PDA

View Full Version : Invalid CD Key Error - Resolution -

MS Ryz0n
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
There is a current CD key issue affecting some recent purchases for Age of Empires III: Complete Collection

Issue:
When launching Age of Empires III - some users receive "Invalid CD Key" after entering the Steam provided CD key

Affects:
Certain copies of Age of Empires III: Complete Collection purchased on / after Sunday 1/8/2012 and prior to 1/11/2012

Temporary Work-Around:
See Resolution Below Right click on Age of Empires III:Complete Collection in your steam library and select "Play: Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties". Everything except for Multiplayer mode may be played (including campaigns from AOEIII and The War Chiefs).

Resolution: (Updated 1/10/12)
We have identified which CD keys are affected and have worked with Valve to provide replacement keys to the users experiencing this issue.
If you received an invalid CD key please do the following at this time:

Right click on Age of Empires III in your Steam Library
Select "Properties"
In the window that pops up, select the "Local Files" tab
Select "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..."

You should receive a new CD key in your system that will be available the next time you launch Age of Empires III.

Thank you for your patience as we dealt with the issue - we apologize for the inconvenience.

Archived Updates

*Update - 1/9/2012*
We are currently waiting for the keys to be produced and verified internally. Once this happens they will be provided to valve to distribution to users.

Thank you all for your patience, and hopefully I can shed a little bit of light on the situation. Initially we produced a large batch of keys for the game for steam, which get distributed to users upon purchase. Unfortunately it appears that at a certain point in the batch, a portion of the CD keys distributed somehow were bad. We're investigating internally what exactly caused the issue. At this time we have determined all users affected by the bad keys and if your CD key is invalid at this time, please rest assured you will be receiving a replacement.

In the meantime a replacement set of CD Keys is being made for the affected users and re-run through the system to verify the validity end to end. As soon as the keys are created and verified, we'll be getting them to valve to provide to you. These keys will provide full game access. Unfortunately the process is not instantaneous and does take time.

Again I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience and am working with the teams here to get the bad keys replaced as quickly as possible. I will continue to update this thread with additional information when available.

*Update - 1/10/2012*
New keys for affected users have been created, tested, and verified - and are on their way to Steam. Once steam is able to get them into their system and updated for the affected users we will let you know! We're almost there =]

neglectoru
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
By "some recent purchases", I assume you mean this is an ongoing problem.

I just purchased about 15 minutes ago, and had this problem - Invalid CD key

Will new keys be issued to all users who encounter problems?

MS Ryz0n
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
By "some recent purchases", I assume you mean this is an ongoing problem.

I just purchased about 15 minutes ago, and had this problem - Invalid CD key

Will new keys be issued to all users who encounter problems?

Yes, it will.

babeslayer66
01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Invalid CD key here too.

DirtyHarry50
01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I tried the temporary work around and it started up fine but when I choose single player I see three campaign choices that I think are all Asian Dynasties? I couldn't figure out how to begin with the first game.

Unfortunately, my CD key is no good either. I just bought the game a few minutes ago. Will we get some message here informing us when new keys show up for us in Steam so I know to try again inputting the corrected key I should be getting?

Lastly, an ETA would be nice. I'd like to just fire up the original game and play. Thanks.

MS Ryz0n
01-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I tried the temporary work around and it started up fine but when I choose single player I see three campaign choices that I think are all Asian Dynasties? I couldn't figure out how to begin with the first game.

Unfortunately, my CD key is no good either. I just bought the game a few minutes ago. Will we get some message here informing us when new keys show up for us in Steam so I know to try again inputting the corrected key I should be getting?

Lastly, an ETA would be nice. I'd like to just fire up the original game and play. Thanks.

So, the first campaign you see "Blood Ice and Steel" is the campaign from the core game. The second is from TWC, and the third is unique to TAD. I hope that makes sense.

The redistribution of working keys to the affected users is done through valve, unfortunately I don't know the specifics of how that works (if you'll get an email or if a different key will just appear in your steam account).

In regards to an ETA - Our goal is to get them to you asap. I'm confident we have determined the route that needs to be taken in order to resolve the issue, and it's just getting everything in place from the different teams. I feel optimistic that there's a good chance we'll potentially have them to you tomorrow (Monday) sometime if everything goes smoothly. I will continue to update tomorrow as I get more information.
You have all been awesome so far and patient, and I will do my best to repay that patience with as much information as I can.

jamieoscar
01-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Thought I was going blind when I couldn't get my key to work for the 5th time =p

Togsy
01-09-2012, 04:52 AM
How will we receive these new codes? Will it be through a steam mail or e-mail?

heffebaycay
01-09-2012, 05:42 AM
How will we receive these new codes? Will it be through a steam mail or e-mail?
Valve will most likely silently change the key registered to your Steam account. I don't think you will receive any notification either via email or Steam IM. What matters here is that, as Ryz0n said, you won't have to do anything to fix the issue. :)

Picchia
01-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Valve will most likely silently change the key registered to your Steam account. I don't think you will receive any notification either via email or Steam IM. What matters here is that, as Ryz0n said, you won't have to do anything to fix the issue. :)
Alright, so I assume that if I purchase the game now, put it in my backlog and play it in a month or two, then I won't notice a thing.

waterwizz22
01-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I bought two copies to play over lan. What time frame is to be expected before I can play the game with my wife? I was greatly looking forward to playing it this week. Oh I see maybe Monday, which is today. I should have read more closely. Thank you.

Felixlynch777
01-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Invalid CD key here as well, I bought it on Saturday though.

DirtyHarry50
01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
So, the first campaign you see "Blood Ice and Steel" is the campaign from the core game. The second is from TWC, and the third is unique to TAD. I hope that makes sense.

The redistribution of working keys to the affected users is done through valve, unfortunately I don't know the specifics of how that works (if you'll get an email or if a different key will just appear in your steam account).

In regards to an ETA - Our goal is to get them to you asap. I'm confident we have determined the route that needs to be taken in order to resolve the issue, and it's just getting everything in place from the different teams. I feel optimistic that there's a good chance we'll potentially have them to you tomorrow (Monday) sometime if everything goes smoothly. I will continue to update tomorrow as I get more information.
You have all been awesome so far and patient, and I will do my best to repay that patience with as much information as I can.

Thanks very much. I wondered later on if that was the case, that there are three main campaigns to choose from initially. Thanks for clearing that up. Thanks also for following up with the keys issue and keeping us posted. It's much appreciated.

F-S-K
01-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to pop in to say that I am affected by this as well, but I purchased back on Friday. Only just had bandwidth to download and try the game today, but couldn't get it to recognize the CD key.

Would appreciate a timely resolution.

Vulkanit
01-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Have purchased just an hour ago!!! Got that problem.

MS Ryz0n
01-09-2012, 09:25 AM
I bought two copies to play over lan. What time frame is to be expected before I can play the game with my wife? I was greatly looking forward to playing it this week. Oh I see maybe Monday, which is today. I should have read more closely. Thank you.

You should be able to play LAN right now actually - just launch the TAD expansion (gives you access to everything in the game so you want to do that anyway) and go right to LAN.

cheeriokilla
01-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Multiplayer works through hamachi, just played a 2pc vs 2ai match

MS Ryz0n
01-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Multiplayer works through hamachi, just played a 2pc vs 2ai match

That emulates a LAN environment over WAN (i.e. LAN works fine ;) )

Scorchin
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Is there an ETA on this? I'd love to be able to play this some time tonight. Thanks for the clear updates about what's going on!

MS Ryz0n
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Is there an ETA on this? I'd love to be able to play this some time tonight. Thanks for the clear updates about what's going on!

You can play the campaign still - just launch one of the expansions.

Osviux
01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I bought the game and the CD-Key doesn't work for me too. Can I ask when is this going to be fixed?

Nonomori
01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I just bought it an hour ago, same problem. PLEASE fix it.

paulfinch
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I bought the game and the CD-Key doesn't work for me too. Can I ask when is this going to be fixed?

I have the same doubt. :confused:

MS Ryz0n
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Basically:
New keys are being created, once we get them I'll be doing a bit of testing to verify them and get them all set up in the game service. After that we'll be sending them right to valve who then will deliver them to the affected users.
I do not have a time estimate on how long the entire process will take at this time as there are a multitude of teams in play. Rest assured, they are coming though. We've identified the issue, what users are affected, and the process required to resolve it for you as quickly as possible.

Please note that at this time these keys will only affect your ability to play multiplayer. All campaigns are accessible from The Asian Dynasties Expansion which you CAN launch right from your steam library.

James009
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
That emulates a LAN environment over WAN (i.e. LAN works fine ;) )

I can do a 2 vs. 2 (ai) no problem but I cannot get more then 2 human players in the same game. It just won't let the 3rd player join the game for some reason. Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

I understand the CD key problems are occurring, is that a cause? Also, is the CD key problem preventing me from creating an online account? It keeps simply failing to make an account.

Anyways, keep up the good work, I'm sure you guys will have it fixed soon.

MS Ryz0n
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I can do a 2 vs. 2 (ai) no problem but I cannot get more then 2 human players in the same game. It just won't let the 3rd player join the game for some reason. Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

I understand the CD key problems are occurring, is that a cause? Also, is the CD key problem preventing me from creating an online account? It keeps simply failing to make an account.

Anyways, keep up the good work, I'm sure you guys will have it fixed soon.

It is possible that it won't let more than 2 play via lan due to the CD key issue, however I don't know at this time.

We have identified the cause of the issue and are working on the resolution at this time. The CD key issue will prevent you from creating new ESO accounts at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience.

IamXIXIV
01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Invalid CD key

kroat
01-10-2012, 05:45 AM
The new cd key will be sent to all that have purchased aoe3, or do we have to signal the error to recive a new one ?

Zahpeter
01-10-2012, 06:04 AM
All of the buyers affected by the problems will get new key without signaling the error. However is pretty "meh" that we have to deal with this. And more "meh" that it already has lasted some days.

mach2k5
01-10-2012, 10:13 AM

I understand it takes time, but you could have stopped the sale of the software until you reached a final conclusion. Now I feel let down by yourselves. I purchased 2 copies one for my wife and I to play, now without the full product we feel cheated.

Hizaki
01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I understand it takes time, but you could have stopped the sale of the software until you reached a final conclusion. Now I feel let down by yourselves. I purchased 2 copies one for my wife and I to play, now without the full product we feel cheated.

Relax man, you aren't the only who got invalid cd-keys.

Its just a problem they will fix asap.

Its Microsoft, not EA Games or Bethesda. Trust in Ryzon.

MS Ryz0n
01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Thread topic updated to reflect most recent developments, affected users should be getting the newly verified keys in the near future. I'll update once steam gets the keys into their system and to everyone who received the issue.
Hopefully I'll get to sleep soon.

-Ryz0n

thegreatjava
01-10-2012, 02:17 PM
How long is the near future I think we deserve some sort of compension

Picchia
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Thread topic updated to reflect most recent developments, affected users should be getting the newly verified keys in the near future. I'll update once steam gets the keys into their system and to everyone who received the issue.
Hopefully I'll get to sleep soon.

-Ryz0n
Thanks!

MS Ryz0n
01-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Ok folks, this is the news you've been hoping for!
Any users with an affected steam CD key should now have a new CD key in their account. You'll need to just verify the game cache for the new CD key to propagate to your client.

To Receive your new CD key if yours is currently invalid:
Select "Properties"

You should receive a new CD key in your system that will be available the next time you launch Age of Empires III.

Qlaras
01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Took between 3-5 minutes to 'Verify local files' (I suggest going for a stretch, get a drink of water, read some news sites) - and had 1 file it had to redownload, and voila! New key that setup took.

Capt0z
01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the quick fix on this. I've had a lot of games with problems like this but the developers don't care. So thanks for getting my game working so quickly :)

Hizaki
01-10-2012, 08:02 PM
CD Key changed here.

Thank you soo much, Ryzon.

DirtyHarry50
01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the fix. Worked like a charm tonight. Thanks for the ongoing communication too. It didn't bother me much knowing it was being worked on with a fix on the way.

waterwizz22
01-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank you.

babeslayer66
01-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks heaps.

birddy
01-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Perfect! Thx

paulfinch
01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
It's working fine here, thank you Ryzon.

Devildog1796
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for working on this problem.

RedGobbo
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Just to confirm - new key is working fine - Thanks.

F-S-K
01-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Also chiming in with thanks, got my new key today and working good so far.

VenenoZ
01-12-2012, 02:49 AM
12/01/2012 - Thanks!!

Braeburn
01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
01/12/2012 - Thanks from me as well, it works great now! Now if we could only get Age of Mythology as well!

DeceptorofDoom
01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
i have the same problem with the cd key

timothyshrimp
01-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Please could you tell me when I am going to get my key it has been a week should I be waiting any longer?

Please reply ASAP
:mad:

timothyshrimp
01-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Ok folks, this is the news you've been hoping for!
Any users with an affected steam CD key should now have a new CD key in their account. You'll need to just verify the game cache for the new CD key to propagate to your client.

To Receive your new CD key if yours is currently invalid:
Select "Properties"

hope this helps:)

Ozl
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks xD this is great!

MS Ryz0n
01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Edited yours timothy since it was quoting me.
As mentioned, this issue has been resolved - please see the beginning of the thread for more information.

vice86
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Here's a possibly dumb question. Should the CD Key work for Ages III that I bought year ago? I can't find disc 1 and thought the CD Key would work for steam and I could just re-download it.

MS Ryz0n
01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Here's a possibly dumb question. Should the CD Key work for Ages III that I bought year ago? I can't find disc 1 and thought the CD Key would work for steam and I could just re-download it.

It may work, though there is no guarantee.
I'd suggest using the CD key and download through steam.

ariesest
01-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Edited yours timothy since it was quoting me.
As mentioned, this issue has been resolved - please see the beginning of the thread for more information.

Hello,

I still had this problem, seems Steam didn't solved it.:confused:

MS Ryz0n
01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I still had this problem, seems Steam didn't solved it.:confused:

Have you followed the steps outlined in the beginning of the thread? When did you purchase the game through steam? Can you give me a bit more detail about what you've done and what exactly is happening?

ariesest
02-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Have you followed the steps outlined in the beginning of the thread? When did you purchase the game through steam? Can you give me a bit more detail about what you've done and what exactly is happening?

Hello Ryz0n,

Very thank your reply.
After I reviewed solution guide, sorry for that I missed one step.
I can play it as well now. :)

Viper___92
04-27-2012, 07:28 PM
CD KEY REQUIRED >?? its a free online game i downloaded it IT SAID FREE TO PLAY , why do i need a cd key ( That was not provided with the download )

MS Ryz0n
04-30-2012, 10:06 AM
CD KEY REQUIRED >?? its a free online game i downloaded it IT SAID FREE TO PLAY , why do i need a cd key ( That was not provided with the download )

This forum is for Age of Empires III, not age of empires online.
If you have questions regarding AOEO please check that section of the steam forums or www.ageofempiresonline.com
With regards to your specific issue Viper - the solution can be found here:
http://forums.ageofempiresonline.com/forums/thread/187470.aspx

musketeer925
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Does AoE:O have it's own section on the Steam forum? Clicking "Forums" on the game's page on Steam just goes to ageofempiresonline.com

MS Ryz0n
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Does AoE:O have it's own section on the Steam forum? Clicking "Forums" on the game's page on Steam just goes to ageofempiresonline.com

Yes, it does. Click the breadcrumb up top on the #-C and select "Age of Empires Online" to view it. The official forums are more frequently viewed though.

russianpeanut
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
i just bought the complete edition on sale today, and i am EXTREMELY disappointed to see that I am unable to play it today before work like I was planning

I own 162 games on steam and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I was given a cd key that doesn't work and i can't play the game that i paid for. i read the thread, tried the work around and it does nothing. i did not receive another key

MS Ryz0n
07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
i just bought the complete edition on sale today, and i am EXTREMELY disappointed to see that I am unable to play it today before work like I was planning

I own 162 games on steam and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I was given a cd key that doesn't work and i can't play the game that i paid for. i read the thread, tried the work around and it does nothing. i did not receive another key

This issue was resolved in January, current keys should all be valid.

To clarify you are currently launching the core AOE3 game (not an expansion) from your library and entering the steam provided CD key at the prompt? What is in the error window that pops up?

russianpeanut
07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
This issue was resolved in January, current keys should all be valid.

To clarify you are currently launching the core AOE3 game (not an expansion) from your library and entering the steam provided CD key at the prompt? What is in the error window that pops up?

thank you for responding so quickly

i can open the expansions fine, but the main game asks me for the key. when i put the key in, it tells me it is invalid, and thats as far as it lets me go

MS Ryz0n
07-16-2012, 11:48 AM
thank you for responding so quickly

i can open the expansions fine, but the main game asks me for the key. when i put the key in, it tells me it is invalid, and thats as far as it lets me go

Going to take this to PM address the issue. Thanks.

ChelseaGrin
07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
I also bought the game today, and when I launch "Play Age Of Empires 3 Complete Collection I also get "You have not entered a valid Product Key.
But when I launch the other two expansions I don't get no product key activation? Is there a work around to this?

DaddyBeer
07-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Yup me too. Just purchased from the Steam Sale and went to play - got the 'invalid key' error. Can anyone help me? I would be really grateful :)

MS Ryz0n
07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Previous one looked like a typo, Chelsea and Daddy - can you please shoot me a PM with the key provided so I can verify it (just copy / paste it from steam)

DaddyBeer
07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Previous one looked like a typo, Chelsea and Daddy - can you please shoot me a PM with the key provided so I can verify it (just copy / paste it from steam)

Thank you - PM sent :)

pooleythebear
07-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Same thing happened to me too... I can send the key via pm if you wnat?

MS Ryz0n
07-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes pooley. So far the ones I've gotten have been just an issue with viewing the full key and some of the tricky level combinations (B and 8 for example).

A great thing to do is to open the CD key window in steam and hit 'copy to clipboard', then paste the key in notepad. When the AOE3 key window pops up, simply copy and paste each portion of the code into the boxes to make sure they're being put in correctly.

pooleythebear
07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
I was quite sure that it was an invalid cd key. However tonight when I get home I will do what you suggest and PM you the key. Thanks.

mmtopping23
07-18-2012, 01:41 PM
I recently bought the game with the summer sale. Installed the game fine, everything works on it accept when I go to create an account to play online. It says the cd key is already in use or invalid. Also it never asked for my cd key when I started up the game. The only time I can put the cd key in is when I click on the games tab on the top and click activate a product on steam and the error on that is invalid cd key. So what can I do?

mmtopping23
07-19-2012, 05:43 PM
any help here?

MS Ryz0n
07-19-2012, 06:02 PM
mmtopping, please first go launch the core AOE3 game off of steam instead of running one of the expansions. When you launch the core game for the first time it will bring up the CD key request prompt. Enter the steam provided Cd key there.

mmtopping23
07-21-2012, 05:53 AM
I can only seem to open it through my steam and cant open it through my computer. I have installed it twice and still cant seem to open it without steam. Any suggestions?

MS Ryz0n
07-21-2012, 11:23 AM
So when you right click on your game in your steam library, select "play game..." not - play Age of Empires III: The war chiefs or The Asian dynasties. If it doesn't request a CD key then, shoot me a PM here with the PID to your copy of the game. find the PID by going to the options help and tools menu - then 'about'. The PID will be on the bottom window.

Ferum
10-30-2012, 02:33 AM
Age of Empires III: Complete Collection steam serial number does not work! And the game does not run, just run the add-ons that do not require you to enter the key at startup. I checked the cache but the new key did not let me.

GabrielFR
11-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I have a serious problem. My game doesn't ask for a CD key at all on launch, and I can't create an ESO account to play online because of this (Error 101). Can anyone help me?

musketeer925
11-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Create a support ticket:
http://www.agecommunity.com/support.aspx

This page might also be helpful:
http://www.agecommunity.com/101.aspx

McArthur
01-02-2013, 01:07 AM
I have a serious problem. My game doesn't ask for a CD key at all on launch, and I can't create an ESO account to play online because of this (Error 101). Can anyone help me?
Same problem here. Just bought it on steam, started the core game, no cd-key-request and unable to create an ESO account.

matchlessman
01-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi,

I've purchased this game a few days ago and I have the invalid CD key problem. I've tried the 'verify game cache' but it doesn't help. What else can I do?

MS Ryz0n
01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Same problem here. Just bought it on steam, started the core game, no cd-key-request and unable to create an ESO account.

Make sure you first launch the core AOE3 game, not an expansion.
If it's still not asking for a key, you probably had the game previously installed and the key is still in the system. You can remove the old one quickly using the scripts at eso.com/101.aspx (Just run the one for your system)

MatchlessMan,
Please submit a support ticket if you're getting an invalid CD key error. eso.com/support.aspx. Also, make sure you're using the steam CD key on the Steam version only, if you have an older retail version it may not work with that.

jas14121987
08-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I have recently purchased age of empires 3 four days ago. Been trying to get the cd key..byy ptessing the cd key button in my library..but no key shows up..I have tried for the past 4 days. I have left my laptop on for 12 hrs but still no cd key. I left a complain in your steam support. Please check. My email is jasbiante_87@yahoo.com my purchase details are with steam support.