PDA

View Full Version : What is the penalty for ban evading?

polecya
12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I searched the forums for an answer but was nevertheless a futile effort.

joeylawn
12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I searched the forums for an answer but was nevertheless a futile effort.

You get Shot and Sent to the Russian Front.

Old Hogan's Heroes joke - please don't ban me....

Seriously, they have the ability to block via IP address and other means....

polecya
12-28-2011, 05:02 PM

I have never heard if this must be a game with a rather niche community.

joeylawn
12-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I have never heard if this must be a game with a rather niche community.

look at the spoiler

trojanrabbit.gg
12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I believe you would be subject the double tap.

HammerLegionary
12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Sometimes a ban. Sometimes nothing.
Generally though they will be more strict with you.
I once asked a mod and he said.
Generally a ban evader won't be given the same number of chances as someone on their first account. If someone was banned for breaking the rules and then they return and continue breaking the rules, we're less likely to just give them 4 infraction points, as is the usual number and we'd be more inclined to give them 10 straight up.

Few people are ever banned on sight for ban evasion, if they are, they've done something to achieve that reputation.
(I figure he'll be fine with me sharing his PM, since it's about policies)

Although one of my accounts was banned immediately after I came back.

polecya
12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
look at the spoiler

Never really liked looking at spoilers, I tender myself to be an adventurer and seek my own answers.

Oh ok it's an old TV show, way to old for me and sitcoms tend to be a rather of a bore to me, especially if it was one of those late 70s shows.

bluz74
12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
You get put in the "box" with Modiga for and hour and a half.

Ban evaders get banned again if they return to soon. They seem to allow you to return after some time, but I'm sure that's depends on what you did to get banned in the first place.

smash
12-28-2011, 05:11 PM
We usually ban the new accounts created by the evader. Sometimes an admin will have to step in and tell that person they're not allowed to register anymore. If they persist still, I think an admin will contact the users ISP.

iltsoc
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
We usually ban the new accounts created by the evader. Sometimes an admin will have to step in and tell that person they're not allowed to register anymore. If they persist still, I think an admin will contact the users ISP.

What will contacting someones ISP do?

polecya
12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
You get put in the "box" with Modiga for and hour and a half.

Ban evaders get banned again if they return to soon. They seem to allow you to return after some time, but I'm sure that's depends on what you did to get banned in the first place.

Did you create a bunch of accounts and like a pyramid scheme you just kept dumping reputation points into your account. Of course since 0 rep point accounts give like 1 rep, you used your rich reputation point account to rep those 0 rep accounts to give them some more power.

With that newly found power you used those rep accounts to fill your account again and make it more richer. Then rinse and repeat. Of course this was all done over a course of a week or perhaps a year.

What if they use a proxy or connect by a proxy?

wildfire678
12-28-2011, 05:18 PM
What will contacting someones ISP do?

Depends on the infraction, but some ISP's will kill your account whilst still holding you to the remaining contract if serious enough, others may simply ignore steam but most will have intermediate measures.

polecya
12-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Depends on the infraction, but some ISP's will kill your account whilst still holding you to the remaining contract if serious enough, others may simply ignore steam but most will have intermediate measures.

I hate to be cynical in these matters but I highly doubt a volunteer moderator for a gaming forum, nevertheless, has any clout on whether a paying customer gets his line cut.

No offense moderators.

Ultima V|RUZ
12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Death.

I mean an instaban, sorry.

iltsoc
12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I hate to be cynical in these matters but I highly doubt a volunteer moderator for a gaming forum, nevertheless, has any clout on whether a paying customer gets his line cut.

No offense moderators.

That's what I was thinking. why would an ISP lose money because somebody doesnt like their customer?

JayceM
12-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Smash said admin, though, meaning a Valve employee.

wildfire678
12-28-2011, 05:31 PM

No offense moderators.

I based my reply on what was posted earlier ie it would be an admin that would report to the ISP, and an Admin of one of the largest forums on the internet won't be taken lightly.

Obviously the ISP in question would look at the evidence and if the infraction is serious enough (unlawful, breaking ISP's T&C's etc) they would take appropriate action.

polecya
12-28-2011, 05:33 PM
That's what I was thinking. why would an ISP lose money because somebody doesnt like their customer?

Even in extreme cases of piracy or a breach of contract, I have heard customers getting a slap on the wrists or a letter of cease and desist.

Matt
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
The answer to your question is right there within the forum rules thread.

V. Lifetime Achievement Award:
Users who are found to be repeat offenders will be removed from the forums.

wildfire678
12-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Because if it's unlawful, the ISP could face in a lengthy court battle, best to get rid rather than go through that.

ChocoBalls
12-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I based my reply on what was posted earlier ie it would be an admin that would report to the ISP, and an Admin of one of the largest forums on the internet won't be taken lightly.

Obviously the ISP in question would look at the evidence and if the infraction is serious enough (unlawful, breaking ISP's T&C's etc) they would take appropriate action.

The Steam forums are a drop in the ocean of the internet. I highly doubt any major ISP would treat an intervention request from Valve with any kind of serious inspection. Those kinds of "bully tactics" might work with local internet providers, but if pirating isn't involved the big guys really don't give a rat's ♥♥♥.

It normally isn't the job of the ISPs to police the internet, especially when it comes to privately-run forums.

Snorkel
12-28-2011, 05:59 PM

I know that wouldn't even be legal here, and I doubt it would in many countries.

Just no.

Forums do use IP bans, that's about the limit of their powers.

marie pavie
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
They send your real name to PETA.

Europhoria
12-28-2011, 06:55 PM

I SEE NUHSINK!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=27s) :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Technogeek1994
12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Crushing's too good for such as them. First they'll spend a year in the incinerator. Year two: Cryogenic refrigeration wing. Then TEN years in the chamber GLaDOS built where all the robots scream at you. THEN they will be killed.

ThePerson5
12-28-2011, 07:19 PM
They send your real name to PETA.

No, not that, that's too cruel. :eek:

malmute
12-28-2011, 07:33 PM

What other means? IP blocking is trivial to defeat. Some sites used to block via supercookies in flash because they were hidden cookies but that is easy to defeat too. Only method they could use is "fingerprinting" a users system but that is well beyond steps most sites use and even that can be messed with.

Rebel44
12-28-2011, 07:52 PM

ISPs dont give a ♥♥♥♥ (I work for ISP and know people who handle such complaints). Only in serious cases (mostly hacking) user will be warned not to do it again.

Because if it's unlawful, the ISP could face in a lengthy court battle, best to get rid rather than go through that.

:rolleyes:

LOL

wildfire678
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
ISPs dont give a ♥♥♥♥ (I work for ISP and know people who handle such complaints). Only in serious cases (mostly hacking) user will be warned not to do it again.

:rolleyes:

LOL

I worked for a major service provider here Rebel and can assure you accounts were suspended on an hourly basis due to reports from elsewhere. Unfortunately many of them were victims of worms (handled automatically) but quite a few were due to feedback from other users.

You can LOL all you want.

Europhoria
12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Funny how everybody has worked for or currently works in a major ISP...

wildfire678
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Europhoria, I completely understand your scepticism and unfortunately I cannot prove that I did, such is the nature of t'internet.

bdmason
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Never worked for an ISP, but I did have access to the central networking hub for Eugene, OR (which is a major hub for a majority of Oregon). That room was built to withstand a terrorist attack and had bulletproof glass and everything. It was neat. It's in the basement of one of the buildings on the UofO campus. Akamai has a small datafarm there as well (right next to the hub, makes sense).

ThatoneJeff
12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Death.

What's the difference?

GirlPower23
12-28-2011, 08:36 PM

But there are quite a few people who ban evade.. but are still around? Is there some exceptions or something?

joeylawn
12-28-2011, 08:55 PM
What other means? IP blocking is trivial to defeat. Some sites used to block via supercookies in flash because they were hidden cookies but that is easy to defeat too. Only method they could use is "fingerprinting" a users system but that is well beyond steps most sites use and even that can be messed with.

I'm sure they have "vays"....

Matt
12-28-2011, 08:58 PM
But there are quite a few people who ban evade.. but are still around? Is there some exceptions or something?

Either that or we just haven't caught them.

HellJumper
12-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Sometimes it's just a huge misunderstanding, and then Burton comes in and clears everything up :D

bdmason
12-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Sometimes it's just a huge misunderstanding, and then Burton comes in and clears everything up :D

I thought he just snickers at everyone?

cegrogan
12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought he just snickers at everyone?

Delicious :)

joeylawn
12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I thought he just.............

*removes sunglasses*

..........Snickers® at everyone?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!1

fixed it 4 ya....

KuranesDreamer
12-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the OP asks this because he is an alt of a banned user? :p

T@T-2-MoNk3y
12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
:shiftyeyes:

Tigerboy_
12-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Death.

*snaps fingers in disappointment* Dang...

Europhoria
12-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the OP asks this because he is an alt of a banned user? :p

That or they have 8 infraction points.

Frigid
12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Public hanging, I'm afraid.

Whatus
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Well... They get to choose Poontah... Or Death!

Bearkin
12-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Death... by snoosnoo.

AgentVamp
12-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Your head is chopped off to a certain point of where you can still run around aimlessly like a headless chicken.

bessent
12-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Death... by snoosnoo.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Muraz
12-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Every time someone evades a ban, Gabe puts Episode 3 back by a day.

sdaniels7114
12-29-2011, 06:20 AM
I think you really have to define the term.

Every time I

Don't post a link to a pirate site or
Don't make fun of one of the mods' moms or
Don't claim to be Gabe

I'm, in fact, evading a ban
from a certain point of view anyway.

psihomir2
12-29-2011, 06:37 AM

Getting banned from a forum is as far from unlawful as you can get so I highly doubt anyone has ever gotten in trouble from SPUF admins contacting their ISP :)

chaplain_wu
12-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Probably because there are a lot of reasons for "ban evasion".

I mean asking to come back under an alter ego or offered a diff profile than unbanning, might be a bit different than making a new profile five minutes after being instabanned for posting child pron links, just to do it again.

I always thought it was straightforward and logical enough to not need t be set in stone. Then again the rules do exist.

Muraz
12-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Getting banned from a forum is as far from unlawful as you can get so I highly doubt anyone has ever gotten in trouble from SPUF admins contacting their ISP :)
Depends what you're doing. Harassment is unlawful, so if you're ban-evading for that purpose, you could very well land in trouble with your ISP for it.

joeylawn
12-29-2011, 08:49 AM

Every time I

Don't claim to be Gabe

i ceee whut u did thar

Technogeek1994
12-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Every time I

Don't claim to be Gabe

Master Obi-Wan Kenobi?????

Jokes aside, very good point.

+rep

rotNdude
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
The penalty is you got banned again.