little christmas bonus, but getting save-files kind of defeats the purpose of playing games at all. So that's why we removed it.

Got to agree with Collin here.

nibblemonkey
12-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Anyway, it's a lost cause so there are many places now to get your savefile. Enjoy your gift-pile gift!

I secondly agree with that

super_aardvark
12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
So... I don't see any snow or snowflakes in the game. I just installed it today. Gonna be extra hard to do the achievement if there are no snowflakes. Anything I can do?

EDIT: Ok, so not 30 seconds after I posted this, Steam pops up with "Finished downloading Toki Tori" :roll:

radioplug14
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Bonus 3 is sooooooo hard. The controls suck in getting the bird to face the right way with that kind of speed run to build the bridges. The controls are poor - that's one of the reasons I stopped playing this game in the first place.

radioplug14
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
And then I read about using the arrows on the keyboard...holy crap did that make that one so much easier!!!

krouton3
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
this achievement is too damn hard hopefully they will patch the snowflake timings and make it much more getable. but im not evenb going to attempt this again till the timings get fixed im on the last 2 bonus levels btw and i cant even freeze all the guys i need to for the bonus lvl 2 before the snowflake dissapears >.>

sfade
12-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Getting the achievement was, in all honesty, quite frustrating. I guess I prefer having to solve a puzzle rather than fighting a timer.

I'll bang my head against a puzzle all day long, but more than a dozen attempts to beat a countdown and I'm bleeping ready to smash stuff in manner that would befit the Hulk!

whiterabbit82
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I got this achievement before today event (17.12.11), but it is not counted for me(in THE GREAT GIFT PILE).:confused:

GeneSIS^
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
easily the best christmas achievement so far. You actually had to play for it a while, took around 40mins for me complete the achievement, only watched the bonus2 on youtube. Definitively will buy Toki Tori2.

stryk3r
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
The bonus 3 video isn't showing the best strategy. You should lay bridges in the pit where the first egg is so you don't have to hop twice. Put this video in the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlYFq6r_194

Mulux
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Bonus 3 is sooooooo hard. The controls suck in getting the bird to face the right way with that kind of speed run to build the bridges. The controls are poor - that's one of the reasons I stopped playing this game in the first place.

I was finding this most tough too, so I built bridges from halfway up the last ladder and ran across .. instead of wasting 3 milliseconds climbing to the top of it before building bridges :p

Lamb3rt
12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
One of most frustating achievement on this sale, problably even the most one. The worst thing about it is that this changing this quite nice puzzle-game into ♥♥♥♥ING TIME RUSH.

CyberSoniX
12-22-2011, 03:22 PM
I like the game, but this achievement is simply frustrating. Finding the best way is one thing, but having to do it perfectly fast is sick. Every time the flake disappears right before I am there makes me wanna hurt somebody.

Devistater
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
One of most frustating achievement on this sale, problably even the most one. The worst thing about it is that this changing this quite nice puzzle-game into ♥♥♥♥ING TIME RUSH.

Yeah, this achive gives a very bad first impression of the game. Most of the game is NOT nearly as time critical as the achivement.

IMHO, these sale achivements should be designed to give a taste of what the game is like so people will continue to play and explore the games they like.

For instance, defcon's achivement to nuke santa. If you do that, you get a feel for what the game is and if you want to play it further. The TF2 and L4D2 winter achivements are to get three boxes each, which spawn from killing enemies, which happens naturally during gameplay.

Have timed snowflakes fine, but have them with a little more margin of error, at least a second more each. Then people will play normally to unlock the levels to see if they like the game, and have a bit of a challenge to unlock the achivement, and hopefully get into this game so they will be future customers of the company's games (such as for toki tori 2). You want as many potential customers as possible to come away with a POSITIVE impression of the game, NOT a negative one.

WhiteCarnation
12-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Finally got the achievement after a lot of hard work.

It gave me a coal.

7th coal turns into an item.

Item is a coupon.

25% off a Valve game.

I already have 50% off a Valve game.

I already own every Valve game.

Twice.

Oh well, I'll find a use for it.

Djinjifila
12-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I was finding this most tough too, so I built bridges from halfway up the last ladder and ran across .. instead of wasting 3 milliseconds climbing to the top of it before building bridges :p

That's what I did... :)

snapcase
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Better than reading, is watching!

Normal 11 - Snowflake edition video is UP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a3KGKI7_Y

That route takes way too long.

satsun
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
This is definitely a TERRIBLE achievement. YOU NEED TO BE EXTREMELY PRECISE to even get the snowflakes. It's like they plotted the shortest route to the snowflake and then had the AI run it and they took that time and set it as the time the snowflake would disappear.

I typically play the game with a 360 controller but Toki Tori seems to move faster with the mouse so if I want this I'm going to have to get used to using a mouse and keyboard.

RichardU
12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, this achive gives a very bad first impression of the game. Most of the game is NOT nearly as time critical as the achievement.

The achievement definitely gives a terrible impression. During progress of the achievement, I got other "achievements" like failing the same map 10 times or something like that. The whole experience just felt like someone that hates casual paced puzzle gamers mocking me for enjoying that type of thing.

So instead of probably enjoying a second puzzle game from Two Tribes (I liked EDGE), I uninstalled the game due to immense frustration after I finished the achievement. I seriously don't know how this achievement shipped, as it shows a complete lack of understanding of the target audience for the game.

ELSock
12-22-2011, 04:59 PM
video for hard 2... i know its probably something stupid that i'm missing but i just can't seem to get to the snowflake fast enough... i get there and as i get to it... poof... and i can't go this direction any faster

ONe mOMENT
12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Love these achieves, Brings new life to the game after you finished it. Though have to admit, couple of them, couldn't use the rewind enough to fix those small time wasting movements haha.

melog
12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Anyone else has the problem, that there is no snowflake in Hard 1 ?
So i can't get the achievement :(

Tried everything, new installation, verify game files and so on, but still no luck.
Any suggestions?

FlashIV
12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
For those complaining about the difficulty of this achievement due to the time constraints, go try Bunch of Heroes "Holiday Survivor" or Super Meat Boy's "The Golden Gift!" achievements...

Devistater
12-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Anyone else has the problem, that there is no snowflake in Hard 1 ?
So i can't get the achievement :(

Tried everything, new installation, verify game files and so on, but still no luck.
Any suggestions?

You probably aren't getting there fast enough. Play full screen to see more of the map at once, and check out the videos to see how to do the achives.
For those complaining about the difficulty of this achievement due to the time constraints, go try Bunch of Heroes "Holiday Survivor" or Super Meat Boy's "The Golden Gift!" achievements...

Yeah, the heroes one is a pain. I spent hours on it, and it was broken most of the first day. Hilariously I saw many games being played on the normal default survival level instead of the santa one. The achivement requires the santa one, apparently many achivement players don't even bother reading the achivement description!

The meat boy one I dunno, its not a goal yet.

Scottz0rz
12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I got all of the snowflakes with relative ease, but I had to look up a guide for Bonus 2. But, once I got them all, the achievement didn't unlock? :confused:

urbanriot
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Normal Level 11 VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a3KGKI7_Y), Thanks to Gruber.

Have they patched something since this video went up? It is physically impossible to move to that point on level 11, displayed in that video, quick enough to freeze that enemy the way it's displayed in the video. Holding down the keys immediately, at every turn, I get to that point as quick as possible and immediately freeze with crack speeds and the block of ice drops... it doesn't stay at the top.

It's having the opposite effect of 'christmas spirit' on me.

Devistater
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Have they patched something since this video went up? It is physically impossible to move to that point on level 11, displayed in that video, quick enough to freeze that enemy the way it's displayed in the video. Holding down the keys immediately, at every turn, I get to that point as quick as possible and immediately freeze with crack speeds and the block of ice drops... it doesn't stay at the top.

It's having the opposite effect of 'christmas spirit' on me.

No I don't think so, but try another video, this video has ALL of the snowflakes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51ZG-WKkso

Also remember what the rest of the thread says, xbox controller in this game introduces just enough lag so you can't score some of the flakes with that.

urbanriot
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Oh! Get this... I've always played this game with a keyboard... which I'm unfortunately punished for using, by the developers.

It would have saved me a lot of frustration and extreme agitation if I knew the achievements were impossible without playing with the mouse. Thank you, Devistater.

Might be a good idea for the OP, ASecondOpinion, to update the first post that players must use a mouse to get the objectives.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 07:12 PM

The thing is - you almost never need the level of precision these achievements ask for in the rest of the game - it's a cerebral game, not a twitch/speedrun thing...

The final level (Bonus 3) is definately impossible on my PC using a 360 controller - you just lean on the stick and mash the bridge button and you'll land on the snowflake just as it starts to fade (and it doesn't count).

Using the keyboard seems little better - the mouse is DEFINATELY quicker to get to the top of the ladders. Problem is that it's just utterly awful for positioning TT and dropping the bridges (which also seems to be quicker with the mouse for some reason!?).

Different levels work better with different controls - shame they couldn't just make the bloody thing work properly isn't it?

technokat
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Oh, but looking at these walkthrough videos are? The idea of these Christmas marketing gimmicks are for exposure and sales, not to irk potential customers.

Go ramp your difficulties in TT2 for all I care. Leave spoiling Christmas fun for the Grinch.

johnpeat
12-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Can I just add that having reached Hard 1 - I don't have a snowflake there either!!!!

Not appearing even at the start - doing the level doesn't reward anything (it's not invisible - it's just not there).

I guess I could resort to a savegame cheat but it would be nice to find out where that snowflake has gone.

For the record, I've "completed" Hard 1 in the normal game - maybe that's it?

HellAvenger
12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
omg, my fingers are tired. got them all, using keyboard

MeestaNob!
12-22-2011, 09:21 PM
The last sale achievements for Toki Tori weren't fun to attempt last time either...

krouton3
12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
im pretty sure the last achievement event to get to the light sunbeams didnt have a time limit so it wasnt annoying at all and was rather fun.

Dr. Weird
12-22-2011, 09:34 PM
This is brutally hard in the most unfun kind of way. Even with the perfect path, I keep having the snowflakes melt on me because of the time teleportation takes. This is the most painful in Hard 2, where Toki overlaps the flake, but is still too late.
Getting the Steam-wide equivalent of a TF2 crate shouldn't be so frustrating.

Zenerol
12-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I just want to say that this has been my most favourite xmas challenge thus far. It was a challenge for sure... and they should be!

I managed Norm 1,6,11,12 and Hard 1,2 before looking up these forums for help. Hard 5 and Bonus 2 were real doozies! Had fun, and I would not have played this game if it were not for this "gift comp"... glad I did!

+1 rep for OP.. and kudos to DSHNX for the video.

P.S. Used keyboard only for all.

P.P.S. I got 1 coal for this challenge.

Keirnoth
12-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah, it was kind of night and day between the summertime achievements, which were great by the way, and perfectly fit the casual platformer theme of the game, and these winter ones, which felt like older "Nintendo hard" platformer/puzzle games. I don't know if that was your intention, but if you (Two Tribes) wanted to promote this game, I think it would be prudent not to do something like this again.

Most of the levels in TT require you to just think ahead and figure out what you're going to be doing at a relaxed pace. The Winter Sale achievement made the game feel like the complete opposite of it. Sure, put stuff like this in bonus levels or DLC, but for something promotional that's supposed to be helping you sell copies and spread word about the game, keep the frustratingly hard stuff out. Stick to what you guys did in the Summer sale - that was great.

I love the rest of the game because of this, but I can understand why the Winter achievement would give people bad impressions. Just look at this thread.

Bloodmoore
12-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm having fun with this achievement.

Good job Two Tribes, thanks for the Christmas event.

It's great to see the developers supporting this game :).

bwillb
12-23-2011, 12:50 AM
okay screw this holiday event. I busted my ♥♥♥ getting all 10 of those damn snowflakes, and what do i get? 10% off a bitComposer game. 10%! they're all currently at least 50% off! at least have the decency to give me a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ lump of coal.

Slimbob
12-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Did I get the achievement? Yes. Will I ever play Toki Tori again because of it? Absolutely not. I really liked the game too. It was enjoyable when played as intended.

I would like to say that whoever tested this achievement for how well it works with the controls of the game should be fired, but it is very clear that this was not tested in the slightest.

I'm not going to go on repeating a lot of what was already mentioned before me. I just wanted to vent most of all and just in hopes that a mod reads this and decides to pass a message along to QA. In all honesty, this ruined the game for me.

Protoss
12-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Great, an achievement with seconds-exact timing and rushing. Now you turned off all people that bought Toki Tori for the achievement.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gog-protoss/screenshot/594705619934008001

Thing like this are a pain. You must use keyboard and even if you know what to do you fail in 19 out of 20 times. The screenshot captured the 20th time. :D

Devistater
12-23-2011, 01:52 AM
okay screw this holiday event. I busted my ♥♥♥ getting all 10 of those damn snowflakes, and what do i get? 10% off a bitComposer game. 10%! they're all currently at least 50% off! at least have the decency to give me a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ lump of coal.

10% sounds pretty low, was it a gold coupon that can be used during sale? All the coupons I've seen are non-gold and can't be used until Jan 2 after sale.

Colorfuljosh
12-23-2011, 03:06 AM
I liked all the challenges except for the very final one, it is ridiculous ,one single wrong turn and you fail I have gotten within .005 of a second about 20 times so far -.-

Colorfuljosh
12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
and two tries after I say that I get it, on the final bonus flake, when you get up to the last ladder before you start putting down the platforms do not face away push in the direction of the flake before you finish climbing the ladder it will save you .4 of a second which is what I needed to beat it

moldy_tomato
12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
My initial reaction upon reading this comment was "Wow! Really?"

I'd say it's a mistake to think that it's designed for kids.
The target audience is clearly players of all ages.

collin_twotribes
12-23-2011, 03:28 AM
I'd like to add that I hope the person who decided to make this is split-second pin-perfect speedrun achievement gets absolutely jarate-all for Christmas - in fact I hope their oven breaks so they can't have dinner either - and their power goes off so no telly or internet either

and I hope it snows where they live

indoors... :o

That would be me! I am such a horrible person that I do not even have a Christmas tree to store gifts under or loved ones to eat dinner with.

nibblemonkey
12-23-2011, 05:10 AM
That would be me! I am such a horrible person that I do not even have a Christmas tree to store gifts under or loved ones to eat dinner with.

How serious are you about that?

M4nkoRid3r
12-23-2011, 05:14 AM
It was challenging, but also infuriating. Aren't challenges meant to have some degree of fun/enjoyment for the target audience? Because it wasn't fun at all for me, and my android, PC and I love toki tori.

:confused:

Devistater
12-23-2011, 05:17 AM
It was challenging, but also infuriating. Aren't challenges meant to have some degree of fun/enjoyment for the target audience?
Only if they want to have more returning customers in the future.

Note that I'm talking about this particular challenge, which may be the ONLY exposure many people have to this game.
Because it wasn't fun at all for me, and my android, PC and I love toki tori.

:confused:
And this is exactly my point. By doing this in this fashion, they are driving some portion of future customers who LIKE this kind of puzzle game away. You yourself like this game and didn't like this challenge.

Wolfskinx
12-23-2011, 05:29 AM
I liked the chalenge and it was not that hard. Took me approximately two hours to complete and was having really good time. Probably best of all achievemnt I've completed yet. Only level I got little frustrated was the one with repetitive teleporting.

I play it all on keyboard. Used mouse only for teleporting.

Got coal :(.

Vegeta10000
12-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Very cool =) i have collect all ;)

Nexzus
12-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks for this, got them all in about 15minutes.

1 coal for this, gege!

marc112334
12-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Watched the last video and it helped me a lot. Thank you!

Edit: Got a game called "Vegas: Make it big".
Never heard about it and to be honest I don`t want it so I`m ready to trade ^^

Devistater
12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Edit: Got a game called "Vegas: Make it big".
Never heard about it and to be honest I don`t want it so I`m ready to trade ^^

Looks like a time management game, its on sale for about $1.25 right now. There's a forum section for steam trades which might get additional interest in trading.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

johnpeat
12-23-2011, 08:28 AM
im pretty sure the last achievement event to get to the light sunbeams didnt have a time limit so it wasnt annoying at all and was rather fun.

You did have to unlock all the levels tho - which was a fair bit of work for new players...

It wasn't quite as frustrating as this tho - at least there were 10 sunbeams for everyone!

johnpeat
12-23-2011, 08:30 AM

If you'd seen the amount of driving around, shopping, preparation, cooking, pickling, phonecalling, planning and suchlike that I've done in the last 2 weeks - you'd be GLAD of that too.

Seriously - I think I'd need to do less work if I was told a bomb was going to hit the country and I'd need to build a shelter - Christmas is becoming far far far too much work!!

The Rog
12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I got all of them except Hard 2.
I can't get this one!! 8oP

Edit:
Ah! I finally got it!
Hint: Teleport out of the log at the top.

KaySakura
12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I can't get even the one on Normal 1. It vanishes right when i get to it. How do i run faster?

Ansive
12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
You never stop moving... and use the shortest route. Don't forget to take teleport into consideration. (teleport / direction / teleport, as fast as you can time it)
And use the keyboard only.

ASecondOpinion
12-23-2011, 11:12 AM
You cried hard and TwoTribes have listened. The achievement now grants a little more time. :)

timpkmn89
12-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Looks like they changed Hard 1's to make it harder

collin_twotribes
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
It should be more clear what is expected of you now. And the timing has been expanded. Give it a try.

Spaceguy5
12-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Time expanded? The 1st one still disappears right as I reach it =| It's like it was designed to have +/- 0 seconds leeway from the most ideal travel time.

M4nkoRid3r
12-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Cried hard? Lol...

apotle41
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
lol @ people crying about other people wanting saves. the game sucks, if it was fun it would be different.

ASecondOpinion
12-23-2011, 10:40 PM
lol @ people crying about other people wanting saves. the game sucks, if it was fun it would be different.

Disagree.
Psychonauts is fun: People have asked for saves.
Tropico is fun: People have asked for saves.
Defense Grid: People have asked for saves.
Binding of Isaac: People have asked for saves.

Many more, too. People are just ♥♥♥♥ing lazy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand not everyone will enjoy Toki Tori - Puzzle platformers aren't for everyone - but that doesn't mean it's not a fun game...

CR - Crono
12-23-2011, 11:11 PM
hey thanks for the info !

moldy_tomato
12-24-2011, 04:28 AM
Something I'd like to mention is that in the video showing how to get all the snowflakes, linked to in the first post, the solutions for Normal 11, Hard 1 and Bonus 3 are not optimal. (some unused bridges and telewarps that could be used to reach the destination faster)

I guess these are the levels most complained about too.

Edit: The solution for Bonus 2 wasn't optimal either; you could have frozen the creature at the beginning a bit earlier, but that no longer matters; now you just go down without freezing anything at the start and still get extra seconds to get the snowflake.

DSHNX
12-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Then share your improvements with us and don't just talk about them, I'm always willing to learn and optimize things :)

Keirnoth
12-24-2011, 05:09 AM
You cried hard and TwoTribes have listened. The achievement now grants a little more time. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27263463#post27263463

I'd appreciate it if you were a little less condescending with your edit - acting like a jerk about people you thought were crybabies about something that wasn't properly thought out in advance makes you no better than the people you are insulting.

I actually finished the achievements before the time change, but the points that people made regarding the achievement were valid. The original nature of the achievements did not fit the way this game was marketed. If this was "Super Meat Boy: Toki Tori Edition" I would've had no problems with it, but its not.

Anyway, thanks for hearing us Collin. I'm glad there are developers who can take constructive criticism (and even some not-so-constructive ones, as there will always be haters) from others and quickly address it.

moldy_tomato
12-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Then share your improvements with us and don't just talk about them, I'm always willing to learn and optimize things :)

Responded in the Youtube video comments (http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=n51ZG-WKkso).

I actually finished the achievements before the time change, but the points that people made regarding the achievement were valid.
I don't think so.
One of the points was that the achievement left no room for error.
I think I have kind of proven that false. (possible to get the snowflakes with slightly slower routes)

Lamb3rt
12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
People are just ♥♥♥♥ing lazy.

It's my ♥♥♥♥ing right to be lazy and if I want to call game not fun, I'll do it, because it's my opinion. GTFO with your pathetic tries to shut my voice down. Toki Tori itself is boring game with terrbile controls and with this achievement it delivers worst game experience I have ever meet in my life. It's annoying, upsetting and ♥♥♥♥ing up. I throw my money on this ♥♥♥♥ and I very, very, very regret it.

Ortreum
12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Hard is undoable ... I found vids the bird walks like lalalalala ... and got the snowflak ... And I've tried it too ... with maybe a lag of 0,5 sek of the fastest possible way ... no way to get it ...
this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51ZG-WKkso
... and the level hard 1 is unbeamable because no update is available ... and steam tells me "it s not to late ..." ... i'm fed up with with unreal achievements ...

ASecondOpinion
12-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I'd appreciate it if you were a little less condescending with your edit - acting like a jerk about people you thought were crybabies about something that wasn't properly thought out in advance makes you no better than the people you are insulting.

I apologise; it was meant to come off as light-hearted. :(

Elmhurst676
12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
It's my ♥♥♥♥ing right to be lazy and if I want to call game not fun, I'll do it, because it's my opinion. GTFO with your pathetic tries to shut my voice down. Toki Tori itself is boring game with terrbile controls and with this achievement it delivers worst game experience I have ever meet in my life. It's annoying, upsetting and ♥♥♥♥ing up. I throw my money on this ♥♥♥♥ and I very, very, very regret it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EdclcAuh9j4/TZwwmwpA_lI/AAAAAAAAAsw/0GC0t037sj4/s1600/taxi.jpg

.bugg.
12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey just wanted to thank the OP, the guide here helped me out greatly

PELUXA1
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info mate!

MagnetJude
12-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Jesus Christ, this was the most enfuriating thing I ever did for an achievement.
The worst is the constant struggle whether to use keyboard or mouse because mouse has delay after commands while precice movements are hard as ♥♥♥♥ with the keyboard.

Why would you make someone speedrun if the contrals are that bad?
The actual game doesn't even seem that bad but I really don't feel like playing it because I already rage if I just see that "ready? trololol" sign.

rumsey
12-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I used WASD, space bar, and the mouse wheel to switch items

I finished in about an hour, wasn't that hard

provitiligo
12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Got it in an hour or less, but I used tutorial videos for some levels. It is indeed pretty hard. Not only you have to find the shortest way, but also do everything EXTREMELY quickly and without ANY error.

Small tip: for faster movement use mouse cursor, not keyboard.

anodd
12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
This achievement was completely impossible on my laptop until I turned all the special effects OFF. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility chip in my laptop, which isn't the greatest GPU on the planet, but it far exceeds the minimum requirements of the average casual game on Steam. The main character still lagged on level 11 a lot, so I got lucky. So, if you are struggling to get this, try turning all the graphics effects off/low in the options menu. Even then, level 11 is just barely possible. It looks like the snowflake timer is independent of the main character's movement speed - on slower hardware, it will be impossible to get to the snowflake in time on some levels.

That said, it still took far longer to get this achievement than for other games I've bought. I expected to get it about 30 minutes into playing the game - along the same amount of time other games took. Instead, it took me 3 hours. This wasn't the best way to introduce new players to your game...

moldy_tomato
12-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Because of the number of posts saying that there is no room for error, I actually measured just how much room there is for error for each snowflake.

These numbers are just my estimates, and the actual times might be slightly higher, and they are all in seconds, not some other random time unit.

Normal 1: 1.00
Normal 6: 2.00
Normal 11: 2.00
Normal 12: 2.00
Hard 1: 0.50
Hard 2: 2.50
Hard 3: 0.25
Hard 5: 2.25
Bonus 2: 10.00
Bonus 3: 1.50

Most of them have at least one second extra time, so I really don't know how you can have so much trouble with them.

The key presses don't even have to be that precise; you can start holding left/right when Toki Tori is falling/climbing and you can start holding up/down (to climb a ladder) when moving left/right.
It's not like you have to press right at the exact moment Toki hits the ground after falling.

Timing-wise, I'd expect the snowflake on Hard 3 to be the hardest to get, especially since you have to quickly use a telewarp twice in a row, and to do that, you have to be a bit more precise than I think should be necessary.

anodd
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Only when I turned the visual effects completely off was I able to get ANY snowflakes (not even level 1). I changed absolutely nothing else nor was any more efficient. The snowflake timer is operating independently of the game clock and therefore will directly affect those on slower hardware.

Stryk
12-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Because of the number of posts saying that there is no room for error, I actually measured just how much room there is for error for each snowflake.

These numbers are just my estimates, and the actual times might be slightly higher, and they are all in seconds, not some other random time unit.

Normal 1: 1.00
Normal 6: 2.00
Normal 11: 2.00
Normal 12: 2.00
Hard 1: 0.50
Hard 2: 2.50
Hard 3: 0.25
Hard 5: 2.25
Bonus 2: 10.00
Bonus 3: 1.50

Most of them have at least one second extra time, so I really don't know how you can have so much trouble with them.

The key presses don't even have to be that precise; you can start holding left/right when Toki Tori is falling/climbing and you can start holding up/down (to climb a ladder) when moving left/right.
It's not like you have to press right at the exact moment Toki hits the ground after falling.

Timing-wise, I'd expect the snowflake on Hard 3 to be the hardest to get, especially since you have to quickly use a telewarp twice in a row, and to do that, you have to be a bit more precise than I think should be necessary.

There's more to it than overall time. One run for example required you to lay down a bridge while running, then teleport. Hit the bridge too soon and you blow it, bridge too late and you're falling. Teleport too soon, etc... It isn't just about hesitating but timing several things in a row one after the other. If you miss the timing you may lose more than a few seconds before you recover or it may be not recoverable at all.

moldy_tomato
12-30-2011, 06:30 AM
There's more to it than overall time. One run for example required you to lay down a bridge while running, then teleport. Hit the bridge too soon and you blow it, bridge too late and you're falling. Teleport too soon, etc... It isn't just about hesitating but timing several things in a row one after the other. If you miss the timing you may lose more than a few seconds before you recover or it may be not recoverable at all.
Even if you do a mistake, you can still press Backspace, Left arrow key and Enter, and try again.

ríomhaire
12-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Reading this thread, it's like people don't realise you can control time in this game. Make any kind of mistake, just tap backspace. Perfect timing isn't difficult when you can rewind and pause time.

pogicraft
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
I give up, but I just want to say that people expect to do these in 5 secs each bc its just Steam pushing people to buy games they may have been on the edge about/it was part of an indie pack that I bought. It isn't really my kind of game and I have no intention of finishing it. And I don't see how Steam gets any benefit by frustrating the heck out of me. I'm not complaining by any means, just explaining my view of why some people want to be done with the achievement ASAP. Especially as the gift pile thing ends tomorrow.

pogicraft
12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Reading this thread, it's like people don't realise you can control time in this game. Make any kind of mistake, just tap backspace. Perfect timing isn't difficult when you can rewind and pause time.

say what? you can rewind time? I thought you had to die to do that??! lol, I'll have another go at it

pogicraft
12-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I just closed chrome, did the universe sandbox gift pile achievement and reloaded this page between posts. That one took all of 3 clicks. I liked that one :)

facebrick
12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Very frustrating via keyboard, but doable. Achievement unlocked. Unfortunately, it's not being counted on the Gift Pile Objectives page, for some reason. Grrr...