PDA

View Full Version : Hope a lot of people experience it for 2.50

LordGurciullo
01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm constantly amazed at how many people find certain things to be unworthy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In my eye DreamKiller was a fantastic little shooter and for 2.50 is a no brainer. I paid 20 (I believe) when it first came out and enjoyed every second of it. I wish games of this nature were popular like cod (which I don't like), and we could see the multi million dollar versions of games like these.

This is a game for someone who plays shooters for a challenge (they way they were meant to be played). It is a pure shooter in a box. If your into painkiller or Serious Sam or Hard Reset, this is right up your alley. It is extremely difficult and it is one of the few shooters of its kind to incorporate headshots. The weapons are varied enough and the teleport game mechanic was fantastic. Ofcourse it is not a Huge Triple A title, and has certain minor issues.

It saddens me to here people saying this is awful.

At 2.50 you lose nothing. Get it!

aegix drakan
01-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Despite hearing about how bad the game was, I picked it up.

For $2.50? Yeah, I'm sure I can get $2.50 worth of entertainment form this. It looks like a crazy no-hold-barred chaotic shooter. I like that! I don't care if it's not top of the line. It's 3 freakin bucks!

And since I'm not willing to grab the new Serious sam game at the current price, then this will have to do until that game gets cheaper, or I can get someone to trade it to me (potentially for the winter coupons that I have little to no use for)

Iconoclast XVII
01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
The few levels I played were more fun than Halo ever was.

Mokas
01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
The game is limited to 40fps

I've got the most recent official set, 195.62 I think.

Anyways, I did find a fix for the choppyness. Insert these lines in your my documents > aspyr > dreamkiller > config.txt file

maximum_desired_frame_rate = 61
minimum_desired_frame_rate = 60

Voila, the game runs smoothly and I can play it without getting a headache.

I still had drops to 30fps, Its solved turning off dinamyc lights.

d4n1p3
01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I really enjoyed the game during a free weekend offer... instant buy for me :)

abort_user
01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
i picked it up for the sale price. im really enjoying it so far. its really intense. there are so many enemies. it all seems hopeless but you feel so much better when you succeed. i really love the teleport too.

keres993
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
It was quite alright when I did the free weekend a few years ago - much like how Painkiller is. Nice and old school. For $2.50, you don't really have much to lose. I don't think you possibly "hate" a game that you wasted pocket change on. Worst case scenario, you sigh and go on living. Otherwise you are entertained for a little while.

Chubz123
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Looks terrible based on this footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMX7LvHioM). Thanks, but no thanks.

aegix drakan
01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
It was quite alright when I did the free weekend a few years ago - much like how Painkiller is. Nice and old school. For $2.50, you don't really have much to lose. I don't think you possibly "hate" a game that you wasted pocket change on. Worst case scenario, you sigh and go on living. Otherwise you are entertained for a little while.

Yeah, spending 2.50 on a game that I can play for a few hours (even if it turns out meh), I can deal with no problem.

But I am still upset at Civ 5! I picked it up for 10 bucks, started playing, thought it was kinda meh...AND THEN A FEW WEEKS LATER Galcactic Civs 2 comes out on Steam. Which was the game I had wanted in the first place, and had inspired me to pick up Civ 5, since Gal Civ 2 wasn't on steam yet.....I was so jarateed.

Edit: Wait...Jarateed? I didn't type th-....Oh....HAHAHAHA, clever forums. I applaud this. XD

chmerchor
01-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Looks terrible based on this footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMX7LvHioM). Thanks, but no thanks.

Dont see nothing terrible in that video...too much hate for this game lol

Chubz123
01-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Dont see nothing terrible in that video...too much hate for this game lol

I suppose you must have high standards like me to see the many things wrong about the game in that video. The Metacritic score really speaks for itself, plus it doesn't look like it even holds a candle to games with the same formula that are actually solid all the way around (ala Serious Sam and Painkiller).

abort_user
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
The Metacritic score really speaks for itself

you lose all credibility there.

techstormster
01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
This is Pissed. I look at his face and knew he was pissed. Pissed all over his face.

breadtruck
01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
For $2.50? Yeah, I'm sure I can get $2.50 worth of entertainment form this.

And since I'm not willing to grab the new Serious sam game at the current price, then this will have to do until that game gets cheaper, or I can get someone to trade it to me (potentially for the winter coupons that I have little to no use for)

Exactly. You really cant go wrong at this price. Even if you end up absolutely hating it, its so cheap you can easily shrug it off.

chris_coma
01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
played it through to the end single time. This game consists of 80% boredom and 20% good shooting.
Ofcourse it is not a Huge Triple A title, and has certain minor issues.
don't compare this to Painkiller or Serious Sam: neither of them are triple A titles, but Painkiller (the first one only) is simply brilliant. They are in the same genre with Dreamkiller, but the last one is really bad. The closest comparable game to Dreamkiller is latest Painkiller series ripoffs.

And Dreamkiller is full of critical failures for this kind of game, not some minor issues.
Gameplay details that simply do not work or do not needed, there is uninspired enemies, weapons and really bad level-design in terms of both art and layout... but, under this cover of crap and wrong decisions, there is some really good levels and enemies when the game actually shoot. Besides to get far enough through this game you'll have to fight through awful crap that comes first and now and then. 2.50$ is good price for Dreamkiller.

and about video - this is one of the worst and most boring levels in the game, stop defending this game, it is really that bad. The point is not the whole game is awful. You can still have some fun, especially if you are fan of a genre. That's it.
Just try to sleep good before you start playing.

Morgothom
01-04-2012, 10:16 PM
i would so love to play the game...
but:
Low Violence: Low Violence Version

im not buying a butchered product, not even for that sweetsweet price :/

AvistTorch
01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Even with all the bad reviews, I picked up the game.

This game definitely has problems. The two-weapon limit is absurd, certain gameplay mechanics aren't explained well or at all, and the feel of the shooting and the engine is slow and floaty.

Despite all that, I'm having more than enough fun to justify the $2.50, and I heard the better levels are still yet to come.

foadiron
01-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Do you notice how when people try to defend really bad games they either have a really low post count, or, they mention other notorious newbie games like Halo or Call of Newbies?

xxxIndyxxx
01-05-2012, 05:00 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how many people find certain things to be unworthy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In my eye DreamKiller was a fantastic little shooter and for 2.50 is a no brainer. I paid 20 (I believe) when it first came out and enjoyed every second of it. I wish games of this nature were popular like cod (which I don't like), and we could see the multi million dollar versions of games like these.

This is a game for someone who plays shooters for a challenge (they way they were meant to be played). It is a pure shooter in a box. If your into painkiller or Serious Sam or Hard Reset, this is right up your alley. It is extremely difficult and it is one of the few shooters of its kind to incorporate headshots. The weapons are varied enough and the teleport game mechanic was fantastic. Ofcourse it is not a Huge Triple A title, and has certain minor issues.

It saddens me to here people saying this is awful.

At 2.50 you lose nothing. Get it!

I agree with everything LordGurciullo said. For this price this is a must buy BUT stay away if you think modern fps are the best thing that has ever happened to the genre...

xxxIndyxxx
01-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Do you notice how when people try to defend really bad games they either have a really low post count, or, they mention other notorious newbie games like Halo or Call of Newbies?

Yep more post = more knowledge about games

Yeah sorry i do not exactly choose people that write and whine on forums about games instead of playing them as a credible source...

ElfShotTheFood
01-05-2012, 07:08 AM

Hey, someone else mentioned Call of Duty. Trying to fit in with the rest of the sheep?

WOlfenprey76
01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Never care about "professional" critics, or game comparations, i buyed this, and for the today´s price it´s a steal. Good old school action, good ambient, and good game.

koroskoros
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
would have bought this game but the endless spawning of enemies behind you is lame... at least in hard reset you know where the enemies will be coming from.
people should watch youtube before buying this game

OugaBooga
01-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I tried this game on arrival, it was mediocre & from what i can tell today after playing it AGAIN>> seems to still have that same feel.
Maybe i haven't played enuff of it?
I keep trying to give this game a chance but sorrily it seems to fail.
THESE GUYS DID PK Overdose which was fantastic, what happened with this game?

COME ON>>fear of spiders?
LIKE FTW ! ! ! !
ANyhow....still giving this a play through & hope those 2.50$ get them to buy wilderness equipment so insects don't bother them.
company/dev no longer exists.
:((
Oh well
Blame it on teh spiders:P

Lord Gremlin
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure how anyone who's not clinically insane can honestly defend this game.
Now, if it was free, like those student project games, I'd say it's a horrible piece of ♥♥♥♥ that should be avoided by all. It is not a free game however, so I'm not sure how does one describe this ♥♥♥♥.

Thankfully, developer no longer exist. But those people are still alive somewhere, so you're all not safe.

Hamster Gutz
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I bought it for $2.50 and I'm liking it. Guess this is one of those times where I buy a game that almost everyone says is bad and I end up enjoying it.

aegix drakan
01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, I've gone through the first 2 levels and about half of the third level, and I have to say this:

This game makes a VERY bad first impression. But it gets better.

I mean, the first level has only enemies that rush you, and FAST. Plus, you have to rely on that awful starting weapon even when you do find a secondary weapon which makes the enemies even HARDER to deal with. And then in the second level you are introduced to the subconscious mechanic....on a winding platform above a bottomless pit, and if you didn't realize that you could swap out the default weapon for the minigun......It's ridiculously hard and annoying.

But once you start getting into more open spaces to fight in, and ditch that starting weapon, the game REALLY gets more fun. For 3 bucks, I think I got my money's worth. Hands freakin' down.

Korzack
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
In all honesty, picked it up for the sale price (it's now £7), and what the hell, in most places I can't even buy a pint of lager for the £2.50 that got me this, so expectations are already lower than Satan's wine cellar at present, and if it turns out to be terrible, then what the hell, at least I'll appreciate the awesome games all the more for it.

MADDOGGE
02-05-2012, 06:46 PM
would have bought this game but the endless spawning of enemies behind you is lame... This is old school PC. Where the enemies can come from anywhere.

at least in hard reset you know where the enemies will be coming from.
This is console and casual thinking where the enemies are always in front of you and you don't have to watch your back because trying to twitch shoot with a controller isn't pretty.

fuller556
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I second the positive comments. The overall game is pretty decent. I wrote a review of it after finishing it yesterday for anyone who wants a little more meat to their comments. If it drops back to $5 or below again, grab it if you like the genre.

Tsjanith
03-09-2012, 06:02 AM
I am a Painkiller FANATIC with a seemingly unquenchable thirst to keep playing it or any game of its ilk. So obviously I chose to pick this up (at $10 even.) This game is by no stretch Painkiller's equal, in fact its a mediocre knock off. But to someone like me, that is not a bad thing at all. This is sadly a part of an EXTREMELY desolate genre with franchises I can count on one hand, so I'll gladly take any bit I can get my hands on and Dreamkiller is by no means any exception. I just finished it today and I must say that was $10 beautifully spent. Perfect performance, no bugs/crashes, and all around good fun gameplay.

I agree there is WAY too much undeserved criticism for this game, and more people should give it a chance. If you are anything like me and constantly yearn for more Painkiller this game will.....well..... you should have fun. Unless you're an EXTREME elitist--looking at you Lord Gremlin---

fuller556
03-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Glad you enjoyed the game, as well. What game doesn't have its little flaws? As long as the overall package is enjoyable, that's what makes a good game. I need to play through it again to see if it's still freezing up between stages for me, though.

demonslayer2222
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Game totally underrated, yes has bugs but what game doesnt, at 2.50 this game was a steal and people should make their own opinions of a game and not listen to silly ratings and reviews, whats rubbish to 1 person might be great to someone else.

Tsjanith
03-15-2012, 11:45 PM
I actually did not experience any bugs, aside from one minor one. If I left the computer long enough for the screen saver to kick in, the sound stopped working and I had to restart the game. A minor inconvenience is all.

demonslayer2222
03-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Yes ,was not meaning the game was full of bugs, far from it i just experienced a couple of crashes and sound going off once, which was not a major issue for me as how hard is it to restart but some gamers expect totally perfection with no problems(If only).