PDA

View Full Version : High CPU usage, makes game intermittently unplayable

Icetigris
12-23-2011, 10:49 PM
When it's not freaking out, the game works just fine. When it is freaking out, it spikes my CPU usage to 100%. I tried setting the game's processor affinity to a single core, but that didn't help any. I am playing with a USB 360 controller. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a solution?

Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz per core
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS

I can provide a more detailed CPU usage breakdown when it's freaking out if necessary.

spyrochaete
12-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Could you please provide more detail? I first played the game on a system very similar to yours (Core 2 Duo, 9800GT, Vista Ultimate x64) and didn't experience that issue.

nobiology
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
check to see what services are using the cpu. I had a problem where I would spike to 100% while playing, the process was svchost.exe with the specific service being dcomlaunch. Apparently vista and windows 7 sometimes have an issue with sound cards or drivers. I had to manually disable all sound enhancements and this solved it. Not sure if you're having the same issue or something else, but hopefully it helps.

DFNathan
12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
That's all very good advice. Other things that can really slam your system are anti-virus/spam/malware programs as well as, well, viruses, spam, and malware :)