PDA

View Full Version : selling my second hand games to retail store

phan_tastique
01-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi.

I have this game, lets pretend it's called - Steam Forum The Game. I decided to buy the game. Standard procedure during installing, it requires internet connection, my steam account and it has a product code inside the box to activate the product/game. (Note: the installation is purely downloads from Steam and not from the disk)

So i played the game and unfortunately i didn't like it very much because the game requires me to post comments on other people's comments, so it feels like i'm doing work rather than having fun.

I plan to sell this game away to the retail store, however i have a problem, that is the product code is one time use only such that the product restricts sharing of games. So if i sell the game to the retail store, still having the game 'memory' in my steam library (i can install the game directly through Steam online without the disk), wouldn't that be cheating the store out off their money?

I know...i would rather have both the game and the money but i'm adopting integrity here. SO is there a solution?

MikeBlaszczak
01-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Nothing to do with Steam Community, so this moves to General.

I think your answer lies in the license you agreed to when you started using the game.

EFDarkSide
01-08-2012, 08:46 AM
You registred the key on Steam? If you return the game to the store and the store re-sell it to someone, this someone will can not activate it on Steam.

Ask support if they can delete this game from library, but I don't know if this is possible.

Banksey
01-08-2012, 08:46 AM
No game store will buy a used PC game that require a CD Key

UberTrevor
01-08-2012, 08:48 AM
No game store will buy a used PC game that require a CD Key

Some stores do. . . When they are clueless console gamers as workers.

DoubleD
01-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I know...i would rather have both the game and the money but i'm adopting integrity here. SO is there a solution?

CD Key Reset Process
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6823-QADN-7849

This may be an option the person buying the cd key may have.

This of course would remove the game from your Steam account.

I know in my area the shops do not except any used PC games. They enter the PC game in the computer to see what the trade-in value is. All Steam games are flagged and not accepted as trade.

Wolfpig
01-08-2012, 09:04 AM
You registred the key on Steam? If you return the game to the store and the store re-sell it to someone, this someone will can not activate it on Steam.

The someone who might have bought the game could contact the Steamsupport, they will most likely see that on the receipt of it something states that it is uses, and then they may deactivate the Account on which it is registered ;)

Ryamu1985
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
CD Key Reset Process
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6823-QADN-7849

This may be an option the person buying the cd key may have.

This of course would remove the game from your Steam account.

I know in my area the shops do not except any used PC games. They enter the PC game in the computer to see what the trade-in value is. All Steam games are flagged and not accepted as trade.

So if I theoretically wanted to move a Steam game from one account to another I could use this process to reset the key to being 'unused' and activate it on a secondary account or a friends account?

dementedlullaby
01-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Stores don't take used PC games anymore in my experience. I wanted to trade CoD4 on the PC (DVD copy with CD in box). Gamestop/EBGames wouldn't take it.

Sir_Brizz
01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Stores don't take used PC games anymore in my experience. I wanted to trade CoD4 on the PC (DVD copy with CD in box). Gamestop/EBGames wouldn't take it.
At least in the US this is pretty much true. Only a stupid company would accept used PC games anymore.

damiangerous
01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I see PC games that I know have one time use keys at thrift stores all the time. I've actually (nicely) let them know that they're selling useless junk before but they still keep showing up. I feel bad for the people that buy those, I'm sure they're just well meaning parents or what not who have no idea how those things work.

weissewolf
01-08-2012, 10:28 AM
So if I theoretically wanted to move a Steam game from one account to another I could use this process to reset the key to being 'unused' and activate it on a secondary account or a friends account?

i didn't see anything on canceling a cd-key from a account but to "transfer" one you need a store recite from within the last 90days.

i have a question: is there a way to merge accounts because i few years back i got a game activated it on a new steam account, never played it, then forgot about it. since then i made a new account that i now use and found my username and password for the old one.
the old account only had that 1 game. is there a way i can merge, absorb, or transfer it?

Friendliest
01-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Cuz as far as the retail world is concerned, previous CODs cease to exist when a new one is released.

Hulahoop
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM

By "moving" a game this way there is a good chance to get "originating" steam account disabled.

The game could also be just removed from originating account, but if fraud is suspected it can be o rit will be disabled and that seems to be standard procedure.

loktar
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I see PC games that I know have one time use keys at thrift stores all the time. I've actually (nicely) let them know that they're selling useless junk before but they still keep showing up. I feel bad for the people that buy those, I'm sure they're just well meaning parents or what not who have no idea how those things work.

Meh, theres ways around it. Ive gotten a few games from thrift stores where the keys were still valid (never a steam game though). Right now in thrift stores your most likely to find PC Games from the mid-90's early 2000's any way. Only time I let the store know they are selling useless junk is if the pc game is actually a burned copy.. because you know its illegal to sell bootlegged copies.... also remember its a thrift store most things they sell are someones useless junk :P

generatedname
01-08-2012, 01:42 PM
i had to return a copy of CS:S that was bundled with HL2 : DM and DOD : DM because of an issue with the way the game validated the retail purchase (some bug where because I didn't download and install all 3 games, none of them left the trial version so after 2 weeks my CS:S became invalid. I didn't figure out that installing the other 2 games would fix it until after I returned the game.

What happens is that the retail store will either send the copy back to the source or give them the key, and the publisher will void out the keys. So I couldn't remove CS:S or the other games from my steam account, and those licenses were void. So...new steam account later and now I just buy games off the website instead of in-store :)

DoubleD
01-08-2012, 01:45 PM

They have all Steam games listed in their data base. So when they look up the game to check what amount they will pay you for the game it is flagged as not to accept.

ChrisW
01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
This is fairly simple. You purchase a retail game then activate it to your account. You then sell the purchased game back to the store. You still have the game on your Steam account, so you are really stealing the game. The unluck person that purchases the used copy gets a duplicate cd key message. They submit a support ticket. Steam support then suspends the original account the game was registered to until the proper proof of purchase is received. Since you sold the proof of purchase, you can't prove you own the game, so your account remains suspended forever. The poor sap that purchased the game then has to return their worthless product to the store and the store loses money.

killj0y
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
For as long as I remember brick and mortar stores will not take back pc software even if it is unopened...

SuperCake
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
generally, stores will NOT buy a used PC game.

if you do find one that does, whoever buys the used PC game can end up contacting Steam/company that made said game, and get the CD-Key revoked because they have proof of ownership (usually just taking a pic/scan of the code is enough). your account could end up banned then.

or, they might just return it to the store and you might get a call from them to take you're game back. most stores that deal with used games require you to leave you're phone#/address on file in case of fraud/selling of stolen games/etc.

saroth
01-08-2012, 06:37 PM
yeah good luck taking a pc game back to a store after opening it

they dont take them anymore do to cd key reasons and legal reasons as people would just buy a pc game, make a copy and return it, basically stealing

_Budweiser_
01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
If you have never installed the game, you can at least try.
Otherwise, check your license agreement, you will most likely find that the license is non-transferrable.
In the event you wish to cancel the contractual agreement, sometimes, you need to notify the company and/or actually destroy the disks as well as (obviously) removing all related content from your PC.

Silicon Vampire
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Steam support also does not accept reciepts for second-hand games... but I'm sure they would suspend the original account the key was registered to until that account could prove owership of the game.

Which you couldn't do once you sold it and I suspect the account would stay suspended because of fruad.

warmaster670
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Cuz as far as the retail world is concerned, previous CODs cease to exist when a new one is released.whatever excuse makes you feel better about tehre being no second hand pc market.

Zenerol
01-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Steam support also does not accept reciepts for second-hand games... but I'm sure they would suspend the original account the key was registered to until that account could prove owership of the game.

Which you couldn't do once you sold it and I suspect the account would stay suspended because of fruad.

That's a bit like guilty until proven innocent isn't it? So if, for example, some lowlife generates a key, they enter this in to Steam and the key happens to be already registered to an honest customer's account, you are saying that the honest customer will have their account suspended until they can prove their ownership of the key? So if they're unable to do so, for whatever reason, the honest customer is accused of fraud?

That's a bit rough!

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Someone attempting to use a key that is already in use should have their account suspended, unless they can prove ownership? But as you say, Steam Support do not accept second-hand game receipts, so they can not even do this, and yet you will still suspend the original owners' account due to suspected fraud, even though the proof (second-hand game receipt) is not admissible?

NathAttack
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
That's a bit like guilty until proven innocent isn't it? So if, for example, some lowlife generates a key, they enter this in to Steam and the key happens to be already registered to an honest customer's account, you are saying that the honest customer will have their account suspended until they can prove their ownership of the key? So if they're unable to do so, for whatever reason, the honest customer is accused of fraud?

That's a bit rough!

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Someone attempting to use a key that is already in use should have their account suspended, unless they can prove ownership? But as you say, Steam Support do not accept second-hand game receipts, so they can not even do this, and yet you will still suspend the original owners' account due to suspected fraud, even though the proof (second-hand game receipt) is not admissible?

Not exactly. If someone generates a key that is already registered to a Steam account, and then tries to input it into Steam, they are simply told the key is in use and can't be activated. Without proof of purchase, they cannot have the key transferred to their account. Basically, a dead end.

In this scenario, nobody would be suspended.

Moes
01-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Sadly Ive found a place that does take physical games, they do zero checking, I just got another for christmas and it's one of my favorite games, but cant use it. so I got a coaster. so as has been said in this thread there are still someplaces that are clueless.

Redboy
01-09-2012, 01:29 AM
I used selling my old PC games to store but nowdays they refuse buy anymore because of key. So that why I had stopped buy retail. Only digitial download like here Steam.

M_A_R_I_N_E_S
01-09-2012, 01:30 AM
I used selling my old PC games to store but nowdays they refuse buy anymore because of key. So that why I had stopped buy retail. Only digitial download like here Steam.

You stopped buying retail because you can't steal from businesses anymore?

Did I read that correctly?

Khirsah01
01-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Sadly Ive found a place that does take physical games, they do zero checking, I just got another for christmas and it's one of my favorite games, but cant use it. so I got a coaster. so as has been said in this thread there are still someplaces that are clueless.

I've even seen Guild Wars Trilogy at a secondhand store, although this was primarily a book store... So I can't blame them too much for not knowing about the games. I took a peek inside the box for curiosity's sake, and of course, the little square package that holds the key to authenticate with was missing. So either the original owner had used the game and sold it (basically illegally), or maybe it had been complete and new and someone at the store decided to do a 5 finger discount... I'll never know. I just took it up to the information desk and notified them that they would be selling something that can't be used. I showed them why, and they were disappointed, but happy that I told them so they wouldn't get in trouble after selling it.

I've also seen tons of games with manuals missing (like Star Wars: Battlefront II) that have their keys on the backs of the manuals. Once again, dud games.

If you are going to buy used games, make sure to do research and know what you're buying ahead of time. If you're getting newer games, you're better off just saving up and buying new. The new Retail games cannot be resold because of one-shot authentication keys etc.

As for the OP, you can't resell a Steam game. Once you buy it, it's yours forever. Remember, a lot of Dev/Pubs are trying their best to get rid of Resale places, that's one of the hidden reasons of DRM. They blame pirates, but #1 hidden target is resale. They lose tons more on resale since they can't get more money from the same copy, and if it didn't have DRM, the same copy could hopscotch around so much it would make your vision swim.

That, and the prices for used could be tantalizingly cheap, and they know gamers are always looking for deals to stock up on more games for less money, right? ;)

Redboy
01-09-2012, 01:34 AM
You stopped buying retail because you can't steal from businesses anymore?

Did I read that correctly?

Nah to get rid of old PC games. I have like 500 boxes of PC.

Zenerol
01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Not exactly. If someone generates a key that is already registered to a Steam account, and then tries to input it into Steam, they are simply told the key is in use and can't be activated. Without proof of purchase, they cannot have the key transferred to their account. Basically, a dead end.

In this scenario, nobody would be suspended.

Well yeah, that is how it should be... :rolleyes:

u2jedi
01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Before digital distribution I used to buy from Gamestop here in town. I bought Sin Episode 1 in anticipation of playing it. But first I wanted to see if any MODs were available or patches required. That's when I ran across website after website announcing the series was cancelled and Episode 1 was the only epiode you would ever see. Damn them. So I took it back unopened and got my $ back. The manager of the store apologized. It was supposed to be taken off the shelf but wasn't, and ended up for sale.

larryodalemurs
06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
So I bought a PC game at a yard sale that requires Steam. Probably somebodies mom was selling it. Is there any way to get it to work legally or am I just stuck with a worthless DVD?

azzonie
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
So I bought a PC game at a yard sale that requires Steam. Probably somebodies mom was selling it. Is there any way to get it to work legally or am I just stuck with a worthless DVD?

Nope. Once it is added to someones account it is done.

s1234567890m
06-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Nope. Once it is added to someones account it is done.

Not true if your sneaky enough you can claim your acount was hacked and etc etc

serieus1
06-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I would ask support because if you have the original box and the original case then you may be able to claim ownership. I'm not sure what's allowed. I'd check with support.

cslayer211
06-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I would ask support because if you have the original box and the original case then you may be able to claim ownership. I'm not sure what's allowed. I'd check with support.

I think you can technically do this if you send them the picture with the CD-Key and game box, as there's really no way of knowing how you got it, other than that you own it right now.

Although I'm not sure what Steam's policy is on this, as in what they do if someone buys a used Steam game box and doesn't realize they won't be able to activate it.

CTRL ALT DEL !
06-10-2012, 10:37 PM
The owner of the case with the key could try to claim your entire account.

ozgeek
06-10-2012, 10:41 PM

This is excatly why you need to keep game retail boxes so you have proof and insurance incase some nutcase tries to pull this stunt on you. Heck I still have my HL2 game disk I bought in 2005 stored behind my chair.

If you are having problems accessing your account like forgetten password or username, your retail box copies can help you get it back because you have proof...the nutcases have not.

thorvaaldr
06-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Well, you can you can try activating it, because maybe they owned the box but never registered the key with Steam. (The game was a present, they didn't bother, etc.) Look for the product key, and type it in to the Add Game box on Steam. It can't hurt to try.

But yes, if the previous owner registered the key, you bought a shiny coaster.