PDA

View Full Version : I5 VS. I7: Is There Really That Big a Differece?

Nyshan
12-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I currently own one of the best processors in modern history, the i5 2300K. It's reliable, it's powerful, and it's cheap. I've only ever seen one i7 build and... well... it wasn't fully utilized i.e. it had a 6870. (I haven't seen benchmarks, which I will now go look at) They only seem like expensive remolds of the i5 but with slightly higher clock speeds.

Kind of ended that abruptly,
Nyshan

P.S. I mean no hate for those that adopted an i7 I just want to know if they're more than they seem.

Zodiark1593
12-18-2011, 09:01 AM
The differences between the i5-2500K and the i7-2600K is cache and Hyperthreading. Both are very useful for video encoding and the like, but there's few if any games that take advantage of Hyperthreading.

TeKraken
12-18-2011, 09:13 AM
they have hyperthreading, good if you need it (for video work etc), a waste of 100 if you don't.

Aulex
12-18-2011, 09:42 AM
If your a gamer, barely any difference, if you render, encode music, etc. then it does.

borg_7_of_9
12-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I have the I7 2600K and it shines when video encoding witch I need to do a lot bit behind atm.. Gaming no difference really with HT on or off

But even that point is stating to change with direct compute, AMD and Nvidia cards can do the job much faster than any CPU but software that uses it is still a little flaky..

Bad_Motha
12-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I got a 2600K when first released and after swapping it out for a 2500K and getting pretty much the same performance in games and pretty much everything else I do, I sold the 2600K to a co-worker who needed it for his personal work/AV/VE setup. So at least he gets the benefit of it's features. In gaming, a 2500K is all you need, and it's more then enough. Considering it's price, why drop down to an i3 or even i5-2400. Plus it will still stomp anything AMD has out there.

venomblade89
12-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Hyperthreading isn't worth the extra $100 if you're going to be gaming and light encoding. 2500k all the way.

CenturyChild
12-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I agree, and can confirm ..

If you do alot of video encoding the 2600/2700k is the way to go, hands down.

But for gaming, they do not offer much of anything over the 2500.
And even when they do get the upper hand in gaming, its by such a small margin it could still be considered a margin of error.
Which it likely may be just that.

zezzex
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree, and can confirm ..

If you do alot of video encoding the 2600/2700k is the way to go, hands down.

But for gaming, they do not offer much of anything over the 2500.
And even when they do get the upper hand in gaming, its by such a small margin it could still be considered a margin of error.
Which it likely may be just that.

everyone talks about video encoding...What exactly is video encoding??

RodgerM
12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
everyone talks about video encoding...What exactly is video encoding??

Creating VCDs from AVIs, making them in to NTSC from PAL and stuff like that I assume.

CenturyChild
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Correct.

Video encoding would be when you say .. Take a BluRay or DVD disc you own and shrink it down to a smaller size from its original. Good for if you use your PC as a media server and want your disc collection to be digital.

Or, Take a large 1080p video file from your Camcorder, and recode it to DVD resolutions, or crunch the size down to store on your HD as a file.
Things along that line.

Also doing things such as .. taking a DIVX file and converting it into a lower resolution MP4 file that your iPhone or portable Zune player can play or converting to DVD format.

These types of things take a lot of processing power, and can be quite time consuming depending on the project you are working on.
Wspecially when doing something like taking a 1080P source and downsizing to 720p or vise-a-versa.
So more threads = better/faster performance.

However, as others have mentioned, if this is not something you do often, its probably not worth it.

imeem
12-18-2011, 07:56 PM
doesn't creating a video with programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier count as video encording?

borg_7_of_9
12-18-2011, 08:35 PM
doesn't creating a video with programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier count as video encording?

yes at some point the edited video has to be encoded for the final video format..

Versteken
12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't know why everyone is so hung up on video encoding. ANY multi-threaded app will take advantage of hyperthreading.

They only seem like expensive remolds of the i5 but with slightly higher clock speeds.

They...what?

If you think this, you don't really understand how CPU's work.

There aren't many people who are going to truly stress even the weakest desktop CPU's. I've always got various apps running along with watching TV or a movie while playing games, and my CPU useage barely ever hits 25%. With all that, can you imagine how much it would take to truly load my CPU up?

Yeah, neither can I.

The i5 is not better or worse than any other CPU. It's very suitable for those people who don't/can't/won't take advantage of it's capabilities. But that does not make it the right CPU for everyone.

Baron_Fel
12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't know why everyone is so hung up on video encoding. ANY multi-threaded app will take advantage of hyperthreading.

Because its one of the few common use case scenarios that benefit from HT. Games are multi threaded to varying degrees, but they tend not to benefit much/at all from HT.

Versteken
12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Because its one of the few common use case scenarios that benefit from HT.

No, that's not true. What about Virtual Machines? that's a pretty damn common use, and it makes VERY heavy utilization of multi-cores.

Or how about just simple heavy multi-tasking? All 8 of my cores are working right now. The 4 main cores are far more busy, but having hyperthreading available is allowing them each to do more work than they would otherwise. that's extra threads being processed right now, instead of waiting in queue to be processed.

Games are multi threaded to varying degrees, but they tend not to benefit much/at all from HT.

Depends on the games, but that's something else people are WAY too fixated on. It's not all about games either.

Baron_Fel
12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
No, that's not true. What about Virtual Machines? that's a pretty damn common use, and it makes VERY heavy utilization of multi-cores.

Virtual machines arent even common for the kind of people who go on these forums, let alone the general public lol.

Versteken
12-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Virtual machines arent even common for the kind of people who go on these forums, let alone the general public lol.

I guess you've taken a poll?

Baron_Fel
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I guess you've taken a poll?

just a guess.

borg_7_of_9
12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm with Baron, this forum is more about gamer's than a general forum I doubt there's that many gamers running VM's sure we don't just game but I doubt many of us use VM's on the side..

Versteken
12-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm with Baron, this forum is more about gamer's than a general forum I doubt there's that many gamers running VM's sure we don't just game but I doubt many of us use VM's on the side..

Why? Because it's Steam? Ok, that's fair. But what makes you so sure they're all doing video encoding? Or that somehow, people who play games are more likely to encode video than run VM's, or anything else?

cmon, guys, really now. You're both talking out of your asses and know it. One thing as nothing to do with the other. You're all just saying "VIDEO ENCODING!" because you read someone else say that, and you don't have any better examples to offer.

Baron_Fel
12-18-2011, 10:18 PM
So, what makes you so sure they're all doing video encoding?

cmon, guys, really now. You're both talking out of your asses and know it.

if you want to watch any media you own on a mobile device, theres usually going to be some transcoding involved. Lots of people watch content on mobile devices. Certainly more than the number of people who have ever used a VM.

you dont need to prove an assumption like this, its pretty obvious.

borg_7_of_9
12-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Also a lot of gamers like to record there game play and upload to you tube for all to see... well may be not a lot but when you take mobile devices, recorded game play, older ppl like my self with family video's you can see why video rendering/encoding becomes widely used..

HL2-4-Life
12-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Geez, after reading thru this thread, I suppose I am going to be the one with the most under-utilized cpu here...:o

borg_7_of_9
12-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Geez, after reading thru this thread, I suppose I am going to be the one with the most under-utilized cpu here...:o

SO what it's the fastest here, Man I really should have waited, O well....

Sure you may not utilize it now but give it a few years....
Just like our old X9650's well not that I ever seen that CPU @100% load in any game's but it was getting closer every year.....

HL2-4-Life
12-19-2011, 02:10 AM
SO what it's the fastest here, Man I really should have waited, O well....

Sure you may not utilize it now but give it a few years....
Just like our old X9650's well not that I ever seen that CPU @100% load in any game's but it was getting closer every year.....Yeah, when I get the HD7970, I'm going to install this HD6950 @6970 in my X9650 rig, it'd be my 2nd fastest rig. The HD5870, which is in it right now, will prolly be shelved as my reserve card.

borg_7_of_9
12-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Yeah, when I get the HD7970, I'm going to install this HD6950 @6970 in my X9650 rig, it'd be my 2nd fastest rig. The HD5870, which is in it right now, will prolly be shelved as my reserve card.

I take it from that ya not going to wait for NV cards then...
But yeah I don't think I can wait I want to play Metro in all its glory :D not at medium.....

HL2-4-Life
12-19-2011, 02:27 AM
I take it from that ya not going to wait for NV cards then...
But yeah I don't think I can wait I want to play Metro in all its glory :D not at medium.....What? With the 'HD6970', I can do Metro at Very High spec, DX11 - DoF + Tessellation - AAA @1080P w/o PhysX and still get very playable FR. I'll recheck the setting again, as I'd just transferred some of my Steam games to try and fill up 1/2 of my 2TB partition.

borg_7_of_9
12-19-2011, 02:34 AM
What? With the 'HD6970', I can do Metro at Very High spec, DX11 - DoF + Tessellation - AAA @1080P w/o PhysX and still get very playable FR. I'll recheck the setting again, as I'd just transferred some of my Steam games to try and fill up 1/2 of my 2TB partition.

I'm still on my 4890's lol

HL2-4-Life
12-19-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm still on my 4890's lolOops, my bad, forgot you're still on those badboys.:o Anyway, I don't think you're missing that much in terms of visuals, but yeah, you're more in need of a graphics update than me.:p:D

borg_7_of_9
12-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Oops, my bad, forgot you're still on those badboys.:o Anyway, I don't think you're missing that much in terms of visuals, but yeah, you're more in need of a graphics update than me.:p:D

Nice to know that you can run Metro with a single HD6970 max the 7970 should do nicely for me then...

HL2-4-Life
12-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Nice to know that you can run Metro with a single HD6970 max the 7970 should do nicely for me then...Yeah, a single HD7970 ought to do very nicely for now, if it's more powerful than the GTX580 by at least 20% (according to the rumor mill). Anyway, I'm going to be busy transferring more of my Steam games to this rig, plus I'm determined to finish BF3, so I'm gonna start the game right now. Been a blast chatting with you. borg, take care bro.

borg_7_of_9
12-19-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah, a single HD7970 ought to do very nicely for now, if it's more powerful than the GTX580 by at least 20% (according to the rumor mill). Anyway, I'm going to be busy transferring more of my Steam games to this rig, plus I'm determined to finish BF3, so I'm gonna start the game right now. Been a blast chatting with you. borg, take care bro.

NP mate cheers n mary x-mass...

CenturyChild
12-19-2011, 09:12 AM
It really does depend. I mean I do Video Encoding daily.
Yet, I have never run a virtual machine though.
I do some Photshiop work etc, but for me personally ... the Video encoding alone make that HT worth it. because I do ALOT of it.

But I also think (and hopefully this doesn't come out wrong) that any one asking the question..
"Do I really need the 2600/2700 with Hyperthreading?"

Most likely would never benefit from it.

And I only say that because any one that does alot of Multi-Threaded work .. (of any kind) will already know if they need more threads to help the effeciency of the work they do.