PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Online F2P today for any old player 2 weeks for new players

Zorlac
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Steam SHOULD be getting a F2P promotion like it did for champions since they are owned by the same company, this is NOT confirmed so do not quote me on it.

Anyway, any previous player of STO can return TODAY, and start playing free of charge on a silver level account, everyone else can start for free in two weeks.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2756

Every returning character gets to keep everything they had even if it's above the normal free to play access lvl of items or features.

Free players that start in 2 weeks will have access to ALL content. (in other words you can lvl to 50, participate in every quest, space stf (dungeons), ground stf, crafing, and special daily events without paying a cent. The limitations seem to be on character slots, bank and inventory slots, and other things like that. In other words you basically get the entire game for free making it one of the best deals in free mmo's period.

Below is a link to the differences in paid/silver memberships.
http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

I hope to see some new, and returning captains in space soon!

UPDATE, You can earn dilithium through in game quests, just read that you can exchange your Dilithium IN GAME for cryptic points meaning you can realistically play the game for free (Dilithium is easy to earn), and that's full access to everything, including stuff you can buy in the cash shop like inventory expansions and the like).

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=246737

BlueWaffel
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm not a big MMO fan(nor a big star trek fan), but I think I may check this one out in a couple weeks. Thanks for the info.

Ali-Sama
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
i hate their downloader. i want to use steam!

Zorlac
01-05-2012, 07:16 PM
i hate their downloader. i want to use steam!

Even when you use steam you still patch through the downloader. It's really not bad at all, works perfectly actually.

Hack Scudder
01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Even when you use steam you still patch through the downloader. It's really not bad at all, works perfectly actually.

Actually, it doesn't seem to. Just spent a long time downloading the game through Steam, and the launcher crashed about halfway through the patching process. After restarting it, the launcher refuses to patch and only gives me an error about a hog being unable to read. Not kidding.

So now I'm having to download the game all over again and hope that the piggie goes to school in the next couple of hours so that I won't have to repeat this ridiculous process all over again.

Phatmillips
01-06-2012, 02:11 AM
its actually a really good game and i whole heartedly reccomend playing it.

those interested in joining some form of Steam Fleet...unless there is one already?. lemmie know, i dont play that much and im def not a hardcore MMO'er but this one is really fun and id love to play with others

devo2
01-07-2012, 03:13 PM
This is not the place to recruit for a fleet so I'll keep it short.

You're welcome in our fleet. We have members across the globe from ages 18-50, play together, have teamspeak (not required though), and are generally pleasant and helpful. We have 3 Fleet Admirals (US West Coast, US East Coast, Europe), and Im one of them.

Send me a PM if youre interested and Ill hook up with you in game.

Zorlac
01-08-2012, 05:48 PM
This is not the place to recruit for a fleet so I'll keep it short.

You're welcome in our fleet. We have members across the globe from ages 18-50, play together, have teamspeak (not required though), and are generally pleasant and helpful. We have 3 Fleet Admirals (US West Coast, US East Coast, Europe), and Im one of them.

Send me a PM if youre interested and Ill hook up with you in game.

You can always make a recruitment thread. =)

Zorlac
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
MAJOR UPDATE NEWS PLEASE READ
UPDATE, You can earn dilithium through in game quests, just read that you can exchange your Dilithium IN GAME for cryptic points meaning you can realistically play the game for free (Dilithium is easy to earn), and that's full access to everything, including stuff you can buy in the cash shop like inventory expansions and the like).

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=246737

devo2
01-09-2012, 02:08 AM
This is true. However its not as easy as it sounds. The going exchange for C-Store points is about 350 Dilithium to 1 C-store point.

-Not all missions reward dilithium.

-You can only refine 8000 dilithium a day.

-midlevel ships in the C-store are 400 or so dilithium, the big boy (Galaxy X) is 20,000.

-There are other important uses for dilithium (buying gear)

-All that being said, as you play your dilithium accumulates suprisingly fast. And I would not be surprised if the exchange rate for C-Store points fell as more new players enter the game and want dilithium and old players no longer need c-store points because weve bought everything and have 1000 c-store points in reserve from stipends....

Zorlac
01-09-2012, 08:19 AM
This is true. However its not as easy as it sounds. The going exchange for C-Store points is about 350 Dilithium to 1 C-store point.

-Not all missions reward dilithium.

-You can only refine 8000 dilithium a day.

-midlevel ships in the C-store are 400 or so dilithium, the big boy (Galaxy X) is 20,000.

-There are other important uses for dilithium (buying gear)

-All that being said, as you play your dilithium accumulates suprisingly fast. And I would not be surprised if the exchange rate for C-Store points fell as more new players enter the game and want dilithium and old players no longer need c-store points because weve bought everything and have 1000 c-store points in reserve from stipends....

Still the game can be fully free to those willing to do STF's to earn the dilithium they need to get what they want.