PDA

View Full Version : Steam Authentication Failed - Use Demo Instead?

XQlusiveD
12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I just bought the Introversion Complete Pack, on Steam, a couple of minutes ago. I installed DEFCON because I wanted to complete the achievement.

Inside the game it says, Steam Authentication Failed - go play the Demo instead. There is no CD-Key or anything with the purchase to enter anywhere. BUY NOW screens are flying passed your head, I'm thinking; I JUST DID!?

What is the course of action now? Wait? Send a Ticket?
Is it possible to acquire the Achievement in the Demo version of the game?

Regards with Thanks.

V6th
12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Restart steam if you haven't. Check your email if the receipt hasn't come for some reason. Steam reinstallation is an option, but shouldn't be necessary. You might want to also try deleting the game (folder and all) and redownloading.

If all else fails contact support.

urbanriot
12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Yea, also having this problem... just loaded it to take a break during lunch and now I'm told I don't own the game I payed for. This is when DRM hurts the customer and it may have been better off to crack it.

bgrunge
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
no, the devs are just incompetent criminals.

Sly_Squash
never mind.

BrewNinja
I reloaded the game a couple of times and it started working for me.

Out Reach
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
This "error" has been around for months. Now that's it's a major part of the Christmas sale Event, maybe someone @ introversion will actually notice and fix this.

So go. Complain. Tell everyone, it's ridiculous.

urbanriot
12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I reloaded the game a couple of times and it started working for me.

I reloaded the game a couple of times and it now authenticates after it fails... so "Steam authentication: failed" then a few minutes later, "Steam authentication: success".

I didn't realize this was a game that required continual internet access to play the full version...

bgrunge
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
it doesnt even matter if it does say success, it still wont start a new game. You, me, and every other sorry person to buy this game has been hoodwinked.

Satoru
12-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I reloaded the game a couple of times and it now authenticates after it fails... so "Steam authentication: failed" then a few minutes later, "Steam authentication: success".

I didn't realize this was a game that required continual internet access to play the full version...

It's only needed for multiplayer. You can play singleplayer without issue.

bgrunge
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM

No, you can't. I click "new game", nothing happens. This POS is a non-functioning lemon product.

Heavenw00t
12-22-2011, 12:00 PM

There is no singleplayer.

urbanriot
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM

... play against AI. You can still get the achievement that way.

BobtheGoatKpr
12-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I tried the demo, but Santa never appeared.

Satoru
12-22-2011, 12:05 PM

You just add AI opponents instead of human ones. Kind of like playing Payday with AI partners.

Satoru
12-22-2011, 12:13 PM
For people having issue go into

c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\defcon

Delete the file
authkey

Launch the game. It will say the whole 'play the demo thing' DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING just yet. Just wait 1 minute and the window will change to the success status instead.

You only need to get this to work once. Then the authkey is updated and you can play offline and such as well, or even if the Steam Authentication goes to hell in a handbasket again. Note the authkey is only needed to play online. You can do 'singleplayer' by playing against the AI instead of waiting for human players.

bgrunge
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
For people having issue go into

c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\defcon

Delete the file
authkey

Launch the game. It will say the whole 'play the demo thing' DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING just yet. Just wait 1 minute and the window will change to the success status instead.

You only need to get this to work once. Then the authkey is updated and you can play offline and such as well, or even if the Steam Authentication goes to hell in a handbasket again. Note the authkey is only needed to play online. You can do 'singleplayer' by playing against the AI instead of waiting for human players.

nope, tried that. clicking "new game" still does NOTHING. Perhaps that fixes the authorization thing, but a new game will still not start. Enjoy a non-functioning chat window.

breadtruck
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Sure there is, thats how I got mine.

You add AI players and close out the searching for real players icon.

I tried the demo, but Santa never appeared.

Did you change your system clock? I dont know if its absolutely necessary, but I changed my PC date to the 24th. http://steamtreasurehunt.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Objectives

Satoru
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
You don't need to change the system clock. I've seen santa appear at defcon 1 today. I missed him though :(

Luckz
12-22-2011, 02:57 PM
For me pressing shift-tab to open the Steam overlay fixed it.