PDA

View Full Version : Help for a mage build!

whitewinter
01-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Hello:

I want a mage build for my character.
What stats do I need? What stats will I go?

Thanks!

Slyther
01-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I haven't played a magic user myself, but from my knowledge of game mechanics I'll offer my opinion:

-Invest in Intelligence: Increases your damage as well as mana regeneration
-Invest in Spirit: Increases your maximum mana and indirectly your regeneration (Higher max means you regenerate more)
-Invest in some Vitality: Will let you take some hits

Strength and Dexterity should be able to be safely ignored until you start having extra stat points.

As for skills:

-One point in Regeneration
-One point in Evade
-Invest in Devastation, it increases your magic damage
-You may need mana leech if you find yourself low on mana a lot
-I'd suggest heal for all builds, it lessens the cost on your purse as you don't need as many potions
-As for actual active abilities it's really up to preference, but I'd suggest the summon spells as they will take some of the attention off you as well as provide passive damage.

KK_reborn
01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
-Invest in Intelligence: Increases your damage as well as mana regeneration
-Invest in Spirit: Increases your maximum mana and indirectly your regeneration (Higher max means you regenerate more)
-Invest in some Vitality: Will let you take some hitsThis is a good idea. Intelligence and Spirit should be where your main points are spent. So when you gain a level and get 4 points - use 3 of them for Spirit and Intelligence and 1 for Vitality or just all 4 in Spirit and Intelligence depending on how well you are doing.

As for skills, focus on Mage or Spirit skills but not both. You might gimp your character pretty bad. I tried the theory of being a Mage with a Summon and I got killed a lot. You might do better though once you've got your necromancer creature - I missed that area on my first run through.. I've since restarted as a ranger with pure ranger skills and nothing stands in my way...for long.

Also focus in on skills that are quickly rechargeable and keep your distance. Trying to throw a few spells in and then going melee to melee with an enemy will get you killed. For example, Fireball is a powerful spell but has a long recharge rate. The missle spell though works really quickly so invest points in that. Save fireball for encounters were more than one enemy is charging towards you as it can damage both simultaneously.