View Full Version : Multiplayer & other questions
01-01-2012, 08:07 AM
I am interested in Nexus but would like a few questions answered.
1) Looking at the game its seem to be a mix of strategy, rpg and RTS. What is it most like?
2) What do you do in the multiplayer? Is it co-op missions, free world etc?
3) I read some place that the multiplayer does not work as the game is old ish. Is this correct?
Also what is the game like in general? Good, bad, just ok?
01-13-2012, 04:03 PM
First, I don't own the Steam version of Nexus, I own the original retail version. However, I'll try to answer your questions.
1) The best way to describe the game is as a Fleet Simulator, but it is considered to be part of the real-time tactics genre.
2) The RPG elements of this game really only exist in singleplayer. Game modes include a co-op mode against the cpu, deathmatch, and team deathmatch. There are a few more modes but to be quite honest I don't remember ever playing them, since the online multiplayer 6 - 7 years ago was really bad. Especially since back then quite a few people were still on dialup. Overall, the multiplayer is less tactical than singleplayer, and mostly consists of jumping in ships to take out your enemies. You can customize your ships before deploying, but you can't save configurations. The team gets a certain amount of requisition points and deploying ships uses that until it's completely expended at which point ships can't be deployed anymore.
3) Online multiplayer for this game is dead. I can't speak for the Steam version, but the server for retail Nexus doesn't seem to exist anymore. If you can find people who play this, then you can probably use tunngle to play with them over virtual lan though (the game actually does have a room on tunngle already, although I haven't seen anyone in it).
Overall, the game is good. The singleplayer is challenging and sure to give you a headache at least once, if not more. The story is a bit out there but it's not bad. Obviously, don't get it for the multiplayer; although fun, it's nearly impossible to find players for it now-a-days. This is one of the few games I still get nostalgic for and fumble around in the closet to find it's discs.
Hope that answers your questions.
PS: If you get this game, play with the manual controls as soon as you can, since using them make the game a lot easier, and the auto controls simply don't take full advantage of your ship's specs.
01-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Yeah, don't get it for the multiplayer, except you already have some friends to play it with. The master server is down, so you won't be able to find any games online - the only way to play the game on the internet is to use tools like Tunngle or Hamachi with the game's LAN mode. This pretty much requires you to schedule games in advance with other Nexus players or else noone will know about your game.
The singleplayer is excellent, however. It's basically a tactical fleet simulator with you controlling a handful of customizable ships through all kinds of interesting missions. Besides the good story mode, which might easily last you 20+ hours, there are tons of mods around. Most only offer skirmish-type battles with ships and weapons from other sci-fi universes, like Star Trek, Stargate, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica or Freespace... some mods also offer scripted story missions.
Since the game is so cheap nowadays, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone interested in Sci-Fi space battles.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.