PDA

View Full Version : MSI After Burner with GeForce GT540m Cuda 2GB

sketchblo
12-23-2011, 07:53 AM
What would you recommend me for my GeForce GT540m Cuda 2GB, I'm totally new into "Overclocking".

Also, is it possible to overclock my cpu I think it's an Intel Core i7 2630QM.

Thanks! :D

for the gpu: The core clock is at 672Mhz, the Shader Clock is at 1344MHz, the memory clock is at 900MHz

Zodiark1593
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
The general consensus is that overclocking laptop GPUs is a bad idea, especially if you're new to overclocking to begin with. If you happen to have some thermal headroom, you could probably crank up the clocks quite a bit, but since you're new to begin with, I suggest you stay away.

TeKraken
12-23-2011, 10:51 AM
The general consensus is that overclocking laptop GPUs is a bad idea, especially if you're new to overclocking to begin with. If you happen to have some thermal headroom, you could probably crank up the clocks quite a bit, but since you're new to begin with, I suggest you stay away.

Or try to find someone who has done the same with the same components as you (and put it on youtube). But beware the internet - one mans overclock is another mans trip to the hardware shop. I wouldn't want to fry your lappy.

NorthernKingdom
12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
MSI Afterburner is for AMD GPU's.

Evga Precision is for Geforce.

TeKraken
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM

no, it works for both, i had it with my gtx460 for the fan profile.

alberts00
12-23-2011, 10:55 AM

That information is based on what? Your thoughts?

Zodiark1593
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
That information is based on what? Your thoughts?

Doesn't Rivatuner do both as well? At least, that's what I used for my laptop's Radeon 6370M.

AlecJ32
12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Overclocking a laptop GPU is probably the number one worst idea I've heard this week.

spengbab
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
If you crack open a laptop, in it you will find a copper heatpipe that leads to a heatsink where the fan is on your laptop. This copper heatpipe covers the GPU and the CPU.

Now I won't say again on why I think this is a very bad idea.

venomblade89
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Overclocking a laptop GPU is probably the number one worst idea I've heard this week.

this.

TeKraken
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM

This +1

Zodiark1593
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Is it such a bad idea if you can get a stable 15% overclock on the memory and core, while keeping below 70 Celsius? ;)

Then again, not all laptop cooling systems are alike. I happened to get lucky my GPU and CPU got separate heat pipes (on an HP no less :eek:). Most have the CPU and GPU on the same pipe, so the GPU temps affect the CPU temps as well.

Sikaris
12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Well I for one have achieved a stable overclock on the GT 540M in my Alienware and the temps are just fine (both CPU and GPU)

Bad_Motha
12-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Doesn't Rivatuner do both as well? At least, that's what I used for my laptop's Radeon 6370M.

MSI Afterburner is based around RivaTuner and uses it as it's base software backbone, but with a much more user-friendly GUI. Overall I highly recommend Afterburner, regardless of your GPU. It works with pretty much any ATI/AMD/NVIDIA GPU out there, including mobile versions.

But on mobile GPUs, you can't change the fan speed as that is controlled by the motherboard/GPU and usually can't be changed using software. So if you do overclock, be prepared to run hotter at high/full loads since you can't manually change your fan speed.

masta121
12-23-2011, 08:40 PM
MSI Afterburner is based around RivaTuner and uses it as it's base software backbone, but with a much more user-friendly GUI. Overall I highly recommend Afterburner, regardless of your GPU. It works with pretty much any ATI/AMD/NVIDIA GPU out there, including mobile versions.

But on mobile GPUs, you can't change the fan speed as that is controlled by the motherboard/GPU and usually can't be changed using software. So if you do overclock, be prepared to run hotter at high/full loads since you can't manually change your fan speed.

Actually, the person who made RivaTuner abandoned it over a year ago. The AfterBurner app is a continuation of Riva Tuner (as is EVGA Precision to an extent). Same guy.

Bad_Motha
12-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Precision is basically EVGA's version of Afterburner. But Afterburner (even though it's MSI) works with pretty much any GPU. Precision however only works with EVGA GPUs.

ASUS also has a version of their own for their GPU lineups.

But again you can use Afterburner regardless of the GPU. Don't think it works on Intel based GPUs, but why would you need/want to.