PDA

View Full Version : Best Steam games for a Laptop?

kingcon345
12-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Hey whatsup everyone, I was wondering what the best steam games are that my Laptop would be able to run are?
At the moment I own-
Terraria
Team Fortress 2
both of these games are decent but begin to get boring after a whil what are some other good steam games I could run fine on my laptop? (Specs below)
I can buy the games aswell..

My laptop specs-
Windows 7
Intel Core i3 Processor, 2.1 GHz
4GB RAM
Intel(R) HD graphics family
--------------------------------------------------

I checked on this site- http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx
it said my laptop could run GTA San andreas...? Is that 100% true? i dont want to buy it if it wont work :l Im just worried about my graphics card as it is an integrated one, although everything else is decent.
Thanks

stinkytaco
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Get the retail version of teh old GTA games, the steam versions have been spacifically modified so they will NOT run any mods..

Want to try Multi-theft auto? No way in hell with steam.

No wonder so many kids become dishonest when they acquire games. When they do the right thing , and pay for the games they get ripped off.

meteo.
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Dungeon Defenders is rather addictive and would probably run okay. :)
DLC is not a pre-req the base game has plenty of content.

Has been a little cheaper then it is now but if steam has the usual 'encore' day tomorrow it will probably appear again.

bbd23
12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
is that the intel hd 3000? if so it can play a lot of fairly new games on low.

if its just intel hd take a look at this guys youtube channel. he tests a bunch of games on that graphics card
http://www.youtube.com/user/murutattack/videos?view=u

I Suggest trine. i just bought it and it is really fun.

occono
12-31-2011, 02:17 PM
It'll play San Andreas fine. The Daily sale just ended, though....

Aiyeris
12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
San Andreas isn't a demanding game at all, you'll be able to run it.

PixelBlaster
12-31-2011, 02:43 PM
dungeon defenders? and other indie games

minecraft as well,it's not a steam game tho.

tomdelada
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
My lappy has the same graphics card and RAM as yours, but a slightly more powerful CPU (2.5 instead of 2.1GHz) and it can handle San Andreas without a hitch. I can't see you having any major problems.

As to game choices, well... What do you like? I can run Skyrim on low-medium, most games older than 2007 don't pose a problem so there's probably plenty to dip your toes into. The biggest problem I find is the trackpad, which makes certain games (like KOTOR) quite fiddly to control.

kingcon345
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM
My lappy has the same graphics card and RAM as yours, but a slightly more powerful CPU (2.5 instead of 2.1GHz) and it can handle San Andreas without a hitch. I can't see you having any major problems.

As to game choices, well... What do you like? I can run Skyrim on low-medium, most games older than 2007 don't pose a problem so there's probably plenty to dip your toes into. The biggest problem I find is the trackpad, which makes certain games (like KOTOR) quite fiddly to control.

I have brought a wireless mouse, I have a feeling I could play san andreas on steam. and are you Serious? I can play Skyrim on this graphics card? Im not sure whether its 3000

Although I just downloaded Bioshock demo and it played on medium settings fine e:D

tomdelada
12-31-2011, 06:50 PM
I confess to not being an expert when it comes to computers, but I'm fairly certain we're both running a similar chipset. Mine is first generation i3 with, I think, the Intel HD 3000 card mentioned by bbd23. I'll post the exact specs later on, when it's not stupid o'clock in this part of the world ;)

Edit: Ok, my specs are Intel Core i3 CPU M380 @ 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics card (How do I check if it's the 3000 or not?) with up to 1696MB of RAM.

Well, I can't promise anything, sadly, but from the looks of it Skyrim has pretty low requirements anyway so if you feel like risking it go ahead (though personally I'd wait for a price reduction just so you don't lose too much money if it turns sour) Also, I hear there is a mod out there that lowers Skyrim's requirements even further, though I've not used it myself and I think graphics quality takes a real hit. Some kind person may be able to provide you with more info and a link.

Don't try running Batman: Arkham Asylum though. I tried the demo and, while the game looks pretty enough, it plays like Bats is walking through molasses ;) I also want to try The Witcher 2 but frankly don't feel brave enough to push my luck quite THAT far ;) Generally, check the specs of the game, don't go way overboard and you should be ok. I've had some issues with some games (Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, for example, apparently that's a buggy, badly-ported game anyway) but mostly everything runs fine, though it may not be the prettiest. Minecraft is a total no-go though, it CTD's every time... On the other hand, despite what it says on the store page about having issues with some integrated chipsets Trine works like a charm, so make of that what you will. The best thing to do would be to grab demos wherever you can and check what works and what doesn't.

I hope all of this was at least some help to you. Sorry if it seems like I'm waffling but it's 3am here so my thought processes aren't as clear as they should be ;) if you have any more questions, let me know and I'll help if I can.

kingcon345
01-01-2012, 07:28 AM
I confess to not being an expert when it comes to computers, but I'm fairly certain we're both running a similar chipset. Mine is first generation i3 with, I think, the Intel HD 3000 card mentioned by bbd23. I'll post the exact specs later on, when it's not stupid o'clock in this part of the world ;)

Edit: Ok, my specs are Intel Core i3 CPU M380 @ 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics card (How do I check if it's the 3000 or not?) with up to 1696MB of RAM.

Well, I can't promise anything, sadly, but from the looks of it Skyrim has pretty low requirements anyway so if you feel like risking it go ahead (though personally I'd wait for a price reduction just so you don't lose too much money if it turns sour) Also, I hear there is a mod out there that lowers Skyrim's requirements even further, though I've not used it myself and I think graphics quality takes a real hit. Some kind person may be able to provide you with more info and a link.

Don't try running Batman: Arkham Asylum though. I tried the demo and, while the game looks pretty enough, it plays like Bats is walking through molasses ;) I also want to try The Witcher 2 but frankly don't feel brave enough to push my luck quite THAT far ;) Generally, check the specs of the game, don't go way overboard and you should be ok. I've had some issues with some games (Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, for example, apparently that's a buggy, badly-ported game anyway) but mostly everything runs fine, though it may not be the prettiest. Minecraft is a total no-go though, it CTD's every time... On the other hand, despite what it says on the store page about having issues with some integrated chipsets Trine works like a charm, so make of that what you will. The best thing to do would be to grab demos wherever you can and check what works and what doesn't.

I hope all of this was at least some help to you. Sorry if it seems like I'm waffling but it's 3am here so my thought processes aren't as clear as they should be ;) if you have any more questions, let me know and I'll help if I can.

I decided to risk it and buy Gta san andreas,

I have played gta for over an hour on highest settings and have had 0 lag, it has run perfectly on high settings :P I love it haha!

I think I might jump in at the deep end and go for far Cry 2 next, see if that works :p or maybe L4D2 :O

tomdelada
01-01-2012, 07:44 AM
I decided to risk it and buy Gta san andreas,

I have played gta for over an hour on highest settings and have had 0 lag, it has run perfectly on high settings :P I love it haha!

I think I might jump in at the deep end and go for far Cry 2 next, see if that works :p or maybe L4D2 :O

Glad to hear it. ;) And have fun!