PDA

View Full Version : developing a campaign

necrodoom
12-19-2011, 08:26 AM
LATEST VERSION: v0.10 PRERELEASE 3 http://www.mediafire.com/?ovb3r09373g78z2

briefing changes

KNOWN BUGS: [MINOR] unknown ally entity spawning at end of bridge of "and hell followed"

Nifran
12-19-2011, 03:19 PM
For the weapon terminal place an ordinary terminal and sets its type to items.

I'll check your missions out but wont be till after the holidays.

_Emo_
03-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Nice campaign. I liked the large battle where we have to take part in. I hope that you will finish it. Here's the video playthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhiRLGRtbUI

motorsep
03-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Alright! Cool stuff! Getting more content to release as community mission pack is always a good thing! We appreciate it!

I tweeted, Facebooked and +1 it on Google! Good job!

_Emo_
04-01-2012, 12:19 AM
The download link is dead, so I reuploaded it:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21491980/necrocampaign-V0.2alpha.zip

necrodoom
04-17-2012, 06:48 AM
thanks for emoleveldesigner (_emo_) for getting me back to steel storm, left the campaign because i thought no one is going to play it, but this shows im wrong. developing the third level right now, and some bug reports:

1. enemies and allys seem to spawn ghosts on editor if set to spawn on map start

2. enemies and allys, when spawned, do not fire at enemies unless given a move command.

requests for editor:

triggers to enable AI to move farther a path
triggers for game over: so you can set an object so you need to protect it

also:
new ally types would be nice, aswell as some form of AI artilley

EDIT: fixed V0.2alpha: http://www.mediafire.com/?covrvt2s0v7ac89

EDIT2: new version: http://www.mediafire.com/?k41ejlukz92kjdl

EDIT3: 3rd level is a tough nut. still beta: http://www.mediafire.com/?q79i76mdmaew927

motorsep
04-17-2012, 10:34 AM
That's how it is.. When you save your mission and play it not in the editor, you will have everything as planned (e.g. no ghosts, etc.)

Unfortunately, no new improvements coming to the game until our official map pack is released. The programmer doesn't really have any inspiration for Steel Storm as he is into coding Tomes of Mephistopheles.

That being said, the reason for me to code SS2 by myself and with as simplest code as possible is that I will be able to add features myself (if I can) or for community to mod it.

necrodoom
04-18-2012, 07:47 AM
V0.10 BETA 2.5 is up! http://www.mediafire.com/?zeaiw5b690s9108
fixes various errors!

necrodoom
08-30-2012, 09:29 AM
is anyone actually trying this?

i have a total of 9 downloads on the last version of the campaign.

motorsep
08-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I hope someone does. I am gonna stick it up in the official group. I keep on seeing 100+ people playing the game, I can't believe any of them doesn't visit the forums :(

necrodoom
08-31-2012, 05:04 AM
thank you motorsep for the advertising :D

3 new downloads on the campaign!

motorsep
08-31-2012, 05:23 PM
My pleasure, necrodoom !

necrodoom
09-17-2012, 02:59 AM
NEW UPDATES: http://www.mediafire.com/?g0odaaeb6ldat18

necrodoom
09-19-2012, 07:42 AM
looking for someone to review these maps, testing these maps alone after each edit consumes a lot of time i dont really have, also allows me to see other people strategies to beating maps (i usually go with pushing forward techniques, so allies are pretty much required, not sure about anyone else)

motorsep
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Posted as an announcement and sent it through Twitter and G+. Let's see if anyone will help with testing ;)

You should make couple of videos for YouTube (showing off most exciting moments), short, under 15 sec. If people get excited, they will come and play it.

necrodoom
09-20-2012, 05:21 AM
i dont have access to a video recorder on this limited computer, il try take some pictures. thanks for the help though, motorsep!

necrodoom
09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
new update! V0.9 BETA 2! more adds to 4th map! http://www.mediafire.com/?qnp1gywgnegrlbv

necrodoom
09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
uploaded fixes to campaign! http://www.mediafire.com/?wj01wg1fz1las1o

also it seem printscreen not working with steelstorm, shows plain black.

motorsep
09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
F12 is to take screenshots. Steam takes one and SS:BR takes one (found in Users\yourloginname\Saved Games\steelstorm\ on Win7).

KIAaze
09-22-2012, 02:45 AM
So how do you install/play that campaign?
You should add some instructions for that in the .zip file.

necrodoom
09-22-2012, 03:16 AM
So how do you install/play that campaign?
You should add some instructions for that in the .zip file.

i dont know my self either, i just throw this into lost missions and test.

KIAaze
09-22-2012, 03:59 AM
Here's something for your readme (or a sticky about mods) :) :

Instructions for GNU/Linux:
1) Unzip the file into ~/.steelstorm/gamedata/data/campaign
2) Rename the extracted folder to "_necro_campaign" (*)
3) Restart steelstorm

(*) Note:
You can rename it to whatever you want, as long as it is all in lower case! (Might not matter on Windows, but GNU/Linux (and Mac I think) are case-sensitive.)
Whatever you name the folder, will be what it appears as in the campaign list, minus the first character and with underscores replaced by spaces, i.e. a folder named "_abc_def" will appear in the campaign list as "abc def".

Now to actually try it out...

KIAaze
09-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Not quite sure what happened, but in "Wrong way of a portal", after I killed all enemies and the only remaining objective was the last wave, nothing happened, even after waiting quite some time.
I found the exit portal, half placed into the wall, but the force field was still on.

KIAaze
09-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Ok, I finished all missions, except the last one. I will finish it later. It seems a bit harder and longer. :)

Unfortunately, I have to admit that due to the limits of the editor, it just feels like more of the same again. :/

motorsep
09-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Was there any expansion pack for any game that didn't feel the same? Just curious because in my experience there was not. And if there is something like that, I'd like to do research :)

necrodoom
09-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Not quite sure what happened, but in "Wrong way of a portal", after I killed all enemies and the only remaining objective was the last wave, nothing happened, even after waiting quite some time.
I found the exit portal, half placed into the wall, but the force field was still on.

i couldnt replicate that, made sure all rocket turrets are destroyed?
also, the portal is on the minimap, so you can find it easily.

motorsep
09-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Here's something for your readme (or a sticky about mods) :) :
Now to actually try it out...

Well, it's a user generated content, so I figured users should elaborate on how to run it, unless there is a dead end ;)

KIAaze
09-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Was there any expansion pack for any game that didn't feel the same? Just curious because in my experience there was not. And if there is something like that, I'd like to do research :)
Well, for expansion packs, I don't know. I haven't tried many. The towers of doom mod was certainly something different. ^^

Expansions usually add something new, like new units, new moves, etc, even if the gameplay remains similar. That's true.

I think my point was that because the editor doesn't allow things like changing the health of units, their weapons, their appearance, the map, add some special AI, scripting, etc, it's hard to make something very different from the main game. I know it's not easy for small teams like yours to create editors as powerful as what Blizzard or Valve do, so don't take it too personally. I'm already glad you even made the effort to make such an easy to use editor. :)

Maybe it is possible to mod the game a bit more, like using external tools to create new maps/units/etc and perhaps even change unit stats somehow.

@Necrodoom:
Anyway, as for the campaign itself, so far, I'm stuck on the last map. Having MIRV missiles might help, but then it might be too easy again. So if the goal was to make it challenging, you succeeded!
Constantly repaired heavy tanks do make things quite harder!
Having friendly units fighting along your side is also quite good. At least it makes things easier. It would have been nice to have a repair gun (there was one in the TOD mod, so it should be available somewhere) as well to get more use out of them.

I think a huge battle with allies, where you actually have to repair your allies to have a chance of survival could be quite interesting.

i couldnt replicate that, made sure all rocket turrets are destroyed?
I think so, but I'm not sure. The second time I tried the map, it worked.

motorsep
09-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, for expansion packs, I don't know. I haven't tried many. The towers of doom mod was certainly something different. ^^

That would be a whole new game if made by the company. When gameplay alters, it's basically a whole new game. Another dev cycle. That's why Dota was made by the community, not by Blizzard.

I think my point was that because the editor doesn't allow things like changing the health of units, their weapons, their appearance, the map, add some special AI, scripting, etc, it's hard to make something very different from the main game. I know it's not easy for small teams like yours to create editors as powerful as what Blizzard or Valve do, so don't take it too personally. I'm already glad you even made the effort to make such an easy to use editor. :)

The only editor that would allow that is UEd or rather UDK (which isn't just an editor). When it comes to AI, and modding gameplay, you have to code it. Only large powerhouses can make and later release WYSIWYG editors and tools.

I don't take it personally as actually making this editor was a waste of time unfortunately. Live and learn :)

Maybe it is possible to mod the game a bit more, like using external tools to create new maps/units/etc and perhaps even change unit stats somehow.

Blender for models, NetRadiant for maps. I thought Necrodoom had new maps too. Or was it someone else? Don't recall now.

Well, when SS2 is out, you could enjoy modding as there are no compiling of scripts, somewhat real-time editing of levels, particles, etc. Power of idTech 4 at your fingertips :)

necrodoom
09-23-2012, 03:40 AM
@Necrodoom:
Anyway, as for the campaign itself, so far, I'm stuck on the last map. Having MIRV missiles might help, but then it might be too easy again. So if the goal was to make it challenging, you succeeded!
Constantly repaired heavy tanks do make things quite harder!
Having friendly units fighting along your side is also quite good. At least it makes things easier. It would have been nice to have a repair gun (there was one in the TOD mod, so it should be available somewhere) as well to get more use out of them.

I think a huge battle with allies, where you actually have to repair your allies to have a chance of survival could be quite interesting.

the repair gun exists in map 3 and 4, also removed MIRV missles because you could hit towers over obstacles. what is the section you couldnt pass though? i can see what i can do.

Blender for models, NetRadiant for maps. I thought Necrodoom had new maps too. Or was it someone else? Don't recall now.

Well, when SS2 is out, you could enjoy modding as there are no compiling of scripts, somewhat real-time editing of levels, particles, etc. Power of idTech 4 at your fingertips :)

i dont have new maps, its emo who made new maps.

KIAaze
09-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Just finally managed to kill the carrier tank only to get killed by a heavy tank putting his arm through the force field and shooting me... :(

Well, I'm stuck at the carrier tank. I need to lure out the heavy tanks to avoid them getting repaired, without getting killed.
I don't think you need to change anything at the moment. It does seem possible, just very hard.

About the repair gun, yes, I realized I could get it from the weapons shop in level 3, but it was unavailable.
I did finish the game at some point, so the weapons should be unlocked. But my saves seem to have been overwritten somehow and I would have to replay all the burning retribution levels to unlock the new weapons I guess. :/

For the MIRV, I still managed to get it, simply by finishing the previous mission with it. Of course now the problem is that if I die with the homing missiles (which I definitely need against the carrier tank), I loose them...

As for bugs, the friendly tanks seem to get stuck sometimes where the powerups pop up after destroying a barrier. But in my case, that's good, because it allows me to keep them alive all the way to the first boss (the one with the beam cannon). All it takes to get them unstuck is some enemy units appearing nearby, which appear when I press the trigger in front of the force field.

P.S.: Note to motorsep and the devs: If you feel like making a small modification to Steelstorm, an option to enable/disable automatic weapon pickup would be really, really nice... If not, keep that in mind for your future games.

necrodoom
09-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Just finally managed to kill the carrier tank only to get killed by a heavy tank putting his arm through the force field and shooting me... :(

Well, I'm stuck at the carrier tank. I need to lure out the heavy tanks to avoid them getting repaired, without getting killed.
I don't think you need to change anything at the moment. It does seem possible, just very hard.

About the repair gun, yes, I realized I could get it from the weapons shop in level 3, but it was unavailable.
I did finish the game at some point, so the weapons should be unlocked. But my saves seem to have been overwritten somehow and I would have to replay all the burning retribution levels to unlock the new weapons I guess. :/

For the MIRV, I still managed to get it, simply by finishing the previous mission with it. Of course now the problem is that if I die with the homing missiles (which I definitely need against the carrier tank), I loose them...

As for bugs, the friendly tanks seem to get stuck sometimes where the powerups pop up after destroying a barrier. But in my case, that's good, because it allows me to keep them alive all the way to the first boss (the one with the beam cannon). All it takes to get them unstuck is some enemy units appearing nearby, which appear when I press the trigger in front of the force field.

P.S.: Note to motorsep and the devs: If you feel like making a small modification to Steelstorm, an option to enable/disable automatic weapon pickup would be really, really nice... If not, keep that in mind for your future games.

the repair gun is spawned in both level 3 and level 4 on the ground, you cant see it?

il add a note about MIRV, though.

as for the carrier, keep the allys alive though first boss, then charge in behind the carrier while allys distract the heavy tanks, throw in a shockwave and you should be able to duel the carrier easily.

necrodoom
09-23-2012, 11:38 AM
NEW UPDATE:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1hwfvrt66tbe5ec

KIAaze
09-23-2012, 02:42 PM
What did you change apart from the note saying that the MIRV is supposed to be disabled?

Is there an easy way to start a campaign with a predefined set of weapons? i.e. just so that you have everything available in the weapons shop directly for example.

P.S.: I see the repair gun now. I was playing the non-DLC version before. I just had to verify the files of the DLC pack with Desura to fix it. :)
(At first I thought I would have to replay through the whole campaign to unlock all the weapons... Although I probably still do just to re-unlock first-person mode. ^^)

necrodoom
09-24-2012, 06:50 AM
What did you change apart from the note saying that the MIRV is supposed to be disabled?

Is there an easy way to start a campaign with a predefined set of weapons? i.e. just so that you have everything available in the weapons shop directly for example.

P.S.: I see the repair gun now. I was playing the non-DLC version before. I just had to verify the files of the DLC pack with Desura to fix it. :)
(At first I thought I would have to replay through the whole campaign to unlock all the weapons... Although I probably still do just to re-unlock first-person mode. ^^)
finished map 4, removed MIRV of all maps, added item terminal to all maps. next version will have an armory, so you can get weapons.

necrodoom
09-24-2012, 10:34 AM
NEW UPDATE:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7cs5pm51pm5aig7

adds armory, fixes 4th map.

@kiaaze try test on easy difficulty, not sure if editor respects the settings on profile for difficulty. any idea, motor?

KIAaze
09-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I was just going to post about an inaccessible terminal in trench warfare due to small roadblocks. Does that fix it then? :)

edit: Ok, I see. It does fix the roadblock problem.
The armory map is a great idea! :)
But why did you leave out the avanced beam cannon, the repair gun and the booster? Is that on purpose?

Also should I consider all portals invincible?

necrodoom
09-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I was just going to post about an inaccessible terminal in trench warfare due to small roadblocks. Does that fix it then? :)

edit: Ok, I see. It does fix the roadblock problem.
The armory map is a great idea! :)
But why did you leave out the avanced beam cannon, the repair gun and the booster? Is that on purpose?

Also should I consider all portals invincible?

repair gun should be only accessable from "be the boss", booster and advanced beam cannon arent accessable yet.
as for portals, only encounter 6 (where you have the terminal that actives 3 portals), encounter 8 portal shouldnt be considered invisible (the one near checkpoint portal), as it actives the forcefields.

necrodoom
09-25-2012, 04:24 AM
NEW UPDATE: http://www.mediafire.com/?c63d92d2t1l9o32

adds first part of self destruct!

necrodoom
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
NEW UPDATE: http://www.mediafire.com/?oeak552wfu1dewi

finishes self destruct (still needs testing)

necrodoom
09-26-2012, 04:12 AM
NEW UPDATE: http://www.mediafire.com/?zeaiw5b690s9108

various fixes to maps, self destruct is done!

Nifran
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Good campaign so far necrodoom - really enjoyed it. Hope you get to finish it. Everything worked for me found no obvious problems. I'm not one for doing reviews but the missions are different enough from the main game to be a good addition. Wish more had been tempted to create campaigns. A good simple to use editor with a good game and still nothing. Heres hoing the second games gets more interest.

necrodoom
10-11-2012, 06:59 AM
the next map is basically done, but im stuck due to the shader preventing AI moving though on the sslevel15 map, so i cant publish it. im not sure what to do, i cant find any other map that can support such gameplay without creating a custom map, which due to me having absolutely no knowledge of using it, along with no access to original maps data, wont be worth it.

soundcreepy
10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Hopefully your able to figure something out, played the latest beta and loved it :)

necrodoom
11-07-2012, 10:51 AM
still looking for a way to edit the map file.. custom map not going very well.

motorsep
11-07-2012, 10:57 AM
So what exactly do you need to be removed in that map ?

necrodoom
11-08-2012, 06:38 AM
So what exactly do you need to be removed in that map ?

the exact same thing as month ago, the shader that prevents AI from going though them, around base edges, seems made to prevent spawn camping by enemies and boss exiting map.
you said i should look for the console command that dumps entities to a file.

motorsep
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NgnZG.jpg

What exactly you need to remove?

The orange isn't removable as it's an edge of the map. I can unblock the fenced areas in the center of the map though (pinkish blocks in the passages).

necrodoom
11-09-2012, 05:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NgnZG.jpg

What exactly you need to remove?

The orange isn't removable as it's an edge of the map. I can unblock the fenced areas in the center of the map though (pinkish blocks in the passages).
the pink areas look exactly like the shader you were talking about, blocking the AI. these are the ones i need gone.
thanks very much for the help!

motorsep
11-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Done. Sent you download link via pm.

necrodoom
11-09-2012, 11:13 AM
thanks alot motorsep! map edit working great! refining last stand and going to publish it, hopefully next hour or so.

motorsep
11-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Cool stuff! Do you think whole package is ready to be published? (meaning has no show stopper bugs and whole campaign is passable)

necrodoom
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Cool stuff! Do you think whole package is ready to be published? (meaning has no show stopper bugs and whole campaign is passable)

need to fix objective order in some maps, and also planning to release the end map, "and hell followed" before going prerelease on this. also need to fix some problems due to carrier collision (too fat to fit though the base entrances, it seems)

motorsep
11-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Gotcha. Keep me posted, I'd like to release you campaign officially as you put so much work into it :)

necrodoom
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM
much more issues than i expected...
- some objectives dont trigger properly - fixed
- allys too weak - hopefully fixed
- carriers and destroyers not being able to move properly though entrance, blocking it on death and not being targeted by ally - fixed
- rewrite end portal scene - fixed
- wave 3 getting stuck - fixed
- minor objective ordering error - fixed
- fix directions of objectives according to map - fixed
- enemy not aggressive enough, not refollowing path after player/ally dead, and heading toward the core - seems to happen when going from side rooms to middle, path is lost for some reason
il fix some of these and release another beta.

motorsep
11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Only mobile troops can be lowered / raised on lifts, not turrets / portal.

necrodoom
11-10-2012, 02:40 AM
NEW UPDATE: http://www.mediafire.com/?fqcku30f6nhud0p
releases last stand! also patches to trench warfare.
note the readme.txt update, install instructions changed!

necrodoom
11-11-2012, 07:32 AM
NEW UPDATE: http://www.mediafire.com/?6e8ymj46zjb0raj
removes debug off last stand and adds a teaser of "and hell followed"!

necrodoom
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
some screenshots of my favorite parts of campaign: http://www.mediafire.com/?iilr1jaxqnb3ffl

motorsep
11-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Cool stuff necrodoom and great job! I posted announcement and tweeted yesterday, but haven't heard anything back :/

necrodoom
11-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Cool stuff necrodoom and great job! I posted announcement and tweeted yesterday, but haven't heard anything back :/

according to mediafire, after you posted annoucement, 9 new downloads came, making it beat the downloads of the previous beta that lasted a month, so id say it was pretty effective.

motorsep
11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
ahh, sweet!

necrodoom
11-13-2012, 07:59 AM
NEW UPDATE! http://www.mediafire.com/?bzvud9wurp9j42k
adds 3 new encounters on "and hell followed"!

some odd bug, though:
it appears that for some reason, an ally appears at the end of the bridge, following path 3, but i cant find him on the editor. ive locked with with forcefields for now, but i dont know how to remove it.

necrodoom
11-16-2012, 01:21 AM
NEW UPDATE! http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dot871e9cm3lt83
fixes an error in "be the boss" and ends everything but the grand encounter on "and hell followed"
stay tuned for the final release!

still having the bug from beta 3, motorsep, you know?

motorsep
11-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Cool stuff. I am sorry, I don't have time to play it anymore - pressing for Steel Storm 2 crowdfunding campaign currently, only 3 weeks left.

How many more people downloaded it?

necrodoom
11-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Cool stuff. I am sorry, I don't have time to play it anymore - pressing for Steel Storm 2 crowdfunding campaign currently, only 3 weeks left.

How many more people downloaded it?

off mediafire:
BETA 1- 10 downloads
BETA 2- 9 downloads
BETA 3- 5 downloads
BETA 4- 0 downloads

necrodoom
11-16-2012, 11:13 AM
NEW UPDATE! http://www.mediafire.com/?r2d4yybpa2etc5d

finishes "and hell followed"!
campaign now enters prerelease!

KNOWN BUGS: [MINOR] unknown ally entity spawning at end of bridge of "and hell followed"

looking for someone to do coop with to make a run though the campaign.

motorsep
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Get with TheBombOCat, he knows a lot of folks. He might help spreading the word about new campaign.

necrodoom
11-18-2012, 05:47 AM
mhm, prerelease downloads at 0, il try to look hard to find loopholes and release a prerelease 2, which would function as first full release.

necrodoom
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
NEW UPDATE! http://www.mediafire.com/?gdehlmotua74qiu

various fixes at different parts of campaign

necrodoom
11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
NEW UPDATE! http://www.mediafire.com/?ovb3r09373g78z2

briefing changes

Nifran
01-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the campaign Necro have really enjoyed playing it :) On the ally spawn issue maybe check the allies where they are spawning as I've seen this happen with enemy units if they spawn too close to an object they get pushed to sometimes the otherside of the map.

Only found this out when i happened to be close enough to see a turret spawn then go flying above my head and come to land on the otherside of the bridge. This was in my campaign. Repositioned it slightly away from a road block item and it works correctly now.

necrodoom
01-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the campaign Necro have really enjoyed playing it :) On the ally spawn issue maybe check the allies where they are spawning as I've seen this happen with enemy units if they spawn too close to an object they get pushed to sometimes the otherside of the map.

Only found this out when i happened to be close enough to see a turret spawn then go flying above my head and come to land on the otherside of the bridge. This was in my campaign. Repositioned it slightly away from a road block item and it works correctly now.
thank you! il look into that.

motorsep
01-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Is the mission pack ready to go public?

necrodoom
01-25-2013, 05:01 AM
except that ally spawn i am still unable to figure out, it looks like it is.

motorsep
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Alright, it's public now :) You should get an update automatically.

necrodoom
02-05-2013, 07:16 AM
:D
lets rock steel storm!

Nifran
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I'll give it a test come the weekend - enjoyed it on other play throughs so dont expect any less this time:)