PDA

View Full Version : WD: blue vs green vs black ?

RodgerM
12-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Are there really any reason to purchase a WD Black over a Blue? Does a black one really give you better/faster results than a blue one? Wont a blue one be fine for most people ? I heard that the green ones aren't well for anything but storage? But how are the worse off than the Blue or Black editions ? I'm assuming the RPMs are said to 'slow it down' since most of them are 5000 range RPMs still ?

Are there really any benchmarks that support these ideas ?

TeKraken
12-18-2011, 01:00 PM
If it's for apps, i'd go black.

My experience is with the greens - they take a long time to spin up, it was often not ready to be written to, causing atapi errors. So I binned it off and got a samsung f4.

IDK about the blues.

My2c.

JupiterSWarrior
12-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't waste money on the Greens. They are not of good quality. I don't know about the Blues, but the Blacks are great quality. I got a couple of them myself. Still going strong.

DIENER
12-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Green are for storage only since they run in 5400 rpm.

Black are for everything and are running at the normal 7200 rpm.

Blue are close to the same as Black.

MrSniker
12-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Western Digital Black also has a 5 year warranty instead of a 3, whole reason I got one was because of that.

RodgerM
12-18-2011, 01:47 PM
If it's for apps, i'd go black.

My experience is with the greens - they take a long time to spin up, it was often not ready to be written to, causing atapi errors. So I binned it off and got a samsung f4.

IDK about the blues.

My2c.

So avoid them all together ?

So if you aren't gaming and need all the bandwidth you can get, Blue is fine ?

Western Digital Black also has a 5 year warranty instead of a 3, whole reason I got one was because of that.

Even OEM/bare drives ? I must admit I forgot lol. I put a WD black in my new system.

DIENER
12-18-2011, 02:54 PM
So if you aren't gaming and need all the bandwidth you can get, Blue is fine ?
Yes.

5char

Aulex
12-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Yea blue is basically mainstream hdd where it isn't the best, but it's still good quality and still respectable in speeds

RodgerM
12-18-2011, 03:20 PM
So from what I got out of this, avoid the green ones all together no matter for what. Not even storage? Buy Blue atleast, and WD is the big bad super daddy?

wuliheron
12-18-2011, 03:23 PM
So from what I got out of this, avoid the green ones all together no matter for what. Not even storage? Buy Blue atleast, and WD is the big bad super daddy?

Yeah, unless you really need a lot of cheap storage just avoid the green altogether. However, the Samsung spinpoint is a good alternative to the WD blacks.

TeKraken
12-18-2011, 03:34 PM
yup, blue at least.

NoBridges
12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
For storage I'd go for a Samsung F3. They are crazy fast but are worthless as a system drive.

borg_7_of_9
12-18-2011, 03:51 PM
For storage I'd go for a Samsung F3. They are crazy fast but are worthless as a system drive.

So 1 of the fastest HDD is worthless as a system drive WTF, if ya on a budget and can't afford an SSD the Samsung F3 is the drive to get if ya need a Fast HDD.. The next step up is the new 4TB Seagate it's the fastest HDD right now..

NoBridges
12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
So 1 of the fastest HDD is worthless as a system drive WTF

It does not handle smaller files well and it's random read is pretty crap. However burst speed is through the roof, and that's what matters when used as storage and loading stuff such as games.

A regular Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue is far better as a system drive than an F3.

System drive: Where the OS is installed.

CenturyChild
12-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Blues are good drives. Especially the 640GB AAKS

Blacks are a bit faster, overall higher quality design.
But both the Blue & Blacks perform quite well, Blacks being the better of the two at a premium.

I too would not even consider a Green drive, unless for maybe a Backup only drive.
Even then, I would (and do) WD Blues for Backup, WD Blacks for all other storage, and SSD for OS.

Offender_Mullet
12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Not sure where you got that info from. :) I had two different raid setups with F3 drives + one 2TB F4 used as storage for my personal comp. And all the ones I repaired or built for people over the past couple years all got Sammy drives. Haven't had one complaint.

Those were the most reliable, coolest running and fastest (that weren't 10k+ rpm) hd's I've ever used. I wouldn't even tell my worst enemy to buy a WD and/or Seagate over a Samgsung.

I'm not sure why people flock to Western Digital, probably the same reason why people flock to Corsair. Name recognition/availability and that's it.

And as far as that new Seagate 4TB drive goes: They purchased Samsung's hd branch a while back, but doesn't seem like they're utilizing any of Samsung's tech. So as always...stay away from Seagate...now if this was 6+ years ago (when they were decent) that's a different story. ;)

HL2-4-Life
12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Yep, WDC Black for apps, and in my case, storage for my games. My OS runs off an SSD, my games are stored in a 2TB WDC Black drive, partitioned for Steam games and all other games. I am making arrangement to score two more 1TB WDC Black HDDs, all doing SATA3 6gb/s interface. I stll have space for one more drive, I would prolly fill it with a WDC Blue drive, or a Samsung.....not in a rush for this so I am going to wait and see.

As for the Green drive, avoid like the plague, I have a dead 500GB WDC Green which I had used for only a few months. I have had drives die on me before but it was only after putting in years of service in my rigs, and usually after warranty period.

CenturyChild
12-18-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure why people flock to Western Digital, probably the same reason why people flock to Corsair. Name recognition/availability and that's it.

Not sure about others, but every WD Ive ever owned has been a good one. I had 1 Seagate that was nothing but trouble from day 1, and died in a few months.
That 1 bad experience kinda left a sour feeling towards them since.

So, I have just stuck with WD for that reason alone. Not that other brands are bad ... but the track history with WD has been good for me over the years. So I've had no reason to look elsewhere I suppose.

My personal exp. & reasoning behind it anyway.
I know others may very well have a complete opposite experience.

NoBridges
12-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Not sure where you got that info from.

Because I own two of them and reviews will say the same. Noticeably slower as a system drive but also noticeably faster as a storage drive.

Offender_Mullet
12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Because I own two of them and reviews will say the same. Noticeably slower as a system drive but also noticeably faster as a storage drive.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. And I've had different experiences, not sure if you missed that part. ;)

borg_7_of_9
12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
HDD's are HDD's they all fail and I have had HDD's from both WD and Seagate fail so I have no preference they seem to last around the same amount of time and fail just out of warranty :mad: The only drive's that haven't failed me are Toshiba and Samsung's, I've seen 1 dead Hitachi not mine and a fair mix of WD and Seagate drives that where not mine and failed..

IMO get what ever is cheap with a good warranty, if it dies under warranty who cares... On that note with the number of ppl switching to SSD for the OS a HDD failure is even less of a worry.. The OS is the worst think to have to reinstall.. (I keep a backup of my games externally)

RodgerM
12-19-2011, 02:23 AM

So you are saying we should now look up our models of our hard drive like we do our PSU's to find out if they are really good or not ?

Garbagemanfight
12-19-2011, 02:33 AM
I've had three WD Blues fail on me in the span of about three years. In my brother's computer that I built for him, he had one fail in about a year and was replaced under warranty. The replacement failed about two years later and the warranty had expired. The other I had in my own computer and it failed just past 3 years and was out of warranty.

Both computers are rocking the Samsung F3s now and haven't had any issues yet, but yea I don't really trust WD drives anymore.

Offender_Mullet
12-19-2011, 07:00 AM
So you are saying we should now look up our models of our hard drive like we do our PSU's to find out if they are really good or not ?
It wouldn't hurt. When I add a hd (or whatever) to someone's pc who's budget doesn't fit the components I usually buy is when I search for long-term durability amongst user reviews/forums for said item. However, sometimes it's hard finding hardware with more than just a few people commenting on it, or that yield more in-depth info other than "like omg this drive stinks".

RodgerM
12-19-2011, 08:13 AM
It wouldn't hurt. When I add a hd (or whatever) to someone's pc who's budget doesn't fit the components I usually buy is when I search for long-term durability amongst user reviews/forums for said item. However, sometimes it's hard finding hardware with more than just a few people commenting on it, or that yield more in-depth info other than "like omg this drive stinks".

WD6402AAEX-00Z3A0 is the one that's in the 'gaming machine'.

Dell shipped me with a:

WD5000AAKS-75YGA0

edit: looks like Dell was using Blue at the time.

demonology
12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I bought an HP simplesave 2tb on clearance at staples (canada) for 54.95. I took the harddrive out of it and put it in my comp, its a WD green 2tb drive 32mb cache i think 5400 rpm (at the time i checked on newegg and these costed around 79.95CAD so I was happy for the bargain). It works fine as my storage drive, have even ran a few games off of it to test, didn't notice ----much--- difference from my 7200 rpm drives, although my other drives are seagate barracudas.

This was shortly before the flooding caused HDDs to skyrocket in price.... just checked newegg WD green 3.0gb/s 32mb cache 2TB drives are like $225 canadian. lol.

bdmason
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I've been using WD Green drives (1 TB & 2 TB) for over 2 years now for storage and haven't had any problems. Don't know what the hate is. I monitor the S.M.A.R.T. status on occasion. Nothing wrong so far.

Would never use them as system drives, but they're not designed for that.

RodgerM
12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I've been using WD Green drives (1 TB & 2 TB) for over 2 years now for storage and haven't had any problems. Don't know what the hate is. I monitor the S.M.A.R.T. status on occasion. Nothing wrong so far.

Would never use them as system drives, but they're not designed for that.

I thought SMART was like "Hey baby, you alright?" "Fuh shaw honey!" rather than taking her temp, blood pressure, etc to actually find out if "she is alright" ?

Another words: I thought it was too late when SMART said something?

demonology
12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
isnt smart more like hey baby u alright? "i got cancer" then she dies in 2-3 months???

Offender_Mullet
12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
WD6402AAEX-00Z3A0 is the one that's in the 'gaming machine'.

Dell shipped me with a:

WD5000AAKS-75YGA0

edit: looks like Dell was using Blue at the time.
If they're working fine, then be glad they haven't crapped-out on you now :) seeing as how hiiiiiiigh the hd prices are.

I forgot to add earlier my current hd that I'm using in an external usb 3.0 enclosure is a Hitachi DeskStar. It was only $75 at the time (obviously before prices skyrocketed) so I figured why not give it a shot. Perfect so far. Seems to run just a tiny bit cooler (by primitive touch method) than the Samsung F4 I had.

RodgerM
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
If they're working fine, then be glad they haven't crapped-out on you now :) seeing as how hiiiiiiigh the hd prices are.

I forgot to add earlier my current hd that I'm using in an external usb 3.0 enclosure is a Hitachi DeskStar. It was only $75 at the time (obviously before prices skyrocketed) so I figured why not give it a shot. Perfect so far. Seems to run just a tiny bit cooler (by primitive touch method) than the Samsung F4 I had.

yeah I had in mind of buying a 1TB hard drive for gigantor storage for Christmas..... then BOOM! there went that idea. (I only had $60 to use for Christmas... I had to buy a damn chair instead anyway).