PDA

View Full Version : Rest of the game looks fine, but some cut-scenes are low quality?

blisterbrown
12-21-2011, 07:18 PM
The game runs smoothly and looks great most of the time, but any time I get to a cut scene that isn't in-game rendered, the quality is ♥♥♥. They just look awful for some reason. Help?

pokemon21
12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
the game is like that

stevethepocket
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
The game is from 2004; they had to make them low-quality in order to fit on the CD-ROMs they used back then. They'd have to re-render the scenes at modern resolutions and patch those into the game.

DFNathan
12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
stevethepocket speaks the truth. When the rights to Pnauts reverted to us and we decided to release a big update, we looked into packaging HD cutscenes. Unfortunately the originals were rendered in SD not HD and much of the original assets/pipeline are lost to time. It would also have added several GB to the game download. In short, we'd love to address it, but the investment (esp in code archeology) was too great.

kn00tcn
12-22-2011, 02:18 AM
nathan, you should i guess contact valve to make your account display as a devloper instead of a regular user

Gordon Nukem
12-22-2011, 09:19 AM
nathan, you should i guess contact valve to make your account display as a devloper instead of a regular userYeah, I was about to say this too.

Also, Nathan, do you think it's possible you guys will try to have the cutscenes, HUD, and whatnot be fixed to the default 4:3 aspect ratio? I play 16:9 fullscreen and all of that stuff looks funky and out of place stretched out.

DFNathan
12-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact valve and get the tag updated.

The cutscenes could probably be aspect ratio fixed without too much fuss (they would get side letterboxes). HUD is much trickier since it requires pretty major updates to all of the UI code and let me tell you, that code is ancient and complex and gross and not for the faint of heart (it was all written in lua back in the day). It's definitely something that would be good to fix due to modern 16:9 displays, but we have so much on our plate I'm honestly not sure if/when we'll be able to get to that stuff. Will keep you posted, though :)

Gordon Nukem
12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
The cutscenes could probably be aspect ratio fixed without too much fuss (they would get side letterboxes).
Ah, well that's definitely the most noticeable stretching. So even if it takes you a long time/never to fix the HUD, it would be much appreciated to at least letterbox the cutscenes. The HUD is more tolerable (though it would still be nice to see everything normal)... but seeing characters as wide as a whale during cutscenes is the most awkward :p.

Duane Dibbley
12-22-2011, 09:43 AM
The cutscenes could probably be aspect ratio fixed without too much fuss (they would get side letterboxes). HUD is much trickier since it requires pretty major updates to all of the UI code and let me tell you, that code is ancient and complex and gross and not for the faint of heart (it was all written in lua back in the day). It's definitely something that would be good to fix due to modern 16:9 displays, but we have so much on our plate I'm honestly not sure if/when we'll be able to get to that stuff. Will keep you posted, though :)
I'll second this request. If nothing else, fixing the cutscene aspect ratio would be wonderful. I run the game at 16:10, and it bugs the heck out of me to have the cutscenes stretched out. The HUD, while mildly annoying, I can live with.

dwn
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately the originals were rendered in SD not HD and much of the original assets/pipeline are lost to time.And that's why one should always add everything, all raw graphical stuff pipeline/build scripts/etc to the VCS. ;)

and let me tell you, that code is ancient and complex and gross and not for the faint of heart (it was all written in lua back in the day).Could be from the last-minute development style as indicated from the documentary on Double Fine: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAF1E044A2E683B2E (SCNR, just waited for an opportunity to post a link to this)

Swixel
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
And that's why one should always add everything, all raw graphical stuff pipeline/build scripts/etc to the VCS. ;)

In 2004, reliable storage was still hugely expensive ;)

I don't mind missing cutscenes, I'm just glad the game plays and runs nicely.

Not sure I've said it before, but thank you, Double Fine, for the update :)

DFNathan
12-22-2011, 04:50 PM
And that's why one should always add everything, all raw graphical stuff pipeline/build scripts/etc to the VCS.

Could be from the last-minute development style as indicated from the documentary on Double Fine

Yep. Correct on both accounts. Pnauts was our first game, things were chaotic on many fronts. We're much more careful about process and version control now, but sadly no way to go back in time and fix the past (well, not yet at least :)