PDA

View Full Version : Rediculous AI

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
It's a ridiculous notion that you would force someone to play a game only one way. This is a building game after all, so why is it that the single player missions do not allow me to build.

When I try to build, the AI sends stronger and stronger attacks the more I try to put up defenses. It doesn't even matter what stage the AI is at. If I use the cards to build the fort and reinforced walls faster and at an earlier stage, the AI simply sends in overpowering artillery to take it all out regardless of them being a stage lower than me.

The only way to beat it is to build up an army fast and take them out fast...why am I being forced to play this way? I want to build! Why even put the defensive mechanisms and sustainability of resource development in the game when it won't let me develop anything?

As I said, it is absolutely ridiculous. I figured for 20 bucks I would give this game a try...guess I'm ripped off again by yet another ♥♥♥♥ty game.

QuasiBelgium
01-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Another thing you could do is taking out the other players as quickly as possible, so you can continue with the whole map for yourself.

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Single Player...I'm talking about the AI. Once you beat them, that mission ends. You should skill up your reading comprehension card.

QuasiBelgium
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
An AI player is a player aswell. I'm pretty sure you can keep playing in Skirmish mode. Just don't let them surrender when the pop-up appears.

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Fine, I'll give you the point that AI is in the pvp.

But you completely missed the entire point of my first sentence where I specifically stated "single player". I'm not at all interested in the "rush to arms" part of this game at all, which is what I consider the pvp part to be. I thought the single player campaign would allow me to play the game the way it was apparently designed...to build. After all, it is all in the choices you can make in the cards. So why even give those choices knowing full well that you aren't going to be able to do the missions if you choose the wrong cards? The AI makes its decisions based on what you do, apparently. And it punishes you for trying to build...to the point that it is literally impossible to do so.

It defeats the purpose of half of the things built into the game...

QuasiBelgium
01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, the purpose of the game is - like the purpose of any 4X strategy game - to play with other players, AI or not, which you have to defeat, and who will try the same to you. Sorry dude, but it's a part of the game. Show them who's boss! Don't give them a chance!

Considering the game is six years old, I'm afraid hoping for a patch with a "free build" mode is a bit pointless, but I totally understand what you'd like to do. Try as I said, defeat them early and don't let them surrender. Good luck and have fun!

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I appreciate the suggestion. Still, I was trying to have fun...the game just decided not to let me...by design, which is why I'm angry that I just wasted the money on it. This is the campaign we are talking about here...the flagship part of any single player game, whether it contains pvp or not.

I realize it is an old game. I'm just giving fair warning for those who, like me, thought it was a building game.

Edit: wait, "play with other players"...I was under the impression that this was an RPG that had pvp if you choose to partake in that. This isn't an MMO afaik.

Heburnll
01-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Should have done more research. This game never advertises itself as a "build a city" sim. Its a RTS. Ever since age of empires 1.

xSilverPhinx
01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
To put it simply, that's the way it goes. Either you're at war, or you build.

I bought the AoE3 series a while back, and think that AoE2 is superior btw. Even Stronghold beats it. *eyeroll*

g33kMoZzY
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes it's a campaign, there is ways to counter the units so why don't you. And if you are talking about the first mission in the first campaign, yes it's little overwhealming but you get to build more in later on. So if you only want to build without the warring get Anno 2070, Sim City or something like em.

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Yup, that's it for me. I gave it another try. But all I want to do is build, and this game refuses to let me. I wouldn't mind the fighting if the attacks didn't increase disproportionately (increases more than the defenses do) to the increase in my defenses, but the way that it does makes it obvious it is designed so that you can't build.

I can honestly say, I absolutely hate it. The only thing I get out of it is utter and complete frustration and fills me with hate for it. It isn't anything like I thought it would be. Frankly, it shouldn't even be given the same category as Anno 2070...which I would get, but it is too expensive. I barely scraped up the 20 bucks for this one...now I wish I would have slit my wrists rather than getting ♥♥♥♥ed out of 20 bucks.

I know there are people who knew more or less what to expect out of it...but I guess I didn't really know what RTS meant..."Really, Total ♥♥♥♥".

As far as countering the units...how could you possibly assume that I'm not. It is obvious how to fight them. But I can't manage resources, build, manage soldiers, and fight all at the same time. I suck at multitasking to start with. I've always been a "quality over quantity" kind of person; unlike this game and their obvious money grab with this game.

g33kMoZzY
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
To bad it turned out this way :( But in the future, try the demo, read reviews. Do some research before you spend your hard earnd money. :)

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Agreed! Still, It shouldn't be at the top of the list for every single category under the "Simulation" genre. A little false advertising pads the bank account I guess. Unscrupulous pricks is what they are.

g33kMoZzY
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Agreed! Still, It shouldn't be at the top of the list for every single category under the "Simulation" genre. A little false advertising pads the bank account I guess. Unscrupulous pricks is what they are.

Oh, then I can understand your frustation. I didn't know it was listed under the simulation category and I can't understand why it would be.

But yes, youtube for gameplay it's allways good and I allways look it up when I'm unsure and want to know more about the game, search for reviews and read forums.

DirtyHarry50
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Yup, that's it for me. I gave it another try. But all I want to do is build, and this game refuses to let me. I wouldn't mind the fighting if the attacks didn't increase disproportionately (increases more than the defenses do) to the increase in my defenses, but the way that it does makes it obvious it is designed so that you can't build.

I can honestly say, I absolutely hate it. The only thing I get out of it is utter and complete frustration and fills me with hate for it. It isn't anything like I thought it would be. Frankly, it shouldn't even be given the same category as Anno 2070...which I would get, but it is too expensive. I barely scraped up the 20 bucks for this one...now I wish I would have slit my wrists rather than getting ♥♥♥♥ed out of 20 bucks.

I know there are people who knew more or less what to expect out of it...but I guess I didn't really know what RTS meant..."Really, Total ♥♥♥♥".

As far as countering the units...how could you possibly assume that I'm not. It is obvious how to fight them. But I can't manage resources, build, manage soldiers, and fight all at the same time. I suck at multitasking to start with. I've always been a "quality over quantity" kind of person; unlike this game and their obvious money grab with this game.

You might have more fun with a turn based strategy game such as Civilization V which has a free demo on Steam you could try out to see what you think of it. Some people would say Civilization IV is the better game but you could check out reviews, etc. and form your own conclusion there as to what you think you'd enjoy.

The Total War games might be something else to look into. The fights are real-time but the rest of what goes on is turn based. I believe some of those have free demos on Steam too so you could see for yourself what you think of them.

Blinkie
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
WHAT??!!! This is like buying Battlefield 3 and complaining that you can't plant a rose garden. Don't people do any research before buying stuff? Oh wait, that would make too much sense....

xSilverPhinx
01-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Settlers 7 is a game you might like. You can build on a huge scale and try to keep it all from falling apart, without being constantly harassed by AI enemies.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

xXxBONESxXx
01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks xSilverPhinx, I'll look into all the suggestions made here.

DirtyHarry50
01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Well don't feel too bad Bones. Everyone has to start someplace and learn as they go. For good reviews of games that tell about them I like to visit www.gamespot.com Generally speaking I tend to agree with their reviews although not always. The descriptive info would be helpful to you though in addition to how they grade it.

RPGs are role playing games but there are a fair variety of kinds of these. Some are focused on the fighting, some are focused on exploring a large world, most have some sort of fantasy story driving the gameplay and typically you start off as a weak character who grows in power over time. Sometimes you control just "yourself" and sometimes you have a party of multiple characters to manage. That's a simple definition but just to give you some idea of these versus some other types.

MMORPGs are persistent online worlds very loosely modeled after RPG games but typically are pretty lacking in the story department. The draw is the social interaction and group play with others online although some people prefer to play solo in these games and most support that.

Within the realm of strategy games there are many types as well. RTS games are real-time strategy like you just saw with AOE III but there's a variety of kinds here too. TBS are turn based games. Some games even mix the two as the Total War games do.

In the future I'd recommend checking reviews and even asking in the game's forum about what it is like. That should help you find the things you'll really like the best.

The only other thing I would say is that you might find this game more fun with practice. It's not surprising a complex game is a little overwhelming at first. You might find it very satisfying if you persist some more and start kicking the enemy's ♥♥♥ who've been harassing you. I know that doesn't resolve the preference for building issue but still, it could be fun after all if you give it a little more time now that you know what to expect.

Personally, if I felt like the AI had rained on my parade I would thoroughly enjoy wiping them off the map. ;)

GepardenK
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
To OP

I think this game is great but it might not be for you. That being said, it might just be that you will like this one after a while; its a grower.

Have you tried lowering the diffeculty in the campaign? I can't remember what I played on, but I remember the pirate part to be very frustrating (normal campaign, no expansion right? I haven't tried those). This however is not how this game is normaly. There is a series of frustrating missions in the first part of the campaign, but it gets way better later. And you do get to build, a lot. Defending and then marching out with a big late army is how I beat almost every mission.

You can also play skrimish. Here you have complete freedom and the AI will not bother you much if you set its skill to low. 4 very easy AI's means almost no attacks on your city, and 4 citys to conquer later:)

EDIT: Settlers 7 is an okay game, but I got bored of it fast. IMO there is very little freedom and variation in that game, but building a small town can be cozy the first time. Stronghold (the original, the others are baaad) or Rise of Nations is my suggestion if you must play another game than age

Finchie
01-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't feel too bad about yourself, 'xxxbonesxxx'.

I bought Half Life 2 a few months ago and was infuriated when I wasn't able to fly a plane like a good realistic flight simulator should let you. I can't believe it was so highly-acclaimed by critics when the only aircraft in the game were enemies.

Cooper Kid
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I love building up a big base - especially in the single player as it tends to be more challenging (you're quite often not allowed walls). You just need a lot of practice to get good at it - and remember that you still need an army to deefend with. No number of outposts will hold out against a few cannon.

Dark_Gable
01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
The op just sucks at this game. he ♥♥♥♥♥ing about his suckyness. Kill them then build on their smoldering ashes. You EARN the right to build. Or go on line and play the treaty mode.

DirtyHarry50
01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
The op just sucks at this game. he ♥♥♥♥♥ing about his suckyness. Kill them then build on their smoldering ashes. You EARN the right to build. Or go on line and play the treaty mode.

It's mighty rare than anyone starts off being good at something new to them. Cut the guy some slack will you?

xSilverPhinx
01-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Can I give this guy a minus rep? *eyeroll*

mAs7eRa
01-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I can say that it's not what I expected either. I don't mean that the game is bad, I actually like it. But when I saw the title, I thought (by some stupid reason, without making a research) that it's gonna be more like AoE2. Here I can agree about the building, because in the older AoE, when they attack you, villagers were doing much more damage, so you could defend yourself. There wasn't such a harassment that could delay your whole age-progress... reminds me a bit of Empire Earth, as there was also an age-rush + harassment. Pitty that you can't enjoy building fortresses and walls around your enemies with unlimited amount of towers :D + another reason why the game is more of a rush type now is that the limit is still 200, while you can produce 5units at once. But a "-", same as in the older versions, there is still no way to click on 2 or more barracks, set 1 spawn point and start making units.
Anyway, the game has different strategy now, and as I said, it's not bad :)

Finchie
01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
But a "-", same as in the older versions, there is still no way to click on 2 or more barracks, set 1 spawn point and start making units.
Anyway, the game has different strategy now, and as I said, it's not bad :)

You can hold down shift to select multiple buildings as if they were one. If you then press shift+unit hotkey, you will create 5 units in every barracks/stable/etc selected and will therefore be able to create a huge army in a small amount of time providing you have the number of buildings/resources to do so.

It's been that way since AoM. :P

mAs7eRa
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Nice! I just tried it and you're right! For some reason the first time I tried it, I thought that it doesn't work :X tnx! no more spamming 1 by 1 buildings :)

Finchie
01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Nice! I just tried it and you're right! For some reason the first time I tried it, I thought that it doesn't work :X tnx! no more spamming 1 by 1 buildings :)

No problem. :)

Using the shift key yields quite a few interesting shortcuts (you can create multiple waypoints for units, task your settlers to mine a goldmine, then create a farm, etc).

Dark_Gable
01-10-2012, 12:53 AM
It's mighty rare than anyone starts off being good at something new to them. Cut the guy some slack will you?

I'm not knocking the guy for sucking. I sucked for like a year. Its the whining, not asking anyone in game or even in a thread how to do something. He just ♥♥♥♥♥ed about something he did not fully understand. Thats just one of my buttons. You just have to try harder than that, human players are far more ruthless than the AI. Looking in the options menu for hot keys an other UI stuff would have saved us from this thread

Chrissd21
01-10-2012, 07:27 AM
now I wish I would have slit my wrists rather than getting ♥♥♥♥ed out of 20 bucks.

Too bad, would have saved us the thread. :P

Now, this isn't an obvious money grab, it's an RTS. Should be listed under that and if it isn't then don't hate on the developers, go yell at Steam.

Stop playing the campaign or at least turn down the difficulty, the campaign is an introduction to the multiplayer and like all campaigns you have objectives which should be done in a certain way. You'll be introduced to different buildings, units, and elements of the game as you go along which is obviously not what you're looking for. Although Sim City does that as well last I played. Which is a loooooooong time ago.

If you want to build only, start up a Skirmish against the AI and select "economic win" then give yourself a, uh, gap time. Forget what it's called, a certain amount of time before any aggressive action is taken. Ideally you'd also play with the AI, so everyone on the same team, economic victory. Practice building armies then once you're good at that start adding an AI opponent with that peace time, then eventually move on to playing an RTS. For most people AoE isn't a full on hardcore RTS, most of the time.

Scenarios, skirmish, campaign, multiplayer, scenario building. That's the elements of AoE which people grab on to. And it has the usual "I like building pretty patterns, do you like my star shape village?" with the "Grr!! Rage!! Burn and destroy! For Khoooorne!!!". Then we have our nice war freaks way back from AoE 1 which believe destruction is bad, so they'll simply convert everything you have instead. You can all get along though, simply learn to play how you like. But not in the campaign, in the campaign same as all campaigns in every you have objectives to complete in a certain manner. Maybe I don't want to defuse the bomb in Counterstrike or build the temple in Cleopatra but if the game says jump you jump. :P

tl;dr

Play the campaign on easy to get used to it, or play a deathmatch will all AI allies and select economic victory. Also, the AI is being nice to you, you probably lived for minutes at least! :P

AoE 1 with Axemen rush.. Aw man that was harsh

Oh yea, play Dutch. They have good banks which is great when you go economic all the way then declare Revolution. Heh. AoE 3 was the first AoE when a fully economic player could take on a fully military player towards the endgame stage and actually do a decent job of smashing them from one end of the map to the other.

Siruss
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
OP: You need to slow your role and don't be such a hater. This is a RTS, don't blame anyone but yourself by not knowing what that means. Personally, it is one of my fav RTS, in fact I'd rank it at #2 behind the Warcraft 'chise. The fact that it still commands $20 (which is 50% off) 6 years later, tells you it is still a very popular game. Just because it might not be your cup of tea doesn't mean you should knock it like this.

As for your problem: You should be able to do a skirmish, and you can set your own rules. One of the rules is "NR" aka no rush. You can set a time limit on how long until aggressive action can be taken. That way you can spend time building and experimenting. However if you set the NR to a high time, resources are abundant and fighting lasts forever. however I do enjoy sometimes just seeing how long I can last with some crazy D structure that mows down enemies for a while.

If you play the game and tweak it to more of what you want, you won't feel so ripped off.

Pingpong0101
01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Play Skirmish and put it to easy.. they attack

If you want to build, then what is the point of the game?

It's supposed to be war, not being an ignorant ♥♥♥♥ and building

If you want to "build" go to online and find a NR (No Rush(No attacking)) 50+ or something.

ljason8eg
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Lol what a bunch of rage over nothing.

QuannumOne
01-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I have the retail version of the game with TWC and TAD so I'm not sure whether the steam version has the same features. As people have said, it would help to play Skirmish to learn the ropes before tackling the campaign. However, instead of playing on the easy difficulty, you should try the sandbox difficulty level (if possible).

This will have the AI focus on building a base and gathering resources instead of training an army to fight. Basically the only time you will fight is when an enemy unit wanders through your base while exploring the map or if you stumble upon their base. The AI will still send units from their home city, but they'll stay at their base.

When it comes to building defenses, it is much harder to maintain your base when you have a low level home city, but as you increase in level, you'll have the ability to send multiple forts, outposts, or even improvements that you won't find in the normal game, such as the ability to increase the number of outposts (from 7 to 13) and getting the star fort improvement and all outpost improvements for free. Furthermore, you'll have the chance to send a total of 3 factories from your home city (2 home city cards, one for aging up) which will give you a constant trickle of food, wood, or coin.