PDA

View Full Version : Ugh My Ears

Frywalker
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
So I decided to play a bit of Cave Story+ today and for some reason the music defaulted to a new "Remastered" version. I played about 30 seconds before I had to switch back to "new." Anyone else not like the "Remastered" version?

Also a while back, I got Cave Story for my brother on the 3DS and the graphics were completely redone. Why cant we get "Remastered" graphics, too?

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/116/1164732/cave-story-3d-20110428012355100_640w.jpg

Skorpan
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, I'd argue that the "new" music is the worst of them all. Use "old" instead. Same for graphics. The game is supposed to have charming pixel graphics, not that ♥♥♥♥ty "remastered" generic look. Even "new" on graphics looks absolutely awful, like a poorly made fan-made game. Everything should be played as Pixel himself made it in my opinion. Nicalis just bloated the game so they could put a "+" on the name and make money off of someone else's creation. Although I'm happy to see it on steam, I just think it's pretty dirty and I wonder if Pixel actually approved of it or not?

Frywalker
12-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, I'd argue that the "new" music is the worst of them all. Use "old" instead. Same for graphics. The game is supposed to have charming pixel graphics, not that ♥♥♥♥ty "remastered" generic look. Even "new" on graphics looks absolutely awful, like a poorly made fan-made game. Everything should be played as Pixel himself made it in my opinion. Nicalis just bloated the game so they could put a "+" on the name and make money off of someone else's creation. Although I'm happy to see it on steam, I just think it's pretty dirty and I wonder if Pixel actually approved of it or not?

Well, sadly, something is bugged on mine so when I choose "Old" graphics it stays "New"

Lokwassen
12-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I liked it. Started a new hard game so I can listen to the remastered version from the beginning.
Btw, in hard mode, am I playing as a different character? He's blonde and slightly tanned. wtf? At least put his hair up so he can be super saiyan.

Axelhander
12-21-2011, 09:24 PM

This post is really, really dumb for a lot of very justified reasons.

Use "old" for everything because apparently, you can divine Pixel's intent, and that intent (that you've divined using non-existent psychic powers, mind you) is for all remakes and enhanced versions of his game to look, sound, and play like the original.

Not to mention you couldn't justify why any of the new options look/sound awful if your life depended on it, but if I'm wrong here, please present your reasoning.
________

Anywho, to anyone and everyone with a problem with the new/remastered stuff; switch it to what you want, as that's what options are for. But please don't wax poetic about how the old look is automatically better by virtue of being "pristine" or some other nonsense.

Rainbow Dash
12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm listening to the remastered soundtrack on itunes right now. I can't play with it right now because I'm on OSX at the moment.

I'm liking what I hear.

Boyzby
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Personally, the "Remastered" is better than the new because it sounds somewhat like the original music and not... whatever it is. Original all the way for me.

kwikshot
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
"New" is my favourite, I love the ambient tracks, they're very clean and nice!

Axelhander
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
"New" is my favourite, I love the ambient tracks, they're very clean and nice!

I enjoyed New when I played it on my Wii, or at least after the patch that fixed the music. :)

Mega Mettaur X
12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
So I decided to play a bit of Cave Story+ today and for some reason the music defaulted to a new "Remastered" version. I played about 30 seconds before I had to switch back to "new." Anyone else not like the "Remastered" version?

Also a while back, I got Cave Story for my brother on the 3DS and the graphics were completely redone. Why cant we get "Remastered" graphics, too?

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/116/1164732/cave-story-3d-20110428012355100_640w.jpg

To be honest, that 3D conversion almost ruins the game. Trying to beat Hell on the 3DS is so annoying. Jumps have become so much harder to judge because of the really bad zoom effects. I honestly don't understand why they couldn't have just kept it 2D, and actually add decent stuff to the game, or just waiting and developing a prequel story or sequel story instead of trying to get that extra buck from this title.

bobbalas
12-23-2011, 05:34 AM

First off Pixel sold the Cave Story license but apparently he still gets money from sales for the games, you'd have to be ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ to think that Pixel should have a say in what the game is doing after he decided to sell it anyway. Secondly, I'm not a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ hipster like yourself, "8-bit" graphics are fine, when it's the hardware limitation they hold back the art capabilities of the game but they still tried to make it as detailed as possible by using certain tricks. Then the SNES/Sega Genesis came along and graphics were much better, so much more detail as added in to sprites and they looked fantastic when effort was put into them. Now that they had the chance they gave Cave Story a very nice new sprite set, there's actually detail now and it looks fantastic, "retro" graphics are just an excuse to use bad graphics either because they aren't able to do it (not enough people/time/skill to do so, probably the situation Pixel was in given that he did it in his spare time) or them being too lazy to make decent sprites (e.g. Minecraft).

Tl;dr, Sane people would take the new sprite option and hipsters would take the old sprite option, same goes for music.

Weeeooojr
12-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I liked it. Started a new hard game so I can listen to the remastered version from the beginning.
Btw, in hard mode, am I playing as a different character? He's blonde and slightly tanned. wtf? At least put his hair up so he can be super saiyan.

lol. Super saiyan Quote = win

Axelhander
12-23-2011, 08:16 AM
*snip*

To be fair, Cave Story is supposed to have a retro look and feel. I wouldn't put his post on blast for liking that; I'd put his post on blast for slamming the new graphics and music while providing zero credible reasoning for why it's either bad or inferior to the original.

PanStrife
12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
The first few seconds of "Onto Grasstown" kills me on the remixed version (not remastered). Not because its remixed but the beeping sound gets really loud and makes my ears hurt and I get like, a headache soon after when I keep hearing it. XD

madmarten
12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
New graphics + old music. The only sane choice.

Aleth3ia
12-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Just for information, the Remastered Sountrack is the 3DS version soundtrack.

You want redone 3D graphics for you CS+, but don't want the redone music ? What's your problem ? Never happy ?

Vappy
12-23-2011, 04:06 PM

This all the time.

Axelhander
12-24-2011, 12:53 AM

The old music is grating in its overbearing chiptune-iness.

Yeah I said it.

One exception: the very first boss theme (used by Balrog, the first form of the true final boss, and various other bosses). That theme is way better on Original.

Nerfed
12-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Am I really the only sane(ish) person in the world who likes all graphics and music settings?

Aleth3ia
12-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Am I really the only sane(ish) person in the world who likes all graphics and music settings?

I do, too.

ChillaxestUser
12-25-2011, 12:37 AM
This is exactly how I feel. All of the music and graphics options are great.
The only time I've really hated anything in any version of Cave Story was the early WiiWare version's music, which was basically really horrible low quality midi sounding versions of "New".

KasukeSadiki
12-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I like the new music a lot. Currently trying to beat hell and using the remastered music. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I don't hate it.

The old graphics have their charm but the new ones keep that charm while being slightly more pleasing to look at. The 3DS graphics on the other hand...ugh

Rainbow Dash
12-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I like the new music a lot. Currently trying to beat hell and using the remastered music. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I don't hate it.

The old graphics have their charm but the new ones keep that charm while being slightly more pleasing to look at. The 3DS graphics on the other hand...ugh

It's hard to translate a game to 3D properly while keeping the aesthetic of the original.

JoeB
12-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Not to mention you couldn't justify why any of the new options look/sound awful if your life depended on it, but if I'm wrong here, please present your reasoning.

From the sounds of it, he can't justify why the new options look and sound awful because he's just another person stating his own personal opinions as facts and trying to represent everyone else with them. In my case, I actually enjoyed the new look/feel a whole lot. It really makes the game feel fresh again (I also have the 3DS version which takes it a step further using the 3D effects). Not to mention the annoyance of my screen resolution re-sizing to something ridiculously small in the original version is also gone.

Tl;dr, Sane people would take the new sprite option and hipsters would take the old sprite option, same goes for music.
I read your entire post but I'll quote your tl:dr for the sake of space. Yes, the old style graphics were originally there due to hardware limitations. I'm sure graphic artists would have wanted much more detail in place if it was possible. However, there seem to be many people that really LIKE this style of art (although I guess it comes across as extreme to both brand them as "hipsters" and likewise, to not be open to newer graphic styles in games as well). Whether it be nostalgia or just the way it looks. The games were also much simpler to pick up and play to the point where even a very small child could learn them quickly. Nowadays, even kids games have much more complexity to them.