PDA

View Full Version : My game is not saving.

xboxer
01-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Everytime when I quit the game, I have to start from scratch.

Can the dev please look intot this?

And yes, I have tried the usual ritual of validating game files.

turtlesoup
01-12-2012, 04:00 AM
did you try to toggle off/on cloud support? no idea if this game even support it but that's the first thing I would look at.

xboxer
01-12-2012, 04:09 AM
did you try to toggle off/on cloud support? no idea if this game even support it but that's the first thing I would look at.

This game doesn't support cloud.

Oblivion_au
01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
fwiw, you should have a save file generated in your my doc/ my games/unreal engine 3 / chopgame/savedate folder?

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 08:45 AM
fwiw, you should have a save file generated in your my doc/ my games/unreal engine 3 / chopgame/savedate folder?

Thanks for helping out, Oblivion_au! We're currently looking into the issue on our end to see what could possibly be causing his save file to not get generated properly. Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on soon...

xboxer
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for helping out, Oblivion_au! We're currently looking into the issue on our end to see what could possibly be causing his save file to not get generated properly. Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on soon...

It's not just me.

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
It's not just me.

Just out of curiosity, what are your machine specs?

xboxer
01-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are your machine specs?

Intel E5200
4 GB RAM
ATI HD5750

Windows 7 64 bit

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 01:36 PM
When you play the game and complete a level, do you get anything in your \My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ChopGame\SaveData\ folder?

Dayton17
01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
My game also does not save, so this is great.

Corei7 2600K
GTX560 Ti
8Gb DDR3

Dayton17
01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Update. I completed the first level, for the fifth time, and minimized the game and there was no save game in the folder, it was empty.

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Update. I completed the first level, for the fifth time, and minimized the game and there was no save game in the folder, it was empty.

Are you by any chance running the game in Steam's "Offline Mode"?

Dragzonox
01-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Got the same problem here.
I'm running on a Quad Core Q6600, GeForce 260GTX and with 4 gigs of ram.

Steam here is not running in offline mode.

This bug is really a huge overlook on the part were you beta tested your IP.

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Can you guys please verify the integrity of your game cache? Thanks!

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Also, are you able to post leaderboard scores or unlock achievements?

Dayton17
01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
No, i am not running it in offline mode, I have verified my cache, and i haven't unlocked any achievements and can not post scores. Still does not work, does the game use another program for saving? Such as Games for windows live? I could not save my game on Batman Arkham city and i ended up finding out it was because i had to reinstall GMWL?

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 02:52 PM
If you can't post scores it sounds like an issue with Steam somehow not getting initialized properly, which would also explain the save data issue.

Do you get the little Steam popup notification in the bottom corner of the game when it launches? Are you able to do SHIFT+TAB to view the Steam overlay?

IRL Hawkeye
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
If you can't post scores it sounds like an issue with Steam somehow not getting initialized properly, which would also explain the save data issue.

Do you get the little Steam popup notification in the bottom corner of the game when it launches? Are you able to do SHIFT+TAB to view the Steam overlay?

I get the notification when I boot up the game, and I can Shift+Tab. Also, I'm not running Steam in offline mode, and yet the game won't save.

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I get the notification when I boot up the game, and I can Shift+Tab. Also, I'm not running Steam in offline mode, and yet the game won't save.

Are you not able to post leaderboard scores or unlock achievements as well?

IRL Hawkeye
01-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Are you not able to post leaderboard scores or unlock achievements as well?

I haven't tried to post scores on leaderboards, so I'll give that a try, but I have earned an achievement: Trigger Happy.

EDIT: I went and checked, and I do have a score posted on the leaderboards. I got to ask though, is it really meant to take so long to bring up the leaderboards? I was waiting for a good 3-5 minutes just for the boards to load up.

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I haven't tried to post scores on leaderboards, so I'll give that a try, but I have earned an achievement: Trigger Happy.

Hmmm, it sounds like it's having trouble trying to create the save file ( obviously ) but we're not exactly sure why just yet. You wouldn't happen to have any unusual characters in your Steam username would you? If you did, it might have trouble creating that file as it uses your Steam username for the filename.

Also, I wonder if there is any sort of access level problem where it's not able to write to that folder ( \My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ChopGame\SaveData\ ) for some reason. Have you tried running Steam or the game as administrator?

I appreciate you guys being patient with us as we try to figure out what's going on. I promise you we're doing everything we can to get this resolved as soon as possible!

IRL Hawkeye
01-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, it sounds like it's having trouble trying to create the save file ( obviously ) but we're not exactly sure why just yet. You wouldn't happen to have any unusual characters in your Steam username would you? If you did, it might have trouble creating that file as it uses your Steam username for the filename.

Also, I wonder if there is any sort of access level problem where it's not able to write to that folder ( \My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ChopGame\SaveData\ ) for some reason. Have you tried running Steam or the game as administrator?

I appreciate you guys being patient with us as we try to figure out what's going on. I promise you we're doing everything we can to get this resolved as soon as possible!

The name I use in-game is |M-R| IRL-Hawkeye. Would that happen to cause any issues, do you think?

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
The name I use in-game is |M-R| IRL-Hawkeye. Would that happen to cause any issues, do you think?

Ah! That would totally explain it! Those pipe characters "|" aren't legal filename characters in Windows so it wouldn't be able to write it out.

To the other users experiencing the same issue: do you also have any of the following characters in your username: \ / : * ? < > |

So, we'll obviously fix this in an update ASAP... but as a test, would you be willing to change your name temporarily to see if that solves the issue as a sanity check?

IRL Hawkeye
01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
OK, A new update for the devs. I went and altered the name I used so that the tags I used were removed, thus going by the name IRL-Hawkeye, then I played through the first mission, quit out and then rebooted the game to see if the game data saved this time.

I'm happy to say that the devs were right. It was the name I was using that was stopping the game from saving at all. My advice would be to consider altering the name you are using to one close to your account name. That could, in theory, solve your save issues. I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it might solve it.

RegularKid
01-12-2012, 05:28 PM
OK, A new update for the devs. I went and altered the name I used so that the tags I used were removed, thus going by the name IRL-Hawkeye, then I played through the first mission, quit out and then rebooted the game to see if the game data saved this time.

I'm happy to say that the devs were right. It was the name I was using that was stopping the game from saving at all. My advice would be to consider altering the name you are using to one close to your account name. That could, in theory, solve your save issues. I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it might solve it.

Ok, great! I appreciate you verifying that for us!

So, like I said, we'll put out a fix for this as soon as humanly possibly... the good news is we have this very simple band-aid in the mean time ( changing your in-game name ).

We'll add this to our sticky FAQ section. Thanks again!

Dayton17
01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I must've have gotten far enough in the game to unlock an achievement but after waiting a minute or so i decided leader boards weren't working. My name does include odd characters as mentioned, i will change my name temporarily and that will probably fix it, if not ill repost but thanks for the help.

IRL Hawkeye
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok, great! I appreciate you verifying that for us!

So, like I said, we'll put out a fix for this as soon as humanly possibly... the good news is we have this very simple band-aid in the mean time ( changing your in-game name ).

We'll add this to our sticky FAQ section. Thanks again!

No problem, man! Happy to help!

gimpymoo
01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I know I am on a one man crusade, but can we just have cloud support ;)

davidpw
01-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I have the same problem. There are no saves and I have to start the game each time.

I am running in ONLINE mode and there are no special characters in my profile.

There is no save game in the SaveData folder, although there has been a folder created.

David

davidpw
01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
a restart of STEAM seemed to fix my saving issue.

David

Dragzonox
01-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Make sure that you don't have any special characters in your steam nickname, like \/:*?"<>|.
I wonder if there isn't a way that this could be fixed, so the save doesn't use the nickname but the ID.

RegularKid
01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Make sure that you don't have any special characters in your steam nickname, like \/:*?"<>|.
I wonder if there isn't a way that this could be fixed, so the save doesn't use the nickname but the ID.

We'll have a patch out soon that does exactly that! :)

daniu
01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Sorry, I have to say this: lol, noobs :D

Game's great though.

selfatvi
01-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Sorry, I have to say this: lol, noobs :D

Game's great though.

He is totally talking about you RegularKid :D