PDA

View Full Version : HIB version of Cave Story+ music in the Steam version - Is this possible?

Mr Smegheneghan
12-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I've checked the forum and there's at least one topic that suggests a way to do this, but it's pretty dumb, because you may as well just play the Humble Indie Bundle version. Is there some way to pull this off or am I gonna have to make do until an update comes out or something?

Cantisque
12-17-2011, 09:47 AM
The "New" music in the Steam version is just stored as ogg format audio files. You'd simply replace those with the ones you'd like to use.

This should work, in theory. I didn't get the HIB version though, so I can't swap them to see.

Is there any difference between them anyway? They both seem to just have the original and Wiiware music.

Elenoe
12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
it won't work that way. Investigated that already. Problem is the new soundtrack is composed from more ogg files then the original (steam one).

Where steam version has one ogg for track. New version has two: an intro and an repeat part. So to get one old 40s track you need to combine new intro (4s) and 3x repeat part (each has like 11s) into one file.

It can be converted, but I haven't found good free ogg joiner that would not be pain to work with (and so many tracks). And I'm personally satisfied with steam version (the track is original during all playtime and the new one is really like 10s repeating all around). But somebody else could join tracks properly. (It need to be rechecked how many repeat parts you need to add as some tracks are intro only, some are meant to be repeated many times, some just few times... )

but it is possible. The result would be new set of tracks overriding the steam ones. But it would be much easier if they would just upload new version to steam.