PDA

View Full Version : Flickering Lights

lawofthesaw
12-31-2011, 05:38 PM
I was wondering if someone could help on this and I apologize if this is a very stupid question, as I am extremely new to this.

I am making a horror map with some variety on the lighting and such. I used a florescent light prop for a flickering light entity that I placed. How do you make the light bulb flicker along with the light?

Thanks in advance! :)

Punishment
12-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Light entities should have a parameter called "appearance" which will allow you to choose from some pre-set flickers. If those don't suit you, you can use a logic_timer and outputs to manually turn off and on a light.

lawofthesaw
12-31-2011, 06:33 PM
I think I phrased that wrong. I already have my light_entity the way I like it. There are two different skins for the prop that I am using as the light bulb. One is lit, and one is unlit. What I am trying to do is have the two skins change with the flickering from my light_entity. Is that actually possible or is there something different I need to do?

CrAzYpotpie
01-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Make your light model a "prop_dynamic" and look around the different inputs it can receive. Should be one like "set skin" or something or other.

Punishment
01-01-2012, 08:51 AM
I think I phrased that wrong. I already have my light_entity the way I like it. There are two different skins for the prop that I am using as the light bulb. One is lit, and one is unlit. What I am trying to do is have the two skins change with the flickering from my light_entity. Is that actually possible or is there something different I need to do?

If you want to time it exactly, you'll have to use a logic_timer which sends outputs to both the light entity and prop. As Crazypotpie said, you will need to use the "set skin" output for the prop.