PDA

View Full Version : Great introduction to roguelikes

Matt91
12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I hadn't even heard of this genre before and I'm still loving this game. Just played it for a few hours straight. So glad I took the plunge and bought it - it's fun and hilarious at the same.

The idea of perma-death was a little bit frightening at first but I actually think its better to have that option on. It makes your game decisions more meaningful and it also gives you a chance to try out new skills if you die lots :)

For those experienced in the roguelike genre, this is an excellent introduction isn't it?

thepaladin18
12-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes it is. You should try out some other roguelikes, too. Nethack, for example. It is free, and there are ports for various mobile devices (I play it on my android phone).

perato
12-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Well that's the reason I bought it. Thought 1e ain't too bad to try a totally different new genre. I've known these games for long but as text based they usually are, haven't caught my interest. Propably won't try those anyways, but maybe bying if there are more graphical like this.

Although feels like I need to ask a thousand questions even after 1 hour.

AFnord
12-21-2011, 10:19 PM
You really should try Dwarf fortress (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/). Get yourself a nice tileset (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0) if you dislike the ASCII characters. It offers not only one of the most deep & complex strategy portions of any game ever made, but it has a very good rogue like mode as well.

Dungeons of Dredmor is a great introduction to rouge likes, I won't deny that, and even as a person who has played a few rogue likes in my days, I think its a good game.

thepaladin18
12-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Well that's the reason I bought it. Thought 1e ain't too bad to try a totally different new genre. I've known these games for long but as text based they usually are, haven't caught my interest. Propably won't try those anyways, but maybe bying if there are more graphical like this.

Although feels like I need to ask a thousand questions even after 1 hour.

There are many tilesets for nethack.

tastylichen
12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Welcome to roguelike. And if you like this genre, there's one more thing I want to tell you: "I LOVE NETHACK AND YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY PLAY IT". As thepaladin18 mentioned, there are many tilesets available. They range from simple miniature tiles to highly graphical Vulture's Eye.