PDA

View Full Version : HL2:ep1&2 errors and freezing

rapidl0st
12-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Everything works fine except that they do 5-10sec. freezes every minute or so, tried defragmenting whole computer dozen of times, all drives, updated drivers and roamed the forums, nothing anywhere, games are unplayable.

Help me! :(

Havoc_53
12-23-2011, 05:45 AM
It would help if you posted your specs.

rapidl0st
12-23-2011, 06:07 AM
It would help if you posted your specs.

Specs? Sorry but I'm a dummy when it comes to computers, I've never had a computer that would be 100% mine so I havent taken interest in computers.

On Edit: You mean these?

Microsoft windows XP professional.
AMD athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640, MMX, 3DNow, ~2,6GHz
3072Mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (Integrated RAMDAC if it helps)
SoundMAX HD Audio
DirectX 9.0c

Got these off dxdiag

rapidl0st
12-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Uninstalled everything with anything to do with Steam, reinstalled only episode 1, problem still persists, nothing wrong, just freezes. My console also full of these. It doesnt have caption for anything and gives all other errors too..

Requesting texture value from var "$hdrbasetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_ep01_00_hdrrt)
Requesting texture value from var "$hdrbasetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_ep01_00_hdrbk)
Requesting texture value from var "$hdrbasetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_ep01_00_hdrlf)
Requesting texture value from var "$hdrbasetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_ep01_00_hdrft)
Requesting texture value from var "$hdrbasetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_ep01_00_hdrup)
Requesting texture value from var "$hdrbasetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_ep01_00_hdrdn)
Redownloading all lightmaps
No caption found for 'ep_01.gman_inhale'
VehicleType:class C_PropVehicleChoreoGeneric:
No caption found for 'weapon_physcannon.holdsound'
No caption found for 'default.scraperough'
No caption found for 'default.scraperough'
No caption found for 'boulder.scraperough'

Havoc_53
12-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Normally, I would suggest verifying the integrity of the game cache files, but I don't think that's the problem. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt, so start with that. If any of the files are corrupted, you'll get a notification. If that's the case, delete the local game content then restart Steam. Any corrupted files will be rebuilt.

There are other things you can try as well. You can delete the clientregistry.blob then restart Steam. If you have multi-core rendering enabled, disable it.

There may also be a conflict between your graphic card settings and the game video options. For example, your refresh rate might be incompatible with the innate refresh rate of the game. Often, the default setting for games is 60Hz.

rapidl0st
12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
None worked, still freezing. Refresh rate is 60Hz. No files are corrupted.

But I noticed that my Half-life 2: episode 1 folder is only 295Mb large, it installed all the larger files to my steamapps folder, those are:

episode 1 shared.gcf
episode one 2007 conter.gcf
episodic 2007 shared.gcf
half life 2 episode one.gcf
source 2007 binaries 2.gcf
source 2007 shared materials.gcf
source 2007 shared models.gcf
source 2007 shared sounds.gcf
source materials.gcf
source models.gcf
source sounds.gcf
sourceinit.gcf
winui.gcf

Also I got this idea of the files being in wrong place. I got C: and D:, my C: is only 30Gb large (25/30) so nothing fits there but my D: is nearly 300Gb large so I install everything there, the default where steam would be installed is C: but its in D: so is it possible that steam is looking for the files in the wrong place?

I'm starting to feel its hopeless. :(

Havoc_53
12-23-2011, 12:00 PM
It''s not hopeless, but there are all kind of things that can cause your problem. The one last suggestion I have for you is to make sure that you have the latest video drivers installed. After that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

rapidl0st
12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I have updated all my drivers with DriverScanner, and it said my drivers were literally ancient. But it increased my fps a little that wasn't even a problem, the freezes still go on.

I hope other players will start posting here too.

Havoc_53
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Can you post a pic of your in game video settings? Also, what resolution are you running?

rapidl0st
12-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Can you post a pic of your in game video settings? Also, what resolution are you running?

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/651000615287160310/E30DEB5B8D99FD618EBA0B0A4A3A939E24A832D6/

There's the setting and resolution, my desktop resolution is 1680x1050

I took the captions (subtitles) off, that removed the caption errors but not the freezes so thats not the problem. Also that means that the freezes give no errors(?) o_O

Havoc_53
12-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Okay, after this, I really am out of ideas, but try lowering your screen resolution using the in game settings. Lowering the resolution will often fix problems such as stuttering and freezing.

I have an older rig which wasn't really designed for gaming, but prior to the 2010 update, I used to be able to run HL2 at my full native resolution of 1280 x 1024 without hitching or freezes. The update created problems such as sluggishness and freezing. I solved the problem by reducing the resolution to 1024 x 768.

You should try this in steps. Go to the next lowest resolution and try playing. If the problem still persists repeat until game is playable. If this doesn't work then, like I said, I'm out of ideas.

BTW, Ep1 is not very popular; as evidenced by the sparsity of this sub forum. It's not very likely that anyone else will come forward and offer any suggestion. Sorry.

Leushenko
12-24-2011, 10:16 AM
my desktop resolution is 1680x1050

This one's a bit out there, but if your native resolution is 16:10, try picking a 16:10 resolution for Half-Life as well instead of a 4:3. If it doesn't offer it (and 1680x1050 is correct for your desktop) then something's definitely gone wrong somewhere.

Another long shot: I think that processor is single-core, yes? So it might help to ensure that everything is set to single-threaded mode (useful commands for that here (http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_8.html), not sure if this applies to pre-2007 though?).

You might also want to open up the Task Manager (or local equivalent for non-Windows) and see if any background processes are eating unreasonable amounts of CPU or memory.

Oh and do test with filtering turned down to bilinear, and/or HDR turned off. Usually this makes no difference, but it can sometimes.

rapidl0st
12-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Nothing helped, also getting this in console..

exec: couldn't exec userconfig.cfg
Host_WriteConfiguration: Wrote cfg/config.cfg

Damn valve and their games. Thank god I got them off christmas price cuts, otherwise I would be preetty pissed -.-

Havoc_53
12-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Okay, here's a list of things you can do. Some you already have, but a review couldn't hurt.

1. Update your video and sound card drivers.
2. If you're running at Dx 11, try lowering Dx level to 9,0c or 8,0.
3. Make sure the Dx drivers are up to date. (Don't know if that's automatic with video driver update.)
4. Disable all unnecessary background applications. You can find a support article for that in Steam Support.
5. If none of those work, try deleting the local game content and reinstalling the game.
6. If all else fails, take a sledgehammer to your computer. :o

rapidl0st
12-25-2011, 09:15 AM
I found the fix!! yayyy :D

Thanks for you guys for increasing my performance :cool:

"snd_async_fullyasync 1" into console, no freezes anymore, some sounds just bug but thats okay, it was 0 on default.

Found it on this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488143&page=2

Lets hope this lasts ;)

Havoc_53
12-25-2011, 09:28 AM
I found the fix!! yayyy :D

Thanks for you guys for increasing my performance :cool:

"snd_async_fullyasync 1" into console, no freezes anymore, some sounds just bug but thats okay, it was 0 on default.

Found it on this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488143&page=2

Lets hope this lasts ;)

Congratulations. Merry Christmas. :D

rapidl0st
12-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Congratulations. Merry Christmas. :D

Thanks, already finished ep1, that was short but intense, lets pray that the same trick bites to ep2.

Merry christmas to you too.