PDA

View Full Version : Disabling V-Sync after latest patch not work?

Draetor24
12-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Ok, so I've been off Skyrim for about a month now. Anyways, I did a new install on Steam and tried to edit my INI for iPresentInterval=0 because v-sync really sucks and lags. Anyways, I noticed it didn't work. Then I noticed in the INI, that a new line of iPresentInterval=1 had been added. It's as if Bethesda wants us to keep that on??

Then I read an article stating it's important not to remove v-sync as it screws a lot of timing up in the game. So what's the latest report on all this? Suck it up and leave vsync on?

Also, is disabling mouse smoothing still useful? I am using no mods, and a clean install.

superboyofmeat
12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Then I noticed in the INI, that a new line of iPresentInterval=1 had been added. It's as if Bethesda wants us to keep that on??

They do want it on. It isn't just there for V-sync, it is a balancer for timescale in-game. If you disable it you will experience bugs involving physics issues, clipping issues, timescale-de-synchronizations, and time based quests breaking.

Yes, you should leave it on. If you are experiencing input lag.

1. Try disabling the 360 controller from the ingame controls menu

2. If that didn't work, get a fps limiter and use it till you see less input lag

3. If that didn't work, you are playing the game at settings that are too high for your rig. Tweak shadows in ini and lower AA some.

And yes, disabling mouse smoothing is still useful.

DarkJeff
12-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I think the first step should be to force Triple Buffering on, since that's traditionally the method used to negate V-Sync's disadvantages.

Draetor24
12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I use ATI drivers, and don't bother with 3rd party performance software. The only triple buffering option is for OpenGL. I'm not sure that will help in this case?

Thanks for the useful info though. My input lag isn't that bad with v-sync, but the main thing I hate with v-sync in all games is that my mouse feels sluggish in menus and areas where I know I can exceed 100+ frames, and get super fluid motion.