PDA

View Full Version : One of the finest releases lately

cuevitas
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Dear Steam users:

Please do not let those inept and nonprofessional reviewers from Gamespot and Eurogamer influence your appreciation for this brilliant game. This gem does not need a story or context and the visual language is beautiful and evoking. QUBE is twice as long as the original Portal and it has more challenging puzzles.
Even with the lack of resources for being Indie devs, Toxic Games have pulled a game almost as good as the original Portal.
Please do yourselves a favor and buy this neat piece of software.
This game is in my top 3 of the year along with Portal 2 and Skyrim.

xX_Renegade_Xx
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm quite surprised by the game for an indie title, it's nice and smooth and the controls seem perfect.

The music I like in the background, seems to complement the game well.

Getting a bit more difficult now too.

Lazarusx
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Absolutely.

I just finished Sector 5, starting Sector 6 now.. i'm really enjoying the puzzle's; loved portal 1,2 and im really quite surprised that this is an indie title.. feels very smooth, the ambient music is wonderful to figure out puzzles too. These games make me reminiscent of the old days where the majority of games involved a degree of problem solving.

8/10

Fragmental
01-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I hope they do like Valve did and make a second one in a couple of years, it's probably gonna blow us away just like Portal 2.

Flex_Relax
01-07-2012, 04:21 AM
When the guy from Gamespot said the bad was

Game lacks any story, character, or context.

about a puzzle game, that's idiotic to say the least.

The Eurogamer guy compares this game with Portal and writes:

QUBE hasn't learned from Valve's game but copied it - and ends up a shonky paraphrase of much better science.

First of all the last paragraph is disrespectful for the developers that probably worked very hard to make this game. That said, i believe you should give an honest opinion in a review, but you should always respect the developers and everyone involved. We never know whats going on backstage, it's not that easy to release a game and Q.U.B.E. is a very good indie game.

It's obviously inspired in Portal, they fail to mention that if you like Portal, you'll probably enjoy this one too.

Sp3tZn4z
01-07-2012, 06:49 AM
While the story and humor in Portal is good I find the puzzling elements in Q.U.B.E to be equally entertaining as the ones found in Portal.

I doubt it will happen but if Toxic Games and Valve would work together on another FPS Puzzling game, maybe making a Q.U.B.E/Portal hybrid then I would definatly buy it.

SnarKs
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Well, in the credits it says Valve is a playtester :D Im sure its the Valve we all know.

A story would have been a nice addition, but ehhhh. The puzzle solving and simple mechanics were great, just like portal. It had some of that eery feel like portal 1 did, not as much though. Enjoyed the entire game.

This game is in my top 3 of the year along with Portal 2 and Skyrim.

It came out in 2012 though :/ Unless it had a console release in 2011 I dont know about.

happypumkin
01-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Well, in the credits it says Valve is a playtester :D Im sure its the Valve we all know.

A story would have been a nice addition, but ehhhh. The puzzle solving and simple mechanics were great, just like portal. It had some of that eery feel like portal 1 did, not as much though. Enjoyed the entire game.

It came out in 2012 though :/ Unless it had a console release in 2011 I dont know about.

could say top three of the school year if your in school :P

tonyp2121
01-08-2012, 12:57 AM
I wouldnt say its "almost as good as portal." Almost no game can live up to Portal and comparing it to Portal is giving the game a disservice, having said that the game is remarkable, I finished it yesterday (took 4 hours) and was very impressed by it. The music was right, the story wasnt completely nonexistent (thank you scenery!) and the pacing could not have been better. I do find it odd the only reason people from Eurogamer and gamespot gave it bad reviews was because of the story (or lack thereof) yet they continuously praised the puzzle designs, the pacing, and the soundtrack.

8/10

Pufje
01-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Gamespot reviews are relative to the kind of gamer you are, i believe gamespot reviewers are gamer that enjoy ONLY shooting stuff, a storyline, awesome graphics and blood. So anything that is mainstream should be good.

Let's just take gamespots score as a number showing how mainstream a game is. And Q.U.B.E. Is a hipster :p

Flex_Relax
01-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Well you can give you're honest opinion in a review, if you don't like a game you should say it. But there's a professional way of doing it. In Eurogamer the final score isn't that bad, but the overall review is disrespectful in my opinion. And i see this happening in a lot of the major websites, the editors sometimes are jerks.