PDA

View Full Version : Patch to Fix "Favorites" Key Programming

SnowTiger61
12-23-2011, 06:34 AM
WHEN will we finally get a Patch to fix the most Basic of game controls such as the ability to Program Keys ?

I'm tired of trying to fight nasty battles and having to jump in and out of Inventories simply to get at Health Potions and Change Weapons etc.
One would think that since Custom Key Programming has been provided for countless games over the last 20 years, that providing this same basic ability would not be that difficult in 2011.
Surely a Patch should soon be available to fix this issue !!!??

Bathesda .... PLEASE resolve this issue (especially with regards to Favorite Key Programming) ASAP.
Furthermore, while the top row of keys (numbers) will be better than no controls, I prefer to be able to program my NUMBER KEYS as I was able to do so in Oblivion.

Please ... Hurry Up.
We're over a month into this game and I'm now at level 53 .... amazingly considering the issues !

DarkJeff
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
What?

You mark items/spells as Favorites (F by default), then pull them up in your Favorites menu (Q by default), and then you highlight the option and press a number key.

I think they even had a tutorial box pop up the first time you use it.

shady1202
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM
lol thread

Davesmason
12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Odd how nobody even READS those tutorial boxes. "Lol yeah I know how to play noobs"

3 hours later...

"WHY CANT U BIND STUFF I DUNT LIKE GOIN IN INVENTORY FUR HEALTH!"

Facepalm mode activated.

JKflipflop
12-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Odd how nobody even READS those tutorial boxes. "Lol yeah I know how to play noobs"

3 hours later...

"WHY CANT U BIND STUFF I DUNT LIKE GOIN IN INVENTORY FUR HEALTH!"

Facepalm mode activated.

People love to think they're a lot smarter than they really are.

DarkJeff
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
People love to think they're a lot smarter than they really are.
Major problem with government policies dictated by majority, right here.

SnowTiger61
12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe some of you ought to try reading yourselves.

I am one of Thousands who's game does not work properly.
Many of us using the PC version of Skyrim, DO NOT have the ability to use the F and Q keys for Favorites ... EVEN THOUGH the controls are shown at the bottom of the screen.
In other words, while the screen says to use "F" to create/save the Favorite and Q to bring up the Favorites Menu in gameplay, the keys don't work. They do absolutely NOTHING.

I have tried programming other keys in place of the default keys without success.
Furthermore, while the game also states to use the "F" Key to Name Enchanted Items that we create ... NOTHING HAPPENS when you use those keys or other programmed keys.

So have a look in these forums and you will find that I am not the only one with this issue. In fact, I am only one of Thousands waiting for a fix.
DORKS

squall_leonhart
12-23-2011, 10:09 PM
InterfaceHardCodedKeyTweaks (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88)

SnowTiger61
12-24-2011, 05:49 AM
I sincerely thank "squall_leonhart" for providing a link to a useful solution.

I haven't tried it yet but I surely will (I did download it).

I appreciate your help ... something I didn't get from anyone else.
But at the same time, it shows that I too could have done a bit more reading myself which might have helped me find these files sooner.

Thanks again friend.

gentlefury
12-24-2011, 07:34 AM
I sincerely thank "squall_leonhart" for providing a link to a useful solution.

I haven't tried it yet but I surely will (I did download it).

I appreciate your help ... something I didn't get from anyone else.
But at the same time, it shows that I too could have done a bit more reading myself which might have helped me find these files sooner.

Thanks again friend.

You did get a useful solution from the first response....you just were unwilling to accept it because it was too obvious and it made you look dumb.

GangusKahn
12-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Maybe some of you ought to try reading yourselves.

I am one of Thousands who's game does not work properly.
Many of us using the PC version of Skyrim, DO NOT have the ability to use the F and Q keys for Favorites ... EVEN THOUGH the controls are shown at the bottom of the screen.
In other words, while the screen says to use "F" to create/save the Favorite and Q to bring up the Favorites Menu in gameplay, the keys don't work. They do absolutely NOTHING.

I have tried programming other keys in place of the default keys without success.
Furthermore, while the game also states to use the "F" Key to Name Enchanted Items that we create ... NOTHING HAPPENS when you use those keys or other programmed keys.

So have a look in these forums and you will find that I am not the only one with this issue. In fact, I am only one of Thousands waiting for a fix.
DORKS

Err use the HELP menu. The tutoral shows the new keys if you mapped them to different ones..and der the number keys work for hotkeys...your parents must be proud.

SnowTiger61
12-26-2011, 06:00 AM
You did get a useful solution from the first response....you just were unwilling to accept it because it was too obvious and it made you look dumb.

gentlefury ... ur an errogant idiot.
The "F" and "Q" Keys don't do anything.
None of the Keys, regardless how their programmed, work as Favorite Keys.
That's why someone has taken the time and effort to create a fix.

So while in many cases it is true that people don't read or see the obvious ... this isn't one of them.
The inventory does show those keys as the one's to use ... but they DON"T WORK !!!!
Now shut the frig up.

squall_leonhart
12-26-2011, 08:14 AM
The Q key is always whatever you assign as the Favourites menu (though the game doesn't like assigning it to a mouse)
the Favouriting key is whatever you set the POV key in the key bindings (bethesda need to fix the hud to update the Legend when changing bindings)

midlifecr1515
12-26-2011, 08:18 AM
What?

You mark items/spells as Favorites (F by default), then pull them up in your Favorites menu (Q by default), and then you highlight the option and press a number key.

I think they even had a tutorial box pop up the first time you use it.

You obviously can't read or lack comprehension skills. He wants the ability to use ANY KEY HE CHOOSES, and not be restricted to 1-8 or whatever it is.
And I completely agree with OP. I for one would like to see the ability to insta-cast from any key binding I choose the spell or scroll I bind to that key. Rather than select first, than fire. It would definitely speed up the action of the game.

liho1eye
12-26-2011, 08:45 AM

So while in many cases it is true that people don't read or see the obvious ... this isn't one of them.
The inventory does show those keys as the one's to use ... but they DON"T WORK !!!!
Now shut the frig up.I initially had issues with favorites, but deleting the config file (after first patch) solved it for me without any mods.

That said Skyrim's UI is pretty horrid. I cannot blame people for getting lost in it. And those help boxes are really no excuse for poor usability.

gentlefury
12-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Now shut the frig up.

wtf are you talking about...go into inventory, press f to set a favorite, then in game press q to access favorites menu then press a number to set a hotkey...they do work for millions of people playing the game....if it doesn't work for you, you are either mentally handicapped or you changed something in the INI...since there is no setting for it IN THE GAME SETTINGS!!

squall_leonhart
12-26-2011, 09:56 AM
wtf are you talking about...go into inventory, press f to set a favorite, then in game press q to access favorites menu then press a number to set a hotkey...they do work for millions of people playing the game....if it doesn't work for you, you are either mentally handicapped or you changed something in the INI...since there is no setting for it IN THE GAME SETTINGS!!

You fail to account for the fact that reassigning certain keys chains the function of some menu keys without updating the hud legend.

this is the case with

POV = Favorite Item [Default F]
Ready = Drop/Forge(Craft) [Default R]
Action = Steal [Default E]

There was also problems with binding these keys to a mouse, where the Menu function would not work period.

If you really don't have these problems with a reassigned control config, please check and see if the scroll wheel works to zoom in on inventory items, if it does not it means the millions of people playing the game do not have the correct interface.bsa

gentlefury
12-26-2011, 09:58 AM
You fail to account for the fact that reassigning certain keys chains the function of some menu keys without updating the hud legend.

this is the case with

POV = Favorite Item [Default F]
Ready = Drop/Forge(Craft) [Default R]
Action = Steal [Default E]

There was also problems with binding these keys to a mouse, where the Menu function would not work period.

If you really don't have these problems with a reassigned control config, please check and see if the scroll wheel works to zoom in on inventory items, if it does not it means the do not have the correct interface.bsa

You can't make changes to those keys in the game...if he made changes to a system file it is his own fault for messing with it..and you can't call the game faulty for him messing with settings he shouldn't!

SnowTiger61
12-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Actually, I DON'T want to use ANY KEY.
I want to use the Default Keys at least ... and Numeric Keypad "IF Possible".
But I'll be happy with ANY bloody keys I can get to work.

Unfortunately, the Software seems to be a bit too complex for my "supposed" small brain. I followed the instructions to the "T" with little success.
However, I am certainly going to try deleting the Config as suggested to see if that helps.
I'll let ya'all know.

SnowTiger61
12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
I initially had issues with favorites, but deleting the config file (after first patch) solved it for me without any mods.

Liho1eye - Can you please identify the Location of said "Config File" and the specific file name for me ?
I'd like to try this suggestion out but can't determine which file I should delete (after backing up of course).

My game is installed in the Default C:// Location if that helps you any. Although I don't see "Skyrim" in my Bathesda folder. But I do see a Steam Folder.

Please - to all you mouthy critics .. if you don't have useful solutions to offer ... go irritate someone else off in another thread. I'm old enough to be your father (and might even be your father !!).

SnowTiger61
12-26-2011, 02:07 PM
You can't make changes to those keys in the game...if he made changes to a system file it is his own fault for messing with it..and you can't call the game faulty for him messing with settings he shouldn't!

gentlefury - you are an ignorant little idiot who's neck I'd ring in a heartbeat if you were anywhere close.

I have not changed or modified ANYTHING.
My game is out of the box and up-to-date with the currently useless Patches which caused more harm than good in my case.

From day one, I (and many others) have been unable to utilize either the default keys or any other keys to set Favorites.
Like your game, I do see the note at the bottom of the Inventory/Weapons list (and other lists) that says to use "F" for Favorites. My Game/System Settings also say "F" is the Favorites Key.
The point is though, when I try to USE the dam key ... NOTHING HAPPENS >>>> N O T H I N G !!!! Pull your high and mighty head out of your stinking orifice.

In attempt to correct the issue (before and after updating with the patches), I have tried to program alternative keys (as opposed to the Game Programmed Defaults) which has resulted in NO CHANGES. The keys DO NOT WORK. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Finally, I have been using computers probably since before you were even born. I have worked on and with computers on a daily basis (making my living) since 1990 ... before there was even a Mouse (except for AutoCAD). I have forgotten more about computers and that which makes them tick, than you will EVER know. But that doesn't make my game work any better ... and certainly not as designed.

Now go PI$$ someone else off you arrogant little Puke.

Carnage009
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
C:\Users\%name%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim
is the spot for config (.ini) files.

imo, the key bind/favourites problem was fixed in the 1.2 patch, but it was only an issue if you had remapped your keys...

squall_leonhart
12-26-2011, 11:04 PM

Alright, you're going on ignore, you're not just ignorant.

seriously, im not the only one who see's the button assignments configuration screen?

squall_leonhart
12-26-2011, 11:06 PM
C:\Users\%name%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim
is the spot for config (.ini) files.

imo, the key bind/favourites problem was fixed in the 1.2 patch, but it was only an issue if you had remapped your keys...

the issue still exists in 1.3.10, lol.

ZackBlastoff
12-27-2011, 02:12 AM
I totally agree with SnowTiger61 about these ridiculous issues PC users are expected to put up with.

For a "Triple A" product from a high profile company the UI and keybinding issues alone are farcical.

Anyone faintly acquainted with game development would be bewildered how issues like these made it into the final product.

Carnage009
12-27-2011, 04:36 AM
the issue still exists in 1.3.10, lol.

the only problem I have is that the displayed keys in the menu are not what's been remapped... other then that there is no issue with the favourites menu, as long as I remember that T and F are swapped around on my remapping the favourites menu works perfectly fine.

so I would need to disagree the issue does not, and has not existed since the dreaded 1.2 update.

squall_leonhart
12-27-2011, 07:30 AM
now assign them to a mouse ;p

gentlefury
12-27-2011, 07:33 AM
gentlefury - you are an ignorant little idiot who's neck I'd ring in a heartbeat if you were anywhere close.

I have not changed or modified ANYTHING.
My game is out of the box and up-to-date with the currently useless Patches which caused more harm than good in my case.

From day one, I (and many others) have been unable to utilize either the default keys or any other keys to set Favorites.
Like your game, I do see the note at the bottom of the Inventory/Weapons list (and other lists) that says to use "F" for Favorites. My Game/System Settings also say "F" is the Favorites Key.
The point is though, when I try to USE the dam key ... NOTHING HAPPENS >>>> N O T H I N G !!!! Pull your high and mighty head out of your stinking orifice.

In attempt to correct the issue (before and after updating with the patches), I have tried to program alternative keys (as opposed to the Game Programmed Defaults) which has resulted in NO CHANGES. The keys DO NOT WORK. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Finally, I have been using computers probably since before you were even born. I have worked on and with computers on a daily basis (making my living) since 1990 ... before there was even a Mouse (except for AutoCAD). I have forgotten more about computers and that which makes them tick, than you will EVER know. But that doesn't make my game work any better ... and certainly not as designed.

Now go PI$$ someone else off you arrogant little Puke.

wow, such hostility over a game...get a life.

masterthehero
12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
wow, such hostility over a game...get a life.

Why don't you leave him alone? He's obviously frustrated that his game isn't working properly, and all you're doing is adding fuel to the fire when he's trying to find a SOLUTION to his problem. The person instigating and provoking is the one who should get a life.

Good luck Snow_Tiger, I don't have that problem but I do understand the frustrations.