PDA

View Full Version : IridiumStudios: "You mad?"

Whiplashr
12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
From this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2312390

I am honestly shocked to see a representative of this games developer say something so rude and immature to someone here. On Christmas day.. Just because someone questioned his decision.

No effort to actually justify.. just an immature, provocative retort.

These holiday achievements are a joke, and in all other games people are working together and helping each other in the holiday spirit.

Apparently here it's a crime against humanity to get help, and the elitist mentality that prevails is "figure it out yourself", and even immature insults from an actual dev just because someone had the audacity to question their idiotic actions.

I'm very sorry I supported this game in any way. I'd return it right now if I could.

It's pathetic behavior.

Will this thread be deleted? Or locked? We'll see..

IridiumStudios
12-27-2011, 12:25 PM
It won't be locked or deleted.

I would point out the achievement in question is not the holiday achievement, but bonus content involving a riddle and some ARG-type material. I will continue my policy of not allowing anyone to directly spell out the solution (which requires beating most of the game, I might add), and I will also continue my policy of poking fun at people who are extremely rude despite attempts at rational discussion.

If anyone would like a refund, simply PM me your E-mail address and I will PayPal you your money back immediately.

JustAlfo
12-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Did you watch any of the videos that they made for the game on the steam store page? I laughed when I saw his response cause it fit right in with the style they used to describe their game. Plus did you look at what the other guy was saying haha?

Meracle
12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Personally I prefer it to the usual stonecold machine like attitude of some other devs.

Kneppy18
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Though I'm not going to comment on the professionalism of the response to the post in question nor to the idea of allowing for spoilers, I will say that the n00bicide poster was being incredibly rude first. Gotta say, though, offering a refund is a gutsy move.

If anything, I just thank you for caring enough to respond to people at all and for making a very interesting game.

JustAlfo
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Personally I prefer it to the usual stonecold machine like attitude of some other devs.

Exactly, it feels like your talking to a person instead of an automated response system. I just bought the game because of how the "spokesperson" described the game in the 2nd steam store page video. That guy is a great salesman.

Razeluxe
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
OP's an idiot. Did you not read your "thread in question" at all?

Thron
12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Iridium has provided some of the best post release support I've seen on this site. You're the one who looks childish.

Dance91
12-27-2011, 12:33 PM

I would point out the achievement in question is not the holiday achievement, but bonus content involving a riddle and some ARG-type material. I will continue my policy of not allowing anyone to directly spell out the solution (which requires beating most of the game, I might add), and I will also continue my policy of poking fun at people who are extremely rude despite attempts at rational discussion.

If anyone would like a refund, simply PM me your E-mail address and I will PayPal you your money back immediately.

Actually, I think it was you who came off as unwilling to have a rational discussion... You ended it with "You mad" and locked the thread...

Granted, the guy in question didn't have to cuss, but he was a paying customer...and I do agree that it's our game and we should be able to play it as we would like to.

Sysgen
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
This developer is extremely supportive. Buy the game and enjoy.

PGuybrush
12-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Ballsy. I'm buying your game for this.

Jinxer217
12-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Truth

semtex43
Achievement is easy. Just start to play and you'll get it.
The game is fun.

aldariz
OP mad

Meracle
Granted, the guy in question didn't have to cuss, but he was a paying customer....

This is why I can't stand working in retail

akaSM
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I approve of that post. You got another sale :3

Phatmillips
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I think this is such an overreaction of peoples mentalities and rights as a customer - people forget developers are people too and when of them does something that's out of the ordinary they cry fowl. Bottom line is this is an issue that plagues not just them but other people in power or authority as they are people that society looks to shine an example of, like parents.

It's dissapointing this issue has went in this direction, and Im sure whoever said/posted that comment in the other thread never meant it negatively or viciously. It's unfortunante that we have absolutely lashed out a company at a whole and wrote a negative thread towards them because of it. Is this no different or better than what they did to you?

It's strange but Im always reminded about one of the most important things while growing up, if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all. This works on both sides of the street, while I dont condone or understand the initial comment I sure do not condone or support the retaliation.

Porcupeth
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I was gonna buy the game. Now i won't.

You mad?

Meracle
12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Im sure whoever said/posted that comment in the other thread never meant it negatively or viciously.

While you may be right, and we could give them the benefit of the doubt, I've been around the internet long enough to know that there are a lot of people who do in fact say things to be just that.

Calikitz
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
He's a paying customer, who was rude first.

Customers and clients are equal. They are both giving each other something. Why the hell customers think they are gods is beyond me.

Sometimes complaints are valid but one can't expect 100% satisfaction with every purchase. You win some you lose some, it's called LIFE. Deal with it. In this case its a game that cost customer $1.25-5.00 which took a ton of time and effort for the dev to make, probably a lot more than a few dollars worth.

In this case it was about the dev not wanting how to aquire a certain achievement disclosed? The guy made the game. If he designed the game for something to be hidden he has every right to do his best to make it remain so.

Any what's with people looking at FAQs for "achievements" anyway? I agree with the dev, if you look at a FAQ on how to achieve your "achievement" you really aren't achieving anything so what the hell is the point?

EDIT: I praise the dev for not speaking in business English and instead speaking like a human being. That fake stuff is tiring and comes off as unapproachable. Some people need to grow some thicker skin and stop being crybabies. Half the reason I love indie games is because the devs are accessible and real.

Meracle
12-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Customers and clients are equal. They are both giving each other something. Why the hell customers think they are gods is beyond me.

Sometimes complaints are valid but one can't expect 100% satisfaction with every purchase. You win some you lose some, it's called LIFE. Deal with it.

In this case it was about the dev not wanting how to aquire a certain achievement disclosed? The guy made the game. If he designed the game for something to be hidden he has every right to do his best to make it remain so.

Any what's with people looking at FAQs for "achievements" anyway? I agree with the dev, if you look at a FAQ on how to achieve your "achievement" you really aren't achieving anything so what the hell is the point?

People want instant gratification instead of that sense of accomplishment anymore it seems sadly.

Lepinkäinen
12-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I 100% support the policy to poke fun at rude people. As long as the initial response is good and informative, being overly understanding in a longer, repetitive conversation is pointless.

donnymill
12-27-2011, 01:31 PM

You mad?

Three or four other people in this thread have said they will buy the game, so I'm guessing not.

Orbitrap
12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I 100% support the policy to poke fun at rude people. As long as initial response are good and informative, being overly understanding in a longer, repetitive conversation is pointless.

Actually I think this could be the developers shtick. They can be rude and make fun of people. Honestly I would check this forum all the time if they did this! Isn't there a small restaurant chain that does this?

Anyway great game, glad I bought it!

MichaelAngelo
12-27-2011, 01:55 PM
People want instant gratification instead of that sense of accomplishment anymore it seems sadly.

1. Achievements are made for people who like that and have much time on their hands. I don't like them. It's totally okay to like them though.

2. The Winter Sale thing REQUIRES the user to be fast. It's all over in three days. Everyone wants something for free. So the specific winter sale achievements have to be solved quickly.

3. Aside from a legal standpoint (I know nothing about that): I own the license of a steam game. It's MY decision to cheat, to get ahead of others, to NOT have fun playing a game. MY decision and no one else's. I'm working(!) through the daily achievement list for the SOLEY purpose to get someting for free out of it. I own more than 200 games on steam. I don't have the time or patience to discover the achievements, because I don't see the meaning of achievements.

4. I can understand the devs. At least partly. But they won't achieve ANYTHING by denying people to look for a quick solution of the particular task. People who want to get as quickly as possible through the daily tasks are not your 'fans' or devoted gamers of your game. I wanna get something out of it. A coupon/coal/game. Nothing more. Gamers devoted to your game won't look for a quick solution. That doesn't mean the gamers like me might not be your customers. They look somewhere else and you look (the devs) look slighty unpleasent by patronzing gamers like me.

5. I am not one of your customers. Not because I think that your reaction is kinda childish, but because I think your game doesn't look interesting enough to sepnd a euro.

Tacograndex
12-27-2011, 02:01 PM
1. Achievements are made for people who like that and have much time on their hands. I don't like them. It's totally okay to like them though.

2. The Winter Sale thing REQUIRES the user to be fast. It's all over in three days. Everyone wants something for free. So the specific winter sale achievements have to be solved quickly.

3. Aside from a legal standpoint (I know nothing about that): I own the license of a steam game. It's MY decision to cheat, to get ahead of others, to NOT have fun playing a game. MY decision and no one else's. I'm working(!) through the daily achievement list for the SOLEY purpose to get someting for free out of it. I own more than 200 games on steam. I don't have the time or patience to discover the achievements, because I don't see the meaning of achievements.

4. I can understand the devs. At least partly. But they won't achieve ANYTHING by denying people to look for a quick solution of the particular task. People who want to get as quickly as possible through the daily tasks are not your 'fans' or devoted gamers of your game. I wanna get something out of it. A coupon/coal/game. Nothing more. Gamers devoted to your game won't look for a quick solution. That doesn't mean the gamers like me might not be your customers. They look somewhere else and you look (the devs) look slighty unpleasent by patronzing gamers like me.

5. I am not one of your customers. Not because I think that your reaction is kinda childish, but because I think your game doesn't look interesting enough to sepnd a euro.

Not worth a euro? come on man this is probably one of the best deals of the winter sale.

IridiumStudios
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Once again, the achievement in question IS NOT THE WINTER ACHIEVEMENT. The winter achievement is simple: kill the second monster on the first floor.

Ginhyun
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I was on the fence after watching the trailers (funny though they were), but now I'm getting it.

MichaelAngelo
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Once again, the achievement in question IS NOT THE WINTER ACHIEVEMENT. The winter achievement is simple: kill the second monster on the first floor.

Then I take everything back and state the opposite :)

Gunblazer 42
12-27-2011, 02:10 PM

With the possible exception of the free to play MMOs (at least in Rise of Immortals and possibly Crimecraft, due to server strain bringing their servers down for a few hours), all of the achievements thus far have been available within the first 30 minutes of starting the game. Even the Rusty Hearts achievement yesterday could be obtained within 30 minutes from character creation to mission complete.

And even then, as the developer has pointed out twice in this very thread, the achievement the person was asking about wasn't the Great Gift Grab one, but another one.

MichaelAngelo
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Not worth a euro? come on man this is probably one of the best deals of the winter sale.

I simply don't like rythm games, because I don't any have rythm :)
The game itself might be perfect for anyone who likes these games, for sure.

mystrdat
12-27-2011, 02:35 PM
They all mad!!1 Love you Iridium, don't you stand down on this.

Ryan5732
12-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Good dev, bought the game, thanks!
:D

setzway
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM

I actually hated rythm games as well since I was never any good. This is the only rythm game I have ever bought and played and I loved it. Seriously you should get it, especially since it's on sale. He even has an easy mode in which there are barely any arrows for you to hit during the song. He made it easy to get into and slowly get better at it. I went from easy to hard in 2 weeks of playing, and I never played rythm games.

Also if you are still dubious, if you have an Xbox 360 or a friend that has one you can download the trial version of this game from the Xbox live arcade. Granted you are playing with a controller, it should give you an idea of what it would be like.

On Topic:
I presonally liked Iridium's "you mad". The customer was very rude to start, that's not how you get customer service to want to help you...Furthermore we are talking about a GAME here and about an OPTIONAL achievement. While I understand the whole customer is always right and that the developer may have come off as "childish", you can't really agree with n00bicide with a straight face. Now while I agree that games should be played how we want to play them, each developer is able to create the game however they like and make indiviual goals as easy or as hard as they like. Furthermore if the developers want to make cheating impossible for their game, than that is their right. This type of argument is akin to saying that an artist's work is flawed because "you", the viewer, can't make the colors inverted or hues of red and blue and then therefore the artist is in the wrong because you are unable to do what you want with his creation.

Now as for the developer being "childish"...Really? Would you rather have him be politically correct faked concern and go head over heels to make that one person happy at the potential cost of making many of his other consumers unhappy? If he would have intially replied with "you mad" then I would be totally up in his face about how unprofessional he was being. However his first response was informative and trying to explain his reasoning with the guy, only to have it fall on deaf ears.

Perhaps I am biased in this matter because of my experience with Iridium and how helpful and informative he has been in the past to myself and others. His work ethic really made me happy I bought his game, especially when he released a patch that broke my save and a few others that would have made us start over if not for his quick response and fix in a matter of 2 days.

Could he have handled himself better and said something differently but had the same weight? Yes I believe he could have, but I don't think it would have made much difference unless it was crude or downright hurtful. I think our era of being politically correct has thinned out our skins and made us prone to pouncing on certain things.

I think this particular issue is going to be inflated beyond it's logical proportions, but then again it might just be me.

Whiplashr
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I think I over-reacted a bit.. sorry.

IridiumStudios
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
No worries. :)

spiderlocmtgo
12-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I bought as well :)

Thijs908
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Best deal so far I bought in the sales, good work iridum

Cpryd001
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
wonk wonk. Apparently, they were mad.

Boo hoo. So mad the OP of this thread and the other are probably the same person.

Porcupeth
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Three or four other people in this thread have said they will buy the game, so I'm guessing not.

I had already bought it, i just thought it was a nice umad joke/provocation.

i ate a cat
12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Hilarious, and purchase'd.

Smeikle
12-27-2011, 04:58 PM

As others have stated, this is a ballsy move, but quite honestly, anyone who would demand a refund over the comment doesn't truly understand what they are doing.

How many developers have the balls to stand up like that (the "you mad" thing) and then state that if you don't like it, you can have your money back?

Secondly, to everyone complaining about the thread and spoiler being killed off, another question for you, how many devs do you know care enough about their game to do something like that? They put time and effort into making these things, and to have the answers spewed like that on the forums can be considered quite insulting to that time they put in, spoiler tags or not.

I came into this forum for the typical "is it worth it" thread, but after reading this, and the linked spoiler thread, -that- is why I am going to buy the game, and recommend it to those I associate with. Good job Iridium, and thanks for not being another cookie cutter EA wannabee clone.

ArslaanKS
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Damnit IridiumStudios, I demand you take my money!

Pattoe
12-27-2011, 05:43 PM
You know what, I like the idea that the people who developed my games aren't emotionless robots but are humans, with their own feelings who are passionate about the product which they developed for me.

The fact that the developer wants his game to be played in a certain way shows that they/he (Not sure if it's a single person production) are passionate about their game and have developed it in a certain way.

At the end of the day, the developer can act in any way they like, and will accept the consequences for it. This game is their baby, and they are proud of it, so I think that means we should be treating it with a little bit of respect.

You have to remember that games development isn't simply a manufacturing industry where products are made and shipped off to customers, you should think of it more as an artistic or crafts industry where an artist develops a work of art and entrusts that work of art to the customer... we see it in the arts industry quite often, where artists set very strict conditions over what can and can't be done with their works of art...

Anyways, I have huge respect for this developer, and I hope that he/they carry on behaving in the way that they see natural.

You've won a fan in me, Iridium!

Trindogshow
12-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Yo this game is chill. If you want a $1 refund for a game that easily can be played for more than a few hours then you need a mental evaluation.

Onyx3173
12-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Sometimes complaints are valid but one can't expect 100% satisfaction with every purchase. You win some you lose some, it's called LIFE. Deal with it. In this case its a game that cost customer $1.25-5.00 which took a ton of time and effort for the dev to make, probably a lot more than a few dollars worth.

EDIT: I praise the dev for not speaking in business English and instead speaking like a human being. That fake stuff is tiring and comes off as unapproachable. Some people need to grow some thicker skin and stop being crybabies. Half the reason I love indie games is because the devs are accessible and real.
But I gotta get all those achievements and I gotta get them right now and with as little effort as possible!!!

Honestly, achievements are only supposed to supplement the game and give a little more content with minimal effort and allow you a sense achievement when you earn a difficult to get one. Using a faq to get one basically completely negates what an achievement is meant for. (Although I'll admit even I've used faqs for some of the holiday achievements but those were generally less because I wanted the achievement and more because I wanted the prize for getting them. In the games that I do regularly play I didn't use a faq for them.)

G_nocid
12-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I loled

Nice one Irrudium :D

Thegreenthing16
12-27-2011, 07:42 PM

I applaud you, game is great! :cool:

unhappy_meal
12-27-2011, 08:09 PM
<--- Another new customer here :)

Eek!
12-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Hah, I too bought the game, partly from the sales advert (I must admit I'd not heard of it before), and partly because I like your style.

bomblechop
12-27-2011, 10:15 PM
I bought the game a few days ago since I like the sales pitch and really liked how you guys are active in the community. After reading through this thread I have to say I am impressed with iridium studios response and am happy to be supporting such a quality developer. It comes down to integrity which you guys have in ample supply. Also I hate rhythm games but love this! To anyone still on the fence about buying this game... Hop off the fence and get it ^^

Sillypiggy
12-27-2011, 10:31 PM

I would agree that as long as it isn't information needed to beat the game I see nothing wrong with not telling. Oh and since i'm here let me say that I really loved this game. It was the best 2.50$ I spent in a long time.

Sillypiggy
12-27-2011, 10:34 PM

You mad?

I'm going to buy another copy of the game just in spite of you.

BadPanda
12-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Pretty much all of these comments (except the ones against Iridium) explain how I feel about the situation. lulz

MrDanke
12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure anyone who thinks an internet meme is a good comeback, is smart enough to make a game worth owning.

Then again, I did just drop a whole $1.25 on it for an achievement, so I guess there's no point in arguing the fact either way.

Minttunator
12-27-2011, 11:12 PM
From this thread:

I am honestly shocked to see a representative of this games developer say something so rude and immature to someone here. On Christmas day.. Just because someone questioned his decision.

Thanks for posting this, I'm glad I checked out the forum before buying the game (which I now won't). I'm sure the developer won't miss my €1 but clearly there are others who feel that responding to a paying customer with a provocative internet meme is not cool. Sure, he was rude - but that's not an excuse to be unprofessional. :rolleyes:

TheResult
12-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Sure, he was rude - but that's not an excuse to be unprofessional. :rolleyes:

What makes a rude customer more acceptable than an unprofessional representative? The only real answer is, "money". One is paying money for the other's product- and people think that gives them the right to act like jackholes.

But the rep has offered refunds personally, and his response has actually gotten him more sales than not. So if you ask me, he had no good reason to be professional to that guy, because that guy did not deserve it. He stopped deserving a professional response when he, himself, stopped being civilized. You get what you give, and money doesn't change that.

IridiumStudios
12-28-2011, 12:24 AM
By the way, I'm not just a representative of Iridium Studios...I'm Jason Wishnov, creator of the game and head of the company. So it's not like someone is acting out of line with our company vision, or anything.

I'm just not a very serious dude. :cool:

Tomwyr
12-28-2011, 12:27 AM
By the way, I'm not just a representative of Iridium Studios...I'm Jason Wishnov, creator of the game and head of the company. So it's not like someone is acting out of line with our company vision, or anything.

I'm just not a very serious dude. :cool:

Ok. I'm convinced. I'll buy it *now*.

Lore T
12-28-2011, 12:39 AM
I for one find it incredibly amusing that so much fuss was created all over an achievement. Not a game breaking glitch, not a computer crashing bug, an optional achievement. It's a game and meant to be fun. It was pretty glaringly obvious to me that he was poking at people taking things waaaay to seriously.

Now, if he'd replied to this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2374461) like that, that'd be clear grounds for a ragefit. Otherwise, I say carry on.

Edit: Or of course he was anything like Paul from Ocean Marketing (http://penny-arcade.com/resources/just-wow1.html).

Julveyo
12-28-2011, 12:49 AM
By the way, I'm not just a representative of Iridium Studios...I'm Jason Wishnov
Who? Never herd of. Anyway, back to work! I need sequel, NAU!

P.s. Thnx for the great game, man.

PGuybrush
12-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Great Ocean Marketing sketch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqV9kx40RG0

halbarad_loire
12-28-2011, 01:19 AM
From this thread:

No effort to actually justify.. just an immature, provocative retort.

These holiday achievements are a joke, and in all other games people are working together and helping each other in the holiday spirit.

Apparently here it's a crime against humanity to get help, and the elitist mentality that prevails is "figure it out yourself", and even immature insults from an actual dev just because someone had the audacity to question their idiotic actions.

I'm very sorry I supported this game in any way. I'd return it right now if I could.

It's pathetic behavior.

Will this thread be deleted? Or locked? We'll see..

There's a big difference between "getting help" as you put it and being outright told the solution.

The person did nothing wrong and was completly justified. Was not rude in the slightest, was perfectly reasonable.

To be frank, if you are going to get so hurt over somebody trying to protect their product by not letting every man, woman, their dog and their dog's squeeky toy be able to simply cheat and look up a hand-wrote answer for something in their own product that they put their time and effort into making then you need to be looking elsewhere.
Also, we're not in a retail store where the rule is "The Customer is always right" (even though the customer is never right) so nobody has to pretend somebody being a complete and utter ♥♥♥♥ is right and the dev called him out on it.

Also, Jason Wishnov. Bet you Wish you nov' had that name!
O YEAH I WENT THERE i'm so sorry that was terrible :(

seaotters
12-28-2011, 02:07 AM
why u mad tho?

Shadovarn
12-28-2011, 02:14 AM
*buys game*
*complains on their forums bout how hard it is and how entitled I am as a customer*
*is always right*

Softspokenman
12-28-2011, 02:51 AM

so any one who has this game before this post can get it for free
and you go bankrupted to boot if they all do lol be careful what you say and very careful with what you put in writing

IridiumStudios
12-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Luckily, pretty much all of my customers are awesome. Not a single person has yet asked for their money back, though I'd be more than happy to give it.

Jinxer217
12-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Why would we want our money back?? Both you and your game are unique and awesome!! You dont get somthing like this everyday. And as much as I hate to admit it the Iris achievement made me think more than Portal 1 which made it worth WAY MORE than the $5 price tag IMO.

Sly_Squash
12-28-2011, 03:41 AM
On the contrary, take more of my money! I got the game for a dollar and I feel like I ripped you guys off. :<

DLC with new monsters, items, levels?

Eek!
12-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Then again, I did just drop a whole $1.25 on it for an achievement, so I guess there's no point in arguing the fact either way.Regardless of price, you actually buy games just for achievements? Aaahaha, "congrats".

Dryk
12-28-2011, 08:37 AM

You mad?
It's $1.50, I doubt he'll lose much sleep over it

DocShady
12-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I think I over-reacted a bit.. sorry.

I don't think you did. Just because some peoples opinion differs from yours, it doesn't mean your totally wrong.

A situation like this depends on the content and the players involved. You may have recently heard of the situation involving the avenger controller and the PR firm who was working with the company. The PR person, who is essentially a rep for the company he is providing services for got into it big time with a customer.

♥♥♥♥ hit the fan and by the time it was over, Penny Arcade was involved, this guys career was over, and the company, who had no involvement in the situation, is suffering as a result (take a look at their amazon ratings for the controller in question, they've fallen like 3 and a half points over night).

I'm not criticizing you for your comment, Jason. I'm just saying you have to be careful when dealing with a customer base. You've got a good thing going here. You have a great game available on steam, and simply for that fact, a lot of users will blindly overlook your indiscretions. You never know when it could turn into the above situation.

Personally I love it when a company rep (no less the owner) interacts with his games community. Keep that up and you'll always have a supporter in me.

I will be playing Sequence simply because its a good game.

gimpymoo
12-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Me too - lol

Pattoe
12-28-2011, 09:16 AM
It's $1.50, I doubt he'll lose much sleep over it

Well, he'd get even less than that, since steam takes a cut of the profits and since he had such a low budget, I will assume that he signed some royalty deals with some of the music artists, although I can't be sure of that.

The thing which iridium is gained from this even more than anything else is recognition and a fan base. Meaning the games lifespan will be extended as friends recommend the game full price, or gift it, to their friends... and also fans will look into future releases by the developer...

One thing which fans of indie games do is check up on their favourite developers often to see what they have in the pipeline, I know it's something I do, and something ill be doing with iridium.

Stadler
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I was thinking that those crazy sales for 75% were not that profitable, but after reading this thread ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ wasn't I wrong!

Stryk
12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Most people turned off by the attitude moved on and didn't waste time to post. Good Luck.

Wilk Freeman
12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh god I'm loving you guys more and more. You're profession but not at the same time.

DoomMetalDarryl
12-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Thank you. I read this entire thread (and the "NOPE" thread), and the riddle is intriguing to me. I am not good at riddles. I've never played DDR games. I'm also not good at arcade-type games. I prefer RTS, and I'm improving to the rank of Not-So-Horrible at FPS.

But I bought your game, because I want to figure out this riddle that is being talked about.

MrDanke
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Regardless of price, you actually buy games just for achievements? Aaahaha, "congrats".

Yeah,it sure is silly to buy one game for an achievement, and see if I like it at all in the process. I suppose I could just throw money at EA or Activision instead.

I'll be sure to tell people to not buy this company's games in the future, though. Just because of you. Because you're special.

UMS
12-28-2011, 12:30 PM

same, picking it up now. well-played. ;)

Whiplashr
12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
My most successful thread on SPUF.. and it's gotta be this.. sigh.

Please let me explain. I'm sorry I made this post.

I was just irritated when I came to this forum to see what the word was on the holiday achievement. I found the thread in question, and was shocked to see that the guy from IridiumStudios had edited out the content, and even more blown away he said "you mad" to someone.

Looking around more, I could see there was a bit of an elitist attitude surrounding this achievement, and it made me angry, because most people are just helping each other get achievements for the sale, etc.. I thought this was being far too snobish. I understand the pride in the puzzle.. but seriously, it's just a game and it's the holiday season. I see no reason for such pompous elitism.

Save the interesting and tough puzzles for general game content. Not casual holiday sales.

But what really set me off was the "you mad" line. I am sorry for starting this thread, and I definitely over reacted.. yet I still think that line was wholly unprofessional and immature for an official company rep.

I didn't expect this to turn into this big of a debate. I'm over it. I figured it out, and got the achievement, and I actually do find the game kind of fun.

I retract what I said about being sorry I supported this game. And I apologize for over-reacting.

But I do still think that comment was out of line. I am not even suggesting it's an attitude he shouldn't have. I'm sure that many people in many development circles absolutely hate a bunch of stuff and feel this way about many things.. they just know better than to actually say it, pubically, to a customer.

And I'm not the least bit surprised this impressed some of you.

I'm sorry I made this thread.

SageOfTheWise
12-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Save the interesting and tough puzzles for general game content. Not casual holiday sales.
It was. The achievement that you have been arguing about is not the holiday achievement. It was a completely unrelated end game achievement.

DGMan54
12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
My most successful thread on SPUF.. and it's gotta be this.. sigh.

I'm sorry I made this thread.

Whiplashr, you really should put an edit in your OP clarifying things. At 6 pages most people won't read through the whole thread and will totally miss the confusion.

This is a great game, and a thread like this could hurt sales which it doesn't deserve.

Talonkarrde
01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
I think you say 'company rep' as if he's an official PR guy, when in fact he's a one-man (well, one of two) indie developer. Which is to say that I think Jonathan Blow and Chris Hecker and pretty much every indie dev I can think of has certainly said similar things, so I don't see what there is to get so bent out of shape about.

Especially because, you know, 'you mad' isn't quite in the same vein as Paul Christodonthaveajobanymoro. I happen to think that having a bit of a personality and a sense of humor, especially of people that just /don't get it/, is not a bad thing.

IridiumStudios
01-02-2012, 01:43 AM
I think you say 'company rep' as if he's an official PR guy, when in fact he's a one-man (well, one of two) indie developer. Which is to say that I think Jonathan Blow and Chris Hecker and pretty much every indie dev I can think of has certainly said similar things, so I don't see what there is to get so bent out of shape about.

Especially because, you know, 'you mad' isn't quite in the same vein as Paul Christodonthaveajobanymoro. I happen to think that having a bit of a personality and a sense of humor, especially of people that just /don't get it/, is not a bad thing.
Star Wars EU fan right here. ^^

SquidTheSid
01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Do you know the mayor of Boston?

Guys, I have a solution, we should all throw our money at Iridium, the more we throw, the better.

Cesar101
01-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I might buy this game just because of the "you mad" response.

Grimmwold
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM

I suck at it too, but I bought it. It's sad that most western companies simply cannot make a good bemani-type game game(they come from Japan or Korea).

In Japanese arcades I lurked, watching for "teh awesomez". I caught two maids in Akihabara blasting "Tatsujin no Taiko" and if I'd died then, I'd have died fufilled(One was SUPER CUTE and obviously knew how to play taiko drums). Kudos to Iridium for birthing this gem, which I'm pretty sure the Japanese would approve of it(The Koreans would complain about it being super easy and not taking 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 hours of grinding probably)

semtex43
01-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Indeed I would too. But it was already insta-bought after watching the amazing store page trailer.

I agree with the poster above that the original post should be edited by the original poster due to his change of views that we could see in his latest post here.

turtalater
01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
I think keeping the joy of obtaining an achievement isn't too bad of an ideal, really. Also, the guy's offer on the first page of this thread *IS* pretty good.

Onyx3173
01-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I would if I hadn't been gifted it for Christmas by a friend who thought I'd like it. (They were right, I've actually played it more than Prototype even though I've wanted Prototype far longer.)

MQQSE
01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
A team that actually cares about people not cheating to play the game? With hilarious advertizements? And all that on top of a fantastic game?

Bravo Iridium. Bravo.

pratzstrike
01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
I love this game. It takes me back to the days when I'd spend hours playing Dance With Intensity. I set it to Hard my first time through and so far I've only lost one fight. (Tell Caleb to go **** himself. Maybe it was just that Disorganized Fun was SO FAST compared to everything else so far. I dunno if I 'lost' lost, though - I had more HP than he did when the song ended.) If there's a hidden riddle in the game like this, I'm going to make a point to solve it without any outside help, because this game is awesome enough to deserve it.

n00bicide
02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
to everyone saying its okay since i was rude first: i said "♥♥♥♥ move", if you consider a single cuss word to be enough to have my argument thrown out and childish memes justified i think you lead a very sheltered life.

of course i was mad, there are few things more insulting in this world than having your forum post deleted. my post was spoiler tagged and posted for the sole purpose of helping others.

Jason, the reason you havnt had any refund requests isnt because everyone thinks its ok to say "you mad" to a customer, its because your game is ♥♥♥♥ing brilliant. and i have to agree with the sentiment that its great that youre so involved in these forums and your studio has a real person as its public face not some robotic pr guy. youre probably a really cool guy in person, and " you mad" is a hilarious way to ignore moron internet trolls online.

but jesus ♥♥♥♥ing christ man, show some god damned professionalism and think long and hard next time you consider dealing with an upset customer by effectively telling them to ♥♥♥♥ off. ask Paul Christoforo of ocean marketing about how well that can turn out.

i will continue playing your game and recommend it to friends, and even buy the sequel if you make one. because i support quality videogames, not because i support your attitude towards your critics.

Lezotho
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
to everyone saying its okay since i was rude first: i said "d-i-c-k move", if you consider a single cuss word to be enough to have my argument thrown out and childish memes justified i think you lead a very sheltered life.

of course i was mad, there are few things more insulting in this world than having your forum post deleted. my post was spoiler tagged and posted for the sole purpose of helping others.

Jason, the reason you havnt had any refund requests isnt because everyone thinks its ok to say "you mad" to a customer, its because your game is ♥♥♥♥ing brilliant. and i have to agree with the sentiment that its great that youre so involved in these forums and your studio has a real person as its public face not some robotic pr guy. youre probably a really cool guy in person, and " you mad" is a hilarious way to ignore moron internet trolls online.

but jesus ♥♥♥♥ing christ man, show some god damned professionalism and think long and hard next time you consider dealing with an upset customer by effectively telling them to ♥♥♥♥ off. ask Paul Christoforo of ocean marketing about how well that can turn out.

i will continue playing your game and recommend it to friends, and even buy the sequel if you make one. because i support quality videogames, not because i support your attitude towards your critics.

You mad

DrHojo123
02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
i like Iridium Studios and all its staff there makeing games for fun and the made the iris Achivement fun to figure out Sequence is the frist game on steam to have 100% on i didnt cheat of any of the achivemnts i just played the game the iris one i looked up hints but not the soloution i soon found it out isnt that hard if you dont overthink it

Cpryd001
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
I like Iridium Studios' attitude with it because frankly, who cares? In the intro to the game, they have a conversation about snorting coke. That tells me that Iridium Studios' is just a bunch of guys with a sarcastic sense of humor.

They don't have to bend over backwards for you. If you're not in for the ride, then maybe they're not making games for you.

And don't even compare them to Christoforo. Christoforo was horrible at customer service and a overall prick. OP and defenders of OP just seem incredibly sensitive.

Dryk
02-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I like Iridium Studios' attitude with it because frankly, who cares? In the intro to the game, they have a conversation about snorting coke. That tells me that Iridium Studios' is just a bunch of guys with a sarcastic sense of humor.
Have you ever seen the NeoGAF post about Scribblenauts with the dinosaurs and robot zombies? "Iridium Studios" is basically that poster and a few other people underneath him.

darkhunt333
02-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Lol. Buying a couple copies just because the Dev owned you. Good to see him having fun with his work and not the usual robotic response.

Onyx3173
02-20-2012, 02:25 PM
That's really not exactly what I would call insulting. He had a reason to delete the post after all. Not like he just went, "Oh hey, this post looks like it'd be fun to delete!"

setzway
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
*sigh* I thought we were over this?

HolyQuebec
02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
why isnt this thread locked or deleted already. we all get it; dev has a good sense of humour, OP is mad(sorry, shocked.)

IridiumStudios
02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Fair enough.