PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems

crunchyfrog555
12-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Bought the game today in the sale.

I'm having trouble hearing all sounds though, as if some channels may be "missing" - the occasional bit of speech, and always the music that accompanies the things such as claiming mental baggage.
Because of this also the remaining sounds are a little unbalanced and I've had to tweak the settings a little to stop speech being drowned out by the background music.

My specs are: Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Home Edition
Intel T3300 Celeron dual core @ 2GHz
ATI Mobility HD545v chipset
4Gb RAM
Realtek HD audio chipset
AVG antivirus
Comodo firewall
Spybot S&D

Not breaking, but it is frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReverendTed
12-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Makes me wonder if it's a 5.1 issue, but what I usually notice there is playing a 5.1 game over a stereo headset will drop the center channel. What's your audio\speaker setup?

crunchyfrog555
12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Makes me wonder if it's a 5.1 issue, but what I usually notice there is playing a 5.1 game over a stereo headset will drop the center channel. What's your audio\speaker setup?

Just the standard laptop internal speakers. I not sure it even has a surround capability.

I did try the trick of changing the OPENAL32.dll file from Windows\System folder to no avail.

graspee
12-21-2011, 01:15 AM
I have sound problems in the game too. It seemed ok during most of the first cinematic but then towards the end of it, I started to get sound popping every so often, skipping slightly and so on. It's kind of like a scratched up cd.

cool_boy_mew
12-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I have that problem too

freddypad
12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I had that sound popping issue as well and just solved it.
The problem is caused by a very old version of the OpenAL32.dll that comes with Psychonauts. You need to update this file.

1. get the most recent version of the OpenAL files from Creative. I just searched for "OpenAL" with google.
2. Install OpenAL. It will copy the newest version of OpenAL32.dll to your Windows\System32 directory.
3. rename the OpenAL32.dll in your Psychonauts directory to something different (for example _OpenAL32.dll.bak)
4. copy the OpenAL32.dll from your Windows\system32 directory into your Psychonauts folder. Perhaps this step isn't really necessary, but I did it this way.

Enjoy the game without that really annoying popping sound bug! :-)

graspee
12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I meant to post back here actually, because the second time I ran the game the sound problem magically had vanished and all seems well now...

BasketCaseOIC
12-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Copying the OpenAL file from the system32 folder IS a necessary step.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148655

crunchyfrog555
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Copying the OpenAL file from the system32 folder IS a necessary step.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148655

Just to clarify, that isn't MY problem (as I clearly said that's one of the first steps I tried).

So, for yourself and all others that find that useful, good, just as long as this thread doesn't get confused or derailed.

So, please I still ask if anybody has any ideas?

DFNathan
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
So, please I still ask if anybody has any ideas?
My first guess is that it's because of 5.1 and that the center channel is not playing or is playing at a super low volume. Can you force your system/OS into stereo sound mode? Or maybe plug in headphones and output through that instead of the speakers? Basically, I suspect there is a bug specific to 5.1 output on your system but I want to make sure that's the case and not a broader issue with the game and your audio software/hardware stack.

crunchyfrog555
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
My first guess is that it's because of 5.1 and that the center channel is not playing or is playing at a super low volume. Can you force your system/OS into stereo sound mode? Or maybe plug in headphones and output through that instead of the speakers? Basically, I suspect there is a bug specific to 5.1 output on your system but I want to make sure that's the case and not a broader issue with the game and your audio software/hardware stack.

It doesn't have 5.1 capability and all other games (well, the 80 or so I've played in the last few days) work fine.

Or rather I should say, it doesn't have 5.1 connectability. The device manager states all channels are as they should be (full) where mentioned, but it is in stereo mode.

DFNathan
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Ok. I confused your original post with another issue.

I'm pretty close to out of ideas, but will check with other folks and get back to you (probably after the hols).

As a last idea, make sure you're not using/forcing EAX (which has always been flakey) and try to make your sound card settings as simple/vanilla as possible.

crunchyfrog555
12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Ok. I confused your original post with another issue.

I'm pretty close to out of ideas, but will check with other folks and get back to you (probably after the hols).

As a last idea, make sure you're not using/forcing EAX (which has always been flakey) and try to make your sound card settings as simple/vanilla as possible.

Ah, no problem, I certainly appreciate the help.

I will certainly try forcing EAX, thank you.

And sincere thanks if you give this any further thought too. If I don't speak to you before, have a good Christmas!

ttdm
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Can anyone recommend a solution for mac?

DFNathan
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Can anyone recommend a solution for mac?

The Mac issues are a side effect of the new native Mac version. There's nothing you can do to fix it (that I know of) but we're working on it now and will keep posting updates until this issue and others are resolved.