PDA

View Full Version : Steam authentication failed

kbe2k9
12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Really getting annoying, got this game while ago in that Humble bundle and it automatically entered the steam key which failed so I manually tried entering the MP key from the Humble page and it won't work.

Satoru
12-22-2011, 10:18 AM
You need to be clear. Is the humble bundle key itself not working? Or is it the multiplayer key. they are separate things. the former adds the humble bundle games into your Steam library. The latter allows you to play multiplayer online.

So first is the game in your library

Second is the error you get when you launch the game?

As with all things trying to verify your game cache is a good place to start.

Roggan29
12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Same for me.
Game is in the library.
When I started the game it says "Steam authentification failed".
Then I entered the Humble Bundle Multiplayer key manually and I still get this message.

EDIT:
"Change user" on steam and re-login solved the problem for me

bgrunge
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
The only thing missing is a "HAHAHA we took your money, suckers" message.

TheInsaneDump
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
My Steam authentication fails as well and it forces me to play in DEMO mode.

Edit - Nevermind, it just randomly worked. Tried to run tutorial...crash.

Got the achievement. Started a new game by myself. Placed launchers, converted them to nuke launchers, and just launched on all the cities Santa was going to. I got him. Not very difficult.

I got coal :).

Satoru
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
The tutorial is buggy for some reason after the latest update. But the main game is resonably ok-ish :P

bgrunge
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
The tutorial is buggy for some reason after the latest update. But the main game is resonably ok-ish :P

No, it isn't. If you click "New Game", nothing will happen, even on the rare occasions when it says your key was validated successfully.

kbe2k9
12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I got it to work after a couple tries though no list of games would come up so I just did a match against the cpu for the achievement.

banjo2E
12-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, Steam authentication is a bit glitchy. I think it's because Steam's servers are getting hammered; it worked just fine a month ago when I got Defcon.

In my case, I left the "Authentication failed" dialog box open for a few seconds, and it magically changed to "Authentication success".