PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Skyrim?

Empr1ze
12-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I dunno. I have a pretty big Steam backlog and my money is running out, but the Skyrim deal looks like something you shouldn't miss. I planned to wait until it'll drop to $30 and wait for Summer sale to drop it to $20. I figure I can wait at most a year since I can keep myself occupied with the new CS, Fallout 3, New Vegas, RAGE, Borderlands, Mass Effect series, Dead Space series, etc.

Should I buy it now or what??

AngryJens
12-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes.

10char

jpnole
Considering Skyrim is better than any of those games I'd say yes. Also what is it with people saying they can wait months or even years for the price to drop? Been seeing this stated a lot in the Skyrim forums lately. You only live once.... GET IT!!!

gentlefury
yes..

Subaru41
12-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Yes, it is on sale right now live for $40. I am glad I waited. I almost bought it yesterday, and wanted it to start downloading so I can play it Christmas Morning.

Haldur
12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Depends on how patient you are, and how much you are enjoying the games that you are currently playing. The game will be as fun or better 2 years from now. But you can say that about almost any game, book, movie, or whatever, as well. So that's up to you.

I also have a huge Steam backlog (yep, those sales are just too tempting sometimes). But I don't have any regrets about buying this game -- imho, it's better than any of the other games that you've listed (and I've played most of them).

Essentially, it's an Elder Scrolls game, with everything that we've come to expect from an Elder Scrolls game, and more. If you've played Oblivion... well this is, in many ways, more of the same, but better. If you enjoyed Morrowind, then you should probably really enjoy this game as well.

The only negative I have to say about Skyrim is that it's not as green and colorful a world as Oblivion (Skyrim has lots of snowfall, overcast skies, etc.). Other than that, it surpasses Oblivion in just about every other way.

Devlin
12-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes!! It's the best 'time thief' since Morrowind & Oblivion.

Blizzara
12-24-2011, 01:38 PM
I dunno... I'm in the same situation than you. I've been wishing Skyrim since it was launched, but then I found out Steam and bought a lot of games, so I have series to entertain me for at least the first half of the year (also, I spent what I was saving for Skyrim and a bit more).

And to second that, I read somewhere that games bought on Steam won't allow me to apply mods, and Skyrim looks like one of those games I'm gonna play for years to come so I'm sure I'll want the most experience I could get with it

PutterMayhem
12-24-2011, 01:43 PM
You can mod games on Steam. I got Oblivion and Skyrim on Steam and have already installed mods on both.

Empr1ze
12-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I bought the game. I figure it'll be around a year before the actual price will go down. It's one of the top selling games in the world and Black Ops is still expensive. Prototype was released 2 years ago and it's still $30.. I don't think we'll see Skyrim on sale again for a while so why not =p

ShadyGuy
12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes, it's a game that's worth full price, so for this daily deal it really is a steal. I also have plenty of other games to play, but Skyrim is getting all the love at the moment. 245 hours logged now. :)

P.S. Mods work fine and steam will even include a service that'll allow you to download mods through steam for convenience. :)

Phoenix210
12-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Skyrim is jawdropping. You can do so damn much or just breeze through the story to test if you can do it at level 10... simply freedom and fun.

Buy it.

laquak
12-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Its a pretty long game so defiantely.

xizar
12-24-2011, 02:56 PM
... It's not bloody green everywhere? omg... instabuy. (well, instabuy, in as much as I waited this long).

Part of what I hated about Oblivion was how "lush" everything wanted to be. Borderlands has an aesthetic that appeals to me *far* more than all that grass and trees and junk. Same with Fallout 3/NV.

To the OP, you can probably *very* easily make it until Summer with just Borderlands and Fallout alone. I am *still* working my way through FO:NV and enjoying it. Also, Borderlands is a blast to play (solo or not). Rage? I hear bad things about, but it's too late for you (I have no experience with it myself).

I'm going to take a gamble on *this* Elder Scroll game, and hope that the leveling system isn't dumb like in Oblivion.

bungiefan89
12-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I will be purchasing it out of respect for the makers. This is a fantastic game, and for it to be on sale so soon after release is magnificent.

Fiko
12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I dunno. I have a pretty big Steam backlog and my money is running out, but the Skyrim deal looks like something you shouldn't miss. I planned to wait until it'll drop to $30 and wait for Summer sale to drop it to $20. I figure I can wait at most a year since I can keep myself occupied with the new CS, Fallout 3, New Vegas, RAGE, Borderlands, Mass Effect series, Dead Space series, etc.

Should I buy it now or what??

Skyrim is a yes to get game of awesomeness rpg go get it you get many hours of fun

Empr1ze
12-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I will be purchasing it out of respect for the makers. This is a fantastic game, and for it to be on sale so soon after release is magnificent.

Yeah, exactly. I tend to not buy games that cost over $25, but this is an exception as this is one of those games that actually is worth paying that much for. I know that I'm planning on buying Bioshock Infinite at full price.. :)

Thanks for feedback people! Can't wait to play...

lookandroll
12-24-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm gonna wait. I haven't finished Witcher 2, DE:HR and New Vegas yet...

Plus, buying a Bethesda game at launch is not the most bright thing to do

I'd say wait for some Patches, DLC, Price cut and Mods

TheSagetEffect
12-24-2011, 05:58 PM
It's the best game of the year and perhaps the best game I have ever played.

Yes, for forty bucks it's a steal.

Abenlen
12-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Skyrim is the only game I bought this year. I just bought the game for my husband, so we've spent $100 in our household for it. And it's worth it, to us at least.