PDA

View Full Version : why installscript.vdf!!

rasidian6
12-24-2011, 07:49 PM
why is it every time i install a new game, i have to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common to edit a bunch of crap out of a installscript.vdf and delete a redist folder just to stop a game from installing a bunch of garbage that COMES WITH WINDOWS VISTA/7. i get so fed up with this i wonder why i even use steam for games that are not made by valve.

so to this end i ask steam, why not prompt me before it automatically launches a .msi or .exe file that is not the game executable? or better yet, use steam to scan our systems for a list of known required libraries, and ask to install them for games we press to play, before it launches them. and not ask at all if the correct version of the library is installed.

Satoru
12-24-2011, 08:45 PM
There's an extensive thread about certain dx components that are game specific and the only way to ensure that they are installed is via the Microsoft approved method of using the dxsetup.exe

You lose maybe 1 minute of your life just once when you install the game. Is this really such a huge deal? Developers add them in because they are not sure if you have the latest vcredist or such. Note that the corruption or non-installation of these components a major reason games don't work initially, and reinstalling them from the redist directory fixes the majority of users' issues. Thus at a bare minimum they are necessary as base troubleshooting measures.

NoBridges
12-24-2011, 08:47 PM
What really annoys me is that some games comes with the bugged vcredist package, one that unpacks everything into the root of one of your drives (D on my comp) and then runs the setup. After setup is done, there'a a ton of useless leftover files that needs to be manually deleted.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: x500

malmute
12-24-2011, 09:01 PM
What annoys me is that some Steam games run this crap installer every time you run the game. SilentHunter5 is a perfect example. Had the same issue with Railworks2012 and had to manually change the name of the installer to stop it but I can't seem to fix SH5 using the same method because I can't find where they put the install file. I even emailed Ubisoft about it and they have done nothing to fix it. ANNOYING!!!