PDA

View Full Version : Best Weapon in exchange for polar star

GSkyflakes
12-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I just read the wiki after having beat curly whether or not i should trade the polar star for the machine gun and found out i can trade it for either the snake or the spur later on.

i was just wondering what the cave story veterans have to say, which one did you pick? and which one would you definitely recommend for a newbie :confused:

CtrlAltDestroy
12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
For a newbie, I'd definitely say the Machine Gun, simply because it lets you fly when you're fully leveled up, which makes much of the platforming sections much, much easier. You can also get an upgrade for it that lets it recharge much faster, so its flight potential becomes ridiculous.

When you're ready to do a second run, try the Spur. It's the only weapon that doesn't level down, and it puts out some serious damage.

careface312
12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Machine gun is my favourite by far. Makes the game easier by pretty much bypassing the platforming but it's just straight up fun.

shadowray7
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Veterans will say Spur an a few of them will argue the Snake as well. Not a lot will say Machine Gun unless you're starting out for the fist time.

psyko12
12-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Well personally liked the snake's attribute but spur pwns all lol idk I just like how the laser 1 hits some of mobs when fully charged.

Jderz
12-19-2011, 07:52 PM
I couldn't get through hardmode without the snake. Core is just a huge PITA without it.

hawkshadow741
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Polar Star: 4 Damage per shot at level 3
Machine Gun: 6 damage per shot at level 3 and allows you to fly
Snake: 8 Damage, goes through walls, long range
Spur: 50-100 damage at max charge, long range

I'm glad there's three save slots, so now I have a Snake, Spur and Machine Gun save game

astroblack
12-20-2011, 12:35 PM
It sounds like I should also take the Machine Gun. I got Cave Story+ with the HIB and have been playing it almost non stop.
I took the machine gun (hadn't saved yet) and then decided to look up what other weapons were available. So I noticed that you need the Polar Star to obtain some of them so I decided to close the game, refight Curly & not trade for the MG.
I've been able to get all the dogs and should be on my way to the warehouse. It sounds like people are recommending it for first timers so I'll probably trade it & next playthrough I'll keep the Polar Star.

AgainstYT
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Machine gun is good for speed runs because it allows you to fly. Snake is best for Hell speed runs because it lets you shoot through walls. Spur is a weapon for wimps. The Nemesis can compensate for the weak firepower of the other weapons.

hawkshadow741
12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Machine gun is good for speed runs because it allows you to fly. Snake is best for Hell speed runs because it lets you shoot through walls. Spur is a weapon for wimps. The Nemesis can compensate for the weak firepower of the other weapons.

Spur is for patient vets of the game

celestialokami
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Spur is for patient vets of the game

For Hell runs, Snake is the best. Spur isn't really better than the Nemesis for damage and against bosses you use Super Missiles anyway.

hawkshadow741
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
For Hell runs, Snake is the best. Spur isn't really better than the Nemesis for damage and against bosses you use Super Missiles anyway.

to be honest, I'd also think Machine Gun is good for Hell due to the fact it lets you fly

granted you have to stay alive long enough to level it up and you'd have to keep pressing the firing button so Curly would shoot too...

Boyzby
12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
to be honest, I'd also think Machine Gun is good for Hell due to the fact it lets you fly

You have a Booster 2.0 in Hell, so that argument is poor.

hawkshadow741
12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
You have a Booster 2.0 in Hell, so that argument is poor.

with a terribly limited flight time

AgainstYT
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
with a terribly limited flight time

But you lose all your weapon power at the start of Hell, so the part where flying would be useful (the first part), you can't use flying since you need to be at level 3. For the rest of the level flying isn't that useful, and the machine gun is weak, so I say it's the worst choice for Hell. Snake + Missiles + Nemesis is still the best weapon combo for Hell runs.