PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Visa : Credit denied ???

evenlease
12-25-2011, 01:07 AM
So, lately I've been using Vanilla Visa gift cards.

It's been working great, till today... Steam keeps denying me even though I just bought two games off amazon.

Why? What the hell is going on?

/EDIT SOLUTION !\

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Are you attempting to make the purchase through Steam or with a web browser
using the storefront webpage?

If using Steam, try the following:

If using a PC
-Exit Steam, then go to the location that Steam is installed to. By default
this is C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam
installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to
browse to it).
-Delete all of the files except for:
Steam.exe
And the folder \SteamApps\

If using a Mac:
-Exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application
Support/Steam
-Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer and test the issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If the issue still persists, try using a web browser (Internet Explorer 7 or
higher on PC, or Safari if on a Mac) to make the purchase using
http://store.steampowered.com/

If it still fails, try logging into your Steam account and making the purchase
directly through the Store interface.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Support Response ^^^ Worked for me

TheMG
12-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Is it Steam that is blocking the purchase or is it the credit card issuer?

Ensure you have sufficient balance on the card to make the purchase. Also make sure the card is registered to an address that is the same as your physical location, and that you are entering all the correct information when making the purchase. After that I'd phone up the credit card issuer and make sure it's not them that are blocking the charge.

If you've confirmed it's none of that, you'll have to contact Steam Support to find out why it's being declined.

evenlease
12-25-2011, 01:29 AM
I have $58 on the card, I've been using these vanilla visa's through steam for months.

I have also contacted steam support on the matter, but I'm afraid I'll miss tomorrows sales since I doubt they work sunday?

TheMG
12-25-2011, 01:32 AM
They do work sundays but due to the holiday sales they are probably a little busier than usual.

What exactly is the error message that Steam gives you when you attempt to make the purchase?

evenlease
12-25-2011, 01:45 AM
This is what it says,

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.

mikde
12-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Vanilla visa will not work on steam because visa does not let you add you're name and other info to the card anymore.

mikde
12-25-2011, 01:48 AM
most prepaid debit cards allow you to call and add the info the best ones to use are American Express

evenlease
12-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Whats funny is, I used a different pre-paid vanilla visa just 5 days ago on steam and it worked like a charm, I just got off the phone with customer service and they said it's all clear on there side so it has to be steam for some odd reason.

My question is, WHY? I've used about 5 different vanilla visa's in the last 2 months on steam no issue till now.

MichaelBgB
12-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Did you register the card at VanillaVisa.com? If you look at the peice of paper the gift card comes with you should that see somewhere on it has an area titled "Internet, Mail, and Phone Order Purchases" Follow the instructions on how to register your card for online use and it should work on Steam.

evenlease
12-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Yup I have, Vanilla visa only registers the zip code to be anonymous. Which has never failed. I've been buying stuff on amazon tonight, and else where. Steam usually works, now it isn't. Ugh.

mikde
12-25-2011, 01:58 AM
you could try to add the card to paypal

evenlease
12-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Didn't want to take that option but it seems I'm turning to have no other choice :(

Before I do so, I want to see if I can get this resolved though.

For now, I must sleep... Merry Christmas everyone, hope I can get this resolved tomorrow.

ozgeek
12-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Can you try buying the games through a web browser like IE or firefox?

Korialstrasz
12-25-2011, 03:46 AM
I just used a vanilla visa to see if it would work (since I too use them for steam purchases) and it went through fine.
Make sure you're not experiencing the usual issue with double purchases (so you're stuck with $50 pending and $50 completed counting as $100 even though in 8 days you'll have the $50 that was pending available to spend again)

evenlease
12-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Now, nothing is working on steam... My vanilla visa wont work, my american express prepaid wont work, paypal wont work.

Wtf? these ALL work EVERYWHERE ELSE! WHY???

evenlease
12-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Anyone??

udin39
12-25-2011, 02:11 PM
2 games that i missed.I keep getting the same error.Send ticket 2 days ago..still waiting. T_T

Jinxer217
12-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Found out my problem.... I have a Vanilla Master Card and it seems you have to go to the website and on the lsft side there is a 'register your card' button.... It seems they wont let you buy anything online or on the phone unless you give them your postal code.... Ive been using Vanilla Visa cards btw so I did not know this....

Suminagashi
12-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm having a similar problem, except I'm using my Visa debit card from my bank. Every time I try to buy 2 games I want today, I am greeted with a message about my card declining the charge or some such, I forget the exact wording. I've also tried using my PayPal, which draws funds directly through the account instead of going through the debit card, and got the same result.

...And just as I was going to try to purchase the games again solely to prompt the error message so I could copy/pasta it here, the transaction finally went through. Here I was wondering if maybe my bank was messed up for the holiday or if it was a security feature in place for too many recent purchases (thanks for that, Steam;)), but nope, apparently it was Steam having issues after all. Maybe try again in a while? I hope you are able to make your purchase(s) before the sale you're after ends. Good luck!

evenlease
12-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Odd thing is, it works on my fiancee's account, all my cards do. But the second I try on my account I get an error, so right now i'm forced to buy through her account and gift to mine.

Wth? Am I being blocked Steam??

woodeeeeee
12-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Loads of people have had problems like this, only thing which can be blamed for this is the stress the servers are getting from people with all these trades, buying games and such.

RavenGT
12-25-2011, 04:54 PM
It would make me more comfortable if a Valve rep could confirm whether we are actually being flagged for credit card suspicion or if it's simply Steam servers being stressed. I managed to add some money to my Steam wallet some time ago, but I can't purchase Alice now. Valve don't you want my money?

evenlease
12-25-2011, 05:10 PM
^ Yeah I'd like that to. ^

evenlease
12-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Would like an update on this? Still having this issue!!!

evenlease
12-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Bumping, solution found, fist page

slicerv
12-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I've used 2 visa vanilla gift cards this month have not had any issues on my end. But I'm pretty sure who ever watches the logs can tell what kind of card it is. But I am wondering the same thing RavenGt is asking. I know the money is leaving the card balance cause I can see all the transactions.

TWOTF
12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I was having the same issue, i'll try this later to confirm the solution

SiNSiDiouS
12-26-2011, 08:52 PM
solution does not work

evenlease
12-26-2011, 08:56 PM
It worked for me :\ Interesting, I wonder the cause of it not working for others.

fungfung_lam
12-26-2011, 10:07 PM
works for me, thanks!(i use paypal)
but because of the crap i missed yesterday's deal =[

evenlease
12-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm happy this is working for some! It's a very frustrating issue.

Wide Vector
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Didn't read through all the posts but I had this problem and it has a very simply fix.

I tried to buy a few games with one I got for christmas and it was denied. I skimmed the "manual" of the card and noticed that it said you might have to register the card with a zip code. Go to vanillavisa.com and login using the cards info; number, security code and expiration date, and then register the card with your local zip code.

I did just that and then tried to buy the games again and it worked fine. Hope this helps.

TWOTF
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
It worked for me as well, thanks! :D

SiN, is your card registered?

evenlease
12-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Good to see this solution is working :)

evenlease
12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
This solution should be stickyed :p

RavenPrime
12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
To chime in with my experience:
I'm having pretty much the same problem. I was using a card (which worked fine on Steam for a couple purchases) which suddenly didn't work and kept getting rejected.
I had my wife use the card on her account, and it worked fine. Tried another card on my account, still didn't work. Tried both cards in places other than Steam, they worked. Problem wasn't the card.
I tried deleting the files suggested in here and tried the internet browser store. Didn't work. Problem isn't my installation.
I then tried on another computer which pretty much has nothing on it except for Steam because it's brand new for Christmas. Still didn't work. Problem isn't my computer.

I'm just hoping that for all my attempts at getting this to work (which will be 0 more attempts because it's obviously something Steam server side now), I'm not getting flagged as suspicious for repeatedly trying credit cards and failing.

evenlease
12-27-2011, 10:44 AM
^ Yeah, not sure why steam does this problem at all. And that your's doesn't want to seem fixable.

Till a fix is found for you, I'd just buy and then gift through your wife's account.

SiNSiDiouS
12-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Well for me its not a vanilla visa. Its a CIBC Visa that is not working. I try through paypal and it doesn't work. I can get other things through, but not through steam. I live in Canada but am currently in the states for the holidays. I have contacted support and have gotten nothing for days.

zoobird
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Found out my problem.... I have a Vanilla Master Card and it seems you have to go to the website and on the lsft side there is a 'register your card' button.... It seems they wont let you buy anything online or on the phone unless you give them your postal code.... Ive been using Vanilla Visa cards btw so I did not know this....

Well, I have a Vanilla Visa and I had the same problem. I had to register my Zip Code before I could purchase.

SiNSiDiouS
12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a response from the support staff. It was an issue with the fact that the ip address of my computer (Canada) did not match the one of the router I was connected to (america). This had locked down my account. But it is now unlocked.

SgtKaboose
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
To fix this problem, go to the Vanilla website and REGISTER your card.

evenlease
12-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Sgt, if you read anything in this thread... you would know that wasn't the issue.

evenlease
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Reminder to anyone needing help on this, solution found. First page.

DrLoveBox
01-02-2012, 11:27 PM
solution isn't working for me, my cards registered too da hell